Thread Rating:

ernestmiddle
ernestmiddle
  • Threads: 2
April 28th, 2016 at 10:00:09 AM permalink
By knocking down all 10 pins with one ball three times in a row.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
April 28th, 2016 at 10:02:23 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Not possible.

For an amateur trying to maximize his score, I would say it's about "18 yo's in a row" possible. For a pro trying to throw 9 strikes in a game while minimizing his score, I would say it is about "1 yo in a row" possible. Under very favorable lane conditions, probably about a coin-flip.

Miplet's scoresheet shows what it would look like.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 28th, 2016 at 10:15:20 AM permalink
Quote: miplet

Frame12345678910
Pinsxx0xx0xx0xxx
Score20100201002010030

I guess I am mistaken. I was always under the assumption that the tenth frame was only considered one strike because a strike gets 10 points plus the next two balls. Obviously only the first ball in the tenth gets two additional balls.

If I am not mistaken, you are in the Midwest so I will defer to you.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
April 28th, 2016 at 10:19:27 AM permalink
I last bowled in March, I score 100.
Frame12345678910
Pins6 33 4x8 1x3 36 29 -8 -5 4
Score971991668989

With the bumpers up of course. My brother, who is blind, scored 111.
Frame12345678910
Pins7 2x3 57 -9 -7 /9 -4 -7 /9 -
Score9188791994199
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 28th, 2016 at 10:26:08 AM permalink
Quote: RS

How do you get 3 strikes on the 10'th frame?

Nothing like a 300 perfect game in your home state in an arena.

https://youtu.be/u1hylGRTPZg
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 28th, 2016 at 10:57:18 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

I don't bowl either, was just messin' wid ya. 40 years or so ago, actually closer to 50, I bowled every Sunday night at the only all night bowling place in the city of Atlanta. Everyone else but me had just shut down their pizza parlors, Gigi's Pizza it was, and we went bowling. We got there 'bout midnight, bowled for awhile, and then went to (damn, trying to remember here), we went to (jhit still can't remember), actually remembered while typing. Remembered just between the last 'we went to' and the (jhit I can't remember), we went to the Magestic. There we ate breakfast. The whole night wasn't really 'bout the bowling, was about a larger thing. I miss those days sometimes.
I have been bowling with my sons more than a few times in just the last few years. Just daddy thing. I still can bowl 200+, or 100-, the years haven't changed a thing, in terms of the score, I tried not to mention the 'scoring', some dem gals still send me email ;-!

Seems like you and Tom got more in common than just feathers?

Told you we could talk Turkey.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
April 28th, 2016 at 11:02:33 AM permalink
Oh sh**, I forgot you could throw 3 times in the 10'th frame.....for some reason I was thinking 2. Haven't bowled in a while 0.o
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
April 28th, 2016 at 11:08:15 AM permalink
My high score was 163 my average was 98.
However I'm from New England I was bowling candlepin.I have only bowled ten pin 3 times.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 28th, 2016 at 12:26:02 PM permalink

When you bowl three strikes in a row, why is it called a turkey?

That was the prize you'd be given. A big deal back in the day.

I used to bowl in a league when I was a child, think it ended around age 12. I picked up a ball this last winter for the first time in a decade+. 1st game back was 18X. Came back the next week and banged out a 218.

My childhood average was in the 120s, so not sure where it came from. Guess I'll take a decade off of golf now =p
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
RS
RS
April 28th, 2016 at 12:29:02 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I used to bowl in a league when I was a child, think it ended around age 12. I picked up a ball this last winter for the first time in a decade+. 1st game back was 18X. Came back the next week and banged out a 218.

My childhood average was in the 120s, so not sure where it came from. Guess I'll take a decade off of golf now =p

Why? So you can come back and shoot a 218 in 10 years?

Hmmmm...., on second thought, I guess even a little improvement is better than nothing.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 28th, 2016 at 12:31:44 PM permalink

That is correct, but only during thanksgiving week.

I have bowled for the last 25 years. Current average is 204. I blew out my bicept 2 years ago and learned how to bowl left handed with a 170 average.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Face
Administrator
Face
April 28th, 2016 at 12:42:37 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Why? So you can come back and shoot a 218 in 10 years?

Hmmmm...., on second thought, I guess even a little improvement is better than nothing.

lol'd =)

Quote: GWAE

That is correct, but only during thanksgiving week.

I have bowled for the last 25 years. Current average is 204. I blew out my bicept 2 years ago and learned how to bowl left handed with a 170 average.

I've used a 5 step approach my whole life. This holiday season when I was working 100hrs a week and reffing and playing hockey, I didn't have the gas for it. I started doing a step and a half, basically a slightly advanced "kid approach". 5 strikes in a row. I then faltered because I was just that tired, but I think there might be something there. Perhaps it erased a bunch of variables leading up to the release, making it more consistent. I dunno. But if you're into it, maybe give it a shot on a free night
GWAE
GWAE
April 28th, 2016 at 12:49:23 PM permalink

lol'd =)

I've used a 5 step approach my whole life. This holiday season when I was working 100hrs a week and reffing and playing hockey, I didn't have the gas for it. I started doing a step and a half, basically a slightly advanced "kid approach". 5 strikes in a row. I then faltered because I was just that tired, but I think there might be something there. Perhaps it erased a bunch of variables leading up to the release, making it more consistent. I dunno. But if you're into it, maybe give it a shot on a free night

I throw about 20mph, I don't think I could do so with 2 steps.

However, when the lanes are really dry and I don't have a ball that will handle it I do have a 2 step that I will use. If on the right lane I will stand about a foot in front of the ball return and take a baby step and a big step and have a huge hook. Only problem with it is that line is good for leaving a lot of 10 pins.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
April 28th, 2016 at 2:57:12 PM permalink

Not possible.

I read the post, thought WTF, then read DRich.
Going with DRich.

<edit> maybe the poster was keeping/calculating his own scorecard. Maybe he should stick to bowling....
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 28th, 2016 at 3:15:09 PM permalink

I throw about 20mph, I don't think I could do so with 2 steps.

However, when the lanes are really dry and I don't have a ball that will handle it I do have a 2 step that I will use. If on the right lane I will stand about a foot in front of the ball return and take a baby step and a big step and have a huge hook. Only problem with it is that line is good for leaving a lot of 10 pins.

Whoa, this thread got a little busy while I wasn't watching/reading.
Now I'm not sure where to start.
Maybe just, GWAE should be posting on the charting a table thread....
GWAE
GWAE
April 28th, 2016 at 3:24:42 PM permalink

Whoa, this thread got a little busy while I wasn't watching/reading.
Now I'm not sure where to start.
Maybe just, GWAE should be posting on the charting a table thread....

I am way too lazy to chart s table.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 29th, 2016 at 8:32:50 AM permalink
Read the latest National Geographic, may 2016, this morning. It's all Yellowstone.
Good read, great pics. I love Yellowstone.
I had worried a bit 'bout the mag since the big changeover last year.
Less worried now.
I may keep this one rather than donating to the public library....

<edit> And my Cottenwood tree is putting on its annual show. Looks like it's snowing outside.
Miserable summer heat and humidity is on its way......
GWAE
GWAE
April 30th, 2016 at 5:00:07 AM permalink
A friend of mine went to Japan. She knows I have a love affair for kit kats. She brought me these.

Let me tell you that these had to be the most disgusting pieces of candy I have ever eaten.
RS
RS
April 30th, 2016 at 12:33:38 PM permalink
I was gonna say....those look absolutely disgusting.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 30th, 2016 at 1:09:58 PM permalink

<edit> And my Cottenwood tree is putting on its annual show. Looks like it's snowing outside.

S#$%!!!! The bass run! I gotta get out tomorrow before I miss it ><
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 30th, 2016 at 1:16:32 PM permalink
Secret.

Quote:

Club 33 is a private club located in the heart of the New Orleans Square section of Disneyland. Originally maintained as a secret feature of the theme park

Quote:

To enter Club 33, a guest must press a buzzer on an intercom concealed by a hidden panel in the doorway. (At one time, a member needed to insert his membership card in a slot near the buzzer for entry, but It has now been upgraded to allow entry by simply tapping the membership card over the emblem.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_33
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
April 30th, 2016 at 1:17:22 PM permalink

A friend of mine went to Japan. She knows I have a love affair for kit kats. She brought me these.

Let me tell you that these had to be the most disgusting pieces of candy I have ever eaten.

I was just about to reply before I read that you thought they were disgusting. My sister brought me back the green Kit Kat back from one of her travels. I spit it out it was so bad.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
GWAE
GWAE
April 30th, 2016 at 2:09:28 PM permalink
I can't believe they put beans in chocolate. I had the taste in my mouth for 3 hours.
DRich
DRich
April 30th, 2016 at 3:22:49 PM permalink

I can't believe they put beans in chocolate. I had the taste in my mouth for 3 hours.

Chocolate basically comes from a bean.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 30th, 2016 at 3:38:34 PM permalink

Chocolate basically comes from a bean.

True, but it's a chocolate bean. Cocoa bean. Not a red beans and rice type bean.
1st eat red beans and rice.
Then chocolate Kit-Kat for desert.
Don't mix together at once.....this cannot be a good thing ;--)

Not sure exactly which beverage to recommend with each.
Don't know how well Tequila goes with Kit-Kat.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 30th, 2016 at 3:57:46 PM permalink

May you never find out.

When it comes to the morning after the night before, I find that if I've had Tequila I have to be told what happened after that.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 30th, 2016 at 5:00:40 PM permalink

Don't mix together at once.....this cannot be a good thing ;--)

It is Japanese efficiency .

Quote:

Not sure exactly which beverage to recommend with each.

IIRC, Tequila goes with everything?
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 30th, 2016 at 7:49:47 PM permalink
Green tea is good, not with sakura. Azuki beans are good.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 30th, 2016 at 9:57:51 PM permalink

The next WOV challenge?
(Actually the Wiz did not want another food challenge).

Do these come in durian flavor by any chance?
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
May 1st, 2016 at 4:02:12 AM permalink
A quick search let to 'the 19 Japanese Kit-Kat flavors you have to try'.
I scanned the entries, several looked interesting, most rather dubious.
Suspect I'm just old fashioned.
Give me American Kit-Kat, with a glass of milk.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 1st, 2016 at 4:51:11 AM permalink

American Kit-Kat, with a glass of milk.

Chocolate prevents the absorbtion of calcium and is therefore contraindicated if milk is to be consumed.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
May 1st, 2016 at 5:18:19 AM permalink
Contraindicated is word I'm not sure I ever heard before. Have to pronounce it slowly....
Are you messin' w/me ;-?

Looked it up, valid. May be useful in several of the common thread themes hereabouts....

Nuttin' to do with railroad cars full of convicted felons playing with each other ;-)
Last edited by: TwoFeathersATL on May 1, 2016
GWAE
GWAE
May 1st, 2016 at 8:01:14 AM permalink
I also have the strawberry cheesecake flavor that my wife was holding back on me. It is edible, but not something I would ever buy in a checkout line.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 1st, 2016 at 8:25:32 AM permalink
HELL EXPLAINED
BY A CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University ofArizona chemistry mid term, and an actual answer turned in by a student.

The answer by this student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving, which is unlikely. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. There fore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Sally during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct..... ...leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Sally kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+
"What, me worry?"
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
May 1st, 2016 at 8:35:38 AM permalink
That I like, MrV.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
May 1st, 2016 at 9:34:00 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

the 'toms' get mighty arrogant

most wildlife suffers instead of benefits from being fed by humans, especially if the process acclimates them to humans. It's nonetheless a strong instinct with humans to do this, just observe how delighted kids are when they can feed whatever.

I've tried to tell 2F this before to no avail. *sigh*

Sigh, Odious may have been correct all along.
Snowflake just emerged from the trail that leads down to the creek.
Emerged leading of a flock of turkeys, like Moses leading the Children of Israel into the promised land!
This might get interesting....;-)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 1st, 2016 at 12:16:24 PM permalink

Contraindicated
Nuttin' to do with railroad cars full of convicted felons playing with each other ;-)

No, but you sure do have some interesting insights. You have to forgive me sometimes, when I was in elementary school my vocabulary tested at the college sophomore level.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
May 2nd, 2016 at 6:26:36 AM permalink
Alas! When I was a sophomore in college my vocabulary may have still tested at the elementary school level.
Pls remember all this was in the Deep South....
So you are forgiven.

I started with contradict, and I am very familiar with contradiction, but that wasn't right.
But it threw me off ;-)

Which led to con train dicted, and then con train dic ated, and I gave up, looked up and found;
contra indicated, which solves the puzzle. Made perfect sense when you sort it out properly ;-)

<edit> surprised I didn't go a 'cont addict ed' route, but my mind works in mysterious ways ;-)

<2nd edit> I will try to remember in the future;
Contraindicated = Bad Plan
Come to think of it, these forums may be a bad influence on a simple minded southern Indian/boy ;-)
Last edited by: TwoFeathersATL on May 2, 2016
Samhain
Samhain
  • Threads: 6
May 2nd, 2016 at 8:18:31 AM permalink
Theoretical question. Player is sitting at a VP machine and is DEALT a jackpot (royal, 4oak, whatever) before hitting deal and collecting, some punk from behind "unholds" his jackpot and hits deal which now voids the jackpot all together. What happens to the player? Will the casino review the tape and see that he would've hit the jackpot and pay him? Is there a way for managementt to check the computer in the machine to verify that indeed the player would've had a jackpot had this guy not tampered with it? Maybe no one knows? With all the crazy things that have or could happen in a casino, this had to of happened at least once right? /end random thought
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
May 2nd, 2016 at 8:23:42 AM permalink
Quote: Samhain

Theoretical question. Player is sitting at a VP machine and is DEALT a jackpot (royal, 4oak, whatever) before hitting deal and collecting, some punk from behind "unholds" his jackpot and hits deal which now voids the jackpot all together. What happens to the player? Will the casino review the tape and see that he would've hit the jackpot and pay him? Is there a way for managementt to check the computer in the machine to verify that indeed the player would've had a jackpot had this guy not tampered with it? Maybe no one knows? With all the crazy things that have or could happen in a casino, this had to of happened at least once right? /end random thought

Bad avatar. Wearing garlic now, cross nearby ;-)
Suggest you reach out to Dodsferd for assistance....
GWAE
GWAE
May 2nd, 2016 at 9:03:45 AM permalink
When you are dealt a jackpot it automatically locks up so there is no way to unhold them.

Btw, why does it have to be a jackpot. If I am dealt trips and some a hole unholds them on me, there is gonna be a problem.
DRich
DRich
May 2nd, 2016 at 9:07:39 AM permalink

When you are dealt a jackpot it automatically locks up so there is no way to unhold them.

Btw, why does it have to be a jackpot. If I am dealt trips and some a hole unholds them on me, there is gonna be a problem.

Not true. Most poker games only hold the top jackpot but many jackpots could be dealt and thrown away.

All regulated video poker machines offer the operator the ability to go back and see what hand was dealt as long as they do it before playing 10 or more hands,
Samhain
Samhain
  • Threads: 6
May 2nd, 2016 at 9:09:42 AM permalink

Ah, I didn't realize you couldn't unhold a jackpot. I was just going for worst case scenario where thousands would be on the line, and wondering if the casino would still shell out the cash. But hell yeah there'd be a problem regardless of the amount.
GWAE
GWAE
May 2nd, 2016 at 9:46:18 AM permalink

Not true. Most poker games only hold the top jackpot but many jackpots could be dealt and thrown away.

All regulated video poker machines offer the operator the ability to go back and see what hand was dealt as long as they do it before playing 10 or more hands,

I guess there are always the exceptions. Everything I have ever played held any dealt hand pay. However I have only had 3 handpays dealt that weren't royals so my sample size is small.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 2nd, 2016 at 9:53:41 AM permalink

I guess there are always the exceptions. Everything I have ever played held any dealt hand pay. However I have only had 3 handpays dealt that weren't royals so my sample size is small.

So if you were playing $2 DDB and dealt AAAAK, it would not let you draw for a kicker?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 2nd, 2016 at 10:00:14 AM permalink
BBB is having computer issues. That thread looks fine to me.

Edit, I see some posts near the end did get removed.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 2nd, 2016 at 10:36:52 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

No, but you sure do have some interesting insights. You have to forgive me sometimes, when I was in elementary school my vocabulary tested at the college sophomore level.

No, dear, we don't forgive you. Stay smart and erudite. :)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 2nd, 2016 at 10:37:58 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

BBB is having computer issues. That thread looks fine to me.

Edit, I see some posts near the end did get removed.

Yes, exactly. Re your edit.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
May 2nd, 2016 at 10:59:49 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

So if you were playing $2 DDB and dealt AAAAK, it would not let you draw for a kicker?

Lol at me playing $2
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
May 2nd, 2016 at 1:06:24 PM permalink
I missed something, again, a couple hours ago.
I cannot watch this thing 24/7.
Anyone want to tell me what I missed?
At least tell me it wasn't my fault this time?
Did I break the damn thing again?
Should I hide under the fridge, again?
2F

<edit> Headed for the fridge just as a test of the emergency broadcast system.
Just a test, I hope...?.?
Last edited by: TwoFeathersATL on May 2, 2016
  • Jump to: