EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
June 28th, 2021 at 11:31:51 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

there are many news articles out there implying that this is due to climate change

Portland was over 100 degrees in 1891 and many times throughout the 20th century. What was their excuse then, what were we doing to change the climate. Too much horse poop in the streets?
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 340
June 28th, 2021 at 12:24:37 PM permalink

there are many news articles out there implying that this is due to climate change and it will not be a rare event. obviously, you're not among those who believe that

I follow science and support the belief that our introduction of emissions into the atmosphere has negatively affected the climate (greenhouse effect).

Why would you think otherwise?

Oh, I see; you "twisted" my comment above to ascribe to me a belief which I do not hold, i.e. that higher temperatures WILL NOT BE a rare event in the future.

That is not what I was saying.

In fact I was saying that extreme heat events like this HAVE BEEN rare events historically (past tense, I was not prognosticating as to future climate events).

I do however believe that increased heat events will likely become more common in the future unless we act to reverse the effects of climate change.

These events TO DATE have been very rare, an aberation: let's hope it stays that way, and that we take the steps needed to tame the environment.
Last edited by: MrV on Jun 28, 2021
"What, me worry?"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 205
June 28th, 2021 at 1:43:35 PM permalink

EB doesn't believe the climate is changing

from the article from NASA:

"Yes, the vast majority of actively publishing climate scientists 97 percent agree that humans are causing global warming and climate change. Most of the leading science organizations around the world have issued public statements expressing this, including international and U.S. science academies, the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and a whole host of reputable scientific bodies around the world. A list of these organizations is provided here."

but why would anybody listen to what 97% of climate scientists have to say when you can follow EB's brilliant analysis right here on WOV?

no need to look elsewhere - you can get top notch commentary right here from EB

he's obviously smarter than all those climate scientists - you think they could figure out how to beat roulette? - no way

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/17/do-scientists-agree-on-climate-change/

"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 29
June 28th, 2021 at 5:09:00 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

New all time record heat reading yesterday in Canada. Will be broken again next couple of days again.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-33_metric_e.html

Hottest day ever in Las Vegas 117

Today in Lytton a town in BC Canada hit 116.6

Tuesday could be 1 degree hotter.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 28th, 2021 at 5:50:21 PM permalink

"Yes, the vast majority of actively publishing climate scientists 97 percent agree

Reminds me of the 1940s cigarette ads that's said 9 out of 10 doctors agree that Lucky's are good for you. That is just as convincing as what 'climate scientists' agree on. Is climate science even a real thing? Can you get doctorate in climate science?
MrV
MrV
June 28th, 2021 at 6:13:15 PM permalink
EB,the nice thing about you living in a *figurative* cave is that you aren't bothered by the goings on of other people.

The bad thing is your inability to benefit by new learning.
"What, me worry?"
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
June 28th, 2021 at 7:24:32 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

Hottest day ever in Las Vegas 117

Today in Lytton a town in BC Canada hit 116.6

Tuesday could be 1 degree hotter.

Looks like the official high temperature will be 115*F.

https://weather.gc.ca/past_conditions/index_e.html?station=wly
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 80
June 28th, 2021 at 7:45:32 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

Looks like the official high temperature will be 115*F.

https://weather.gc.ca/past_conditions/index_e.html?station=wly

A mere warm day.
Order from chaos
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 28th, 2021 at 8:12:15 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

The bad thing is your inability to benefit by new learning.

I've been listening to this climate crap literally all of my life yet here I am with the same old spring summer fall and winter that I remember from 1955. The world was supposed to be overpopulated by 1980 and starving from lack of food. The oceans were supposed to be completely devoid of fish my 1997 yet here I am still eating cans of sardines for any $0.89 each and 15 oz cans of salmon for 2:19. I see fish markets in Japan that sell literally tons of fish a day. New York City was supposed to be underwater by 1985 from all the glaciers in the world melting. I do know one thing for an absolute fact. What we've had happen in the past, many times in the past, are ice ages. And as as sure as the cows come home every night to the barn, there is another Ice Age coming. And that will beat the living heck out of anything a little global warming would do
MrV
MrV
Thanks for this post from:
Johnzimbo
June 28th, 2021 at 8:36:33 PM permalink
Global warming is not like turning on a light switch, it is gradual.

Be patient.

By the end of this century the changes will be quite evident.

Alas, you won't be alive to see all the changes: the higher temps, change in rain patterns and higher sea levels, but you're seeing some now, if only you'd open your eyes..

"What, me worry?"

• Jump to: