AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
May 16th, 2012 at 12:22:35 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Oh yeah and the XDMs come with adjustable backstraps and the Glocks do not.

And, now I just discovered that the Gen 4 Glocks also come with the adjustable backstraps. Guess I will have some shopping around to do, as previously I wasn't going to make a big deal of which generation I was getting.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
May 16th, 2012 at 12:57:42 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

In my limited amount of research so far, I've found roughly equal endorsement for Glocks and XDMs among gun owners. They both get high marks for reliability and ease of maintenance, which are both important for me.

That's one of the main reasons I'm so bullish on Glocks. If I can get the part, I can fix it myself. No filing, fitting, or futzing - just replace the broken part.

Quote:

A few of my friends have pointed out that there's a big difference in the XDM models versus the XD models; the XDMs are much higher quality (hence the "M" for match-grade).

When evaluating defensive firearms, I usually run the other way when anything says "Match" or "Competition."

Quote:

There are 2 factors that have me leaning toward the XDM at this point. First, the magazine release is much easier for me to reach with my right thumb on the XDM than on the Glock. With the Glock I have to contort my hand into an awkward position or use my left hand to get at it, with the XDM it's natural.

For a defensive, carry gun, you WANT to have to adjust your grip to get to the magazine release to avoid accidental activation.

Quote:

I have heard that the Gen 4 Glocks have a bigger mag release, so I may need to get my hands on one of those to test it. The other factor is simply the higher mag capacity in the stock XDM magazines. Not a big deal but it's there.

If you must, you can always put a Glock 21 magazine release in a Glock 19/23/17/22 and it protrudes a little more. See above for the reason not to. It might be something you can do temporarily until you don't need it anymore.

Increased firepower is never a bad thing.

Quote:

Now if I start shopping and find that the XDM is going to be more expensive, I'll probably settle for the Glock. I've resolved not to buy until I find a new job anyway, so I've got more time to think and probably at least one more trip to the range to rent and test stuff.

"Settle for the Glock." You "settle for" your wife, not your guns. :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
May 16th, 2012 at 2:03:56 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

i just think there are alot of people who are not prepared to actually gun someone down.
or who think pulling a gun is gonna be like it is on tv.

The vast VAST majority of cops in this
country never have to 'gun someone
down', what makes you think a civilian
would? You sound like somebody who
knows very little about this subject.
I know at least a dozen people who carry
& none of them have a silly attitude about
'pulling a gun'. You act like we all have
fast draw contests and think we're
we're John Wayne. Nothing could be
farther from the truth.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
May 16th, 2012 at 4:22:28 PM permalink
i admitted that i have only seen a gun pulled in a non-police confrontation once.
he hesitated and the other guy used some krav maga move on him and
beat him within an inch of his life with his own gun.
i am not saying you shouldn't carry.
i am saying you should be prepared for the day you actually need to use the gun.
if you don't think i am right then that's your perogative.
but if you carry and pull a gun but are afraid to shoot someone, what is the point?
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 16th, 2012 at 4:24:59 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

i admitted that i have only seen a gun pulled in a non-police confrontation once.
he hesitated and the other guy used some krav maga move on him and
beat him within an inch of his life with his own gun.

Which movie was this in?
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
May 16th, 2012 at 4:53:04 PM permalink
washington heights, new york city. late 80's.
sorry i don't live in some boring hellhole.
the hellhole i live in is pretty exciting.
i don't care if you don't believe it.
do a google search for similar incidents.
it happens.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 16th, 2012 at 5:29:23 PM permalink
Its not that I don't believe it, its just
people who oppose guns always have
stories they tell. Like how their neighbor
got shot with his own gun, or the neighbors
kid found dads gun and killed his sister
with it. Its always something..
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
May 19th, 2012 at 5:21:23 PM permalink
I carry a Glock 21 and love it for my purposes. But my son just brought over a SA 1911 that he picked up today. It is teflon coated with a stainless ported barrel with a Wilson trigger and I can't wait to shoot it. He bought it for the price of a regular SA! The guy he bought it from did not realize what all the custom work on it added to the value.
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
May 21st, 2012 at 12:39:33 AM permalink
wow I don't look at this forum for about a week and a gun thread pops up, I thought I ws the only one who posted gun stuff around here ;)....As to the OP I love Springfield XD's I'm a fan of grip safeties just because I used to shoot so many 1911's, they just feel natural to me....But I don't carry anything these days that I cant pocket carry....I have 3 different 357's I pocket carry and a couple 380's.....I'm just not dedicated enough to put on a IWB holster everyday.....But I know I will always throw my J frame in my pocket....5 Round gun in my pocket is better than 19 round Glock 17 or a full size 1911 I leave at home because I was to lazy to put the hustler on in the morning before leaving.....So My only advise would be to buy something you KNOW you are gonna carry...because it does you no good if you leave it at home or in your car...because it's "to bulky" or "the holster is a pain in the ass"....a 22 short Saturday night special in your pocket is better than a 44 mag you left on your night stand because you "didn't feel like carrying that big thing that day"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
May 21st, 2012 at 12:49:27 AM permalink
Quote: Face

I love talking guns. You might even pull ol' vert out of the woodwork and get him posting again ;)

Quote: vert1276

wow I don't look at this forum for about a week and a gun thread pops up, I thought I ws the only one who posted gun stuff around here ;)

Looks like Face was right! Thanks for your contributions to the thread.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer

• Jump to: