Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 149
May 20th, 2019 at 1:52:40 PM permalink
I've had really good lobster ravioli and very mediocre ones as well. If it's something v you think you'd like, try some more.
billryan
billryan
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
May 20th, 2019 at 1:56:36 PM permalink
I discovered a great pizza place on the west side of town. Annemarie's, on Hulipi just off Tropicana. Authentic NY Italian food served in enormous amounts. Not a fancy place, but it seats about 60 and has a bar. Didn't notice if it had gaming.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
May 20th, 2019 at 2:09:36 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

We had some Italian neighbors who had the whole baked clams thing down to a t. Most of my family were into steamers but baked is the only way I go. I've never found clams seasoned the way they did. Theirs were more garlicky than the usual fare.

The only reason to put garlic on something as mild as clams or fish, is because it is old and the chef is trying to cover that up. imo

Put garlic on fresh seafood, and you can't taste the fish.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
May 20th, 2019 at 2:11:44 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

You say that like it's a bad thing. The whole reason I prefer swordfish is that it is basically a white steak.
BlackjackPro.......RIP
petroglyph
petroglyph
Thanks for this post from:
MaxPen
May 20th, 2019 at 2:32:26 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

You say that like it's a bad thing. The whole reason I prefer swordfish is that it is basically a white steak.

Funny, living in Ak and almost unlimited access to different species of fish, it's funny to see people down below go ga ga over halibut. After raising a family on it, feeding the family hundreds of pounds per year, I find halibut to be just tasteless white protein. Like you say, that's not bad, but the halibut folks remember as being delicious is because of whatever the cook added to it.
I've eaten enough fish to where I prefer the kinds that have flavor of their own, like cods, perch, greenling, or yelloweye for saltwater whitefish. It's always best fresh. Halibut will hold some flavor for a few days. After that it's pretty bland. imo

The trick to get kids to eat a whole lot of fish yearly, is to make it taste like anything but fish. One trick employed is to disguise salmon with ketchup, mustard, mayo and hard boiled eggs, bits of pickle, spread it on bread an tell them they are eating tuna.

I agree with you about the swordfish, pretty boring.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 20th, 2019 at 2:41:54 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Face, you literally mad me LOL! This perfectly describes the last time I went clamming (maybe 15 years or so ago). It's all fun and games until you actually eat the clams!

This makes me glad =)

You are messing with the wrong kind of clams. Steamers are good, but razors....ahhh, the kind. Big fat razor, milking, would get you to put down that blunt and try to eat your weight in double crackered, pan fried clams.

What are you trying to chew out that way, some big old horse clams, or pink necks? Not geoducks?

No clue. Some sort of elliptio, but I'm not learned in mollusks.

I refuse to believe these things can ever be appetizing. Oysters, squid, mussels, clams, octo, every one is like a very soft rubber that tastes like what you prepared it in. I give you hot sauce on a deep fried Mister Twister™ and I dare you to tell me the difference.

They're not exactly gross ('cept when eaten still alive), but let's not pretend this is above picking grubs out of logs =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
petroglyph
petroglyph
May 20th, 2019 at 2:53:49 PM permalink
Quote: Face

This makes me glad =)

No clue. Some sort of elliptio, but I'm not learned in mollusks.

I refuse to believe these things can ever be appetizing. Oysters, squid, mussels, clams, octo, every one is like a very soft rubber that tastes like what you prepared it in....

That's what I thought, you aren't doing it right : ] Why are you chewing soft rubber in the first place?

There are people that think venison tastes gamey? All in how it's taken care of.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
May 20th, 2019 at 3:31:09 PM permalink
without clams there would be no clam chowder - which can be divine

for some of the best [when in Maine] it's the Maine Diner in Wells [good lobster rolls too]

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 23
May 20th, 2019 at 3:37:15 PM permalink

Funny, living in Ak and almost unlimited access to different species of fish, it's funny to see people down below go ga ga over halibut. After raising a family on it, feeding the family hundreds of pounds per year, I find halibut to be just tasteless white protein. Like you say, that's not bad, but the halibut folks remember as being delicious is because of whatever the cook added to it.
I've eaten enough fish to where I prefer the kinds that have flavor of their own, like cods, perch, greenling, or yelloweye for saltwater whitefish. It's always best fresh. Halibut will hold some flavor for a few days. After that it's pretty bland. imo

The trick to get kids to eat a whole lot of fish yearly, is to make it taste like anything but fish. One trick employed is to disguise salmon with ketchup, mustard, mayo and hard boiled eggs, bits of pickle, spread it on bread an tell them they are eating tuna.

I agree with you about the swordfish, pretty boring.

I just tried fried perch pretty recently in Mich. Definitely some of the best fish I've had.
billryan
billryan
May 20th, 2019 at 3:43:18 PM permalink

The only reason to put garlic on something as mild as clams or fish, is because it is old and the chef is trying to cover that up. imo

You say that as if its a bad thing. Seafood is a delivery system for the tartar sauce. We'd harvest the clams ourselves, usually the day before. You just had to walk around the shallows barefoot with your toes feeling for them.

• Jump to: