Thread Rating:

Dodsferd
Dodsferd
  • Threads: 1
December 1st, 2015 at 3:47:57 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

I heard big hog meat is tough. The small ones are tender. Also, wild is probably tougher.

I never skinned an animal. I met people who have. I would imagine it gets bloody.

It's an opportunity to do movie impersonations of bloody scenes.

I've seen various ways to skin animals. One of the funniest (to me), involved a golf ball, a rope, and a truck. They essentially just pulled the skin off the deer like a wrapper. Wasn't bloody at all.
This feeling is heavy, makes my body ache and I'm ready; To fall into the sky and I see now, the reason why. My heart is heavy, takes me to a place I can't breathe. Only then I know why I see the warning sign.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
December 1st, 2015 at 4:08:44 PM permalink
Skinning is not all that bloody except around the wounds (entrance and exit). Taking off the quarters is a little bloodier. Some of the other parts can be bloody and messy...but all in all, it is not too bad.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 1st, 2015 at 4:18:29 PM permalink
Quote: Dodsferd

I've seen various ways to skin animals. One of the funniest (to me), involved a golf ball, a rope, and a truck. They essentially just pulled the skin off the deer like a wrapper. Wasn't bloody at all.

Still trying to work out the mechanics for which the golf ball is required. Grew up with hunting; had to clean and dress the birds, but was spared the large game; they field dressed them.

Lot of feral pig hunting throughout the South; they're prolific. It's been my experience that it makes great sausage (mixed with appropriate fat and spices), sometimes good smoked but usually not as ham or bacon.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Dodsferd
Dodsferd
December 1st, 2015 at 4:23:17 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Still trying to work out the mechanics for which the golf ball is required. Grew up with hunting; had to clean and dress the birds, but was spared the large game; they field dressed them.

Lot of feral pig hunting throughout the South; they're prolific. It's been my experience that it makes great sausage (mixed with appropriate fat and spices), sometimes good smoked but usually not as ham or bacon.

It involved cutting the skin around the neck, and the hooves. The golf ball is placed underneath the skin, and then the rope is tied around the ball from the exterior of the skin, to the bumper of a truck. The deer was anchored to a tree, and then they just pulled forward slowly with the vehicle.

Edit:
Formatting error
This feeling is heavy, makes my body ache and I'm ready; To fall into the sky and I see now, the reason why. My heart is heavy, takes me to a place I can't breathe. Only then I know why I see the warning sign.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
December 1st, 2015 at 4:37:27 PM permalink

It involved cutting the skin around the neck, and the hooves. The golf ball is placed underneath the skin, and then the rope is tied around the ball from the exterior of the skin, to the bumper of a truck. The deer was anchored to a tree, and then they just pulled forward slowly with the vehicle.

Edit:
Formatting error

I still do not understand the golfball part, and I have skinned and butchered many animals, both large and small.
Like the newest avatar btw, but what is she holding? I cannot tell, and it's driving me a little crazy ,,z..;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Dodsferd
Dodsferd
December 1st, 2015 at 5:13:40 PM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

I still do not understand the golfball part, and I have skinned and butchered many animals, both large and small.
Like the newest avatar btw, but what is she holding? I cannot tell, and it's driving me a little crazy ,,z..;-)

If a visual aid helps better, see the following video;

Edit:

Her top.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 326
December 1st, 2015 at 5:23:19 PM permalink
I'm a avid youtuber, and usually view what they recommend based on my viewing history.

I watch a lot of videos about Russian trucks in extreme conditions.

like this one
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 1st, 2015 at 5:26:24 PM permalink

Edit:
Formatting error

She's holding the top of the bikini/bra.

The golf ball acts like a saddle horn, the rope wrapped around the skin under the bulge of the ball; otherwise the rope would rip through the skin wherever you tried to fasten it, AFAICT.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Dodsferd
Dodsferd
December 1st, 2015 at 5:29:32 PM permalink

The golf ball acts like a saddle horn, the rope wrapped around the skin under the bulge of the ball; otherwise the rope would rip through the skin wherever you tried to fasten it, AFAICT.

Correct! You're much more proficient at articulating the procedure than I. I haven't had the experience of skinning anything myself, so the reference was a little bit more awkward for me to describe.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 1st, 2015 at 5:42:52 PM permalink
There a bounty on them hogs? I have quite a bit of mercenary history, and it's gotta be better than slingin' mail in December rain. Totally self sufficient, just show me the property boundaries and I'll be back in a week.

On cats...

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

• Jump to: