Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 9110
April 20th, 2017 at 8:54:08 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Whenever I have to pick up salt at the store, I always wonder who in world buys name brand salt (Morton) over the cheaper generic store brand?



I buy Morton ' s for 2 reasons. They add iodine, which I and a lot of women need as a supplemental nutrient for thyroid health, and their salt doesn't clump as easily as generic brands, even if the house is humid, or you keep it in a camper or someplace relatively moist. It takes me about 3 years to go through a canister of salt, so I appreciate the dependable shelf life. I have, a couple of times over the years, bought a canister of generic, and both times had to toss them out after a few months because they'd fused into a solid lump in the package; never had Morton ' s rot like that.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 12641
April 20th, 2017 at 10:34:43 PM permalink
Who buys table salt? It's free at all the fast food joints.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 131
  • Posts: 4963
April 20th, 2017 at 10:48:50 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Who buys table salt? It's free at all the fast food joints.

Should I buy Tabasco sauce or just steal from Chipotle a bottle or two?
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 131
  • Posts: 4963
April 20th, 2017 at 10:50:39 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I buy Morton ' s for 2 reasons. They add iodine, which I and a lot of women need as a supplemental nutrient for thyroid health, and their salt doesn't clump as easily as generic brands, even if the house is humid, or you keep it in a camper or someplace relatively moist. It takes me about 3 years to go through a canister of salt, so I appreciate the dependable shelf life. I have, a couple of times over the years, bought a canister of generic, and both times had to toss them out after a few months because they'd fused into a solid lump in the package; never had Morton ' s rot like that.

Clumped so bad you can't break it up with a fork or shake the hell out of it?
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 9110
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
April 20th, 2017 at 10:52:41 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Clumped so bad you can't break it up with a fork or shake the hell out of it?



That's Florida (and Charleston SC before that) for you. Humid climates. Might as well be a rock in a can.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 5354
April 20th, 2017 at 11:09:43 PM permalink
I think table salt is like bottled water. It's not the base product that's different, but the trace elements that may drive a preference for a "name" brand.

I saw "Popcorn" salt at the market. What is it that makes this salt worthy of the adjetive? Who would need a dedicated container of salt for their popcorn? Don't microwave popcorn bags come with salt and butter flavor? Do enough people make unsalted popcorn that this product would find a market?
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 5457
April 20th, 2017 at 11:58:05 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I think table salt is like bottled water. It's not the base product that's different, but the trace elements that may drive a preference for a "name" brand.

I saw "Popcorn" salt at the market. What is it that makes this salt worthy of the adjetive? Who would need a dedicated container of salt for their popcorn? Don't microwave popcorn bags come with salt and butter flavor? Do enough people make unsalted popcorn that this product would find a market?



Popcorn salt is much finer and not as course as "table salt".

#CommonSense
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 131
  • Posts: 4963
April 21st, 2017 at 12:59:56 AM permalink
Noticed an ingredient in some cookies, Himalayan salt. Never heard of it, wouldn't be surprised if the salt wasn't even Himalayan and they just say it is.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 275
  • Posts: 7334
April 21st, 2017 at 3:09:32 AM permalink
There is a whole 'nother world out their for salt varieties. Sea salt and otherwise.

Himalayan salt is for those who like their salt multi-colored methinks. Pic from Google search sidebar.

"Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed." .......... Mark Twain
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 6222
April 21st, 2017 at 3:40:25 AM permalink
I am pretty excited. Bert Kreischer is coming to Pittsburgh. Got my tickets this morning.

If anyone has not seen his stand up special, you should really watch it. He is hilarious.

  • Jump to: