Thread Rating:

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 8th, 2012 at 8:53:29 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Atheism sees this suffering but has no good response. It robs the suffering people of hope and as far as I understand does nothing to inspire others to serve. Every once and a while you hear noble sounding ideas that atheism makes us better appreciate the brief time we are alive and that we must just accept "reality" that there is nothing more.

No good response?

"I, too, felt ready to start life all over again. It was as if that great rush of anger had washed me clean, emptied me of hope, and, gazing up at the dark sky spangled with its signs and stars, for the first time, the first, I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe. To feel it so like myself, indeed, so brotherly, made me realize that I’d been happy, and that I was happy still."

--- Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
May 8th, 2012 at 9:00:13 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe. To feel it so like myself, indeed, so brotherly, made me realize that I’d been happy, and that I was happy still."

--- Albert Camus, "The Stranger"

Thats stunning, I've not read that before. If it is
benign indifference, and we're all in the same
boat, whats wrong with that. Its comforting. A
lot more comforting than thinking I'm being judged
on every thought I have. Ick..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
May 8th, 2012 at 9:09:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I think the quote is, if god didn't exist, we would have invented him.

Voltaire is saying, "Let us accept that God exists. But what if he didn't? Well, we would have to invent him, because he is necessary for the individual / society, for whatever reasons. So then, if he DIDN'T exist, we would actually be living exactly the same way, believing in a God that is not there."
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
May 8th, 2012 at 9:58:31 PM permalink
My favorite bible quote, Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, because im the meanest s.o.b in the valley. :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 8th, 2012 at 10:13:48 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Voltaire is saying, "Let us accept that God exists. But what if he didn't? Well, we would have to invent him, because he is necessary for the individual / society, for whatever reasons. So then, if he DIDN'T exist, we would actually be living exactly the same way, believing in a God that is not there."

I think both sides could agree on that. Otherwise, what would explain all the different religions out there? Surely there must be something in our DNA compelling us to it. It is just a matter of whether we're right.

My point was that if we suppose for one minute that one day FrG lost his faith then he would be able to carry on his priestly duties, knowing that even blind faith is a good and comforting thing in a wicked world.

Quote: rainman

My favorite bible quote, Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, because im the meanest s.o.b in the valley. :)

I thought that was the creed of the Marine Corps.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
May 8th, 2012 at 10:14:53 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Welcome back Father. I think you were missed by many, including me.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the way I interpret your comments above is, "Maybe the man in the sky doesn't exist after all, but humanity is better off with the illusion that he is." Maybe you're right, but I tend to doubt it. When one looks at all the wars and genocide done in the name of religion, I'll take the alternative.

Thanks Wizard I haven't had much time or comments to contribute lately. My homilies haven't been up to snuff or have been too specific to the needs of my parish to really warrant putting on my blog. I've been trying to keep up with things though and still enjoy reading all the good posts.

Yeah, I would say you may be reading too much into it, because I am most definitely not saying that God is only a helpful illusion. I am saying he is a real answer to human suffering that goes far beyond "benign indifference". The point you make about violence done in the name of religion is a good one. I think I have pointed out before that the last century was the bloodiest in all of human history and it was in my opinion mainly because of a turning away from religion. The alternative to religion and God is the most evil and anti-religious government sponsored genocide and war ever seen on the face of the earth. I'll take God over the horrors of what we have seen in recent memory done in the name of rejecting God and religion.
rainman
rainman
May 8th, 2012 at 10:19:17 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think both sides could agree on that. Otherwise, what would explain all the different religions out there? Surely there must be something in our DNA compelling us to it. It is just a matter of whether we're right.

My point was that if we suppose for one minute that one day FrG lost his faith then he would be able to carry on his priestly duties, knowing that even blind faith is a good and comforting thing in a wicked world.

I thought that was the creed of the Marine Corps.

Could be I had to have heard it some where. No wait isnt marine corp. semper fi?
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 8th, 2012 at 10:28:07 PM permalink

I'll take God over the horrors of what we have seen in recent memory done in the name of rejecting God and religion.

Good grief, FrG. What is that supposed to mean?
MrV
MrV
May 8th, 2012 at 10:40:22 PM permalink

The alternative to religion and God is the most evil and anti-religious government sponsored genocide and war ever seen on the face of the earth.

So then, you support religion and the state being intertwined, i.e. religious government?

Hello, Iran!

And you despise the separation of church and state?

Ewwww ... America.

Your priorities are a bit ... skewed ...
"What, me worry?"
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
May 8th, 2012 at 10:50:32 PM permalink
Hey Father Gamble I am having a hard time sleeping due to my guilt and emptiness inside... mind if I bash you for a bit? Maybe if I can pick a fight with a priest on the internet and convince him that there is no god I can finally get some peace and sleep.
100% risk of ruin
FrGamble
FrGamble
May 8th, 2012 at 11:08:18 PM permalink
No, I support governments and philosophies that are not anti-religious. I would view Iran as anti-religious (except of course to Islam). I think the best way to support religion and the state is seen in the good old USA where God is invoked and trusted in, but no particular Church or religion is established or promoted. This is good for religious freedom and protects the various religions from state interference or control. It also gives our representatives, judges, and leaders the freedom to hold any deep individual religious convictions and not be judged as being wrong.

I guess you could also have a benevolent dictator but these are hard to come by outside of Vatican City.
rainman
rainman
May 8th, 2012 at 11:14:43 PM permalink
Correct me if im wrong but religious wars have spilt alot of blood.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
May 9th, 2012 at 12:28:34 AM permalink
Everything you see is just a happy accident of circumstance - the human ears and eyes - orgasm - reproduction - cheetahs, elephants, everything. Yet the people who insist the "science is settled" can't manage to spawn the simplest of living organisms from lifeless elements, despite their vast, superior knowledge and understanding of the universe.

I am not a religious person - I have not, personally, felt the touch of God, or Jesus Christ, or Mohammed, nor do I have faith in the "scientists."

What I do believe is I am me. I am free to exercise my abilities to my betterment without undue interference from you. I do not exist on this Earth to benefit you, nor do I expect my happiness or comfort to be your burden.
MrV
MrV
May 9th, 2012 at 4:50:39 PM permalink
I will concede that there are some things which are unknowable.

For example, the universe: if it was created 14B years ago: what was before that?

Logically, time must have ALWAYS been existent.

Whoa.
"What, me worry?"
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
May 9th, 2012 at 5:11:29 PM permalink

For example, the universe: if it was created 14B years ago: what was before that?

There have been 5 universes before this one. Haven't you seen the Matrix movies?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
May 9th, 2012 at 8:05:57 PM permalink
FrGamble " I guess you could also have a benevolent dictator but these are hard to come by outside of Vatican City. "

We have one here is Las Vegas. His name is Roger Snow.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
May 9th, 2012 at 8:37:49 PM permalink

I will concede that there are some things which are unknowable.

Logically, time must have ALWAYS been existent.

Whoa.

Not necessarily. Time is simply a measure of change. All things with which we measure that change exist inside of this Universe. (It's not clocks that appear to slow down as they approach the speed of light. It's the change that they measure.) Without a Universe, there is no change and thus no "before that" as far as we're concerned.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
MrV
MrV
May 9th, 2012 at 9:10:09 PM permalink
But the "Big Bang:" essentially, something from nothing (?).

I'm neither physicist nor cosmologist, but this just sounds impossible.

Everything, it seems to me, must have ALWAYS existed; I mean, how can the universe just go *poof* and then "Here I am."

Sort of a spin on the old "Which came first, the chicken or the egg" riddle.

Boggles the mind ... but not enough to make me reach for that old cop out, that old crutch, religion.

I just keep my mind and eyes clear and scan the world around me, seeing what is there to be seen, knowing what is there to be known.
"What, me worry?"
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
May 9th, 2012 at 9:15:04 PM permalink

how can the universe just go *poof* and then "Here I am."

like Endora on Bewitched, that's how...
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2012 at 9:17:03 PM permalink
Why is it so hard to believe the universe has
always been here in one form or another.
Or that we have always been here in one
form or another. Science has proven nothing
can be destroyed, only converted to something
else.

We see the illusion of things being created and
destroyed, so we apply it to everything.
Oliver
Oliver
  • Threads: 0
May 9th, 2012 at 9:26:04 PM permalink
There's a whole lot of stuff going on with "nothingness". Nothingness is actually quite unstable. Virtual particles popping in and out of existence as well as what can be vast amounts of positive and negative energy (Cancels out to zero).

Back to God: Why are people that don't believe in God so determined to make sure that nobody believes in God? Why is that? Is it because they were molested by a preacher or is it because they were abused by someone?
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
May 9th, 2012 at 9:30:31 PM permalink
oh please, the atheists are not the ones
who set out to destroy every indigenous culture on earth
with violent proselytizing.

if you want to believe in god, that's your business.
keep it out of my bedroom and out of my statehouse.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
rainman
rainman
May 9th, 2012 at 9:38:07 PM permalink
This thread and all the posts in it prove my theory to be true. Thats the nobody really knows theory, Nobody includes you and myself, along with everyone else. :}
Oliver
Oliver
May 9th, 2012 at 9:44:37 PM permalink
If there's indeed a multiverse, and life can evolve as we did, then why can't God? Wouldn't probability dictate that a God could also form?
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2012 at 10:11:11 PM permalink
Quote: Oliver

Back to God: Why are people that don't believe in God so determined to make sure that nobody believes in God?

Where is that happening, exactly. At all those
atheist churches? At the atheist rally's? At all
'atheist only' clubs? You wouldn't even know
atheists existed if Xtions weren't so obsessed
with them.
MrV
MrV
May 9th, 2012 at 10:47:49 PM permalink

Back to God: Why are people that don't believe in God so determined to make sure that nobody believes in God? Why is that? Is it because they were molested by a preacher or is it because they were abused by someone?

Actually, that happens more than you know.

But it never happened to me; I was never an altar boy, and never spent time alone with a priest, except in the confession box.

No, my atheistic point of view developed in my mid-teens and crystalized in college.

Just blame it on sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 9th, 2012 at 11:38:39 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Could be I had to have heard it some where. No wait isnt marine corp. semper fi?

They at least say that in the movie Jarhead, which is a Marine movie. Here is the clip as evidence. "Semper fi" I believe is the official creed. The "valley" one is unofficial.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
May 10th, 2012 at 4:18:52 AM permalink

If there's indeed a multiverse, and life can evolve as we did, then why can't God? Wouldn't probability dictate that a God could also form?

Philosophically, A god must necessarily be the most powerful and supreme being there is. If your god invention is not supreme, them that leaves wiggle room for someone elses god invention to be even more powerful than yours. Therefor, all gods must necessarily be dialed to 11 before you can imprint upon your god what it expects of you and everyone else.

If gods can evolve then they are not almighty to begin with, and that just makes for an inferior god.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
MrV
MrV
May 10th, 2012 at 7:59:12 AM permalink
All things logically must have a cause, a moment of creation.

If so, then: Who / What created god, if in fact god exists?
"What, me worry?"
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 10th, 2012 at 8:16:31 AM permalink

Must they? Quantum theory use effect then cause models. Quantum theory is logical, but it is not based on the axioms that you may consider to be common sense.

It's possible that things do not need a cause and the universe just always has been as a closed system (energy and mass neither created or destroyed). That's a rather left field theory in current cosmology. (Though by current, I mean last time I really looked hard was ten years ago, so maybe things have changed).

Quote:

Nothing. But who / what created the Universe if god in fact does not exist?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
MrV
MrV
May 10th, 2012 at 8:57:24 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

But who / what created the Universe if god in fact does not exist?

Indeed; that is the question.

It boggles the mind (*note: I'd much prefer to have my mind "boggled" by unanswered questions than "hobbled" by believing in god*)
"What, me worry?"
Oliver
Oliver
May 10th, 2012 at 10:45:00 AM permalink
The problem is with what people consider to be "nothing". The standard view of "nothing" is incorrect. As I've said, "nothingness" is actually quite unstable.

Here's an article to make you think: "In New Quantum Experiment, Effect Happens Before Cause" - Nature

"A real-world demonstration of a thought experiment conducted at the University of Vienna, has produced a result that is somewhat befuddling to people with what the lead researcher calls a "naïve classical world view." Two pairs of particles are either quantum-entangled or not. One person makes the decision as to whether to entangle them or not, and another pair of people measure the particles to see whether they're entangled or not.

The head-scratcher is: the measurement is made before the decision is made, and it is accurate. "Classical correlations can be decided after they are measured," says Xiao-song Ma, the writer of the study. Entanglement can be created "after the entangled particles have been measured and may no longer exist."

The finding can be integrated into potential quantum computers, one hopes. Causality, clearly, is a quaint, irrelevant concept." - Nature
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 10th, 2012 at 10:59:17 AM permalink

Says who? People think they see a creation, so they
invent a creator. Very convenient.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
May 10th, 2012 at 11:00:05 AM permalink

Here's an article to make you think: "In New Quantum Experiment, Effect Happens Before Cause" - Nature

"A real-world demonstration of a thought experiment conducted at the University of Vienna, has produced a result that is somewhat befuddling to people with what the lead researcher calls a "naïve classical world view." Two pairs of particles are either quantum-entangled or not. One person makes the decision as to whether to entangle them or not, and another pair of people measure the particles to see whether they're entangled or not.

The head-scratcher is: the measurement is made before the decision is made, and it is accurate. "Classical correlations can be decided after they are measured," says Xiao-song Ma, the writer of the study. Entanglement can be created "after the entangled particles have been measured and may no longer exist."

The finding can be integrated into potential quantum computers, one hopes. Causality, clearly, is a quaint, irrelevant concept." - Nature

Can anyone dumb this down so I might have a chance of understanding it?
[This space is intentionally left blank]
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 10th, 2012 at 11:06:20 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

Can anyone dumb this down so I might have a chance of understanding it?

You're not supposed to understand it, thats the point.
MrV
MrV
May 10th, 2012 at 6:13:18 PM permalink

Says who? People think they see a creation, so they
invent a creator. Very convenient.

Either it "is," or it "ain't."

Either it exists, or it doesn't.

So, if it "exitst:" where, when and how did it come into existence?
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 10th, 2012 at 6:25:40 PM permalink

Either it exists, or it doesn't.

You don't know what existence is so you
can't make a statement like that. You're
going on assumptions.
FrGamble
FrGamble
May 10th, 2012 at 6:39:39 PM permalink

Why is it so hard to believe the universe has
always been here in one form or another.
Or that we have always been here in one
form or another. Science has proven nothing
can be destroyed, only converted to something
else.

Science also has the Second Law of Thermodynamics that states processes taking place in a closed system always tend toward a state or equilibrium.
If the universe, the largest closed system, has always been here for infinity then why hasn't the universe not already reached equilibrium in what is often called the heat or cold death? It can't need more time if it is indeed infinite. There are lots of other absurdities that come into play when you think about an actual infinite, like you seem to be claiming the universe is.
FrGamble
FrGamble
May 10th, 2012 at 6:55:54 PM permalink

There is a small problem with your first premiss. Written the way you have it makes everything contingent or depending on something else which is not logical. There has to be something that is not dependent on anything else for its existence or else we fall into the absurdity of an infinite regress. Therefore the first statement should be more like this:

All things that begin to exist logically must have a cause.
Another way to put it would be: Everything that exists must logically have an explanation for its existence. Now this explanation for existence can only be one of two things; either it depends on something else, a contingent being, or it can be a necessary being that exists not dependent on anything or anyone else - its existence is part of its essence or being. This is sometimes called the unmoved mover, 1st cause, or God.

Obviously your second question is rendered moot because a necessary being is not created or have a cause but has its existence from itself. Again some cause is necessary to explain why there is something rather than nothing? As someone already stated something cannot come from nothing. The something from which everything comes from, pointed to in the big bang is what I call God. You inevitably will ask then where did God come from? You have to try and understand that a necessary being does not need to come from anywhere else, but is truly eternal, and is the bedrock foundation we need if existence or the universe is going to make any sense at all and not break those two logical statements that 1) everything that begins to exist must have a cause and that 2) something cannot come from nothing.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 10th, 2012 at 7:41:36 PM permalink

If the universe, the largest closed system,

You're assuming the universe is closed for the
sake of your argument. But:

"In the thermodynamic sense, a finite universe is usually presumed to be closed; so the entropy of the universe is "obviously" increasing. The thermodynamic closure of a static infinite universe is indeterminate. An expanding universe, whether finite or infinite, has an input of new space which makes it open in the thermodynamic sense."
MrV
MrV
May 10th, 2012 at 7:52:32 PM permalink

You don't know what existence is so you
can't make a statement like that. You're
going on assumptions.

Cogito, ergo sum.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 10th, 2012 at 7:56:09 PM permalink

Cogito, ergo sum.

It should be, I think because I can.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 10th, 2012 at 11:15:58 PM permalink
The assumption that "something cannot come from nothing" seems logical, but I am not sure it's actually true, in a hard vaccum.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
May 11th, 2012 at 4:27:07 AM permalink

Science also has the Second Law of Thermodynamics that states processes taking place in a closed system always tend toward a state or equilibrium.
If the universe, the largest closed system, has always been here for infinity then why hasn't the universe not already reached equilibrium in what is often called the heat or cold death?

Not "always". Just "usually". The Second Law is statistical in nature, it just claims that high entropy state is more likely than the low entropy one, so, most of the time, the entropy will increase in a closed system. It does not make it impossible to spontaneously go down every once in a while.

BTW, the maximum possible entropy is not infinite. The upper limit on maximum entropy that can be enclosed in a region of space is proportional to the surface area of the boundary of that region. So, knowing that the Universe is expanding (and consequently the area of its boundary growing), one could speculate, that the entropy of the Universe as a whole is at its maximum at any given moment, yet keeps going up with time.

Quote:

It can't need more time if it is indeed infinite.

Actually, there is virtually no doubt among the scientists, that the Universe as we know it has only existed for a finite time (about 14 billion years). The moment of its creation (Big Bang) was the spontaneous entropy drop like I described above, and entropy has been increasing ever since then.

Bottom line is you cannot debunk science with science, just like you cannot prove God does not exist using religion.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 11th, 2012 at 1:51:12 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

just like you cannot prove God does not exist using religion.

You also cannot prove god exists using religion.
That there is a mystery greater than us is obvious.
What it is, exactly, is, well, a mystery.
MrV
MrV
May 11th, 2012 at 2:16:41 PM permalink

That there is a mystery greater than us is obvious.
What it is, exactly, is, well, a mystery.

Substitute "an unknown" for "a mystery," and I agree.

We simply do not know.

Yet.
"What, me worry?"
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
May 11th, 2012 at 2:19:20 PM permalink
I know, but John Smith swore me to secrecy.
MrV
MrV
May 11th, 2012 at 3:39:59 PM permalink
One man's "golden tablets" is another man's dung hill.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 28th, 2012 at 10:33:13 PM permalink
If someone performs a bunch of magic tricks, he may not exactly doing true things (as it may be trickery) but he's obviously doing more than expecting you have faith. People say you should "have faith." Oh bullshit, that's not even the way it was back in the day. (that old day)

Cause look...Turning water into wine, multiplyin' loaves, healing, raising the dead, coming back from the dead. That's not about faith at all. That's providing magic tricks for people to witness.

Nowadays, too many people want you to believe in their god without performing magic first. But even if they perform magic, they'd likely rather you not be able to study it too closely (that last is my assumption). 'Cause we surely would put you in a controlled environment if you want to claim special powers.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 28th, 2012 at 11:40:31 PM permalink
If you believe in God you Believe in God. If you don't believe in God you don't believe in God. If God exists it does not matter.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
  • Jump to: