kmumf
kmumf
  • Threads: 1
May 15th, 2012 at 9:17:15 PM permalink
I have a Springfield XDM 40 and love it shoots great. I have my CCW and carry S&W Bodyguard its a .380 with a laser built in. Its a great small carry 7 rounds should work for any oh S%it that may come up.

The article from wongbo about 400% more likely to be killed is full of crap.

Happy shooting.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 432
May 15th, 2012 at 9:26:25 PM permalink
Quote: kmumf

The article from wongbo about 400% more likely to be killed is full of crap.

Gun haters are always coming up with wild crap.
Guns are more popular than ever.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
May 15th, 2012 at 9:43:45 PM permalink
I cannot personally see why anyone would buy an XD over a Glock.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
May 16th, 2012 at 1:31:11 AM permalink
hey i am not against guns by any means,
i just think there are alot of people who are not prepared to actually gun someone down.
or who think pulling a gun is gonna be like it is on tv.
if someone is threatening you to the point that you pull on them, you better bring it out blazing.
i have seen a guy pull and have the gun taken from him..
he was then pistol whipped and left with his gun sans ammo.
(note: NO, i wasn't either guy...:)
i just wanted to spur some thoughts on the topic.
yes, that study was just something i dragged off the net and
may or may not be relevant to everyone.obviously.
but consider the possibility and be prepared

i don't carry often, i live in manhattan so it's complicated.
a friend gave me a glock similar to this...
glock 17, 3rd generation
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
May 16th, 2012 at 5:10:15 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

also, be aware of research that finds that carrying a gun increases your likelihood of being killed by 400%+

The methodology of that study has been completely thrown out. Branas doesn't even touch on the question of licensing. Here is just one analysis that demolishes the author's underpinnings: examiner article
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
May 16th, 2012 at 8:30:15 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

also, be aware of research that finds that carrying a gun increases your likelihood of being killed by 400%+

The methodology of that study has been completely thrown out. Branas doesn't even touch on the question of licensing. Here is just one analysis that demolishes the author's underpinnings: examiner article

The conclusion is skewed towards an anti-gun bias but probably the data is correct. I have no problem believing that people that are killed in a violent confrontation carry guns at a 4 time higher rate than the general poplulation. The gang murders would all have the victims carrying guns as well as lot of people that carry are those that are more likely to be in a place they are in danger.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
May 16th, 2012 at 10:54:34 AM permalink
Glock 17 3rd Gen. Good choice, but a little big to carry for most people, especially if they have to worry about being "made."
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
May 16th, 2012 at 12:03:33 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Thanks for digging up that link. This quote from original article describing the study:
Quote:

The team also accounted for other potentially confounding differences

seems to be in direct contradiction to this quote from the actual study:
Quote:

We also did not account for the potential of reverse causation between gun possession and gun assault.

To be fair they didn't claim to account for all confounding differences, but that seems like the biggest one.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
May 16th, 2012 at 12:08:44 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

I cannot personally see why anyone would buy an XD over a Glock.

In my limited amount of research so far, I've found roughly equal endorsement for Glocks and XDMs among gun owners. They both get high marks for reliability and ease of maintenance, which are both important for me. A few of my friends have pointed out that there's a big difference in the XDM models versus the XD models; the XDMs are much higher quality (hence the "M" for match-grade).

I've put about 50-60 rounds (I know, not much) each through the Glock 22 and the XDM-40 trying to decide and found them nearly identical to my tastes. The grip angle is slightly different which is pretty much a personal decision, but I found both of them to be adequate. There are 2 factors that have me leaning toward the XDM at this point. First, the magazine release is much easier for me to reach with my right thumb on the XDM than on the Glock. With the Glock I have to contort my hand into an awkward position or use my left hand to get at it, with the XDM it's natural. I have heard that the Gen 4 Glocks have a bigger mag release, so I may need to get my hands on one of those to test it. The other factor is simply the higher mag capacity in the stock XDM magazines. Not a big deal but it's there.

Now if I start shopping and find that the XDM is going to be more expensive, I'll probably settle for the Glock. I've resolved not to buy until I find a new job anyway, so I've got more time to think and probably at least one more trip to the range to rent and test stuff.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
May 16th, 2012 at 12:10:44 PM permalink
Oh yeah and the XDMs come with adjustable backstraps and the Glocks do not.

• Jump to: