Thread Rating:

Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 9:51:52 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Most standards change over the course of the night, in relation to the amount of alcohol consumed. It's amazing how many 9s and 10s are around at closing time.

Ya, but in the morning, just like Obi Wan says, may the 4's be with you!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 10:28:15 AM permalink
That where the term coyote ugly comes from. Wine and Nembutal makes for some interesting sleeping companions.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 10:33:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

When dating I had very low standards.

I probably started the evening hoping for a 5, by the end of the night I was content with a 2.

Hmmm.... Perhaps I have some people confused in my memories.

I seem to recall attending a WoV Spring Fling gathering in May 2019, during which a significant number of us (including my wife and me) met up in a suite at the Golden Nugget for some private gaming and socializing. There was a young lady in attendance, and my (questionable) memory is that she was your wife. If you spent your dating years with girls rated in the 2 to 5 range, how did you wind up with such a cute sweetie as her?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
unJon
August 10th, 2021 at 10:38:20 AM permalink

What's the difference between a 5 and an 8? Five shots of Tequila.

You know, all of this discussion about numbers got me to thinking about numbers. Numbers are in everything, aren't they?

That kind of circles me back around to my Great-Grandma. Her age was a number when she died, and she was also a woman...which most (if not all) Playboy models presumably are, but my Great-Grandma was not a Playboy model. She was definitely a woman whose age was a number, though.

I don't think she would read Playboy because she mostly liked going to church. In fact, she was the bookkeeper of her church for many years, can you imagine!? Bookkeeping has to do with numbers AND her age was a number? She also really liked hot tea, which I also like. I like Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast, but Red Rose was my Great-Grandma's favorite tea. I also like Red Rose.

My Great-Grandma drank Red Rose tea with milk and sugar, but I never did. I've pretty much just always taken my tea plain.

Anyway, that's all about my Great-Grandma...even if not directly related to this line of conversation, it was at least Miscellaneous, which is the purpose of this thread.

Oh, I also play the RISK game on my phone with the mobile app. You can add RISK friends, so PM me if you want to play RISK...maybe...I still haven't decided if I want to play with people from the Forum or not. I might, but there would have to be a confidentiality agreement not to discuss results.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 10:38:42 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I seem to recall attending a WoV Spring Fling gathering in May 2019, during which a significant number of us (including my wife and me) met up in a suite at the Golden Nugget for some private gaming and socializing. There was a young lady in attendance, and my (questionable) memory is that she was your wife. If you spent your dating years with girls rated in the 2 to 5 range, how did you wind up with such a cute sweetie as her?

He got a better job.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 11:01:04 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Oh, I also play the RISK game on my phone with the mobile app. You can add RISK friends, so PM me if you want to play RISK...maybe...I still haven't decided if I want to play with people from the Forum or not. I might, but there would have to be a confidentiality agreement not to discuss results.

About twenty years ago, my friends and I started playing risks on a computer that somehow projected the game onto my friends six foot screen. There were three of us that played regularly and a few more that would join on occasion. t the end of the game, the computer would give everyone a score and the winner got 5 cents a point for the difference. We were all fairly equally matched for a few months and it was a lot of fun until the guy who owned the computer all of a sudden started winning every game. We suspected him of cheating but he laughed it off. After months of everyone winning on occasion, he became unstoppable. I knew he was cheating but couldn't figure out how. Suddenly it dawned on me. He would attack country from two other countries and use the attack to transfer his men from one country to another. You can't do this in regular risk and we had no idea you could do it here. I ran a few simulations to understand just how powerful this hack was and and showed it to my friend that also played all the time. Whereas before, the big loser for the night might lose $10 or so, for the last few weeks my "friend" had been taking each of us for $25-40 a night. It wasn't the money, it was the fact that one of my longest friends was playing us for suckers.
The three of us sit down for a game and once we knew what to look for ,it was obvious. A few minutes into the game, the guy goes to cheat for the third time and my friend asks him if he is sure he wants to do that. Not knowing he'd been found out, he makes the move and is greeted with a sudden overhand right to his nose. We never played again and our friendship with the cheater was never the same.
That was the second time I lost a long time friend over Risk.
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 11:07:58 AM permalink
Well, you can't just spin that good of a yarn without expecting me to ask about the first time!

So...what was the first time you lost a friend over RISK?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 11:15:11 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Sadly, I believe you are mistaken. I don't believe that I have ever taken a wife or girlfriend to a WOV event. You may be thinking of Axel, that guy really out kicked his coverage.

My wife used to work at Las Vegas Advisor so some of you may have met her there. I know my wife has met Wizard but I don't know whom else.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 11:29:26 AM permalink
I think I mentioned it here. It was back in high school. About six of us started and there were three of us left. I was by far the weakest and had literally nothing left but a few countries with one or two armies and three Risk cards. My friend Chris set up his armies and attacked me. Took me all out except for one country and one army.
I think he had seven or eight so was rolling three dice to my one. I went on a roll and instead of him putting me out of the game I made five or six high rolls and stood off his attack. Instead of him putting me out and getting my cards which he could have cashed in for a substantial amount of new armies, and go on to win the game, I survived, got my three armies, attacked him and got another risk card. However it didn't give me a set so the other player went. He attacked me, took my risk cards and double cashed. Chris went from being a 99% winner if he had taken my last remaining country and cashed in the cards to losing the game the next round. The thing is he blamed me, accusing me of somehow throwing the high numbers on purpose. We never played risk again and a few months later, at a picnic we were choosing up sides for a softball game and he said he wouldn't play if I did. He told everyone that he would never play anything ever if I was playing. I had no idea he had that big a grudge against me and when I tried to talk to him about it he said some unkind things and we never spoke again. A few weeks later, he pulled something similar with one of our friends who was much more popular than I was and he pretty much was excommunicated from our social circles.
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 11:42:08 AM permalink
Wow, some people take the game seriously!

I just don't want anyone giving me any crap on the forums if I lose to them. I guess the nice thing about playing anonymous folks is that I care slightly less than usual about winning.

The mobile RISK game actually gives you a ranking depending on how you have performed. I'm not certain what all of the calculations are, but last night I was, "Master," which I think is the second-highest ranking.

Mostly, I just try to play games with four people and form an early alliance with someone. I'll try to take advantage of potentially winning positions from time to time (usually means someone in the game, sometimes my alliance partner, was too aggressive), but I'm mostly content to try to help my alliance partner win...so, as a result, I take 2nd Place a good bit of the time. They're usually reluctant to attack such a helpful partner and, by the time we reach the endgame, I tend not to have much material left because I'm either aggressively attacking the other two players or using my material to help protect my partner's borders.

If my partner turns on me what I consider, "Too early," then I'll usually put 100% of my focus on doing everything possible to take them out.

I'd say about 60% of players are smart enough not to mess with you if you've never done anything but try to help them win.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:08:23 PM permalink

You know, all of this discussion about numbers got me to thinking about numbers. Numbers are in everything, aren't they?

you should watch the movie "Pi" if you haven't already - but I'm guessing you have - great movie

here's the trailer:

Please don't feed the trolls
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:12:05 PM permalink
I might get around to that one of these days! I haven't watched it, but I watch very few movies. I might be under 100, lifetime, and definitely under 200.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:17:17 PM permalink

I might get around to that one of these days! I haven't watched it, but I watch very few movies. I might be under 100, lifetime, and definitely under 200.

I am probably less than you. I probably watch one movie a year now. Usually it is one that I have already seen and liked. My wife said that either Blazing Saddles or Airplane will be the next one we watch together.
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:21:38 PM permalink

I am probably less than you. I probably watch one movie a year now. Usually it is one that I have already seen and liked. My wife said that either Blazing Saddles or Airplane will be the next one we watch together.

I'm probably over 200 if watching the same movie multiple times is included. I should have, perhaps, specified unique movies.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:38:17 PM permalink

I started trying to keep track of ever movie I’ve watched.

I got to around 1200 and stopped counting. I think the true count has to be has to be at least double that.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:40:12 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I started trying to keep track of ever movie I’ve watched.

I got to around 1200 and stopped counting. I think the true count has to be has to be at least double that.

That is great, it sounds like you really like to watch movies. To me that seems like 4800 hours wasted that I could have been watching football. To each their own.
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:44:56 PM permalink

That is great, it sounds like you really like to watch movies. To me that seems like 4800 hours wasted that I could have been watching football. To each their own.

"Well, the Godfather trilogy is coming on...but we've got the 2-10 Washington Football Team going up against the 3-9 New York Giants this week..."

I agree. The football game is a no-brainer for me.
Last edited by: Mission146 on Aug 10, 2021
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 2:02:35 PM permalink

"Well, the Godfather trilogy is coming on...but we've got the 2-10 Washington Football Team going up against the 3-7 New York Giants this week..."

I am not a big fan of NFL football but I probably still watch at least five games a week. I would definitely watch those games over the Godfather series. I am a huge college football consumer and probably watch fifteen games a week of that. Even if two relatively unknown teams are playing I would watch that over any movie or tv series.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 3:25:36 PM permalink
I just read a stat that about three billion animals are killed each day for food. Wow, only 175,000 people die per day.
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 3:43:09 PM permalink

"Well, the Godfather trilogy is coming on...but we've got the 2-10 Washington Football Team going up against the 3-9 New York Giants this week..."

I'll have a thousand opportunities to watch the Godfather. Only one chance to watch the football game live.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 3:51:25 PM permalink

I'll have a thousand opportunities to watch the Godfather. Only one chance to watch the football game live.

I would say that the majority of football games I watch are recorded and I already know the result. I still want to see the plays and the game even if I know who wins.
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 4:03:00 PM permalink

I would say that the majority of football games I watch are recorded and I already know the result. I still want to see the plays and the game even if I know who wins.

I can watch a game that is taped if I don't know the results, but I'd much rather watch a condensed game if I know the results. Most of the baseball games I watch are the condensed versions.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 4:04:50 PM permalink

I can watch a game that is taped if I don't know the results, but I'd much rather watch a condensed game if I know the results. Most of the baseball games I watch are the condensed versions.

I will admit that I use the fast forward button a lot when watching recorded games.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 5:31:03 PM permalink

I just read a stat that about three billion animals are killed each day for food. Wow, only 175,000 people die per day.

The three billion number includes fish and lobsters and crawfish and everything that lives in the water. The number you want to look at is 200 million land animals are killed every day for food. 200 million a day.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 5:45:06 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The three billion number includes fish and lobsters and crawfish and everything that lives in the water. The number you want to look at is 200 million land animals are killed every day for food. 200 million a day.

No, I wanted to know how many deaths there are a day. I still can't find what I think is a good answer. I want every living thing included.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 8:26:07 PM permalink

I don't believe that I have ever taken a wife or girlfriend to a WOV event. You may be thinking of Axel, that guy really out kicked his coverage.

It does, indeed, appear that this geezer's memory has confused two people from an event in 2019. Sorry.
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 8:39:57 PM permalink

I watch sports every single night. It is all I watch. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf, NASCAR, Tennis, Olympics, UFC, Boxing.

I cannot and will not ever watch a sporting event recorded unless its during the day time with no real live sports on and its a very old ESPN Classic type game from years ago that I may have forgotten about.

I never record a game and watch it a few hours or days later. I just look at the box score, read the recap, watch the highlights and find something else live!

My favorites for the record are:

NFL: Steelers
NCAAFB: Louisiana Monroe
NBA: Mavericks
NCAABB: West Virginia and St. Johns
MLB: Red Sox
NHL: Sabres
NASCAR: Penske Drivers
Soccer: Columbus Crew, Chelsea, Bayern Munich
BoSox
BoSox
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 4:34:31 AM permalink
mwalz9, I noticed that you are a Red Sox fan, as people may already have figured out that I am also one. Although, it is painful to watch this tailspin that they are going through. Tonight I may watch something else on the tube.
mwalz9
mwalz9
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 9:11:43 AM permalink
Quote: BoSox

mwalz9, I noticed that you are a Red Sox fan, as people may already have figured out that I am also one. Although, it is painful to watch this tailspin that they are going through. Tonight I may watch something else on the tube.

Its awful. We may not even get a wild card at thjs point!
mwalz9
mwalz9
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 9:11:48 AM permalink
Dupe.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 9:18:29 AM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

I watch sports every single night. It is all I watch. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf, NASCAR, Tennis, Olympics, UFC, Boxing.

I cannot and will not ever watch a sporting event recorded unless its during the day time with no real live sports on and its a very old ESPN Classic type game from years ago that I may have forgotten about.

I never record a game and watch it a few hours or days later. I just look at the box score, read the recap, watch the highlights and find something else live!

My favorites for the record are:

NFL: Steelers
NCAAFB: Louisiana Monroe
NBA: Mavericks
NCAABB: West Virginia and St. Johns
MLB: Red Sox
NHL: Sabres
NASCAR: Penske Drivers
Soccer: Columbus Crew, Chelsea, Bayern Munich

It sounds like you are more a fan of certain teams than maybe the sport itself. I love college football and will watch games between teams I have never heard of. My problem is that there are so many on at the same time there is no way to watch them all live. My DVR will only allow me to record four games at once and there is occassionaly days where there are 5 or more games on at the same time. In that case I will usually miss one of the games. My goal is to watch every single game that is on tv and to watch them before their next game is played. I probably watch 15 to 20 college games a week. If I miss a game per week I am very upset.

Watching division III John Carrol vs Mount Union holds just as much interest for me as UCLA vs Oregon.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 9:36:51 AM permalink
3D Billboards

Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 9:38:34 AM permalink
I hope Marty McFly doesn't follow WoV, otherwise, he might end up with PTSD.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 11:21:52 AM permalink

Consider a plate of shrimp. That's 6 to 20 lives right there.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 11:29:46 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Consider a plate of shrimp. That's 6 to 20 lives right there.

Obviously you have never seen me at the Red Lobster Monday night all you can eat shrimp promo. I prefer the scampi and the wood fire roasted shrimp.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 11:30:25 AM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

I watch sports every single night.

The last sporting event I watched was in 1970, a Detroit Lions football game. I do watch a few holes of golf once in awhile if Tiger Woods is playing, just to see him lose. But he's probably never going to play golf again so I won't even be doing that.
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 11:31:12 AM permalink
There have been posts such as these:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/casual-corner/36282-personal-happenings/7/#post818159

Having to do with old houses in the, "Personal Happenings," thread.

That actually got me to thinking about something my fiancee and I sometimes do for fun. We like to walk around various cemeteries and try to find the oldest grave in the place. Living on the Eastern half of the country makes these walks particularly interesting because you'll sometimes find graves belonging to veterans of the Revolutionary War! Those ones are a rare find, to be sure (especially since I'm not quite THAT far east), but it's pretty remarkable to see tangible evidence of these guys who were probably just pretty regular dudes otherwise.

On a recent walk, we even found a grave belonging to someone who died just prior to U.S.A. even becoming a country. I think that we are going to try to do a tour of a bunch of cemeteries more east of here next time we do a road trip type of thing.
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 11:31:49 AM permalink

Obviously you have never seen me at the Red Lobster Monday night all you can eat shrimp promo. I prefer the scampi and the wood fire roasted shrimp.

I'm sorry, Red Lobster has what? Is that a national thing?
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 12:10:31 PM permalink

I'm sorry, Red Lobster has what? Is that a national thing?

I don't know if it is national or not, but on Monday's they do an all you can eat for $17.00 I think. It was only $15 last year. It has been running here for a few years. You are not limited to one kind of shrimp, every re-order can be different. I prefer the wood roasted skewers and the shrimp scampi. They have other choices too.

https://www.redlobster.com/menu/specials/daily-deals

or just search endless shrimp red lobster
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 12:14:34 PM permalink

I don't know if it is national or not, but on Monday's they do an all you can eat for $17.00 I think. It was only $15 last year. It has been running here for a few years. You are not limited to one kind of shrimp, every re-order can be different. I prefer the wood roasted skewers and the shrimp scampi. They have other choices too.

Why do people say Red Lobster is expensive!? Look at all of those deals! Thanks for the tip!
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 12:17:06 PM permalink

By the way, you will never see Red Lobster do the All You Can Eat crab again. A few years ago they got killed so bad on that promotion that they had to disclose it in their quarterly financials. The CEO said never again.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 11th, 2021 at 12:25:03 PM permalink
Years ago, when my son was a teen, a local higher end burger chain ran a promotion that he and his buddy AP'd to the max.

To promote their new fish sandwich, they set up a table on a pedestal with a sign saying "Man Eating Fish" and let two people sit there and eat a fish sandwich for free.

That one didn't last too long.
"What, me worry?"
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
Thanked by
EvenBobMission146billryanmiplet
August 11th, 2021 at 12:37:22 PM permalink
Calling all MODS:

Not sure where to put this, but this seems as good of a place as any.

I have no idea why Mission adds a thank you to each post, I guess I could just ask him, but I would rather bitch and complain. It's getting annoying, can you guys do something about this? There's a slight bump to your WMOAT rating if you can restrict him to one or two a day.

Do I really have to be reminded of Mission's hillbilly mug every time someone makes a post? That's a joke in case you don't know. However, it's true, good or bad, that I'm reminded of Mission whenever someone makes a post.

I hope everyone else will now be reminded of him upchucking in the trash can after he miserably failed in the McNuggets challenge when they see his thankyou's after each post. Good times, Good times. 😋
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
billryan
billryan 
August 11th, 2021 at 12:40:20 PM permalink
I didn't really care about it until he said he didn't bother to read the posts, just thanks them anyway.
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
billryangordonm888
August 11th, 2021 at 12:48:46 PM permalink
How can anyone possibly complain about me thanking them?

"I thank, therefore I am." My entire existence is, "Thank you," and this button is the best way that I know how to express myself.

Posts I read, don't read...posts that I read and agree with, disagree with, don't even understand.

Posts that compliment me, insult me, like me, hate me.

None of that matters. I think all of you and all of your posts are special, so thank you.

Anyway, fine, you guys have it your way. I'm not going to thank anybody's posts anymore from now on.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 12:51:25 PM permalink

Anyway, fine, you guys have it your way. I'm not going to thank anybody's posts anymore from now on.

If you don't thank my posts I will take it personally and never forgive you.
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
billryanOnceDearHunterhill
August 11th, 2021 at 12:52:00 PM permalink

If you don't thank my posts I will take it personally and never forgive you.

From now on, I am only thanking DRich's posts.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
August 11th, 2021 at 12:54:56 PM permalink

From now on, I am only thanking DRich's posts.

Hallelujah.

I really didn't want to have to grade up any MODS so soon. I feel that I have already been extra generous lately.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 11th, 2021 at 1:03:34 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Calling all MODS:

Not sure where to put this, but this seems as good of a place as any.

I have no idea why Mission adds a thank you to each post, I guess I could just ask him, but I would rather bitch and complain. It's getting annoying, 😋

I noticed it also and it is very annoying. It's meaningless when it's attached to every post.
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2021 at 1:25:57 PM permalink
What if I only thank posts from DRich and any posts I quote and reply to? It seems rude not to thank a post I have replied to.
  • Jump to: