Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 432
November 15th, 2011 at 2:16:32 AM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

EvenBob, good response. I don't know what to tell you about the past mistakes to help you not be so blind to the present.

Good grief, I'm not blind to the present. I look at the
Catholic Church as a whole entity, not just its present
incarnation. Is there any evidence that the Church ever
changed anything on their own, without being forced to
by changing times? Look at the pedaphilia thing, for
instance, they dragged their feet for decades on that,
and still are. They have 1500 years of crimes against
humanity to answer for. If you want to do something
really constructive, Padre, address those human rights
crimes the church is quilty of. The sheer weight of them
must be incredible on anybody who's a true, really true,
representative of the Church. Personally, I couldn't do
it. I investigated witchcraft back in the 90's to see what it
was all about, and I wish I could forget most of what
I learned about the Catholic Church and how they treated
anybody who was considered a heretic.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
November 15th, 2011 at 4:59:28 AM permalink
EvenBob, the first thing that might be helpful is to read what the Church teaches and has always taught. The Catechism of the Church lays out the consistent teaching of the Church for its 2000 years. You will find that many of the sins attributed to the Church are sins against the Church's offical teachings that were perpetrated by even some of its leaders. It is sad that humans sin. However, there are many more saints in the history of the Church who lived out what the Church is truly about and they are worthy of celebrating. Many of whom are the reason there is not even a distant second when it comes to chartible outreach and service to humanity compared to the Catholic Church. I celebrate the unchanging truths consistently taught by the Church and the men and women who lived to such a degree that they changed the world for the better. Many of our greatest cities are named after them and they are remembered with love. The awful sinners of the Church's history whose names are often forgotten remind us of the reality of sin and the pain of hypocrisy not that the Church itself is not worthy of celebration.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 15th, 2011 at 5:16:02 AM permalink

EvenBob, the first thing that might be helpful is to read what the Church teaches and has always taught. The Catechism of the Church lays out the consistent teaching of the Church for its 2000 years. You will find that many of the sins attributed to the Church are sins against the Church's offical teachings that were perpetrated by even some of its leaders.

Then said Jesus to the crowds and to his disciples,
"The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat;
so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice".

Matthew 23:1-3
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 15th, 2011 at 5:26:07 AM permalink
Sigh.

FrGamble, you will never win with this group, but that's not the intention here, is it? I've seen musings by our members that suggest that the laws of physics are different in other universes. I've seen musings by everyone with guesses on what happened at the point of the big bang and what may have existed "before" the big bang.

These are just musings. No one (even the best theoretical physics) has more than a clue of what actually happened before the big bang, whether other universes exist, or what the laws of physics are in those universe.

We all live our day-to-day lives in our Newtonian universe with a little help from Einstein. Our point of view is Newtonian and it's difficult for most of us to even conceive of the initial expansion of the universe that was the big bang and the laws of physics in place at the beginning of the universe.

That said, there (in my opinion) is no physical evidence of God's existence in this universe. A beginning of the universe doesn't mean that "God did it". We just don't know how it started. Time is just another dimension in space. It's very difficult to explain what happens to "Time" at the beginning of the universe. There may be no need for a "cause".
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
November 15th, 2011 at 5:59:18 AM permalink
Today is the Feast Day of St. Albert the Great, patron of scientists. Here is a nice little prayer to say today:

A Prayer to Saint Albertus Magnus

Dear Scientist and Doctor of the Church,
Natural science always led you to the higher science of God.
Though you had an encyclopedic knowledge, it never made you proud,
for you regarded it as a gift of God.
Inspire scientists to use their gifts well in studying the wonders of creation, thus bettering the lot of the human race and rendering greater glory to God.
Amen.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 15th, 2011 at 6:51:45 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Sigh.

And how! :)

Quote:

FrGamble, you will never win with this group, but that's not the intention here, is it?

So far the good father is doing a fantastic job proving either 1) an irresistible force has no chance against an unmovable object, or 2) the irresistible force isn't so irresistible after all.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
November 15th, 2011 at 8:30:10 AM permalink
Quote: Garnabby

And expectations being inherently of the mind, then such a god such have known better!

That begs the question.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 310
November 15th, 2011 at 8:41:33 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

So far the good father is doing a fantastic job proving either 1) an irresistible force has no chance against an unmovable object, or 2) the irresistible force isn't so irresistible after all.

I'd say our Padre's accomplishments are more in the order of continuing to be able to provide his point of view without being generally resented, indeed finding it welcomed in some quarters, and still tolerable to most, with notable exceptions.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 15th, 2011 at 8:59:20 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

with notable exceptions.

I'm sorry, I forgot to add:

:)

There.

Come on. The "what happnes when an irresistible force meets and unmovable object?" is a philosophical cliche. I was merely having some fun with it. My assumption is that religious people, particualrly priests of all religions, regard god as an irresistible force.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 15th, 2011 at 9:08:16 AM permalink

There will never be a shortage of new truths found and every new truth found does not prove or disprove the existence of God but they continue to provide more evidence that the existence of God is a logical, albeit it non-scientific, conclusion. Thanks.

The first part of your sentence does not lead to the second clause in your sentence. They do not provide any evidence that God is a logicial conclusion.

And I have no idea what you mean by a logicial, non-scientific conclusion. Logic is a science, from starting with certain axioms we can make arguements and test them.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: