Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 24
July 26th, 2019 at 6:27:41 AM permalink
There's a big one from Equifax. And nobody deserves it more.

Over 100 million people are eligible for a $125 settlement. I am not one of them, but maybe you are. You can check here.

https://eligibility.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/en/eligibility

I figured I'd keep the thread general, in case others come up.
standbymyman
standbymyman
  • Threads: 1
July 26th, 2019 at 7:43:35 AM permalink
Good tip. I was going to split my settlement with you but 1/2 of 0...…...
prozema
prozema
  • Threads: 22
July 26th, 2019 at 7:49:44 AM permalink
Here are some ideas on how you might have spent your 10 hours ($25 / hr)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomsguide.com/amp/us/data-breach-to-dos,news-18007.html
"A little luck never hurt any fisherman, that's all I know." - Sig Hansen
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 16
July 26th, 2019 at 7:57:07 AM permalink
I'm not impacted. Tool may not be up to date.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 26th, 2019 at 9:08:26 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

There's a big one from Equifax.

You and I view adjectives differently. This is the company who had our entire information profile protected by a woman with a Master in English or some s#$%, right? Whose password was "password"? Who allowed the leak of literally every single Americans personal info, to the point if you are in any way "on the grid" your info has been compromised?

Dunno about you, but I would not sell that stuff for a hundred bucks. And the $125mm this "fine" looks to total is about 5months of their earnings. It. Is. Not. Enough.

In Face's America, we're gonna do some means testing on civil penalties. What good is a $5b fine to Facebook if the infraction nets them $25b? If you made $1k a day selling crack, and I fined you $100 a day for being a civic menace, are you gonna stop selling crack? C'mon, man.

I'd bury them so deep its replacement's roots would never reach them. Take that fine money for reparations to the offended and to rehome the workforce, kick the CEO's out on their ass (or into jail, depending), and start the seeding of a forest of Good Faith. Getting pretty tired of the no-recourse shot taking in corporate America.

Coup in '22.

ETA: They got me. Thanks, Rigo.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 18
July 26th, 2019 at 9:16:26 AM permalink
That website said I was affected but nothing ever happened to me personally so there's no information I can give them to get a settlement.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 26th, 2019 at 10:16:46 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

That website said I was affected but nothing ever happened to me personally so there's no information I can give them to get a settlement.

If you carry on through the online claim, there's 4 or so options...
1. Choose free credit monitoring, a cash payment (if you already have credit monitoring), or skip to the next section
2. If you spent time recovering from the breach, you can request payment
3. If you lost or spent money because of the breach, you can request payment
4. Confirm how you’d like to get your payment

Says for option "1" nothing is required and to continue to next page, where there is a personal info form.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 120
July 26th, 2019 at 10:24:37 AM permalink
My personal information has been impacted, so I get $125. I don't know who the hell would want to steal my identity, but I'd have likely sold it for less than that, so thanks to whoever that was.

It says that you certify you have credit monitoring for six months if you take the settlement, which I do, as the result of some previous breach in which the company said data may have been compromised and offered the free monitoring right off the rip. I don't know why my data is getting compromised all the time, but it gets me free monitoring and now cash, so I guess I'll take it.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 120
July 26th, 2019 at 10:26:35 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

You don't have to, they decide if you were impacted or not, which just means that unauthorized parties could have accessed your personal data. Just fill out the forms and hit the buttons that say you spent no time dealing with it, that it didn't cost you anything, and you still get either two years of credit monitoring or $125 if you certify you do and will have credit monitoring for the next six months already.
Vultures can't be choosers.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 10
July 26th, 2019 at 10:31:14 AM permalink
You should have received the free credit monitoring in the past, so just click to get the $125. No further statement or docs necessary.

There are so many data breaches going on that at the moment either I or clients of mine have free credit monitoring from all three credit bureaus anyway, every time you turn around lately either Experian TransUnion or Equifax is offering free credit monitoring due to some breach.

• Jump to: