Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 176
March 19th, 2011 at 11:06:26 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Reagan: The USA is better than the USSR. In this country anyone can walk up to the gates of the White House and say, "I hate Reagan, he is a war monger!"
Gorbachev: "So what, in the USSR anyone can walk up to the gates of the Kremlin and say, "I hate Reagan, he is a war monger."

In Soviet Russia, gate walks up to you and says Reagan is warmonger!
NO KILL I
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
March 19th, 2011 at 12:19:21 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

I would not make an exception for the medical either. They are not going to diagnose you based on a sheet of paper anyway, and the doctor, who makes the diagnoses, should not have any problem determining your race without looking at the questionnaire. Or he could just ask if in doubt.
There are diseases, linked to certain genetic traits, other than racial. They don't ask me in those questionnaires if I am Jewish, or I was born in Eastern Europe ... so, I have to think that this sickle cell anemia stuff is just a lame excuse.

I was thinking more for keeping track to see if something genetic might be based on race, research purposes. I only picked sickle cell since it was the first thing I could think of and one of the most direct race/genetic things out there. Interestingly, the gene that causes sickle cell was indirectly responsible for slavery taking hold in North America. The same gene gives blacks a better ability to work in hot and humid weather. This was needed for rice farming in the New World. Later slaves were used for more and more labor, but without that indentured servants might very well have filled the need for labor.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 103
March 19th, 2011 at 1:55:50 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

sickle cell The same gene gives blacks a better ability to work in hot and humid weather.

Can you cite a reference? The only thing I remember from medical school is that carrying one gene, thus being a carrier but not with the disease, did give some protection from malaria. But able to work better in hot and humid weather?
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
March 19th, 2011 at 4:02:39 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Can you cite a reference? The only thing I remember from medical school is that carrying one gene, thus being a carrier but not with the disease, did give some protection from malaria. But able to work better in hot and humid weather?

Well, there is a lot of malaria in hot and humid weather, and if you got it, you can't work very well, so ...
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
March 19th, 2011 at 4:38:25 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It was in my college US History Textbook and repeated by the professor. Protection from malaria would go along with working in the hot and humid weather since malaria is a tropical disease. That could be what it meant, has been almost 20 years since the class.

I will san anecdotally I have met a few balck people who could not take the "dry heat" of Phoenix/Vegas and openly stated that while they hated that they were more than fine with the sticky, humid heat of say Atlanta. Same with in the summer working with black guys who were fine with the sticky weather but come winter I was fine and they were freezing to death. I fully realizde that is not projectable, but still makes me think there is something to it.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
March 19th, 2011 at 6:31:44 PM permalink
We seem to have gotten off-topic here, so in an attempt to bring us back:

In a daring experiment in Europe, scientists used mosquitoes to deliver a "vaccine" of live malaria parasites through their bites. For their next daring experiment, scientists are going to try to deliver a syphilis vaccine through sex with Paris Hilton.

Anyone have a funny joke about sickle cell?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 20th, 2011 at 1:54:56 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Gosh non that I would re-post!

I do appreciate the experts on SCA that have posted here today. Not since my Phrenology courses have I heard such delightfully historical ideas of the world.

I think a few have recieved info here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kVKUpJ8vto
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 7
March 20th, 2011 at 9:49:04 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

It's not a joke. It's a true story.

This happened in the 70's. Someone I worked with was a member of the National Guard. He came to work on Monday and told us that his National Guard unit went to a low income area and they set up a free medical clinic for the weekend.

One mother came in with her child and said her child had that 'black' disease. When she was asked what she meant by 'black' disease, she replied--'You know, that SICK-AS-HELL disease'.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 20th, 2011 at 10:26:44 AM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

Hmm I always liked the classic:

What do you call a gay bar with no chairs?

A fruit stand!

Since im gay its ok for me to tell a gay joke, if a straight guy did it would be offensive. Interesting way things work.

Yes, it is interesting:
Dave Chappelle about his white friend Chip
docsjs
docsjs
  • Threads: 21
March 21st, 2011 at 10:07:31 AM permalink
Similar to "Roaches in the liver" (Cirrhosis)

• Jump to: