MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 326
May 14th, 2012 at 9:00:12 PM permalink
Completely legal.

By "shortened," I mean that S & W did it at the factory: designed to be easily concealable, yet hold 12 rounds.

A lot of firepower in a fairly small package.
"What, me worry?"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
May 15th, 2012 at 3:16:22 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I hope I didn't imply that you shouldn't get the gun now. In fact, in NY, after you go through the 2 year, several hundred dollar process to get a CPL, you HAVE to buy a gun within 30days or forfeit the license.

I'm not terribly familiar with the XDM, but you will run into concealment issues with the full sized unless, like me, you live off the map. I'm not saying to not buy it, but (and this probably won't be a problem) you might need to get another to suit your needs down the road. I imagine after a while you'll want another one anyways ;)

Yeah I want to get the full size to learn and improve my aim on, and something relatively compact once I'm more experienced. You're right that I'll definitely want more than one gun eventually :).

A .40's not bad, can handle just about anything in the continental US and is relatively cheap, just one cent a round more expensive than a 9mm. The .45 is closer to 5 cents more, and my 10mm is just an incredible pain in the rear to even find, let alone afford. Luckily for my checkbook, my .44mag is too big for almost everything and I'm spared the dollar-per-round fee of playing with it ;)

Yeah I think I've decided I can handle the cost increase of .40, although your quote of one cent per round more doesn't seem to jive with the prices around here, but I do need to do some shopping around. What kind of 10mm gun do you have? I was thinking about that until I realized how really uncommon it is.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
May 15th, 2012 at 3:17:23 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

anyone carrying a gun should be fully prepared to shoot to kill.
if you draw the gun at close quarters and hesitate for even a half second
it can very easily be taken away from you and used against you.

gun disarm

also, be aware of research that finds that carrying a gun increases your likelihood of being killed by 400%+

That second link is definitely interesting and a bit scarcy, but I wish they had more details on the study. I feel like it would be impossible to control for all the confounding factors and still come up with a useful result.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
May 15th, 2012 at 3:18:56 PM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

I'm pretty sure the Wiz was carrying this past weekend. My first gun was a Sig p250 I got at Bargain pawn, its a nice 9mm but has a bit of a long trigger pull. My second is a Glock 21 which is a bit large for concealed carry but its a much better gun in terms of the way it feels when I fire it, and it is more accurate. I got a nice in the waistband holder that has a built in pouch for a second magazine. I have bought about four holsters and this is the best one so far. Too bad I can't carry at work, the walk downtown at 4am is a bit creepy with all the bums and thugs I have to pass when going to the place I park about a block away.

I'm surprised you went with the Glock in .45ACP...most people I know that like .45 aren't a big fan of the plastic alloy frame guns, since the recoil with that caliber is so intense. But if you can handle it, more power to you!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
May 15th, 2012 at 3:31:15 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I'm surprised you went with the Glock in .45ACP...most people I know that like .45 aren't a big fan of the plastic alloy frame guns, since the recoil with that caliber is so intense. But if you can handle it, more power to you!

I agree. The recoil is so bad it sometimes breaks the
shooters wrist. And the ammo is super expensive. I
don't even own a .45 anymore. There's a funny shot
of a woman on some reality show shooting a .45,
and the recoil has the gun come up and hit her in the
face. Now thats entertaining TV, especially in slo/mo.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 15th, 2012 at 4:07:13 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Yeah I think I've decided I can handle the cost increase of .40, although your quote of one cent per round more doesn't seem to jive with the prices around here, but I do need to do some shopping around. What kind of 10mm gun do you have? I was thinking about that until I realized how really uncommon it is.

Yeah, prices vary across the country, but you should find it to be close. The 9mm to .40 gap is a lot smaller than the .40 to .45 gap. The 10mm is a Glock 20. It's really totally pointless lol. It's so close to the .40 you can change the barrel to make it a .40, and with the incredible pain to find ammo and and the retarded cost, it's a wonder anyone would buy one. But my Pops likes it, so I'm stuck with it.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
May 15th, 2012 at 5:22:48 PM permalink
Walmart is the cheapest, usually, because they buy in such
volume. I know a local gun store buys all their ammo from
Walmart and marks it up in their store.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 15th, 2012 at 5:37:13 PM permalink

Yeah, prices vary across the country, but you should find it to be close. The 9mm to .40 gap is a lot smaller than the .40 to .45 gap. The 10mm is a Glock 20. It's really totally pointless lol. It's so close to the .40 you can change the barrel to make it a .40, and with the incredible pain to find ammo and and the retarded cost, it's a wonder anyone would buy one. But my Pops likes it, so I'm stuck with it.

I have a 10mm Glock 29. It's fun and unique, but its very overpowered for the size and insanely expensive to shoot. It's also a real pain in the ass to find/buy the ammo. Every time, its the same thing. "Hi, I'm looking for 10mm rounds..." "You mean 9mm. Let me show..." "no, 10mm. We're literally surrounded by 9mm rounds. I wouldn't need help..."
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 15th, 2012 at 5:39:21 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Walmart is the cheapest, usually, because they buy in such
volume. I know a local gun store buys all their ammo from
Walmart and marks it up in their store.

Yeah, that's where I get mine if I'm just looking for a box of 50 or so. I usually get my .44mag from there since I shoot it so sparingly. For something I bang off all the time, like my Glock or M-4, it's better to get a gun mag and order a crate. I save ~40% buying in bulk.

Quote: rdw4potus

I have a 10mm Glock 29. It's fun and unique, but its very overpowered for the size and insanely expensive to shoot. It's also a real pain in the ass to find/buy the ammo. Every time, its the same thing. "Hi, I'm looking for 10mm rounds..." "You mean 9mm. Let me show..." "no, 10mm. We're literally surrounded by 9mm rounds. I wouldn't need help..."

Quoted for truth ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
May 15th, 2012 at 8:56:29 PM permalink

anyone carrying a gun should be fully prepared to shoot to kill.
if you draw the gun at close quarters and hesitate for even a half second
it can very easily be taken away from you and used against you.

Goodness me. Handgun Control, Inc. called. Your generous donation is late.

also, be aware of research that finds that carrying a gun increases your likelihood of being killed by 400%+

That article did not provide a link to the study, but since it analyzed "shooting victims in Philadelphia" I would wager it was mostly gang bangers, not normal citizens who go through the motions, jump through the hoops, pass the background checks, get fingerprinted, get a CCW, and quietly carry.

This study could probably be more accurately titled "Carrying a Gun While Gang Banging Increases Your Likelihood of Getting Killed 400%."

• Jump to: