DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 8543
July 11th, 2021 at 11:39:01 AM permalink
It is supposed to cool down to 115 here today. I golfed this morning and was expecting it to be miserable but it wasn't that bad. I think it was only 106 when we finished.
Order from chaos
coilman
coilman
Joined: Jan 29, 2012
  • Threads: 137
  • Posts: 1141
July 11th, 2021 at 12:30:09 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

117 was a little warm but nothing to complain about.



Not till something like this happens in the great Southwest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd3teNgUq8E
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 3002
July 11th, 2021 at 1:21:49 PM permalink
Electricity prices spiked to $800/MW in downstate New York when it hit 100 degrees at the top of the month, $80/MW in the Capitol Albany region, still only $22/MW in western NYS. So when you get an alert on your phone at 4pm demanding you shut off everything, it probably also means the price of electricity is going off the charts immediately.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 8543
July 11th, 2021 at 3:04:13 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Electricity prices spiked to $800/MW in downstate New York when it hit 100 degrees at the top of the month, $80/MW in the Capitol Albany region, still only $22/MW in western NYS. So when you get an alert on your phone at 4pm demanding you shut off everything, it probably also means the price of electricity is going off the charts immediately.



The last few days we have been getting messages from Nevada Power to limit power usage from 6pm to 9pm. My air conditioners have been running non-stop for four days. They have not caught up and have litteraly been running for four days. My upstairs bedroom is 89 degrees right now at 3pm. It will continue to go up until about 9pm. I expect 93 degrees when I go to bed. I am guessing it is costing me about $50 a day in electricity. I have 8 tons of air conditioning but the units are older and inefficient.
Order from chaos
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 3002
July 11th, 2021 at 3:12:14 PM permalink
I use up to 20 kwhrs per day. At $0.06/kwhr that'd be $1.20 a day; but I think my electricity rate has doubled sometime in the last few months since the Texas blackout, so that'd be $2.40 a day.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 434
  • Posts: 25333
July 11th, 2021 at 5:00:44 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

My upstairs bedroom is 89 degrees right now at 3pm. It will continue to go up until about 9pm. I expect 93 degrees when I go to bed.



Why don't you have an auxiliary window unit in your bedroom. An 8000 BTU unit would cost you almost nothing compared to what you're paying for the rest of the house and it would cool the bedroom. I have a 6000 BTU in my bedroom and it almost feels like a freezer in here on hot days.

When scientists are asked to name the invention the changed the world more than anything else they usually say refrigeration. Nobody ever guesses that correctly. Refrigeration changed more things more radically for more people than anything else. It preserves food both long-term and daily. It makes whole regions of the world inhabitable that were once uninhabitable. It makes driving a car in the summer bearable. It makes seeing a movie in July enjoyable. In fact movie theaters in New York City we're the first buildings to get air conditioning and on any hot day of the week in the 1930s and 40s they were filled to capacity with people getting in out of the heat.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 8543
July 11th, 2021 at 6:24:15 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Why don't you have an auxiliary window unit in your bedroom. An 8000 BTU unit would cost you almost nothing compared to what you're paying for the rest of the house and it would cool the bedroom. I have a 6000 BTU in my bedroom and it almost feels like a freezer in here on hot days.



Simple answer, normally I wouldn't need it. I have lived here 30 years and in this house seven years. This is the first time it has got this bad. I almost invested in a box fan but it is supposed to cool down to highs of 108 this week and I won't need it. At 108 the house air conditioner seems to keep up.
Order from chaos
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 13330
July 11th, 2021 at 8:07:48 PM permalink
Do you have a flat roof?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 8543
July 12th, 2021 at 6:04:53 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Do you have a flat roof?



If you are asking me the answer is no, I assume that you are asking Bob.
Order from chaos
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 13330
July 12th, 2021 at 6:18:21 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

If you are asking me the answer is no, I assume that you are asking Bob.



I was asking you. I was going to share a trick I learned when I lived on the 6th floor of a six-story building and needed 24-7 AC to keep the place from baking.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.

  • Jump to: