Thread Rating:

VladAlex1
VladAlex1
  • Threads: 23
January 13th, 2024 at 6:19:26 PM permalink
Macao trip pics. Dinner cost was covered by organizers. Very much Asian meals. I even do not know what it was about. Just remember it was top expensive and very yummy
Flip pot over presentation

I’d rather have to be a lucky player than good one.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 20th, 2024 at 5:22:05 PM permalink
Anyone else want to embark on an experiment of freezing entire drinks in a paper or plastic cup? If you get it just right, it's kind of like a barely frozen solid that melts at a slow but satisfying rate. I've only tried it in a paper cup. Not sure if a plastic cup is flexible enough to leak the melt back from anywhere in the cup like a paper cup though.

If you normally drink the beverage with ice, then add the usual amount of ice before you freeze it then it will taste the same.

(Freezing beverages in glass is not recommended)

(I take no responsibility if something explodes. Proceed at your own discretion)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 20th, 2024 at 5:47:52 PM permalink
Do you mean cocktails, or just any drink as well, like juice or soda?
A falling knife has no handle.
rxwine
rxwine
January 20th, 2024 at 6:36:48 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Do you mean cocktails, or just any drink as well, like juice or soda?
link to original post

If it's pure alcohol and no other mix, probably not. But if it's a combination of things, well, I don't know. Probably depends on the drink and how you like it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
January 20th, 2024 at 6:37:53 PM permalink
Alcohol is not so easily frozen.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 20th, 2024 at 6:37:58 PM permalink
If you are talking frozen cocktails, there is a standard "brandy slush" recipe that the extended family insists on.
Basically a blend of orange juice, lemonade, sugar water (simple syrup), tea, and liquor.
The alcohol and high sugar content moves the freezing point to a bit below "standard" freezer temperature; so only a partial freeze (slush) is obtained.
Typical service is a scoop or two in a tall glass (or, honestly, a red cup - this isn't the fancy side of the family), top with soda (ginger ale, 7up, or a lemon-lime), although a number of the aunts (the self described "fun aunts") make a point of taking an extra spoonful and eating it like granita.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
January 20th, 2024 at 6:41:17 PM permalink
Some kinds of bottled alcohol might separate into other components. Like I said, it's experiment.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 20th, 2024 at 6:48:36 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Some kinds of bottled alcohol might separate into other components. Like I said, it's experiment.
link to original post

I know there is a "freeze distillation" technique used in the production of Eisbock style beer...

... and before the absinthe ban was lifted, the Pernod I could get would turn white in the freezer (similar to the louche clouding).

A number of my ex-brother-in-law's vodkas would have their oiliness accentuated in the freezer.

I don't recommend freezing for beer, wine, or spirits below 35%ABV. Good luck!
rxwine
rxwine
January 20th, 2024 at 6:57:22 PM permalink
If there are 221,184 ways for a customer to order a Whopper, then no way any human has tried all the beverage combos when you include all beverages, and even food additives.
rxwine
rxwine
January 20th, 2024 at 7:00:16 PM permalink
I tried hard boiling eggs with cloves in the water once. Didn't make a damn difference. : [
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 20th, 2024 at 8:37:46 PM permalink
Wegman’s frozen thin crust Veggie pizza. I add extra red sauce on top, tonight also an extra chopped onion. Plus of course minced garlic. Perfect size for wifey and me.

Lunch was beef hot dogs (broiled) with honey Dijon mustard. Plus a chopped up avocado on the side.

I’ve been snacking mostly on nuts. I have pistachio’s, almonds, and cashews. Cheating is Sea Salt Caramel Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream.

I still don’t know how I’ve lost all this weight.
Mosca
Mosca
January 21st, 2024 at 3:28:07 AM permalink
The Wegman’s thin crust pizzas (are they naan?) are really good! There’s a $2 digital coupon out there for Wegman’s mixed nuts: cashews, almonds, pecans, and pistachios. That’s my go-to as well. I’ve lost 122 lbs since retiring 2 years ago.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mosca
January 21st, 2024 at 3:44:35 AM permalink

That’s my go-to as well. I’ve lost 122 lbs since retiring 2 years ago.

\

Congrats, that is awesome.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Mosca
Mosca
January 21st, 2024 at 5:31:29 AM permalink
A refried bean omelet. This was pretty damn good, actually.

Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambit
January 21st, 2024 at 5:34:45 AM permalink
Last night, I made pesto chicken Caprese. Also, broiled zucchini and yellow squash with mush/onion/garlic, and mushroom tortelloni.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 21st, 2024 at 5:39:08 AM permalink

I tried hard boiling eggs with cloves in the water once. Didn't make a damn difference. : [
link to original post

Were you trying to make a "tea egg"?
(Cracking the shell is essential.)
rxwine
rxwine
January 21st, 2024 at 6:40:23 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Wegman’s frozen thin crust Veggie pizza. I add extra red sauce on top, tonight also an extra chopped onion. Plus of course minced garlic. Perfect size for wifey and me.

Lunch was beef hot dogs (broiled) with honey Dijon mustard. Plus a chopped up avocado on the side.

I’ve been snacking mostly on nuts. I have pistachio’s, almonds, and cashews. Cheating is Sea Salt Caramel Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream.

I still don’t know how I’ve lost all this weight.
link to original post

The man who ate over 30,000 Big Mac is still alive. Now over 32,000+

Quote:

Donald Gorske still has a great blood sugar level, an exceptionally good cholesterol, and walks about six miles per day to maintain his health¹.

I would guess a combo of calories restriction overall, lots of walking, and probably good genes.
Mosca
Mosca
January 21st, 2024 at 6:45:31 AM permalink
My blood sugar and triglycerides didn’t really get in line until I started exercising regularly. Then they dropped like the mercury in northern Canada on Jan 15th.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 21st, 2024 at 7:46:25 AM permalink

link to original post

I bet I haven't eaten three Big Macs in my entire life and they all would have been prior to 1970. When they cost 49 cents. I used to go there twice a week at least when I was in high school you could get four burgers and four fries for a dollar. When they raised their prices in the late sixties I quit going and I don't think I've been there twice since then.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
January 21st, 2024 at 7:58:40 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

I bet I haven't eaten three Big Macs in my entire life and they all would have been prior to 1970. When they cost 49 cents. I used to go there twice a week at least when I was in high school you could get four burgers and four fries for a dollar. When they raised their prices in the late sixties I quit going and I don't think I've been there twice since then.
link to original post

Well, all the big mac eating guy's story may prove, is the body can tolerate small amounts of poison without greater harm, not that it's fine with that diet.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
rxwine
January 21st, 2024 at 8:15:28 AM permalink
The Big Mac is one of the few perfect foods you can eat. It's got all the major food groups in one sandwich. You got your bread, your meat, your dairy, and your veggies, all in one handheld instrument that requires no cleanup. When I think of the time the man saved by having 32,000 of them, I'm almost jealous. I'd wager he has saved well over 1,000 hours of menial food prep and cleanup. Think of the improved QOL he has with the hundreds of hours he saves every year.
A truly inspirational tale of genuine ' American ingenuity and perseverance.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambit
January 21st, 2024 at 8:31:03 AM permalink
😂😂😂😂😂

I’ve had maybe a couple-three Big Macs in the last 10 years. Each one has been so dry that I could barely swallow it. Every time I think about how I remember them from 40-50 years ago, and think about getting one, I’m brought back to reality by my more recent memories.

Same with Whoppers. Growing up, we would drive half an hour for the bestest hugest greasiest fast food burger on the planet. Now I wouldn’t walk 400 yards for the opportunity to choke on one.
DRich
DRich
January 21st, 2024 at 9:40:26 AM permalink

Now I wouldn’t walk 400 yards for the opportunity to choke on one.

I rarely walk 400 yards for anything. Probably just at the airport to get to my gate.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 21st, 2024 at 10:34:11 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I rarely walk 400 yards for anything. Probably just at the airport to get to my gate.
link to original post

That's why you have two wives, so they can push you from room to room in a wheelbarrow.
Mosca
Mosca
January 21st, 2024 at 10:45:28 AM permalink

link to original post

That’s about how close the nearest BK is, that’s why I picked that number!
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mosca
January 21st, 2024 at 12:08:37 PM permalink
Same with Whoppers. Growing up, we would drive half an hour for the bestest hugest greasiest fast food burger on the planet. Now I wouldn’t walk 400 yards for the opportunity to choke on one.
link to original post

I had my first Whopper about 1964 and it was downtown and my mother bought it for me and it was the best hamburger I ever ate in my life up to then. It was huge, way bigger than they are now and way better than they are now. When my brother was in the nursing home last year I stopped at BK and bought him one of those new fake meat Whoppers and it was $8! I couldn't believe it, that's how all the touch I am with fast food. There's a story in the news about somebody dug up a Taco Bell receipt from 10 years ago and compared it to Taco Bell prices today and they've gone up literally 300% in 10 years. Much of it in the last 2 years. People who work at Taco Bell say they can't afford to eat there.
Last edited by: EvenBob on Jan 21, 2024
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2024 at 12:37:01 PM permalink
Taco Bell recently unveiled a value menu that has attracted national news. About a dozen items under $3. I don't eat there very often, and the meal I get when I do has almost doubled in about ten years. From 5.99 to 10.99. The Bell used to give good value but they got away from it.
If you use most fast food places apps, I'd argue it cost less than a few years ago. McDonald's almost always has BOGOs for various burgers or discounts, as does Wendy's and Burger King. They take care of their loyal customers. Someone has to pay for all the comps.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
VladAlex1
January 21st, 2024 at 1:14:26 PM permalink
Big day when you cook as much as I do, I got a new food scale today. I use one every day multiple times and the old one was getting hard to turn on and off so just to be safe I bought a new one on Amazon for half price. It's small but the accuracy checks out. I now have two scales a small one and a larger one. I weigh just about everything to make sure I'm staying under my calorie limit for the day. Drew Carey lost a lot of weight and he says nothing tastes as good as feeling thin feels. Right on..

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 21st, 2024 at 1:42:44 PM permalink
The youngest has done exceptionally well in school of late, so I took her out to Wendy's.
The $3 keytags to get free (very small) Frosties for a year are an amazing deal (if you like frosties).

The burgers used to be better.
We did not get the 50 nuggets for $15.
Mosca
Mosca
January 24th, 2024 at 7:05:23 AM permalink
Migas for breakfast today. I didn’t have any jalapeños so I used half a poblano and ghost pepper Jack cheese.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 24th, 2024 at 8:11:25 AM permalink
A Dairy Queen breakfast bowl (salsa/chicken) and a hot fudge shake.

Now if you've never heard of DQ's fine breakfast offerings, there's a sound reason for that. The good news is that there is probably a better option just an hour or two farther along the turnpike.

Watery scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, soggy fried chicken, topped in salsa. Meh.

I did consider the "gravy" options, but they seemed even less appetizing.

The shake was mediocre, but the family said I did well getting shots at the doctor the other day and had to have a treat. Since I'm unwilling to subject myself to factory-made Dilly bars...
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 24th, 2024 at 3:34:10 PM permalink
Open face ground lamb sloppy joes with pumpkin spice soup, homemade of course.

Mosca
Mosca
January 24th, 2024 at 4:45:53 PM permalink

link to original post

Looks good, Bob. I love lamb, but Mrs doesn’t so I don’t eat it often; usually only in restaurants, and only if it’s a special (less chance of it coming from the freezer). I’m not a fan of pumpkin spice in a lot of things, but a good pumpkin soup is downright sublime; it’s got not just the flavor, but also the confluence of flavor, texture, and temperature all working together to create total gastronomic delight!
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 24th, 2024 at 5:42:39 PM permalink
Swiss steak from the slow cooker with mashed potatoes and Brussels Sprouts.
"What, me worry?"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 24th, 2024 at 5:43:25 PM permalink
Carrabbas. It may be a ‘chain’ but I get a local feel. As usual, I ask wifey what she’s having, so I know what most of my meal will be. I’d bet the under on 1/3 of her eating total. She went chicken piccata with side of fettuccine Alfredo. Peppercorn Parmesan mixed salad to start. So. Just ordered the ‘Cozze en Bianco’ (mussels in GARLIC white wine sauce) as my meal. Has to be a few dozen minced garlic cloves in there. When done with the mussels there is basically a bowl of garlic soup left. Did I mention there was a lot of garlic in it?

I love garlic.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 24th, 2024 at 6:23:35 PM permalink

link to original post

Looks good, Bob. I love lamb, but Mrs doesn’t so I don’t eat it often; usually only in restaurants, and only if it’s a special (less chance of it coming from the freezer). I’m not a fan of pumpkin spice in a lot of things, but a good pumpkin soup is downright sublime; it’s got not just the flavor, but also the confluence of flavor, texture, and temperature all working together to create total gastronomic delight!
link to original post

I ground my own lamb and it was so lean that it would have been inedible in anything else but a sloppy sloppy joe. Pumpkin spice soup is really good in the winter and it's just sweet enough but not too sweet. I like to put croutons in it.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Mosca
January 25th, 2024 at 7:28:53 AM permalink

A "Red Rooster" breakfast. Hash browns (a bit less crunchy than perfect, but I'm trying not to be fussy), country fried steak smothered in red chili gravy, topped with two eggs over easy, and a side of wheat toast.

The red chili is more intense than I'm used to (I always have this complaint), but the food is a nice change of pace from Kansas.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2024 at 9:12:44 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

A "Red Rooster" breakfast. Hash browns (a bit less crunchy than perfect, but I'm trying not to be fussy), country fried steak smothered in red chili gravy, topped with two eggs over easy, and a side of wheat toast.

The red chili is more intense than I'm used to (I always have this complaint), but the food is a nice change of pace from Kansas.
link to original post

I think you got confused. After you had your medical emergency and your doctor showed you pictures of food that you can eat and foods that you should never eat, you have juxtaposed them. Anything with the word gravy in it or the word Chicken Fried is to be avoided at all costs. There's more saturated fat in that meal then I eat in an entire month. Next you're going to say it's the only thing they had on the menu. Sure it was..
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 25th, 2024 at 9:24:16 AM permalink

link to original post

I think you got confused. After you had your medical emergency and your doctor showed you pictures of food that you can eat and foods that you should never eat, you have juxtaposed them. Anything with the word gravy in it or the word Chicken Fried is to be avoided at all costs. There's more saturated fat in that meal then I eat in an entire month. Next you're going to say it's the only thing they had on the menu. Sure it was..
link to original post

No, it wasn't the only thing on the menu.

I probably won't eat much else for the rest of the day. Maybe a little fruit if I get peckish. (Doc did tell me that apples are OK.)
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2024 at 9:34:03 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I probably won't eat much else for the rest of the day. Maybe a little fruit if I get peckish. (Doc did tell me that apples are OK.)
link to original post

I also see you forgot to mention the fried potatoes that are under the chicken fried steak. If you're feeling shame right now, I completely understand.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 25th, 2024 at 9:40:25 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I also see you forgot to mention the fried potatoes that are under the chicken fried steak. If you're feeling shame right now, I completely understand.
link to original post

Do hash browns mean something other than fried potatoes where you live?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2024 at 10:09:17 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Do hash browns mean something other than fried potatoes where you live?
link to original post

Calling them fried potatoes sounds more artery clogging than hash browns. A fried potato is a fried potato no matter how you try to cutcify it into something else.
billryan
billryan
January 25th, 2024 at 10:26:26 AM permalink
I've never heard of red chili gravy. I used to order chicken fried steak regularly and it always came with white gravy, usually entirely too much white gravy. There didn't seem to be an option.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2024 at 10:33:43 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've never heard of red chili gravy. I used to order chicken fried steak regularly and it always came with white gravy, usually entirely too much white gravy. There didn't seem to be an option.
link to original post

Chili gravy is basically enchilada sauce, the two are interchangeable. They have exactly the same ingredients.
Mosca
Mosca
January 25th, 2024 at 10:52:28 AM permalink

link to original post

I had quadruple bypass in ‘92. Then for the next 30 years I ate whatever the hell I wanted to. It didn’t do me any good, but I’m still here. A couple years ago I started eating less and exercising more, and what I wanted to eat changed; but I would DESTROY that breakfast. I’d probably go to that place once a week for that particular meal.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2024 at 4:28:19 PM permalink
Tuna and salmon salad open-faced sandwiches on toast with pumpkin spice soup. The smoked paprika on top is what makes it.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 25th, 2024 at 5:00:37 PM permalink

Quote: billryan

link to original post

Chili gravy is basically enchilada sauce, the two are interchangeable. They have exactly the same ingredients.
link to original post

This seemed a bit thicker than the usual enchilada sauce I encounter. I think somebody's Abuelita was in the kitchen, fussing and making sure it was right.
Other menu items mentioned Hatch, but I don't recall if this one did.

Mosca: This is but one reason why I drive. Planes don't layover for breakfast here or seemingly anyplace else worthwhile.
Mosca
Mosca
January 25th, 2024 at 5:51:36 PM permalink

Mosca: This is but one reason why I drive. Planes don't layover for breakfast here or seemingly anyplace else worthwhile.
link to original post

I used to be a member of the Roadfood website, specifically so that, when traveling, I wasn’t stuck at Denny’s for breakfast, Arby’s for lunch, and Olive Garden for dinner. It was great, I still have friends I met through there. But Michael Stern sold it and moved on. There is a Friends of Roadfood Facebook group, though, and when I traveled to North Carolina last spring, I found Schaffer’s BBQ recommended through them; if you’re traveling through Middletown, VA, it is absolutely worth a stop.

DRich
DRich
January 25th, 2024 at 6:32:35 PM permalink

I had quadruple bypass in ‘92. Then for the next 30 years I ate whatever the hell I wanted to. It didn’t do me any good, but I’m still here. A couple years ago I started eating less and exercising more, and what I wanted to eat changed; but I would DESTROY that breakfast. I’d probably go to that place once a week for that particular meal.
link to original post

I am 57 years old and had my heart attack almost 25 years ago. I have not changed my routine at all. If I drop dead tomorrow, so be it at least I will have made a good bet on my life insurance policy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2024 at 6:40:41 PM permalink

link to original post

I am 57 years old and had my heart attack almost 25 years ago. I have not changed my routine at all. If I drop dead tomorrow, so be it at least I will have made a good bet on my life insurance policy.
link to original post

My oldest friend had a heart attack and bypass surgery at age 42 he's still around at 75. I believe Dieter is in his early forties, Mosca sounds like he had a heart attack in his forties. What is it about the 40s, that's so young.
  • Jump to: