Thread Rating:

Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux 
  • Threads: 30
September 26th, 2016 at 3:42:33 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Jose Fernandez killed in a boating accident. Wtf is a ball player doing speeding through the ocean on a boat at 3am during the season. I know they have livea too but seriously this is horrible judgement. As they say, nothing good happens after 2 am

I was pretty bummed about this. Probably the best non-Kershaw pitcher and a hall of famer if he stayed healthy and alive.

"Horrible judgement" is a yuge overstatement, unless he was wasted. You can't go boating at night? What's the difference between 10pm and 3am? I hope you were out past 3am at times when you were 24.

Pitchers get plenty of time off. He was doing his job exceedingly well. As Axel said, he probably took some friends and some girls out to have fun.

I know. 24 year old, famous millionaires should spend all their time at home watching the weather channel.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 26th, 2016 at 3:54:38 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I was pretty bummed about this. Probably the best non-Kershaw pitcher and a hall of famer if he stayed healthy and alive.

"Horrible judgement" is a yuge overstatement, unless he was wasted. You can't go boating at night? What's the difference between 10pm and 3am? I hope you were out past 3am at times when you were 24.

Pitchers get plenty of time off. He was doing his job exceedingly well. As Axel said, he probably took some friends and some girls out to have fun.

I know. 24 year old, famous millionaires should spend all their time at home watching the weather channel.

I don think it is good judgement for anyone to cruise at 60mph on the ocean at 3am.

Sure things happen and I am not a boater but don't boats like this have some kind of sonar that wold have shown the big stack of rocks that they ran into.

I feel bad for the families of the other 2 in the boat. Headlines are like Jose is dead, btw 2 others are too.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 26th, 2016 at 7:36:50 AM permalink

I was just surprised because they had game scheduled the next day and he was supposed to be at the ballpark at 11am. Like you said, I think every young person has probably stayed out too late on a work night. I don't know why us older people think the younger people should be any different than we were.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
September 26th, 2016 at 7:44:40 AM permalink
I've been feeling cursed lately. Negative variance/bad luck whatever. I ordered my first Arnold Palmer on Saturday. The waitress was like "what's that?" I said "I don't even know it just sounds fancy. He was a famous golfer." Next day the guy passes. Coincidence I know but thought it was worth sharing.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 26th, 2016 at 8:03:23 AM permalink
I'd heard this one before, and cannot confirm it actually happened.

Here is one version of the story .
"What, me worry?"
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 26th, 2016 at 11:24:32 AM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

I've been feeling cursed lately. Negative variance/bad luck whatever. I ordered my first Arnold Palmer on Saturday. The waitress was like "what's that?" I said "I don't even know it just sounds fancy. He was a famous golfer." Next day the guy passes. Coincidence I know but thought it was worth sharing.

You killed Arnold Palmer.
I am a robot.
rxwine
rxwine
September 26th, 2016 at 12:48:43 PM permalink
I heard the report this morning. New detail in this headline.

Quote:

'Disgruntled' Houston lawyer wearing Nazi uniform opens fire at strip mall; nine injured, suspect shot dead by police

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux 
  • Threads: 30
September 26th, 2016 at 1:13:29 PM permalink

I don think it is good judgement for anyone to cruise at 60mph on the ocean at 3am.

Sure things happen and I am not a boater but don't boats like this have some kind of sonar that wold have shown the big stack of rocks that they ran into.

I feel bad for the families of the other 2 in the boat. Headlines are like Jose is dead, btw 2 others are too.

Probably not the best decision. I have no idea what the actual risk is. Is it more dangerous than playing with your radio while driving? Eating an egg salad sandwich that's been out for a couple hours? Climbing a challenging mountain? I have a feeling most of us have made many worse decisions in life. I certainly have.

I don't know that we can assume Jose Fernandez was the only one on the boat who wanted to do it and everyone else was opposed to it.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 26th, 2016 at 1:42:17 PM permalink

I have no idea what the actual risk is.

I assume you mean "if you are not wasted" as you said before.

I have to think they were blasted. This is a type of horror story that I have heard many times, seems like even more than drunk driving disaster ones [that I hear]. Versions include:

*dead sober but a drunk boater slices through their boat PT 109 style, fatalities ..........

*just don't know what the hell they are doing, brand new boat, and run aground hard going into too shallow area, with rocks................... injuries and no more boat

*drunk and crash into land, fatalities ................ [basically what seems to have happened this time]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
September 26th, 2016 at 1:58:34 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I was just surprised because they had game scheduled the next day and he was supposed to be at the ballpark at 11am. Like you said, I think every young person has probably stayed out too late on a work night. I don't know why us older people think the younger people should be any different than we were.

The day before this accident Miami had announced that his next start had been pushed back to Monday (today @7:10pm) vs. the Mets, instead of Sunday vs. the Braves, due to the return of another pitcher to their starting rotation. This did result in him suddenly having an extra previously unexpected off day.

It is the sort of thing that would be an obscure little announcement for someone else somewhere else, but something that south Florida people buying tickets for Marlins games DO follow (attendance & TV ratings soared for games he was expected to start). As well as by those who might bet a centavo or two on baseball now and then. And at this late September date cursed by the most attentive New York baseball fans who were feeling screwed by the Miami pitching schedule change as they're in a race where a single game matters a helluva lot now, while Miami is really not for all practical purposes.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 26th, 2016 at 2:05:33 PM permalink
I understand from news reports that Fernandez was going fishing with some buddies. It makes sense to be out early. It doesn't make sense to be going so fast. Sad.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 26th, 2016 at 2:08:06 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I heard the report this morning. New detail in this headline.

Quote:

Quote:

'Disgruntled' Houston lawyer wearing Nazi uniform opens fire at strip mall; nine injured, suspect shot dead by police

Looks like we'll be one commenter short in the election 2016 thread.
I am a robot.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 26th, 2016 at 2:16:34 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

According to mythbusting research site Snopes.com it didn't happen. However Snopes has an interesting history on the legend, that goes back to the wife of Sam Snead in the mid 1950's...
DRich
DRich
September 26th, 2016 at 3:48:52 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

The day before this accident Miami had announced that his next start had been pushed back to Monday (today @7:10pm) vs. the Mets, instead of Sunday vs. the Braves, due to the return of another pitcher to their starting rotation. This did result in him suddenly having an extra previously unexpected off day.

I really doubt he was given the day off, he just wasn't the starting pitcher. Generally pitchers have to show even if they are not expected to play.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 26th, 2016 at 4:05:05 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

According to mythbusting research site Snopes.com it didn't happen. However Snopes has an interesting history on the legend, that goes back to the wife of Sam Snead in the mid 1950's...

I'm going to disagree with snopes on this; it did happen, and Johnny ' s response was, "That'd make your putter flutter. " My folks saw it and talked about it in front of us.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
September 26th, 2016 at 4:22:43 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I really doubt he was given the day off, he just wasn't the starting pitcher. Generally pitchers have to show even if they are not expected to play.

Yes they show, and they have work to do on their off days between starts. But it was an off day as a pitcher in the starting rotation, which is very different than the other days, and different than other players who may not be in the starting lineup at other positions. It matters.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 26th, 2016 at 4:32:16 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I'm going to disagree with snopes on this; it did happen, and Johnny ' s response was, "That'd make your putter flutter. " My folks saw it and talked about it in front of us.

The biggest hole in the story is that there is no good answer to the question, "Why would Mrs. Arnold Palmer be on stage with her husband and Johnny Carson?" When asked about the origin of the myth, Arnold Palmer, during an appearance on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, made it clear that the legend started when Johnny Carson told a joke with the "flutter" punchline, and that his wife never actually said anything.

Snopes claims to have independently confirmed that his wife never appeared on the Tonight Show. I'll go with them on this.
DRich
DRich
September 26th, 2016 at 5:07:20 PM permalink

I have heard that and really doubt if it is true. If it was true we would be able to find archived clips of it. or at least some confirmation.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 26th, 2016 at 5:21:02 PM permalink

The biggest hole in the story is that there is no good answer to the question, "Why would Mrs. Arnold Palmer be on stage with her husband and Johnny Carson?" When asked about the origin of the myth, Arnold Palmer, during an appearance on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, made it clear that the legend started when Johnny Carson told a joke with the "flutter" punchline, and that his wife never actually said anything.

Snopes claims to have independently confirmed that his wife never appeared on the Tonight Show. I'll go with them on this.

It was my understanding that she wasn't there, but I don't know about that part and didn't want to dispute it here. It was just the two of them talking, and Arnold told Johnny that his wife kisses his balls for good luck.
GWAE
GWAE
September 26th, 2016 at 5:25:30 PM permalink
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/FOLKLORE/2000-07/0963269106
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rxwine
rxwine
September 26th, 2016 at 6:45:16 PM permalink

Seems like he might of been upset about something. If so, driving fast and blowing off steam went really badly.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/fernandezs-friend-sent-ominous-text-prior-to-crash/ar-BBwF3Xa?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
GWAE
GWAE
September 27th, 2016 at 2:52:41 AM permalink
Maybe the baby is not his?
MrV
MrV
September 27th, 2016 at 8:54:35 PM permalink
Just WOW.

Unbelievable maximum break.
"What, me worry?"
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 28th, 2016 at 4:15:42 AM permalink

Just WOW.

Unbelievable maximum break.

1:24 was pretty nice.
GWAE
GWAE
September 28th, 2016 at 10:37:56 AM permalink
I have known who Amy Schumer was but never really heard her stand up. I gotta say she is now one of my favorites. I have been watching a show called Funny as Hell. She has been ona few episodes and all of them are funny as hell.
RS
RS
September 28th, 2016 at 12:39:27 PM permalink

I have known who Amy Schumer was but never really heard her stand up. I gotta say she is now one of my favorites. I have been watching a show called Funny as Hell. She has been ona few episodes and all of them are funny as hell.

Of course they are all funny as hell, that's the name of the show. That's like saying, "I know the Najjar family, they are all Najjar."

I'm being politically correct 'n all, using a Syrian[?] last name instead of a typical anti-feminism-cisgender-white-privilege-racist last name like "Johnson" or "Jackson" or "Smith".
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 28th, 2016 at 12:45:10 PM permalink
Female whore jokes aren't that funny, so not into Schumer. I've started watching Two Broke Girls and cringe every time Max makes those jokes and hearing their loud jewelry.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
September 28th, 2016 at 1:46:06 PM permalink
I find Schumer really hot as well. There was an episode that she had a sun dress on. Very hot (to me anyways)
RS
RS
September 28th, 2016 at 1:47:50 PM permalink
Yeah, I sorta agree with you there GWAE. Idk about really hot....but I'd say more hot than most people say, IMO.

For those who care (I care), I have a Wendy's super double bacon something or another burger in my fridge and I'm one hungry puppy.
GWAE
GWAE
September 28th, 2016 at 1:51:29 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Yeah, I sorta agree with you there GWAE. Idk about really hot....but I'd say more hot than most people say, IMO.

For those who care (I care), I have a Wendy's super double bacon something or another burger in my fridge and I'm one hungry puppy.

Yeah maybe not really hot, but definetely a I need to violate her hot. Just like Reese witherspoon, kirsten dunst, and drew berrymoore.

I guess the 4 of them are all similar in looks so I guess that is just my type.
GWAE
GWAE
September 28th, 2016 at 1:53:07 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Female whore jokes aren't that funny, so not into Schumer. I've started watching Two Broke Girls and cringe every time Max makes those jokes and hearing their loud jewelry.

I didn't realize that her style was basically all whore, slut, and sex jokes. After listening to her for about 3 hours today it got pretty old. However any stand up for that long probably gets old.

Got my list of bert kreistler for tomorrow.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
September 28th, 2016 at 2:27:29 PM permalink

I find Schumer really hot as well. There was an episode that she had a sun dress on. Very hot (to me anyways)

She doesn't do it for me at all.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
rxwine
rxwine
September 28th, 2016 at 5:11:18 PM permalink

I didn't realize that her style was basically all whore, slut, and sex jokes. After listening to her for about 3 hours today it got pretty old. However any stand up for that long probably gets old.

Dirtier than Red Foxx? (link provided NSFW)

https://youtu.be/qVs8yr-1ZIY?t=256
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 28th, 2016 at 5:58:40 PM permalink

Dirtier than Red Foxx? (link provided NSFW)

https://youtu.be/qVs8yr-1ZIY?t=256

I heard the only person who worked bluer than Redd.Foxx was Buddy Hackett. My folks saw them both in their time. They thought they were both hysterically funny.
GWAE
GWAE
September 28th, 2016 at 6:20:41 PM permalink
One of the acts that I heard today talked about how Google is ruining our life. It was funny and so true.

Basically it was about, if you are talking to someone and you have a question about the subject. Back in the day we would juse keep wondering, ask other people, or go to the library. You might go a week or 2 before getting an answer. Now we pull out our phones, google it, and have the answer immediately. They way it was told was funny.
MrV
MrV
September 28th, 2016 at 6:54:24 PM permalink

I heard the only person who worked bluer than Redd.Foxx was Buddy Hackett. My folks saw them both in their time. They thought they were both hysterically funny.

Harrumph.

All hail the king!

*LENNY BRUCE*

Ah, but as for modern day comics, tough to beat Doug Stanhope for sheer talent.
"What, me worry?"
GWAE
GWAE
September 28th, 2016 at 7:00:35 PM permalink

Harrumph.

All hail the king!

*LENNY BRUCE*

Ah, but as for modern day comics, tough to beat Doug Stanhope for sheer talent.

The reason I got seeso.com was because bert said that Doug released his new special on there only. I wanted to hear it. I was disappointed and really didn't laugh at anything he said.
MrV
MrV
September 28th, 2016 at 7:41:55 PM permalink
Oh well, even fine wine can go sour.
"What, me worry?"
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
September 28th, 2016 at 10:37:10 PM permalink
Sam kinison, Chris Rock, Steven Wright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSRaaNjzSyo
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 28th, 2016 at 10:41:36 PM permalink
Andrew Dice Clay
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
September 28th, 2016 at 11:03:08 PM permalink
Romes
RS
RS
September 29th, 2016 at 7:10:42 AM permalink
Not sure why I just thought of this, but I think it was kinda funny.

In middle school, we had to take a Latin class (actually, 2 classes/courses in Latin). Teacher was super cool and also very smart (he taught Latin, FFS). Anyway, a policy of his was to put all the graded quizzes and tests on a bulletin board so that he wouldn't have to spend time handing them back to the all the students. If you got a D or an F on the quiz/test, he'd hand it back to you (face down). Alternatively, if you didn't want your quiz/test to be on the bulletin board, you could circle your name on the quiz/test to indicate you just wanted it to be handed back to you.

Some quizzes were easy, others were hard. And you could tell by how many people (and WHICH people) had to walk to the bulletin board to grab their test/quiz. Of course, the dumbf*** kids usually got their quizzes handed back to them, face down.

I was one of those kids who always had their quiz/test handed back to them, except the first few of the semester. Near the end of the semester, one of the kids said some stupid comment about how I've failed every test since I always get them handed back to me and mine are never on the bulletin board. The teacher perked up immediately and said something like, "Actually, RS scored 30 something % higher than you, I think he's just too lazy to walk to the bulletin board so he circles his name so I just hand it back to him." Turns out lots of the kids were getting C's and low B's on most of the quizzes and tests. I just figured everyone else was also getting 95%+ on all the tests and quizzes.....lol
RS
RS
September 29th, 2016 at 7:43:49 AM permalink
Educational video:

DrawingDead
DrawingDead
September 29th, 2016 at 8:52:13 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Educational video:

But, why? That goofball probably makes his own soap, eats tofurkey for Thanksgiving, captures & releases houseflies instead of swatting them, and cried himself to sleep later over all the pain he caused to so many poor little blades of grass. Halfway in I was rooting for him to cut off his foot with that thing.
RS
RS
September 29th, 2016 at 8:58:29 AM permalink
No need to hate on Abraham Lincoln.
rxwine
rxwine
September 29th, 2016 at 12:19:54 PM permalink
Anyone remember the name of the 50s replica diner restaurant which used to be on the 2nd floor of Sam's Town?
GWAE
GWAE
September 29th, 2016 at 2:29:37 PM permalink

I've been trying to figure out which Vegas eatery I used as a password for an AT-T account. I've gone through many already.

Who knew, I'd just up and forget which one I picked.

Can't you just call and have it reset
rxwine
rxwine
September 29th, 2016 at 5:54:11 PM permalink

Can't you just call and have it reset

What? That's too easy. It's not so much a difficult problem except when my service goes down they keep asking me for that password. Then after I fail they use alternative verification.
GWAE
GWAE
September 29th, 2016 at 6:21:31 PM permalink
Wife watches Dallas cheerleaders making the team. She will point out the bodies of some of them. I giggle and agree.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
September 29th, 2016 at 9:00:41 PM permalink

Wife watches Dallas cheerleaders making the team. She will point out the bodies of some of them. I giggle and agree.

Where do you "watch Dallas cheerleaders making the team?" A "sports" channel program?

Better yet, where do you see them exiting live after not making the team? The poor young ladies who were aspiring to be football cheerleaders may be in need of some compassionate emotional support at a time like that. Knew a guy who had the Las Vegas Hooters interviews/auditions scoped out that way, and his description was like bringing a net for going fishing at a supermarket counter. Not that I'd be that way at all; I just imagine being helpful if needed, mind you.
  • Jump to: