Thread Rating:

thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 17th, 2014 at 4:41:37 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

I think this 47% thing is all trumped up because it includes minor children and Social Security recipients. Take those two groups out of the equation and tell me what the number is.

Plus Vets, pensioners and a whole lot of people who 'built that' and saved that way, the way they were told by sucessive governments.

As long as the tea-party loving constitutionalists continue to use '47%' as some sort of mantra, they'll keep playing in the weeds and not make any real change. As soon as you say 'you lot are the problem... all of you 47%', anyone part of that group is turned off from whatever message they are trying to get across.

It's harmful to the cause, but they seem to love to keep using it as some sort of nose in the air position.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
December 17th, 2014 at 4:44:42 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

If she runs and we have to see her
in debate after debate, it will become
obvious she's not that bright or likable.
People on the inside say she was a
horror in the WH. She would scream
and yell and demean subordinates in
front of others, she even had a rule that
nobody was to make eye contact with
her in the halls. She treated the military
in the WH like servants, not letting them wear
their uniforms. People were terrified
of her, she's a shrill tyrant.

I wonder if the truth of who Chelsea Clinton's father is can come out now, not that it matters? Here's some refresher fun, I haven't authenticated much of this but the similarity's between Hubbell and Chelsea are remarkable.

Hard to believe that this creature would actually still be offered to the American people as anything but an animal, let alone a candidate.

http://1984arkansasmotheroftheyear.blogspot.com/2012/02/chelsea-clinton-is-biological-daughter.html
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 17th, 2014 at 4:51:10 PM permalink

If she runs and we have to see her
in debate after debate, it will become
obvious she's not that bright or likable.
People on the inside say she was a
horror in the WH. She would scream
and yell and demean subordinates in
front of others, she even had a rule that
nobody was to make eye contact with
her in the halls. People were terrified
of her, she's a shrill tyrant.

Sarah Palin?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 17th, 2014 at 6:10:29 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

http://1984arkansasmotheroftheyear.blogspot.com/2012/02/chelsea-clinton-is-biological-daughter.html

Old news. Bill and Hill were both very
good looking in their 20's. Two good
looking people would never have a kid
that looks like Chelsea. Not possible.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 17th, 2014 at 6:16:30 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

As long as the tea-party loving constitutionalists continue to use '47%' as some sort of mantra, they'll keep playing in the weeds and not make any real change. As soon as you say 'you lot are the problem... all of you 47%', anyone part of that group is turned off from whatever message they are trying to get across.

It's harmful to the cause, but they seem to love to keep using it as some sort of nose in the air position.

I use it because I know it irritates liberals who want the 47% to grow to 52%. If you are not part of the 47% you have nothing to be upset about, if you are part of it you need to get out of the cart and start helping to pull it.

They can be as "turned off" as they like, truth is that Romney was right, they will keep voting for their handouts.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 17th, 2014 at 6:42:31 PM permalink

Old news. Bill and Hill were both very
good looking in their 20's. Two good
looking people would never have a kid
that looks like Chelsea. Not possible.

I agree Bob it is old news. It just baffles me that HRC is being taken as a serious candidate America. I don't get how people can live their lives so disconnected from how evil these politicos are. How can anyone who knows one tenth of the stuff I put up in that link, if only half of it is credible, suggest her? Is it so their party may win and f*** the country? It makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

I watched a documentary last night on the revolutionary war and how serious the early Americans were about their liberty. Enough that, [as you know] many literally gave their lives. I'm not going to wax all patriotic but, sob, how have we fallen so far that my fellow Americans can view these elections as cavalierly as trying to guess who Kimmy K's babydaddy is?

I know you and some others know this, I couldn't just let it lay there like a stinking dung heap. It was not that long ago.

I watched a documentary partly today on factory farms. I have watched my food for quite a while. In it were segments from the show fast food nation. Factory beef slaughter houses, which I have been around. It said, if the slaughter houses would just switch there beef animals for 5 days from corn to grass it would eliminate 80% of the e coli. Included was a tour through the smith processing plant in N. Carolina, the largest in the world. Crazy. The country is down to 13 [as of '08] meet packing plants in the country, 13!

I thought there was only remnants of 500 different animals in one burger, it turns out there can be remnants of thousands of animals in one burger. Mad cow disease in just one animal, or e coli in just one animal infects thousands of tons of meat distributed thoughout the country.

[My point being] Tyson meats [or at the time Tyson chicken] from Arkansas was the biggest contributor to Bill's campaign for governor back in the day. Big Ag, Big Pharma, Banking and Oil pretty much are running the show. Oh,and Wall street.

I didn't want anyone to forget about the Clinton's. She is not innocent of Bill's crimes by a long shot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 17th, 2014 at 7:30:26 PM permalink

I thought there was only remnants of 500 different animals in one burger

In what burger. Most grocery stores
with a meat dept grind their own,
it's too expensive to have it done
elsewhere. It needs to hit the shelf
immediately to get it sold as fast
as possible. I grind my own burger,
only takes a few minutes.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 17th, 2014 at 8:06:01 PM permalink

Next time you are cruising the meat isle, look at the cheapo burger in a tube, it is often called chub.

It is what stores use to adjust the lean content of they're burger.

They use bull meat to lean the meat and chub to lower it. That is how your store has various percentages of lean content, like 87, 90 or 94. Any midsize store has it, look around.
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 17th, 2014 at 9:18:59 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I use it because I know it irritates liberals who want the 47% to grow to 52%. If you are not part of the 47% you have nothing to be upset about, if you are part of it you need to get out of the cart and start helping to pull it.

They can be as "turned off" as they like, truth is that Romney was right, they will keep voting for their handouts.

You use, though it's a lie. The fact you continue to use when people point out who you are including, and demeaning, means you don't care. It means every time you use it, people decide the rest of what you are saying is meaningless, as you've discounted hundred of thousands of people's lives, people who are natural Republican voters, people who are the very same hard working Americans you seem to think the tea party is about. The people on assistance, from 100's of reasons, the vets, the pensioners, the temproary unemployed, the sick and disabled.

You don't hit the work shy, the grubbers and the greedy, the one's who want the handouts and easy life. They don't care about your high minded values anyways. You don't get the -far- smaller minority of people who are indeed voting for handouts. It's not 47% of the American public. But every time you say it is, you fail.

You fail hard in convincing anyone you have a position worth listening to.

You fail in making you arguments for small government with a simple dismissal of half the electorate.

You fail in making arguments for self improvement, as you merely say 'meh, you lot are just living off handouts and just not worthy of MY consideration'.

You use it, because you want a easy crutch for the failures of Romney to win an election that was all his to win.

You use it, in the face of the facts, because winding up liberals is far more important to you than a cogent argument on welfare and social assistance programs.

So keep using it. Go right ahead. Every time you do, I know I can stop reading, as it'll be parrotted from your 'high information' news sources, said with a false sense of superiority in your viewpoint which is highly misplaced, and obviously so by the VERY fact you use it like a flyswatter, waving it around uselessy to chase away those irritating ideas that might just challenge your world view.

'47%' lost Romney an election. Just keep repeating the mistake he made, and blame other people instead. Keep failing. The US is your country, not mine. The right of American politics never winning another election doesn't matter to me. Keep using the punchline without a joke....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 18th, 2014 at 12:08:11 AM permalink

So keep using it. Go right ahead. Every time you do, I know I can stop reading,.

Promise? Does that mean you'll stop commenting
from another country too? I'm cool with that..
I could care less what goes on in countries where
I don't live, like Canada and the wimpy GB. Maybe
you could adopt the same attitude.

Remember when GB was a force to be reckoned with?
Neither does anybody else..
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 18th, 2014 at 12:25:52 AM permalink

It could be worse, we could get this.
And this pic is a couple years old.
69 in 2016, 70 the year she gets
sworn in. Shudder..

Change the hair and I see George Washington. At least we know nobody has to sex her.
I am a robot.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 2:36:10 AM permalink

The way to tell is the shape of the package. Wal-Mart has ground meat in those nice, rectangular blocks which comes in ground. If it looks like that it was done off-site.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 3:11:18 AM permalink

'47%' lost Romney an election. Just keep repeating the mistake he made, and blame other people instead. Keep failing. The US is your country, not mine. The right of American politics never winning another election doesn't matter to me. Keep using the punchline without a joke....

The comment is not what cost Romney the election. Had it not been for the last-minute Katrina I think he might have won. Romney was of course running against both Obama and the in-the-bag for him media while Obama was running a run-out-the-clock prevent defense. It is very hard to unseat a sitting US POTUS, the only times it has happened in modern history were during a depression, when a 3rd candidate sucked votes from the sitting POTUS, and the complete failure that was Carter. It is not just POTUS, Americans re-elect at a very high rate.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 18th, 2014 at 7:45:34 AM permalink

The comment is not what cost Romney the election. Had it not been for the last-minute Katrina I think he might have won. Romney was of course running against both Obama and the in-the-bag for him media while Obama was running a run-out-the-clock prevent defense. It is very hard to unseat a sitting US POTUS, the only times it has happened in modern history were during a depression, when a 3rd candidate sucked votes from the sitting POTUS, and the complete failure that was Carter. It is not just POTUS, Americans re-elect at a very high rate.

I personally think the Carter failure is an urban myth. If you say it enough people will start believing it. Carter punched through more legislation in one term than Reagan and Clinton did in two terms. Reagan didn't beat Carter. Ted Kennedy beat Carter. Carter got caught in the trap of being a centrist Democrat. In the 1980 Democratic primaries Kennedy hammered on Carter all the way to the convention although he had absolutey no chance of wresting the nomination from him. All that bad press did Carter in.

In an interview a few years back Carter said he could have gotten Health Care passed but Ted Kennedy stopped it up just because he simply didn't want Carter to get credit for it.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 7:57:02 AM permalink

I personally think the Carter failure is an urban myth. If you say it enough people will start believing it. Carter punched through more legislation in one term than Reagan and Clinton did in two terms. Reagan didn't beat Carter. Ted Kennedy beat Carter. Carter got caught in the trap of being a centrist Democrat. In the 1980 Democratic primaries Kennedy hammered on Carter all the way to the convention although he had absolutey no chance of wresting the nomination from him. All that bad press did Carter in.

Oh, my, you must have me confused with a college freshman who does not know what times were like under Carter!

I'm not sure where you come from but where I come from "getting legislation passed" is not a measure of success. Carter presided over record inflation, a falling economy, and the attack on our embassy in Iran and the following hostage situation. Not to mention gas lines and an energy shortage. During all of this he showed no leadership and the morale of the country thus sunk.

Put another way, he got "bad press" because times were terrible.

Quote:

In an interview a few years back Carter said he could have gotten Health Care passed but Ted Kennedy stopped it up just because he simply didn't want Carter to get credit for it.

I never thought I would be grateful for something Ted Kennedy did but I guess I was mistaken.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 8:09:43 AM permalink

Oh, my, you must have me confused with a college freshman who does not know what times were like under Carter!

I'm not sure where you come from but where I come from "getting legislation passed" is not a measure of success. Carter presided over record inflation, a falling economy, and the attack on our embassy in Iran and the following hostage situation. Not to mention gas lines and an energy shortage. During all of this he showed no leadership and the morale of the country thus sunk.

Put another way, he got "bad press" because times were terrible.

I'll take the gas lines, inflation, falling economy, any day over a needless war in Iraq that cost a trillion dollars and thousands of American lives. And we are still living with the repercussions of Bush's mistake, vis a vie, ISIS.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 8:13:56 AM permalink

I'll take the gas lines, inflation, falling economy, any day over a needless war in Iraq that cost a trillion dollars and thousands of American lives. And we are still living with the repercussions of Bush's mistake, vis a vie, ISIS.

I thought we were talking about Carter?

ISIS was around when Bush was in office? Funny, seems they popped up when Obama pulled out.

Of course, Saddam never caused problems in Iraq! *facepalm*
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 8:21:12 AM permalink

Carter presided over record inflation, a falling economy, and the attack on our embassy in Iran and the following hostage situation.

Oh, yes. The Iranian hostage crisis. Well, Reagan sure showed Carter how a President should put his foot down. When those hundreds of marines were bombed and killed in Lebanon Reagan turned tail and ran. He closed up shop and left letting them get away with it.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 8:23:36 AM permalink

I thought we were talking about Carter?

ISIS was around when Bush was in office? Funny, seems they popped up when Obama pulled out.

Of course, Saddam never caused problems in Iraq! *facepalm*

It was Bush's war that created the vacuum for ISIS to exist.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 8:31:15 AM permalink

It was Bush's war that created the vacuum for ISIS to exist.

Don't you mean Saddam's war, the one he started in 1990 and we were still enforcing the peace accord of?

Oh, yes. The Iranian hostage crisis. Well, Reagan sure showed Carter how a President should put his foot down. When those hundreds of marines were bombed and killed in Lebanon Reagan turned tail and ran. He closed up shop and left letting them get away with it.

Now I am confused, so you are saying you would have preferred Reagan to have invaded and occupied Lebanon yet you are anti-war when it came to a dictator that attacked our allies, threatened our economy, and tried to assassinate a former POTUS?
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 8:42:54 AM permalink

Now I am confused, so you are saying you would have preferred Reagan to have invaded and occupied Lebanon yet you are anti-war when it came to a dictator that attacked our allies, threatened our economy, and tried to assassinate a former POTUS?

No, I was just pointing out Reagan's hypocrisy. He heavily criticized Carter for not being more forceful in the Iranian Hostage Crisis. But when it was his turn in the barrel, Reagan wasn't all that crazy about getting in a war over there either.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 8:53:00 AM permalink

No, I was just pointing out Reagan's hypocrisy. He heavily criticized Carter for not being more forceful in the Iranian Hostage Crisis. But when it was his turn in the barrel, Reagan wasn't all that crazy about getting in a war over there either.

Carter handled the hostage thing about as terrible as could be, just face that fact. Reagan understood what a disaster Lebanon was becoming so decided to cut his losses and a week later recovered confidence by ejecting Cuba from Grenada. Reagan was a strong leader, Carter was not.
aladyat42
aladyat42
  • Threads: 1
December 18th, 2014 at 9:38:30 AM permalink
Reagan had the n
Most corrupt administration ever.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 9:49:24 AM permalink

Carter handled the hostage thing about as terrible as could be, just face that fact. Reagan understood what a disaster Lebanon was becoming so decided to cut his losses and a week later recovered confidence by ejecting Cuba from Grenada. Reagan was a strong leader, Carter was not.

Ah, yes. The Invasion of Grenada. What a great victory! Why, it must have taken at least a few thousand troops to defeat such a formidable enemy. It took a POTUS with nerves of steel to pull that one off.

PS: I'm not anti-war. I'm anti needless war.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 18th, 2014 at 9:59:16 AM permalink
We have Reagan to thank for arming the Mullah's in Iran, from the proceeds from selling cocaine in america. Hence the Iran Contra affair.

I hold him accountable for the healthcare fiasco going on now. If he hadn't unconstitutionally "broke" the air traffic controllers union and put everyone that flew in danger from sub standard controllers, there would be a lot more union workers in country negotiating with their own employers for health care.

By starting the horrible work picture that has now shipped millions and millions of good jobs overseas, he is as responsible as any other POTUS for the demise that is the state of our Nation today.

Just say no Nancy, what an oxymoron. Pushing those lies while importing cocaine. At least give him credit for helping bring the drug lords into power where the credit belongs.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 10:16:12 AM permalink

I hold him accountable for the healthcare fiasco going on now. If he hadn't unconstitutionally "broke" the air traffic controllers union and put everyone that flew in danger from sub standard controllers, there would be a lot more union workers in country negotiating with their own employers for health care.

So because the PATCO employees quit their jobs you somehow blame Reagan for Obamacare? Really?

Quote:

By starting the horrible work picture that has now shipped millions and millions of good jobs overseas, he is as responsible as any other POTUS for the demise that is the state of our Nation today.

I hate to break the news to you, but off-shoring was happening well before Reagan ever came to office. The demise of the modern labor union probably can be traced to 1959 when the USW went on a long strike to feather-bed their work crews when technology was allowing companies to reduce headcount. Due to the strike the USA became a net steel importer for the first time since the 1800s and when the cost savings were realized the rush was on. As a result the USA is a far more competitive nation.

Quote:

Just say no Nancy, what an oxymoron. Pushing those lies while importing cocaine.

Obama had to get his supply form somewhere!
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 18th, 2014 at 10:17:29 AM permalink

See, I predicted you'd blame the media. And now the weather! Weather happens! You tell us time and time again, weather happens!

Romney not only lost, he didn't move the dial. The electoral college didn't shift. The whole election was a colossal failure for the republican party, yet some continue to use the lie of 47% wanting hand outs as to blame for all their ills.

The media and the fact he was a sitting POTUS are indeed factors. I don't deny that. But Romney had many advantages, including a terrible economy, bad handling of foreign affairs and a president seen by many as disengaged. But nope, he proceeded to make elitist statements, that the hardcore support loved (like you see to), but even I know that don't win you any elections.

Terrible offence against a prevent defence. Prevent defence run early normally loses football games (It Prevents you getting the win, the old saw goes amongst college coaches).

Again, you just don't realize that this lumping together of almost half the electorate is hugely damaging.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 10:37:28 AM permalink

See, I predicted you'd blame the media. And now the weather! Weather happens! You tell us time and time again, weather happens!

Yes, it happens. And in this case it gave Obama a chance to "look Presidential" at the last minute. If you look at my statement I am not really "blaming" Sandy, I am stating that it happening when it did allowed Obama to save himself.

Quote:

Romney not only lost, he didn't move the dial. The electoral college didn't shift. The whole election was a colossal failure for the republican party, yet some continue to use the lie of 47% wanting hand outs as to blame for all their ills.

Actually Obama did worse than in 2008 in the EC and popular vote, both very historically unusual.

Quote:

The media and the fact he was a sitting POTUS are indeed factors. I don't deny that. But Romney had many advantages, including a terrible economy, bad handling of foreign affairs and a president seen by many as disengaged. But nope, he proceeded to make elitist statements, that the hardcore support loved (like you see to), but even I know that don't win you any elections.

Obama made just as many elitist statements from bragging about how much money he had to the infamous "You didn't build that!" yet it did not matter. The media has dared not question or vet him from day one. If you want proof, look at the disparate treatment between him and Dan Quayle. Both were run of the mill Senators, yet Obama was treated as a genius and Quayle as an idiot. And you wonder why those of us not in the liberal camp call out the lamestream media for bias?

Terrible offence against a prevent defence. Prevent defence run early normally loses football games (It Prevents you getting the win, the old saw goes amongst college coaches).

Again, you just don't realize that this lumping together of almost half the electorate is hugely damaging.

rxwine
rxwine
December 18th, 2014 at 10:50:41 AM permalink

Both were run of the mill Senators, yet Obama was treated as a genius and Quayle as an idiot.

Um. Dan Quayle

Quote:

•"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."

• "Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."

• "Mars is essentially in the same orbit . . . Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

• "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

• "The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

• "I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

• "One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared.'"

• "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."

• "I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

• "The future will be better tomorrow."

• "We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."

• "People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history."

• "I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

• "We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe."

• "I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican."

• "I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."

• "When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame."

• "Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it."

• "We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

• "For NASA, space is still a high priority."

• "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."

• "[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/quayle.asp#vowBZfDOkcj5HVYp.99
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 10:52:24 AM permalink

We have Reagan to thank for arming the Mullah's in Iran, from the proceeds from selling cocaine in america. Hence the Iran Contra affair.

Just say no Nancy, what an oxymoron. Pushing those lies while importing cocaine. At least give him credit for helping bring the drug lords into power where the credit belongs.

Yes, and it was the deregulation that began under his administration that led to the financial collapse of 2008.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 18th, 2014 at 10:58:06 AM permalink
Greg Palast on Reagan: Killer, coward, conman, good riddance,

http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/Article_8675.shtml

Not to forget trickle down. I gotta run for now.

Oops, had another minute:https://zcomm.org/znetarticle/reagan-and-osama-by-greg-palast/ from the article.

Reagan starts the training of Bin Laden's terror group,"
In November 2001, with my BBC television and Guardian newspaper colleagues, I reported that, during the Reagan presidency, a US embassy official in Saudi Arabia was, in his own words, “repeatedly ordered by high-level State Department officials to issue visas to unqualified applicants.”

Sounds icky but not too notable until you learn the identities of these “applicants.” They claimed to be engineering students who, when queried as to what school they attended, answered they “could not remember.” They didn’t have to. The unlikely “engineers” had little helpers in the Reagan Administration.

After investigation, the career diplomat, attorney Michael Springmann, learned they were, “recruits, rounded up by Osama bin Laden, to [bring to] the United States for terrorist training by the CIA. They would then be returned to Afghanistan to fight against the then-Soviets.”

The Iranian hostages would have gotten out under Carter much earlier if it wasn't for Reagan. The wouldn't release the hostages until IIRC the day they inaugurated RR. The weapons had been waiting in Israel and crossed over either that day or the day after.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 11:25:13 AM permalink

Yes, and it was the deregulation that began under his administration that led to the financial collapse of 2008.

You might want to get your history somewhere besides MSNBC, the banking "deregulation" removing the wall between consumer and investment banking was signed by Bill Clinton.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 11:37:08 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Um. Dan Quayle

So what you are saying is Quayle talks quite a bit smarter than Joe Biden?

Seriously, do you want to go there? Because I will buy you a ticket!

Some gems from Obama:

"R-S-P-E-C-T." --flubbing the spelling of Aretha Franklin's famous song "Respect" while paying tribute to the iconic singer, New York, NY (March 6, 2014)

"Even though most people agree... I'm presenting a fair deal, the fact that they don't take it means that I should somehow do a Jedi mind-meld with these folks and convince them to do what’s right." --mixing up Star Wars and Star Trek references while discussing working with Republicans in Congress (March 1, 2013)

We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." —Cincinnati, OH, Sept. 22, 2011

"We're not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that's fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you've made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you're providing a good product or providing good service. We don’t want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy." —on Wall Street reform, Quincy, Ill., April 29, 2010

"One such translator was an American of Haitian descent, representative of the extraordinary work that our men and women in uniform do all around the world -- Navy Corpse-Man Christian Brossard." –mispronouncing "Corpsman" (the "ps" is silent) during a speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, Washington, D.C., Feb. 5, 2010 (The Corpsman's name is also Christopher, not Christian)

"The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries." --Tampa, Fla., Jan. 28, 2010

"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? It's the Post Office that's always having problems." –attempting to make the case for government-run healthcare, while simultaneously undercutting his own argument, Portsmouth, N.H., Aug. 11, 2009

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly." —commenting on a white police officer's arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. at his home in Cambridge, Mass., at a news conference, July 22, 2009

"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." --in remarks after a health care roundtable with physicians, nurses and health care providers, Washington, D.C., July 20, 2009

"It was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of -- I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing." --confusing German for "Austrian," a language which does not exist, Strasbourg, France, April 6, 2009

"No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something." --making an off-hand joke during an appearance on "The Tonight Show", March 19, 2009 (Obama later called the head of the Special Olympics to apologize)

"I didn't want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any seances." --after saying he had spoken with all the living presidents as he prepared to take office, Washington, D.C., Nov. 7, 2008 (Obama later called Nancy Reagan to apologize)

"I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." -- defending his tax plan to Joe the Plumber, who argued that Obama's policy hurts small-business owners like himself, Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2008

"What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith..." --in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, who jumped in to correct Obama by saying "your Christian faith," which Obama quickly clarified (Watch video clip)

"I'm here with the Girardo family here in St. Louis." --speaking via satellite to the Democratic National Convention, while in Kansas City, Missouri, Aug. 25, 2008

"Let me introduce to you the next President -- the next Vice President of the United States of America, Joe Biden." --slipping up while introducing Joe Biden at their first joint campaign rally, Springfield, Illinois, Aug. 23, 2008

"Just this past week, we passed out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee -- which is my committee -- a bill to call for divestment from Iran as way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don't obtain a nuclear weapon." --referring to a committee he is not on, Sderot, Israel, July 23, 2008

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change." --Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008

"How's it going, Sunshine?" --campaigning in Sunrise, Florida

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

"Hold on one second, sweetie, we're going to do -- we'll do a press avail." --to a female reporter for ABC's Detroit affiliate who asked about his plan to help American autoworkers (Watch video clip)

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon (Watch video clip)

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" --after being asked a foreign policy question by a reporter while visiting a diner in Pennsylvania

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." --explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, you know, there's a reaction that's been bred in our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society."

"Come on! I just answered, like, eight questions." --exasperated by reporters after a news conference

"You're likeable enough, Hillary." --during a Democratic debate

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 12:12:16 PM permalink

You might want to get your history somewhere besides MSNBC, the banking "deregulation" removing the wall between consumer and investment banking was signed by Bill Clinton.

Reaganomics: Reduce growth in government spending; reduce the federal income tax and capital gains tax; reduce government regulation; tighten the money supply to reduce inflation.
bobsims
bobsims
  • Threads: 9
December 18th, 2014 at 12:22:54 PM permalink

Reaganomics: Reduce growth in government spending; reduce the federal income tax and capital gains tax; reduce government regulation; tighten the money supply to reduce inflation.

The exact opposite of the current, discredited ass-clown in chief.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 12:41:24 PM permalink

1. How is this "deregulation?"
2. How exactly did this cause the Panic of 2008 and why did it take 20 years?
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
December 18th, 2014 at 12:46:05 PM permalink
Well based on this thread one thing is clear: if Hillary gets the nomination the Republicans will shift their platform from subtle racism to overt misogyny.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 12:46:25 PM permalink

1. How is this "deregulation?"
2. How exactly did this cause the Panic of 2008 and why did it take 20 years?

I think the deregulation went to far. And you are right, Clinton is to blame too. It left Wall Street and the banks to police themselves. The fox watching the henhouse. Imagine a football game with no referee's where the players are left to police themselves. How do you think that would work out? It's the same with Wall Street and the banks. I don't have any investments like that. But for those of you who do....don't you want referee's keeping an eye on things.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 1:30:10 PM permalink

I think the deregulation went to far. And you are right, Clinton is to blame too. It left Wall Street and the banks to police themselves. The fox watching the henhouse. Imagine a football game with no referee's where the players are left to police themselves. How do you think that would work out? It's the same with Wall Street and the banks. I don't have any investments like that. But for those of you who do....don't you want referee's keeping an eye on things.

I am not sure what part of banking you are talking about, but any part I worked in was always highly regulated. Most of banking is highly regulated. Wall Street is also highly regulated despite what the image is. Much of the banking problems come about because regulations require bad lending.

What I always saw in banking that causes issues was a "get it done yesterday" mentality. Instead of taking time to properly underwrite investments the push was there to automate everything possible and screw risk management. In the rush to give customers no-fee products appraisals were reduced to "opinions" or even just an online check. I have been told to ignore forged signatures and had supervisors that did not understand when their mortgage would be in second lien position (thank-you oil and gas training!) and they ignored it. Get it done-get it done!

But to say banking is "deregulated" is simplistic.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 1:36:37 PM permalink

I am not sure what part of banking you are talking about, but any part I worked in was always highly regulated. Most of banking is highly regulated. Wall Street is also highly regulated despite what the image is. Much of the banking problems come about because regulations require bad lending.

What I always saw in banking that causes issues was a "get it done yesterday" mentality. Instead of taking time to properly underwrite investments the push was there to automate everything possible and screw risk management. In the rush to give customers no-fee products appraisals were reduced to "opinions" or even just an online check. I have been told to ignore forged signatures and had supervisors that did not understand when their mortgage would be in second lien position (thank-you oil and gas training!) and they ignored it. Get it done-get it done!

But to say banking is "deregulated" is simplistic.

I'll defer to you on the issue. I know something about risk management....but not that kind of risk management.
rxwine
rxwine
December 18th, 2014 at 1:47:54 PM permalink

So what you are saying is Quayle talks quite a bit smarter than Joe Biden?

If it came down to Biden and Quayle, I would bet on Biden.

petroglyph
petroglyph
December 18th, 2014 at 1:49:29 PM permalink

Quote:

So because the PATCO employees quit their jobs you somehow blame Reagan for Obamacare? Really?

Nah, not entirely. IMO, Ocare is just a handout to the insurance and big pharma. Single payer in my mind would be better than this crap. I've said before Ocare signed into law protections for obscene charges for routine medical care/meds.

I have held for sometime the belief that had more workers [not gov.] formed unions and bargained together in smaller groups than nationally, compromises that served everyone better would now be in play. I think all the administrations are guilty of serving they're donors and themselves regardless if it helped the country. The last POTUS that I respected was JFK. And I wonder about him, I don't know why he left the Cubans holding the bag at the bay of pigs.

I think I voted for Ron once IIRC. I got sucked in, but either he or his admin. I blame for costing me and extreme amount of money at the time for their anti-union stance. There is plenty wrong with unions, and I can say that being third generation. Somebody should ask those that have endured their "leaderships" looting of the workers, me starting in '75 when I was initiated.

Quote:

I hate to break the news to you, but off-shoring was happening well before Reagan ever came to office. The demise of the modern labor union probably can be traced to 1959 when the USW went on a long strike to feather-bed their work crews when technology was allowing companies to reduce headcount. Due to the strike the USA became a net steel importer for the first time since the 1800s and when the cost savings were realized the rush was on. As a result the USA is a far more competitive nation.

Who is the USA more competitive with? We can't build an f-16 without importing parts. To me there are more important choices as a nation then the extreme low bid. If that is what is important to us we should outsource congress and the mic.

It's priorities. Mine are people, starting with family and working my way out from that center. Eventually getting to foreign aid, but never to the world police. If the dollars have to be spent [they don't] quit enriching all the Bechtel's and Halliburton's of the world and start looking out for the people that made this country. We do not need to support 800 foreign military bases.

Quote:

Obama had to get his supply form somewhere!

I suppose so, what's wrong with good ole American? I have not one good word to say that I recall about this POTUS, I knew he was a fraud when he was a senator, but that doesn't give Reagan, or any of the Bush syndicate a free pass going all the way back to Prescott Bush trying to get Gen. Smedley Butler to overthrow the US Gov.

I want somebody who is deriving their income for supposedly sticking up for American citizens [workers] to actually do their job. I am well past tired of being lied to by both parties, [like there was actually 2].

Many don't know Reagan was president of the Screen Actors Guild. He was an actor first and foremost, it is all an act. It was said if a movie was going to be made of Reagans presidency they would have to hire politicians to play the actors.

They are all crooks and I believe you know it too.
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 18th, 2014 at 2:08:17 PM permalink

Ultimate works with no referees. I am sure if it got take too seriously it my devolve...
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 18th, 2014 at 2:10:34 PM permalink

Nah, not entirely. IMO, Ocare is just a handout to the insurance and big pharma. Single payer in my mind would be better than this crap. I've said before Ocare signed into law protections for obscene charges for routine medical care/meds.

A borked system some how got re-written into an even more broken system, where oligarchs got even more control of the pie. Very corporatist (and not very socialist).
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 2:29:48 PM permalink

If it came down to Biden and Quayle, I would bet on Biden.

And I would take Sarah Palin over Obama!

Seriously, you do NOT want to keep going there.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 2:35:57 PM permalink

I have held for sometime the belief that had more workers [not gov.] formed unions and bargained together in smaller groups than nationally, compromises that served everyone better would now be in play.

I still do not get how unions bargaining for someone else to pay their insurance premiums is supposed to lower the costs of health care. If anything it would cost more as people would have no incentive to use less health care. The health insurance costs of the UAW for example helped kill the auto industry by 2008.
rxwine
rxwine
December 18th, 2014 at 2:36:34 PM permalink

And I would take Sarah Palin over Obama!

For cooking your dinner? Well yeah, of course.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 18th, 2014 at 2:40:13 PM permalink

For cooking your dinner? Well yeah, of course.

I would take her over Obama for cooking me dinner to anything more complicated than ordering lunch. Actually I would not even let Obama order lunch as Michelle may have input.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 18th, 2014 at 2:58:05 PM permalink

A borked system some how got re-written into an even more broken system, where oligarchs got even more control of the pie. Very corporatist (and not very socialist).

K.M.'s manifesto was just another wealth extraction method, Lenin the errand boy, and Stalin the muscle.

I shudder every time someone says how stupid "they" are. They being, POTUS or AG, or SCOTUS etc. or some other hapless fool who thanks to a revolving door policy just happen to be the recipient of a 6 or 8 figure salary. What is happening is not an accident.

Nothing happens in DC by accident. [Or city of London, Peking, Moscow] The fact that people believe so, is what keeps "them" in power. It's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Game_" being played out before our eyes. It just happens at glacial speed and the pawns don't realize it, and besides, they are just too busy.

What did Obama ever do that warranted being elected from a junior senator to POTUS that was worth l00's of millions of dollars from wealthy contributors? And how did those donors make their money back, with interest?

All the promises he made during his '07 run like reeling in the big banks, getting us out of Afghanistan, closing Gitmo, etc, etc., have not been even attempted, Carlin was right. "Its a big game and you ain't in it". Serfs just refuse to realize they're part in this. The only reason there are two parties is to give the illusion that you have a choice. [not you, you]

He never "did" anything, no experience, never had a job. Sure people were just sick of Bush [and rightfully so], but that didn't place O as the #1 candidate. There are plenty of people of all colors that have achieved way more than this guy.

The game is rigged.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 18th, 2014 at 3:41:31 PM permalink

I still do not get how unions bargaining for someone else to pay their insurance premiums is supposed to lower the costs of health care. If anything it would cost more as people would have no incentive to use less health care.

Its not about more or less.
Its about cheap early detection instead of expensive surgery later on.
Its about a cheap early DR visit instead of waiting for the late expensive emergency room visit.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
  • Jump to: