Thread Rating:

soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
May 14th, 2016 at 6:38:10 PM permalink
I just hope that all of those whiny, insane, evil leftists don't scurry and slither up here north of the border after Trump wins the election in November, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
May 15th, 2016 at 7:21:24 AM permalink
The insanity of entrenched politicians....Republicans, like Democrats, are facing a huge rebellion against "politics as usual" among their party members and independents--as shown by the successful candidacy of Trump and the rise of Bernie Sanders.

The entrenched Republicans answer to this rebellion. Of course--exactly--we shall find out why people think we aren't serving them well and make the party better.

Nope...we'd rather be stuck on stupid and run a guaranteed to lose "Real Republican" like Mitt Romney. Yes, the guy who couldn't defeat a weakened President Obama in 2012.

It is amazing how much the establishment cares about, well, staying established!!

The rules of the Democrat party practical hand the nomination to Clinton. That is fair, or course, because no one changed the rules to make the outcome different coming into this election cycle. They are simply following established rules. Perhaps they should change them. That is up to them. If it weren't for those rules, we could have two outsiders running.

...and the establishment still refuses to listen. A Romney (or some other jackass) run practically guarantees Clinton three to four Supremes...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
May 15th, 2016 at 8:03:44 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

The insanity of entrenched politicians....Republicans, like Democrats, are facing a huge rebellion against "politics as usual" among their party members and independents--as shown by the successful candidacy of Trump and the rise of Bernie Sanders.

The entrenched Republicans answer to this rebellion. Of course--exactly--we shall find out why people think we aren't serving them well and make the party better.

All the focus on Trump masks that the Democrats have near as huge a problem for the same reasons. Remember, in 2008 they wanted to hand it to Hillary same as today, until Obama threw a Monkey Wrench into the plans. Remember also that then Obama was an outsider candidate running as an unabashed liberal. It isn't conservatives sick of business as usual, it is a huge part of the USA.

Quote:

Nope...we'd rather be stuck on stupid and run a guaranteed to lose "Real Republican" like Mitt Romney. Yes, the guy who couldn't defeat a weakened President Obama in 2012.

It is amazing how much the establishment cares about, well, staying established!!

Because their lives do not change if they win or lose. Go to the country club in your Mercedes; have lunch at the trendy place; cocktail party and dinner with the power brokers; then home to the brownstone in Georgetown. Wake up and do it all again. In fall spend Sunday in a box at the Redskins game, in summer at the Nationals. Lobbyists pay tribute to keep your ear then leave and pay the same tribute to the other family. All the while you as kingmaker shake down the people in your party for money and favors they owe because you make them. Trump has the power to not take your phone calls. That to them is more scary than 9 Ginsbergs on the Supremes.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 36
May 21st, 2016 at 4:27:28 PM permalink
Trump is leading Hillary in the two latest polls. "President Trump" -- get used to hearing those two words together. It could happen.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 36
May 21st, 2016 at 10:00:54 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That is risking getting off topic, but I just said "win."

Well, he didn't really win. He was essentially *appointed*.

I don't wish to get into it, but I think the Bush camp has their complaints as well, like the Gore side fighting to not count military votes on technicalities in the recount.

Given that the (illegal) military ballots *were* counted (and they decided the election), so what?

"After the election was certified, however, the New York Times conducted a six-month investigation, during which it retrieved the envelopes in which the ballots were mailed and searched for violations of the law.1 In one of the longest sets of articles ever published by the Times, the news organization concluded that 680 of the overseas absentee ballots that had been counted by Florida counties unambiguously violated one or more aspects of Florida election law and, by any reasonable interpretation of the law, should have been discarded. Indeed, after the Times story appeared, commentators and partisans from both sides accepted these factual claims.2" Harvard Symposium
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
May 21st, 2016 at 10:07:26 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

I'd argue that in 2000, the more charismatic candidate (Bush) didn't actually win; the election was stolen through fraud. Even before considering voter suppression, it's indisputable that he got fewer votes than Gore.

"A comprehensive review of the uncounted Florida ballots from last year's presidential election reveals that George W. Bush would have won even if the United States Supreme Court had allowed the statewide manual recount of the votes that the Florida Supreme Court had ordered to go forward.

"Contrary to what many partisans of former Vice President Al Gore have charged, the United States Supreme Court did not award an election to Mr. Bush that otherwise would have been won by Mr. Gore. A close examination of the ballots found that Mr. Bush would have retained a slender margin over Mr. Gore if the Florida court's order to recount more than 43,000 ballots had not been reversed by the United States Supreme Court." The New York Tmes

Quote:

About Trump, his charisma is relative. Women are far more likely to find him creepy than charismatic.

And that is based on . . .
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1372
May 22nd, 2016 at 7:35:23 AM permalink
Posts, except the one above, about the 2000 election were split off to DANGLING CHADS -- FRAUD IN THE 2000 ELECTION.

Due to the length of this thread, it took a long time to split-off, and the post above was made during the process. SanchoPanza, can I trouble you to please re-post the above in the new thread?

Speaking of the length of this thread, I'd like to close it and start a part 2 for the topic. Can I get anybody to second that? Objections?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
May 22nd, 2016 at 7:37:55 AM permalink

Posts, except the one above, about the 2000 election were split off to DANGLING CHADS -- FRAUD IN THE 2000 ELECTION.

Due to the length of this thread, it took a long time to split-off, and the post above was made during the process. SanchoPanza, can I trouble you to please re-post the above in the new thread?

Speaking of the length of this thread, I'd like to close it and start a part 2 for the topic. Can I get anybody to second that? Objections?

I hope we can stop going off topic for so long and causing you guys that much work.

I'm fine with a new "part 2"--that may even make it easier if we go off on a tangent.

Some warnings for going too far astray or quicker splits might help...but please not suspensions!!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 110
May 22nd, 2016 at 7:40:44 AM permalink
No second needed. If thread length makes it too cumbersome for you moderators, then of course start new thread.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
May 22nd, 2016 at 8:04:10 AM permalink
Quote: soxfan

I just hope that all of those whiny, insane, evil leftists don't scurry and slither up here north of the border after Trump wins the election in November, hey hey.

Build a wall. Let Fort Erie/Niagara Falls be an imperial free zone so we can still visit.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: