Thread Rating:

TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
November 9th, 2021 at 12:52:42 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Elon doesn't care about money. Lives in a 375 sq. ft. prefab. and has declared that he will sell or give away all material possessions.

In some respects, he's not that far from the RainMan, remember, "he doesn't understand the concept of money."
link to original post

Entrepreneurial genius. Just an idiot with his mouth.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 9th, 2021 at 1:26:00 PM permalink
I’m still trying to understand why he needs to liquidate shares. I’m surmising that it is related to his stock options. He has the ability to buy the stock at $6 and sell it for current price. If he doesn’t convert the option into shares, he loses the option. Worthless. If he converts the option to stock shares…he then has a realized gain of $1,000’s per share based on current price and he must pay tax on that? Even if he just holds the shares?

The only way to pay that tax is selling the converted shares?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 9th, 2021 at 1:43:33 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

I’m still trying to understand why he needs to liquidate shares. I’m surmising that it is related to his stock options. He has the ability to buy the stock at $6 and sell it for current price. If he doesn’t convert the option into shares, he loses the option. Worthless. If he converts the option to stock shares…he then has a realized gain of $1,000’s per share based on current price and he must pay tax on that? Even if he just holds the shares?

link to original post

My understanding is that he will be incurring a $15billion tax bill whether he buys the shares and holds them or sells them. He needs the $20billion to pay the $15billion tax bill.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
November 9th, 2021 at 2:05:59 PM permalink
Yes, the upcoming tax liability is related to his options. He will either have to continue to borrow massively against his shares or sell some of them to pay the tax.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 9th, 2021 at 4:31:07 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

My understanding is that he will be incurring a $15billion tax bill whether he buys the shares and holds them or sells them. He needs the $20billion to pay the $15billion tax bill.
link to original post

That was my thinking. It doesn’t matter whether he holds the shares or not…when the options are exercised, and I’m guessing he has no choice, he will have to pay tax even on the unrealized gain. His only other option would be to let the options expire (worthless?)

My estimate is that his 22 million options at $6 will be bought for around $130 million and sold for in excess of $22 billion at current market valuation. At 37% tax rate, that’s around $8 billion that he has to come up with for tax man…unless one of my numbers is wrong.

His brother, who, AFAIK has almost no connection to Tesla beyond his brother is running the show cashed out $100 million on Friday. Nice work if you can get it.
Last edited by: TDVegas on Nov 9, 2021
DRich
DRich
November 10th, 2021 at 6:28:22 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

That was my thinking. It doesn’t matter whether he holds the shares or not…when the options are exercised, and I’m guessing he has no choice, he will have to pay tax even on the unrealized gain. His only other option would be to let the options expire (worthless?)

My estimate is that his 22 million options at $6 will be bought for around $130 million and sold for in excess of $22 billion at current market valuation. At 37% tax rate, that’s around $8 billion that he has to come up with for tax man…unless one of my numbers is wrong.

His brother, who, AFAIK has almost no connection to Tesla beyond his brother is running the show cashed out $100 million on Friday. Nice work if you can get it.
link to original post

I believe those options were earned in California so he will also have a large state tax bill.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 10th, 2021 at 8:40:13 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I believe those options were earned in California so he will also have a large state tax bill.
link to original post

Ah, yes. Correct. It’s probably closer to 50%.

It opened down 3% but BofA came to rescue this morning with a price hike target of $1,200. See if it holds today.
MDawg
MDawg
November 10th, 2021 at 9:50:12 AM permalink
BAC is good, held a lot of that for so many years and for the past few years especially, it has done well.

TSLA seems to be on the rebound.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
MDawg
MDawg
November 11th, 2021 at 8:12:50 AM permalink
AMZN making a comeback, still as volatile as ever though.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 11th, 2021 at 9:35:42 AM permalink
AMZN might be on back of RIVN. Currently a car company worth more than GM.

Musk “quietly” dumped about $5b in Tesla stock.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
TDVegas
November 11th, 2021 at 9:40:49 AM permalink

AMZN might be on back of RIVN. Currently a car company worth more than GM.

Musk “quietly” dumped about $5b in Tesla stock.
link to original post

I believe Ford owns 10% of Rivian so that is a potential $10 billion dollar windfall for them.
MDawg
MDawg
November 15th, 2021 at 10:28:33 AM permalink
TSLA dips below a 1000! I did a trade for additional shares at 980, see where it goes, might hold it past today.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 15th, 2021 at 11:23:36 AM permalink

TSLA dips below a 1000! I did a trade for additional shares at 980, see where it goes, might hold it past today.
link to original post

Looks like Musk sold at or near the high! He can re-buy now at a discount if he wants to resume the same percentage ownership he had before selling, and pocket literally billions of dollars in cash. I thought about buying more like you for a quick profit, but picked DKNG instead. Bought 300, already sold 200 at a total $100 profit. Still have 100 more holding....
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 15th, 2021 at 12:03:04 PM permalink
TSLA just did a 25 point reversal in about 5 minutes. Unreal volatility. Down $30 to down $5.

All over the map.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 15th, 2021 at 12:41:28 PM permalink

TSLA just did a 25 point reversal in about 5 minutes. Unreal volatility. Down $30 to down $5.

All over the map.
link to original post

It is a $1,000 stock. If the raw numbers bother you, go by percentages instead. Tesla has been a world-class roller coaster since its IPO.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 15th, 2021 at 1:07:42 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

All over the map.
link to original post

It is a $1,000 stock. If the raw numbers bother you, go by percentages instead. Tesla has been a world-class roller coaster since its IPO.
link to original post

Bother me? Not really. Something triggered heavy buying at exactly 2:40pm….$984 to $1,021, lickity split. Noted it.
Last edited by: TDVegas on Nov 15, 2021
MDawg
MDawg
November 16th, 2021 at 9:53:39 AM permalink

I did a trade for additional shares at 980, see where it goes, might hold it past today.
link to original post

Still holding those additional shares, might just add them to my long term TSLA if the upward trend continues.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 16th, 2021 at 12:24:50 PM permalink
It will probably stay volatile short term. Elon has no compunction to stay silent…whether it hurts or helps the stock.
MDawg
MDawg
November 17th, 2021 at 6:30:51 PM permalink
TSLA mostly up from its dip below 1K.
MDawg
MDawg
November 19th, 2021 at 8:22:25 AM permalink
Did someone say something about how a trade in AMZN could possibly be less than profitable? How/why, when it is pushing 3750 again. Patience is all it takes to achieve 100% success trading stocks that continue to hit ATHs and always return to at or close to ATHs. SooPoo got it - caught on and started trading away. Others - still banging their heads against walls wondering, why, how? 😇 😆

Holding these same stocks long term is great too.
Last edited by: MDawg on Nov 19, 2021
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 19th, 2021 at 12:32:06 PM permalink

Did someone say something about how a trade in AMZN could possibly be less than profitable? How/why, when it is pushing 3750 again. Patience is all it takes to achieve 100% success trading stocks that continue to hit ATHs and always return to at or close to ATHs. SooPoo got it - caught on and started trading away. Others - still banging their heads against walls wondering, why, how? 😇 😆

link to original post

It is possible to lose on a day trade considering it has dropped almost $80 from the high today. Anyone telling me they can always time it right or time it better than 50% right, consistently, is probably not being truthful or transparent. I use “probably” because a stronger word might get me banned.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 19th, 2021 at 5:52:30 PM permalink

link to original post

It is possible to lose on a day trade considering it has dropped almost $80 from the high today. Anyone telling me they can always time it right or time it better than 50% right, consistently, is probably not being truthful or transparent. I use “probably” because a stronger word might get me banned.
link to original post

You are not wrong…. but…. MDawg has stated many times if he buys one of his bellwethers and it goes down he just adds it to his long term holdings until it (inexorably, in his opinion) comes back up. I am pretty sure I can time it better than 50% right…. Remember, if I buy a stock at 100 and put a sell in at 101, I can win even if it just oscilllates from a range of 98-102, and it doesn’t even matter what it closes at. I did this with DKNG recently. Bought at (example, don’t remember exact numbers) 38, put in sell of 39, sold…. But then closed down at 37.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
November 19th, 2021 at 6:12:57 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

This is 100% wrong. It’s been a bull market for how long now? If you think buying at a price and selling at a slightly higher price is only 50% chance of happening, you very much misunderstand the market.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 19th, 2021 at 7:58:56 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

You are not wrong…. but…. MDawg has stated many times if he buys one of his bellwethers and it goes down he just adds it to his long term holdings until it (inexorably, in his opinion) comes back up.

That’s fine. I don’t consider that trading. That’s simply buying and holding and hoping your “day trade” that’s underwater eventually goes green as it is “switched” to a long term hold. Shhh…

Let’s cut the BS with calling all these “trades”. They are ONLY called trades when he’s on the profit side of a quick buy and sell and gladly announces that. Otherwise…the “losing” stock buy is merely “moved” into long term holdings, and no one hears anything about it.

I consider his banter about “trades” a form of a “shell game” where he is deliberately misleading people to look like a stock hero. No harm. It is what it is. It’s transparent now…only because I pointed it out, much to his chagrin.
Last edited by: TDVegas on Nov 19, 2021
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 19th, 2021 at 8:07:32 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

This is 100% wrong. It’s been a bull market for how long now? If you think buying at a price and selling at a slightly higher price is only 50% chance of happening, you very much misunderstand the market.

Disagree. Completely. Day trading is a different animal. Entirely. He specifically uses the word trading, not investing. When the word trading is used, I consider that to be daily hit and runs…in effect day trading. Or trading stocks. Obviously it could be more than one day, but my point stands. Trading is different than investing. Investing in a bull market puts the wind at your back…it doesn’t guarantee profits.

On trading. Active trading. I trust this article and think it is you who is 100% wrong.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/if-you-re-day-trading-you-will-probably-lose-money-here-s-why-1030667770
billryan
billryan
November 19th, 2021 at 8:20:44 PM permalink
I've done well on 100% of the stocks that have gone up since I bought them. I just don't see the point of bragging about that.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
November 19th, 2021 at 8:26:18 PM permalink
I've done well on 100% of the stocks that have gone up since I bought them. I just don't see the point of bragging about that.

This bull market is over a decade old now and I know a bunch of people who tried day trading and had their lunch handed to them.
Timing a bull market is no different than trying to time a bear market.
MDawg
MDawg
November 19th, 2021 at 8:30:34 PM permalink
SooPoo got it, and looks like he's benefited from emulating my style, both financially and simply as something to do that makes him feel relevant within the scheme of his financial future. I have so many long term shares of some of the stocks I trade, it's ridiculous, but that doesn't stop me from getting happy about booking even as little as a thousand bucks or even less on a trade of additional shares. Like I said, SooPoo gets it.

The rest of you, I don't want any trouble from the rest of you.
Last edited by: MDawg on Nov 19, 2021
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 19th, 2021 at 8:34:09 PM permalink

link to original post

Agree. I’m in the same boat.

This bull market is over a decade old now and I know a bunch of people who tried day trading and had their lunch handed to them.
Timing a bull market is no different than trying to time a bear market.
link to original post

Also agree. Trading is an entirely different animal, imo…bull or bear market.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 19th, 2021 at 10:52:24 PM permalink
I really think the ‘misunderstanding’ between TD and MD is really just semantics. MDawg describes what he does and called it ‘trading’. TDVegas disagrees that what MDawg describes is actually ‘trading’. So just take out that word and you see what MDawg does, and given the bull market and the specific stocks he has mentioned, none of his claims are outrageous. I periodically have mentioned specifically which stock ‘trades’ I was hoping to turnaround for a quick profit but are still underwater on. I think TD would call me more of a trader than MDawg because of such.
unJon
unJon
November 20th, 2021 at 2:43:40 AM permalink

Disagree. Completely. Day trading is a different animal. Entirely. He specifically uses the word trading, not investing. When the word trading is used, I consider that to be daily hit and runs…in effect day trading. Or trading stocks. Obviously it could be more than one day, but my point stands. Trading is different than investing. Investing in a bull market puts the wind at your back…it doesn’t guarantee profits.

On trading. Active trading. I trust this article and think it is you who is 100% wrong.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/if-you-re-day-trading-you-will-probably-lose-money-here-s-why-1030667770
link to original post

So you just pulled a straw man? Congratulations. Lol. Way to argue against something that is not what MDawg has described as what he is doing.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
November 20th, 2021 at 3:32:48 AM permalink
The old semantics game.

True or false: Every person who plays Roulette for at least an hour is a winner!

It's true! Every person who plays for an hour is almost certainly going to have at least one winning spin.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
MDawg
MDawg
November 20th, 2021 at 4:28:32 AM permalink

So you just pulled a straw man? Congratulations. Lol. Way to argue against something that is not what MDawg has described as what he is doing.
link to original post

Yup, he just keeps saying the same thing over and over again. If a trade I enter is profitable enough, I close it that day. If not, or if it runs (such as when I entered extra shares of TSLA the other day at 980), I hold it beyond that day. I'd say that close to 100% of my trades are in the money the same day. But the notable exceptions are the times when I get stuck, sometimes badly, and in all such cases, holding anywhere from another day to - the longest was four months - the stock has always come back. And that was just one time I had to hold four months, usually it takes just a day, a few days or max a matter of weeks to get back into the green. Percentage wise the number of trades I end up having to hold beyond that day is extremely low, so the combination of that I trade stocks that tend to go up over time, and my experience in doing this do lend to a very low need to hold any trade longer than a day, unless I want to do so.

Keep in mind too that I also sometimes average in more shares before the trade is closed out profitably.

If you look at SooPoo's trades I assume that you will find that over time as he gets better at this, the number of times he gets stuck and has to hold longer than a day will go down. Either that, or he will quit trading, because it's not for everyone.

But with the stocks I trade, they always come back to new ATHs no matter what anyway.

The only real question is: would I make more money trading additional shares, or simply accumulating and holding additional shares. But, also as discussed, there is the "fun" factor of trading that figures into the equation too.
unJon
unJon
November 20th, 2021 at 6:16:01 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

The old semantics game.

True or false: Every person who plays Roulette for at least an hour is a winner!

It's true! Every person who plays for an hour is almost certainly going to have at least one winning spin.
link to original post

Not really though DarkOz. Putting money in the stock market is +EV. What MDawg does trading wise is +EV, at least during a bull market.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
November 20th, 2021 at 6:29:51 AM permalink

The old semantics game.

link to original post

Not really though DarkOz. Putting money in the stock market is +EV. What MDawg does trading wise is +EV, at least during a bull market.
link to original post

I get that.

I was just showing an extreme example of how semantics works.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 20th, 2021 at 8:13:02 AM permalink

I'd say that close to 100% of my trades are in the money the same day.

Correct. The ones that aren’t are “moved” to a long term hold.

Based on that, everyone could claim “close to 100% of my trades are in the money.”

As stated, I consider your wording to be at best misleading or an attempt to mislead about your stock prowess. I note your statement above as evidence of that.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 20th, 2021 at 8:58:36 AM permalink

The old semantics game.

link to original post

Yep. I consider his posting to be a form of what you noted.

Convenient wording to always be winning.
MDawg
MDawg
November 20th, 2021 at 9:02:10 AM permalink
No, they are not moved to either long term (which I define as years), or a hold - they are converted to swing trades. Since you can't even get the terminology right and keep trying to pigeonhole what I do, I don't expect you to know what a swing trade is either. AND when I convert them to swing trades, I generally RAISE the sell price (Don't expect you to understand or accept why I do that either, although I have explained it more than once here. That's advanced trading 201.).

And the times I have to or choose to convert my day trades to swing trades in a given year is really not many times especially considering that I do an average of 20 trades a week when I am active. I am very good at this.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 20th, 2021 at 9:29:22 AM permalink
Tesla drops from $1,200 to $981….not one word of any “trades” thruout the drop period. No day trades trying to capitalize on intraday moves. Suddenly bottoms at $980. “I did a buy a $980, let’s see where it goes”…..as it had already rebounded that day.

Your posting is predictable, if anything.

Where are all the transactions (trades) trying to capitalize on the upswing after drops? Oh yeah, none of those trades are listed here because the stock was trading lower each time.

As I stated, I trust my assessment of your wording. It’s not difficult to see that you like to present yourself in the manner you do…all things gambling, stocks and I’m guessing whatever else.
MDawg
MDawg
November 20th, 2021 at 9:47:43 AM permalink

The only real question is: would I make more money trading additional shares, or simply accumulating and holding additional shares. But, also as discussed, there is the "fun" factor of trading that figures into the equation too.
link to original post

Meantime, others may sit around doing nothing on dip days. Which translates to earning, nothing.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 20th, 2021 at 10:51:31 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I really think the ‘misunderstanding’ between TD and MD is really just semantics. MDawg describes what he does and called it ‘trading’. TDVegas disagrees that what MDawg describes is actually ‘trading’. So just take out that word and you see what MDawg does, and given the bull market and the specific stocks he has mentioned, none of his claims are outrageous.

I'd say that close to 100% of my trades are in the money the same day.

Really? Again, I’m not so sure it’s NOT outrageous nor semantics. He is still claiming that “close to 100%” of his SAME DAY trades are in the money, What’s close to 100%?

99%…98%.

That is effectively saying you are almost never on the wrong side of a day trade (SAME DAY)

Sorry, I don’t believe that for a second.

Even if we drop it to 95%. 95 out of 100 day trades executed SAME DAY are in the money and the other 5% are tossed into a long or longer term hold? Days?

Utterly remarkable and frankly unbelievable. I understand what you are saying as to his claims…which is understandable. Losing trades are held. But, he’s STILL claiming an almost 100% record on his same day executions IN TOTAL. I understand that as meaning ALL (near 100%) the executed “buys” are in the money, same day. I assume he does not short.

Had he left it alone and my interpretation was taken…as you noted, fine. He seems to be doubling down that I still have it wrong and near 100% of his executable day trades are in the money, same day.
MDawg
MDawg
November 20th, 2021 at 11:24:50 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

Some take action and make things happen, while others just complain and jab from the outside looking in with envy.

There are three kinds of people.

1. The first, make things happen.

2. The second, watch things happen.

3. The third, wonder, What the h happened?
link to original post

TDVegas
TDVegas
Thanked by
Hullabaloo
November 20th, 2021 at 11:47:27 AM permalink
“Watch for people who are always bragging about who they are and what they do. A lion will never have to tell you it’s a lion”
-JP Morgan.

“If you have to brag about all the material things in your life, there probably isn’t much else to it”
-Henry Ford

“Bragging makes you seem less impressive. If you are doing something worth bragging about, others will brag for you”
-Jeff Bezos

“When you continually brag, it becomes painfully obvious to the rest of us what you are insanely insecure about…and quite frankly, it’s also very unattractive.”
-Elon Musk
Last edited by: TDVegas on Nov 20, 2021
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
TDVegas
November 20th, 2021 at 12:41:04 PM permalink
The Mexicans have a saying that translates to:- Show me what a man brags about and I'll tell you what he lacks.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
Thanked by
TDVegas
November 20th, 2021 at 1:51:43 PM permalink

The Mexicans have a saying that translates to:- Show me what a man brags about and I'll tell you what he lacks.
link to original post

He who stand on toilet seat. High on pot.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
TDVegas
November 20th, 2021 at 4:28:08 PM permalink

Tesla drops from $1,200 to $981….not one word of any “trades” thruout the drop period. No day trades trying to capitalize on intraday moves. Suddenly bottoms at $980. “I did a buy a $980, let’s see where it goes”…..as it had already rebounded that day.

Your posting is predictable, if anything.

Where are all the transactions (trades) trying to capitalize on the upswing after drops? Oh yeah, none of those trades are listed here because the stock was trading lower each time.

As I stated, I trust my assessment of your wording. It’s not difficult to see that you like to present yourself in the manner you do…all things gambling, stocks and I’m guessing whatever else.
link to original post

These are fair questions and points.
MDawg
MDawg
November 20th, 2021 at 9:56:17 PM permalink
As I mentioned some time ago, I'm not trading as much lately, too busy. Also once I caught additional shares of TSLA at 980 and decided to hold it past that day, I lost interest in trading even more shares as that swing trade kept rising. I recall a day when I posted that TSLA was up nicely, then the next day I didn't even look at the market again until I noticed that it had dropped from its intra-day high by the close. Anyway, what's the point, what was that day, Thursday? if I had bought the dip that day I'd be way up now anyway - if I'd bought even the high that day I'd be way up anyway - Friday's close was the high for the week. You could have bot TSLA at any price this week and sold at a profit at the close on Friday.

I'd suggest concentrating more on trying to do something or if you're resigned to that trading successfully is impossible, then stick to that theory and don't do it! because you will fail at what you don't believe in.

SooPoo entered more than a few trades at positions that I pointed out to him were less than optimal and he STILL ended up fine. He seems to be a doer.
MDawg
MDawg
November 23rd, 2021 at 1:16:07 PM permalink
When TSLA was down -90, I pulled the trigger on a small (for me) trade. To my amazement, it dropped even further, but then started to rise steadily so I decided to hold until the bell. Cha'ching! forty points, 1067 to 1107.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 23rd, 2021 at 5:25:37 PM permalink

When TSLA was down -90, I pulled the trigger on a small (for me) trade. To my amazement, it dropped even further, but then started to rise steadily so I decided to hold until the bell. Cha'ching! forty points, 1067 to 1107.
link to original post

Correct…and if it dropped more than -90 by close, you claim (to yourself) to add it to a long term hold or swing trade and this post is never made. The only post that is made is one that turns profitable intraday and becomes a trade.

Congrats…you’ve invented a way to never appear to lose. You’re not the first. I’m guessing baccarat for you works the same way.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 24th, 2021 at 11:59:45 AM permalink
Cha Ching!!

TSLA opened at 1,074, quick buy. Sold at $1,126 a few hours later. +$50.

Hey, this is fun. 🙄

Smells like…victory.
  • Jump to: