Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
December 12th, 2011 at 5:28:04 PM permalink
Quote: Garnabby

Isn't that an example of a mixed metaphor?

How can it be a mixed metaphor, when Jesus Filter isn't
a metaphor to begin with.

"A metaphor is a literary figure of speech that uses an image or story to represent a less tangible thing or some intangible quality or idea."

A Jesus Filter is an actual thing. Its a set of ideas and beliefs
that people use to filter out all the things that might be offensive,
or lead them down the wrong path. It tells them what to think
and how to behave.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 12th, 2011 at 5:36:37 PM permalink
I'm reminded by EvenBob's Jesus Filter of the theory of the bicameral mind, which states that the human brain was once split into two halves : a part that spoke and commanded, and a part that listened and obeyed. This theory also states that conciousness is very recent (3000 years or so ago), based on evidence of introspection in various items of literature.

The part that spoke was viewed almost as a personal God, giving the human commands.

Julian Jaynes' book on the subject is quite an interesting read, even if it's still a controversial theory (rather than having been completely debunked).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 12th, 2011 at 5:51:51 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

and a part that listened and obeyed. .

When my wife speaks, the listen and obey part is
the only thing functioning.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
December 12th, 2011 at 5:59:46 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

FrG has what I call the Jesus Filter. He takes everything
he hears and first runs it thru the Jesus Filter, which tells
him what his thoughts and opinions will be on any subject.

This is not uncommon for religious people. Many Muslims
do it for their religion. Zealotry in any religion requires a
filter be in place at all times, to stop you from being confused,
and to keep you on the straight and narrow. Its also called
'drinking the Koolaid'..

Well, he IS a Catholic priest. I kind of expect that, in all honesty.
NO KILL I
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 12th, 2011 at 7:03:17 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

But it makes everything he says very predictable. Its
called toeing the company line.
Garnabby
Garnabby
  • Threads: 4
December 12th, 2011 at 7:14:08 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

How can it be a mixed metaphor, when Jesus Filter isn't a metaphor to begin with.

"Lunde really zeros in on Jesus, especially focusing in on his relationship to the law, using three metaphors: Jesus the filter, Jesus the lens, and Jesus the prism. When examining Jesus as filter, Lunde looks at the question of continuity and discontinuity between the Mosaic Law and the New Covenant. What is found is that while some laws aren't to be literally observed by us in the New Covenant, often Jesus reinterprets them in a new way that heightens their requirement for obedience (e.g., food laws). The chapter on Jesus as lens explores how, with some laws, Jesus peeled back the tradition so that the original intent of individual laws and the OT as a whole could be seen and recovered (e.g., Jesus recovery of the emphasis on mercy). The lens provides clarity. Finally, Jesus is the prism because law the law travels in a different direction after interpreted by him. Some laws, like the law against adultery, are moved to a higher plane. Their demands are heightened. Because Jesus is the King, it is to him and his demands that we must render our obedience." ( http://zetountes.blogspot.com/2011/04/book-review-following-jesus-servant.html . And likely from other links.)

It's the stuff you tag onto it that seems to make it all so mentally incongruent, nay, strident.
Why bet at all, if you can be sure? Anyway, what constitutes a "good bet"? - The best slots-game in town; a sucker's edge; or some gray-area blackjack-stunts? (P.S. God doesn't even have to exist to be God.)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 326
December 12th, 2011 at 7:19:24 PM permalink
There is no god.

There are idiots, dolts and morons such as those in Saudi Arabia who execute heretics in the name of god, under the mantle of enforcing the law.

see ... "sorceress"killedbyragheadeddouchebags
"What, me worry?"
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 111
December 12th, 2011 at 7:22:13 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I've mentioned before in another related blog about the idea of whether or not someone as dedvout as a priest, pastor, etc. would ever be strong enough to swallow their pride and to profess a change of heart in regards to their faith. I mean think about it. If you are a priest, for example, and after much contemplation and soul-searching you've decided that the religion and doctrine that you've preached about for so long is actually not what makes sense to you any more, would you ever be so bold as to actually admit to the world and your church patrons that you no longer believe in what you've preached about all these years? To your family, your friends, church attendees, etc? The extremely religious make their religion so much a part of their identity that I would say that the fear of embarrassment and the kick to their pride would keep them from ever even be willing to be open enough to accept the idea that they were wrong all along. Pride is a hard thing for humans, and I believe even harder for men.

I do give props to that Father on television who was found to be having a relationship with a woman from his congregation (who is now his wife) for saying that he fell in love with this woman and was doing only what felt right to him, regardless of what his church said he should or shouldn't do as a priest. Kudos to him.

But I personally understand how hard it can be to admit that your beliefs have changed. For a while I was a vegan and people always put this vegan identity on me. I was even proud of it, and would share with others my nutritional and animal knowledge and why I lived and ate as I did. I am no longer a vegan but the transition was hard on my ego because I didn't like thinking about what others would think about me for having changed my way of life in such a big way. But in the end I was true to myself. And that's the only person you ever have to answer to.

But I do agree with EvenBob's idea that FrG, as well as any religious zealot, has a Jesus Filter with which he sorts through any idea or information. I can say from my own experience of being involved for several years in the church that I was not encouraged to think for myself as I was not to "let the Devil get a foothold", but to trust (blindly) the Bible and the "word of God" and to let them and the doctrine and the church do my thinking for me, since I, like all people, was merely a lost sheep that could not trust myself but needed a shepard to guide me. Sounds so silly, doesn't it? Thank God (pun intended) I'm not involved in the church any more and actually think for myself, exercising one of the most wonderful qualities I have as a human being.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 12th, 2011 at 7:36:45 PM permalink
Quote: Garnabby

"Lunde really zeros in on Jesus.

But I wasn't using it as a metaphor, thats the difference.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
December 12th, 2011 at 8:27:05 PM permalink
I disagree strongly with the thought that my Jesus filter through which I view everything blocks out things that would be challenging or uncomfortable for my faith. In fact I don't have anyone blocked and am happy to listen to all of the many arguments against God, often perdictable, tired, false, and old as they are.

I also resent the implication that I am not able to think for myself or change my mind. I am not a robot answering these questions or making these comments if you don't believe me:
1100011001000001010101010000101101010011001001110001010101010101000011111100101010101110101000010101
0100101101001001001011110110010101001010001010110010100010101001010000000001011111010010100101001010

That should clear things up.

• Jump to: