Thread Rating:

DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 17th, 2016 at 4:51:17 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Serious question....

...of [ * * * ] light...

This is immoral, and dangerous. Consumption of "Light" or even worse of "Lite" products, whatever the flavor, soon leads down a slippery path of soul-less degradation, eventually to wallowing in the depths of a fatally depraved world inhabited by such things as margarine, and can even descend all the way to the terrible monstrous abomination known as decaf.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 17th, 2016 at 5:11:52 PM permalink
Quote: Face

It's a bad question.

I mean, 6hrs of porchin' on a 70* day, you should already have 12-18 beers in you. This whole thing is borked from the jump ;)

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say that. I figure if I had 12 beers then my 50 hour project would take 120 hours. Quicker I get it rebuilt the quicker I can spend the entire day sitting on it drinking more.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 18th, 2016 at 3:54:24 AM permalink

The question, would it be "healthier" to drink a 16 ounce bottle of pepsi or a 16 punch bottle of bud light.

That is like asking is a Martini healthier if it is shaken or stirred? The answer of course is that a Martini is not healthy at all.

Avoid sugar, avoid sugar substitutes particularly. Avoid beers that have adjectives..they are full of perfumes, detergents, stabilizers, surficants, etc. Drink a real beer... lots of micro brews in town you know!!

Or drink Bilberry Juice, dark cherry juice, or sea buckthorn juice. If you really need the 'fizz' and the opening of a can of beer experience.... buy a can of seltzer water.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 18th, 2016 at 3:59:06 AM permalink
pulp introduces fructose more slowly and lower in the digestive tract and therefore you produce a lesser amount of advanced glycation end-products.
Fructose ain't as good for your liver or pancreas as you might think.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
April 18th, 2016 at 6:06:58 AM permalink

Serious question.

I worked on my porch for about 6 hours today. I busted my ass and are now exhausted. So of course now I sit on the recliner with an ice cold pepsi. The question, would it be "healthier" to drink a 16 ounce bottle of pepsi or a 16 punch bottle of bud light. They are pretty close in calories but I would think pepsi has a ton more sugar.

I'd go with the beer. More natural/unrefined ingredients in beer. Plus, beer as exertion recovery is an actual thing.

Q: How is light beer like making love in a canoe?
They're both f***ing really close to water!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
GWAE
GWAE
April 18th, 2016 at 6:22:02 AM permalink
I might have a beer or 5 today. My muscles are killing me. Back, shoulder, and arms are not happy today. Damn winter making me lazy.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 18th, 2016 at 7:34:02 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

It seems I am "always" working on my rigs as well; that is by choice.

It is satisfying to see tangible results of my labors, which save me a lot of money and lets me know the work was done correctly.

I like older Volvos, and regularly work on and maintain a 244 , a 740, and a 940, all Turbos, as well as assist with the maintenance of my son's 850R and his wife's V70.

When kept up these are great cars.

My dad never lifted a wrench on his cars, so I came late to auto repair and am self-taught; one of my better accomplishments has been to teach my son to work on cars.

I have no mechanical ability and am kind of sad about it, but I wrench on my servers instead (mostly via the keyboard, but sometimes fiddle with the actual hardware too). Also I am capable of maintaining my bicycle at a basic level, but even it that case will pay a bike shop to do serious repairs, like replacing the drivetrain.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 18th, 2016 at 7:39:01 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Tee-Hee-Hee. Turns out if you work at it a little, and you get a little lucky, and you get just the right guy/gal on the phone, the ones that you aren't supposed to be able to reach by phone, weird jhit can happen. I just bought a cruise line on an IOU.

The whole cruise line?! Now that's a comp!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 18th, 2016 at 7:43:03 AM permalink

I might have a beer or 5 today. My muscles are killing me. Back, shoulder, and arms are not happy today. Damn winter making me lazy.

I missed the initial question, but as they are both pretty unhealthy from a caloric/sugar standpoint, at least go the beverage that will let you catch a buzz. Of course, one B- (nickname Bud Light around some of my friends) is not going to catch you a buzz...overall I agree with 2F, a nice jigger of scotch AND a nice beer, that'll get you going. But as unhealthy as 2 Pepsis probably.
GWAE
GWAE
April 18th, 2016 at 8:04:27 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I missed the initial question, but as they are both pretty unhealthy from a caloric/sugar standpoint, at least go the beverage that will let you catch a buzz. Of course, one B- (nickname Bud Light around some of my friends) is not going to catch you a buzz...overall I agree with 2F, a nice jigger of scotch AND a nice beer, that'll get you going. But as unhealthy as 2 Pepsis probably.

Cliff notes, after working outside all day while drinking water and gatorade, what I'd better for you. A beer or pepsi. My thinking was a pepsi has so much sugar that maybe a beer is better. I have an addiction to pepsi so if they are equal maybe a beer is better just to get away from pepsi.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 18th, 2016 at 10:32:15 AM permalink

Try some cider or a Perry.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
April 18th, 2016 at 11:01:21 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Try some cider or a Perry.

OK, a Perry is an alcoholic beverage like hard cider, but made with pears. We put some pears in the apple jelly we put up when I was young, made for a better color. Come to think of it now, maybe it was crabapples instead of pears, it was a long time ago.....
Hopefully in this day and age nothing of consequence EVER gets lost again. That's a good thing.
No more yearning for the "good ole days".
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 18th, 2016 at 12:43:24 PM permalink

Serious question.

I worked on my porch for about 6 hours today. I busted my ass and are now exhausted. So of course now I sit on the recliner with an ice cold pepsi. The question, would it be "healthier" to drink a 16 ounce bottle of pepsi or a 16 punch bottle of bud light.

A serious question deserves a serious answer : }. What would be better than either is a few tokes of some "left handed" and oodles of spring water with a ph higher than 6.6.

You may have to build the deck two or three times but it will be lots of fun. When you are done, and the pain is setting in, and you are about to get grumpy or short with the kiddo's. Fire it up again, and get down on the floor and roll and laugh and cuddle with them, until your belly hurts.

Life ain't about the destination, it's how you get there.

When I would drink, that is all I wanted to do is continue until bedtime. I found that a couple puffs of "my secret weapon" and I got productive and enjoyed doing my boat maintenance. Weed is a tool, and is great for chores. Of course like everything, you need to know when to put it down also.

Diet soda's are a gateway drug to other synthetic garbage and multiple diseases. Back in the day, there were salt tablets in all the first aid kits. No mas. But I have my own. I get headaches and leg cramps when I start to de-hydrate, a tablet or two and those both go away. Remember the people that tell you salt is bad for you don't mention you will die without it, they are also the people that put aspartame in people's drinks, and have ten different names for sugar on our food labels.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 18th, 2016 at 1:39:47 PM permalink
I vote Pepsi.

I think the proper method would have been to "hire a guy" and drink beer the whole time.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 18th, 2016 at 2:22:09 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I vote Pepsi.

I think the proper method would have been to "hire a guy" and drink beer the whole time.

Better yet, vet the company you are going to hire, ask them where they are working right now, you want to go see them in action. Then go, talk to whoever is running the crew, doesn't take long to pick him out, just watch. Then talk to him, tell him to give you a call when there is no work for the crew to do for the company they are now working for. Then give him some of Petroglygh's medicine and a few bucks, doesn't take much of either. Then wait, usually wont take more than a couple weeks. Take the phone call, make the deal. Start work, yeah they might get called off on another job tomorrow, you got to be patient. It will get done, or you just start over if it doesn't work out. Pay cash, only little bits up front. Pay for materials, go with the guy to buy them and keep them on 'your site'. Carry a gun, hidden and licensed, you are working on the darkside after all. Rinse and repeat, might take a couple jobs to get the hang of it and come out ahead. Capitalism is the way to go, no one has come up with a better alternative. 2F
GWAE
GWAE
April 18th, 2016 at 2:58:48 PM permalink

Better yet, vet the company you are going to hire, ask them where they are working right now, you want to go see them in action. Then go, talk to whoever is running the crew, doesn't take long to pick him out, just watch. Then talk to him, tell him to give you a call when there is no work for the crew to do for the company they are now working for. Then give him some of Petroglygh's medicine and a few bucks, doesn't take much of either. Then wait, usually wont take more than a couple weeks. Take the phone call, make the deal. Start work, yeah they might get called off on another job tomorrow, you got to be patient. It will get done, or you just start over if it doesn't work out. Pay cash, only little bits up front. Pay for materials, go with the guy to buy them and keep them on 'your site'. Carry a gun, hidden and licensed, you are working on the darkside after all. Rinse and repeat, might take a couple jobs to get the hang of it and come out ahead. Capitalism is the way to go, no one has come up with a better alternative. 2F

I wish I could pay someone. If we paid someone then it would be 1 project every 18 months. Unless I do 2f method then it may be cheaper. This year I am building a porch and a deck. I have done neither in my life. The porch will cost approx 900 in meterials. I had it quoted with labor at 2700. The deck will cost 1700 in materials and had it quoted at 6 grand. I can do both for less than the quoted porch price. Hell I might even do it better than professionals since I am taking no short cuts.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 18th, 2016 at 4:06:23 PM permalink
Hell, I hope your new deck doesn't fall off the back of your house during the WOV event you stage there. I forgot that date again, when is it ;-)
Just kidding of course, I used to take on some pretty serious manual tasks myself. Most of them came out great and I was proud.

Just ask me 'bout the ditches, tee hee.

You go get-um... Cheers, 2F
GWAE
GWAE
April 18th, 2016 at 4:16:27 PM permalink
I am building it to be self supporting and not attached to the house. It is actually only sitting 3 feet off the ground so even if it fails it would be a fun and safe ride.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 26th, 2016 at 7:51:51 PM permalink
Here's something really cool.

DC eagle cam

Note you have two cameras to choose from.
"What, me worry?"
GWAE
GWAE
April 26th, 2016 at 7:58:15 PM permalink
If you are into those we have one in Pittsburgh to. Actually we have 2 that have been followed for the last few years.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/hays-bald-eagle-cam/
MrV
MrV
April 26th, 2016 at 8:19:44 PM permalink
I'd not heard of eagle cams before.

Great how eagles are returning to our metro areas, even Washington DC.

I see them flying overhead here outside of Portland.

Beautiful.

I wonder: any eagles fly over or roost in Las Vegas?
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 26th, 2016 at 8:20:56 PM permalink
Sloth cam

http://www.liveanimals.tv/wild-animals-zoos/sloth-webcam

Don't blink or you'll miss something.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 26th, 2016 at 8:27:21 PM permalink

...I wonder: any eagles fly over or roost in Las Vegas?

Just Vultures.

And possibly an occasional BUZZARD.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
petroglyph
petroglyph
April 26th, 2016 at 9:03:24 PM permalink

I'd not heard of eagle cams before.

Great how eagles are returning to our metro areas, even Washington DC.

I see them flying overhead here outside of Portland.

Beautiful.

I have seen golden eagles east of there at Page AZ. I also saw bald's up in the Gifford Pinchot forest in the 80's.
GWAE
GWAE
April 27th, 2016 at 2:19:26 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Just Vultures.

Gotta give you credit for that one. That was good.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
April 27th, 2016 at 2:24:27 AM permalink
Are these eagles mounted with go-pros?
RS
RS
April 27th, 2016 at 3:26:34 AM permalink
SON OF A B*****!!!!!!!!!

I was watching the video just now, all happy n sh*t, watching the mama eagle awake n stuff, she's looking around, keeping guard on the babies.

I'm thinking, "Oh hell yeah, this thing is gonna take off soon!!"

So I'm staring at it for like 15 minutes, going back and forth between Cam A and Cam B. I go from B to A, eagle's there, okay cool! I go back to cam B, it freezes, I reload, MOTHER F******'s gone!!!! WHAT THE F***!!!??? This is absurd i'm so mad.

Edit: Mama eagle came back.

edit edit: THERE ARE TWO MAMA EAGLES???? <3

edit x3: ONE JUST TOOK OFF!!!! Yayy
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 27th, 2016 at 3:50:54 AM permalink
I wish they had a Craps Table Camera with an eagle eye view of the action and a voice over Ex-Boxman doing a narrative.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
April 27th, 2016 at 7:26:12 AM permalink
Quote: RS

SON OF A B*****!!!!!!!!!

I was watching the video just now, all happy n sh*t, watching the mama eagle awake n stuff, she's looking around, keeping guard on the babies.

I'm thinking, "Oh hell yeah, this thing is gonna take off soon!!"

So I'm staring at it for like 15 minutes, going back and forth between Cam A and Cam B. I go from B to A, eagle's there, okay cool! I go back to cam B, it freezes, I reload, MOTHER F******'s gone!!!! WHAT THE F***!!!??? This is absurd i'm so mad.

Edit: Mama eagle came back.

edit edit: THERE ARE TWO MAMA EAGLES???? <3

edit x3: ONE JUST TOOK OFF!!!! Yayy

As I was scrolling on my phone, I accidentally flagged this. Ignore it if noticed.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 27th, 2016 at 7:32:40 AM permalink
Yea, me too.
Accidentally flagged RS ;-)
And I love those blood thirsty cannabalistic rascals that we have as our National Symbol,
(Bald Eagle).
I wish I could fly.....
GWAE
GWAE
April 27th, 2016 at 2:04:02 PM permalink
Speaking of the eagles in pittsburgh.
http://eagles.aswp.org/

They put a press release out today that the animal brought into the nest yesterday was a cat. There is outrage because people are offended that an eagle would eat a cat.
petroglyph
petroglyph
April 27th, 2016 at 2:25:48 PM permalink

There is outrage because people are offended that an eagle would eat a cat.

Yeah, eagles aren't known for being pc.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 27th, 2016 at 2:32:24 PM permalink

They are found in all of the contiguous states, even Mexico (No word on HI). They are a fish bird and prefer old growth forests, so while certainly in Nevada, it might be a stretch to see one perched atop the Luxor.

I have several in my area and have found the nest of one. Gotta hand it to the conservationists. 2013 was a record year where I had 9 sightings; I'm already up to 5 for 2016. I know there is one active nest walking distance from my house, I just haven't located its perch yet. They're always an awesome sight while out fishing and never fail to make me laugh. Every time they show up, here come the swallows and sand pipers trying to chase it away. And unlike any other bird of prey / scavenger, the eagle never flinches. No tuck, no dive, no roll, just straight as an arrow.

I always picture it's wearing aviators and returns from a hunt to a giant bag of f#$% that it has never given. It makes me smile =)

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
GWAE
GWAE
April 27th, 2016 at 4:46:04 PM permalink
Last April while in NOLA we were driving down a 2 lane highway. From a few hundred feet away I pointed out what looked like a huge bird sitting on the side of the road in the marshy area. As we approached it took off with the largest wing span I have ever seen and I realized it was an eagle. My wife always has her camera out on trips and this one time she didn't have it out
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
April 27th, 2016 at 10:20:25 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Just Vultures.

Oddly, I'm currently watching an old episode of Family Feud and this particular question was "Name a bird people are most scared of." This was the number one answer...

MrV
MrV
April 27th, 2016 at 11:55:10 PM permalink
Not surprising.

Those birds are always associated with death.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 28th, 2016 at 1:13:06 AM permalink
One time I was about to enter the local grocery story and one of these egrets was in a tiny patch of decorative plants, acting like he was hunting something in the weeds. They really are quite large and tall up close. When he stretches out that neck you are eye to that beady eye. They are usually out in the marsh area of Florida standing in shallow water. He didn't hang out too much longer.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 28th, 2016 at 4:43:02 AM permalink

Speaking of the eagles in pittsburgh.
http://eagles.aswp.org/

They put a press release out today that the animal brought into the nest yesterday was a cat. There is outrage because people are offended that an eagle would eat a cat.

Score:
Eagles eating cat: 1
Cats eating birds: 60,000,000/year (estimated)

Me, I'm cheering for the eagles at this point. Damned cats allowed to run loose.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 28th, 2016 at 5:14:13 AM permalink

people are offended that an eagle would eat a cat.

these same people are now all for re-introducing the wolf - don't expect consistency
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 28th, 2016 at 5:34:30 AM permalink
Speaking of cats and birds,
My White and Black turkey has returned.

And our cats still refuse to get lost....

Go Eagles.......Oh, and Go Falcons too...
Last edited by: TwoFeathersATL on Apr 28, 2016
RS
RS
April 28th, 2016 at 6:34:01 AM permalink
Yay, snowflake's back!

Wait, how long can a turkey survive in the wild? I assume snowflake is a domesticated turkey...?
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 28th, 2016 at 7:30:51 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Yay, snowflake's back!

Wait, how long can a turkey survive in the wild? I assume snowflake is a domesticated turkey...?

Youuuuuuuuu might be a rascal.
Snowflake is a wild turkey, a rare coloration, ('they' say 1 in a hundred for hens, 1 in a thou for Toms)
I don't know about the 'survive in the wild' part.
She's safe from me unless I get hungry ;-)
Then I would have some more feathers for my collection......
DRich
DRich
April 28th, 2016 at 7:50:09 AM permalink
When you bowl three strikes in a row, why is it called a turkey?
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 28th, 2016 at 8:01:41 AM permalink

When you bowl three strikes in a row, why is it called a turkey?

You Bowl? That's funny. Didn't have you pegged as a bowler. You should share your scores....
DRich
DRich
April 28th, 2016 at 8:12:54 AM permalink

You Bowl? That's funny. Didn't have you pegged as a bowler. You should share your scores....

I grew up in the midwest where everybody bowls, except me. You had me pegged correctly I just wanted to contribute to all of the bird talk in this thread. I have probably bowled 5 times in the past 20 years and that was mainly when the kids were young and we took them out to try bowling..
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
April 28th, 2016 at 9:14:12 AM permalink

I grew up in the midwest where everybody bowls, except me. You had me pegged correctly I just wanted to contribute to all of the bird talk in this thread. I have probably bowled 5 times in the past 20 years and that was mainly when the kids were young and we took them out to try bowling..

I don't bowl either, was just messin' wid ya. 40 years or so ago, actually closer to 50, I bowled every Sunday night at the only all night bowling place in the city of Atlanta. Everyone else but me had just shut down their pizza parlors, Gigi's Pizza it was, and we went bowling. We got there 'bout midnight, bowled for awhile, and then went to (damn, trying to remember here), we went to (jhit still can't remember), actually remembered while typing. Remembered just between the last 'we went to' and the (jhit I can't remember), we went to the Magestic. There we ate breakfast. The whole night wasn't really 'bout the bowling, was about a larger thing. I miss those days sometimes.
I have been bowling with my sons more than a few times in just the last few years. Just daddy thing. I still can bowl 200+, or 100-, the years haven't changed a thing, in terms of the score, I tried not to mention the 'scoring', some dem gals still send me email ;-!
ernestmiddle
ernestmiddle
  • Threads: 2
April 28th, 2016 at 9:28:14 AM permalink
Last time I bowled I had 9 strikes in one game. My score was 120.
DRich
DRich
April 28th, 2016 at 9:34:05 AM permalink
Quote: ernestmiddle

Not possible.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
April 28th, 2016 at 9:49:27 AM permalink
Quote: ernestmiddle

Not possible.

Frame12345678910
Pinsxx0xx0xx0xxx
Score20100201002010030
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
RS
RS
April 28th, 2016 at 9:55:30 AM permalink
How do you get 3 strikes on the 10'th frame?
  • Jump to: