pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
January 27th, 2013 at 4:15:59 PM permalink
According to FY2007 abstract, the 25 casinos made $1640 million of which $923 million was from gaming. The net profit for the year was 7.1%.
According to FY2012 abstract, the 23 casinos made $1260 million of which $652 million was from gaming. The net loss for the year was 8.1%.

That is $652 million over 23 casinos, and a single racino in Philadelphia ( PARX ) cleared $500 million in one year. Aqueduct racetrack and racino brought in $667.7 million in it's first year without any table games.

In 2009 there were five casinos that made over $72 million gaming revenue in the fiscal year
ATLANTIS CASINO RESORT
PEPPERMILL HOTEL & CASINO
ELDORADO HOTEL & CASINO
HARRAH'S CASINO HOTEL RENO
SILVER LEGACY RESORT CASINO

In 2012 there are only two (Atlantis and Peppermill).

Is there any possibility of a reversal for the original gaming city? It seems like Atlantis and Peppermill are determined to keep the resort business, but it looks like the downtown will continue to drop.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 264
  • Posts: 14374
January 27th, 2013 at 4:33:46 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

but it looks like the downtown will continue to drop.

Downtown may continue to drop for gaming but not necessarily for real estate. I think Reno drug enforcement has for quite some time been a tool used to affect casino values.
rainman
rainman
Joined: Mar 28, 2012
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 1352
January 27th, 2013 at 4:38:26 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Downtown may continue to drop for gaming but not necessarily for real estate. I think Reno drug enforcement has for quite some time been a tool used to affect casino values.



I don't get the drug enforcement tool comment could you elaborate a little?
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
Joined: Aug 11, 2010
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 1246
January 27th, 2013 at 4:54:54 PM permalink
Downtown Reno is nothing but slum and flop-houses....until they teardown all of them, it'll suffer from urban blight...
Now, Peppermill honestly has the nicest suites in Reno...but Atlantis is right behind them...also, Atlantis is physically connected to the Reno/Sparks Convetion center, so that really helps....
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 264
  • Posts: 14374
January 27th, 2013 at 5:49:10 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

I don't get the drug enforcement tool comment could you elaborate a little?

Crime particularly crack house ownership, zoning for flop houses, sentences, bail, etc. can all be used to perpetuate high crime areas. Without buffers near the casinos bums wander in and decent customers often fade away.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 154
  • Posts: 5701
January 27th, 2013 at 5:50:30 PM permalink
Harrahs Reno gives me great return offers, far better for equal play than other CZR casinos, but there is nothing else to do in DT Reno.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
Joined: Aug 11, 2010
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 1246
January 27th, 2013 at 6:30:09 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Harrahs Reno gives me great return offers, far better for equal play than other CZR casinos, but there is nothing else to do in DT Reno.


Gamble more, duh!
The funnier part is...Atlantis and Peppermill give SQUAT for comps/bounceback...because they dont NEED return customers...they've GOT return customers!
As for myself, GSR has everything I want (great buffet, bowling alley, great rooms, good action at the crap table)
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
LonesomeGambler
LonesomeGambler
Joined: Aug 19, 2011
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 241
January 29th, 2013 at 12:44:48 PM permalink
There are good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, clubs, concert venues, and art galleries in downtown Reno, none of which even reside in the casinos. In the casinos themselves, you have plenty more to offer. Even Harrah's has a unique feature—beer pong.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 5922
January 29th, 2013 at 12:54:04 PM permalink
Quote: LonesomeGambler

There are good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, clubs, concert venues, and art galleries in downtown Reno, none of which even reside in the casinos. In the casinos themselves, you have plenty more to offer. Even Harrah's has a unique feature—beer pong.



I would be interested in knowing some good restaurants downtown that aren't in the casino's. I have eaten at a few pizza places there, but some nicer restaurants that you could recommend would be appreciated.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
Joined: Aug 11, 2010
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 1246
January 29th, 2013 at 1:51:35 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I would be interested in knowing some good restaurants downtown that aren't in the casino's. I have eaten at a few pizza places there, but some nicer restaurants that you could recommend would be appreciated.


Well, I know for a fact, that downtown is always CRAWLING with people when the weather is nice, on the weekend nights...TONS of clubs and bars..and always a "crawl" going on...
But unless you're 21-35...you probably won't want to be doing that kind of stuff...
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ

  • Jump to: