ams288
  • Threads: 22
September 16th, 2015 at 10:37:19 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

Quote: ams288

Quote: AZDuffman

Dems go screaming when any anti-fraud pro-voter suppression measure is proposed. All I'm saying.

Fixed.

How is asking a voter to prove they are in fact who they say they are in any way shape or form, voter suppression? I, for one, would prefer to know that if I don't cast my vote, that nobody else casts it on my behalf, something I cannot be assured of under the current system.

This issue has been debated to death on these boards. Maybe use the search function....

The simple fact remains that no one can ever point to any serious legitimate cases of voter fraud occurring in this country. Yet for some reason the righties keep insisting on pushing through measures that make it difficult for some older, poorer, and minority voters to actually vote.

I, for one, was not allowed to vote in the 2008 election because when I got to the polls, my vote was already cast. And how does showing an ID, which you need to purchase OTC products such as allergy medicine, cold medicine Drano, alcohol or tobacco punishing older, poorer people. You can get a State ID for $5 in my state, which is one of the most over-fee'd and overtaxed states in the union.

It's definitely not $5 for an ID in every state.

I think I could support these voter ID laws if there were no fees involved. Make it totally free to obtain whatever ID the righties are trying to require in order to vote. And free to obtain all the documentation necessary to obtain that ID (i.e. Birth certificate, SS card, etc.). No one should have to pay ANYTHING in order to be able to vote. I don't care if it's $5 or 5¢.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
September 16th, 2015 at 10:40:04 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I really hate that you are so bi-partisan and refuse to look at anything objectively. It really is a form of dishonesty. You either are not being honest with us, or you are not being honest with yourself.

I think you meant "partisan" but I'm still gonna give this a

+100000

anyway...
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 214
September 16th, 2015 at 10:44:48 AM permalink

I think you meant "partisan" but I'm still gonna give this a

+100000

anyway...

You are correct, that is what I meant. Fixed. :)
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
September 16th, 2015 at 10:50:12 AM permalink

Dems go screaming when any anti-fraud pro-voter suppression measure is proposed. All I'm saying.

Fixed.

How is asking a voter to prove they are in fact who they say they are in any way shape or form, voter suppression? I, for one, would prefer to know that if I don't cast my vote, that nobody else casts it on my behalf, something I cannot be assured of under the current system.

This issue has been debated to death on these boards. Maybe use the search function....

The simple fact remains that no one can ever point to any serious legitimate cases of voter fraud occurring in this country. Yet for some reason the righties keep insisting on pushing through measures that make it difficult for some older, poorer, and minority voters to actually vote.

I, for one, was not allowed to vote in the 2008 election because when I got to the polls, my vote was already cast. And how does showing an ID, which you need to purchase OTC products such as allergy medicine, cold medicine Drano, alcohol or tobacco punishing older, poorer people. You can get a State ID for $5 in my state, which is one of the most over-fee'd and overtaxed states in the union.

I think I could support these voter ID laws if there were no fees involved. Make it totally free to obtain whatever ID the righties are trying to require in order to vote. And free to obtain all the documentation necessary to obtain that ID (i.e. Birth certificate, SS card, etc.). No one should have to pay ANYTHING in order to be able to vote. I don't care if it's $5 or 5¢.

Here are the costs in every state. none is too oppressive,

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/419/How-much-do-state-ID-cards-cost

The bare minimum to vote, you should be able to prove you are who you say you are. Who am I to know whether or not I am still on the voter registration logs from my previous addresses. How do I prevent people such as friend, neighbors, family from knowing I moved from there from casting a ballot in my name at that polling place? it all leaves me really uneasy.

And I guess it is a little more than $5 where I live, it's $20, it was $5 to get one with an updated address.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 214
September 16th, 2015 at 10:59:30 AM permalink
I can support showing ID to vote. But, acquiring ID MUST be free. If there is ANY cost, even a penny, associated with getting the proper ID to vote, it becomes a poll tax which is illegal under the 15th amendment.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
September 16th, 2015 at 12:05:36 PM permalink

I, for one, was not allowed to vote in the 2008 election because when I got to the polls, my vote was already cast.

What was the outcome of that case? Did local or federal prosecutors become involved? Was any investigation ever done? Anyone brought to justice? Was there forgery in the sign-in book? None of those supposedly sitting judges ever get involved?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 16th, 2015 at 12:08:28 PM permalink

These unnecessary 'fixes' are carefully calculated to effect certain segments, the elderly and poor, in an attempt to disenfranchise what is likely to be disproportionately democratic voters.

Why are the olds and poors and people who don't have the wherewithall to get something as simple as an ID "disproportionately democratic"?

You made my mind come out of gear. I read this as an insult, yet you're a Dem. Does not compute lol
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
September 16th, 2015 at 12:12:21 PM permalink

Fixed.

What about letting people sell their vote? We should be able to walk up to the ballot box and collect money. The pols are already bought, at least they get something out of it. All we get is this cheap sticker that says, "I voted today".

If you look at it abstractly there isn't a great deal of difference between say, Trump or whoever giving out C notes for a vote and the POTUS giving out EBT, is there? Everybody votes their pocketbook.

We are going to get monkey hammered either way. One lobbyist controlled candidate is pretty much the same as the other. IMO
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 16th, 2015 at 12:15:52 PM permalink

I can support showing ID to vote. But, acquiring ID MUST be free. If there is ANY cost, even a penny, associated with getting the proper ID to vote, it becomes a poll tax which is illegal under the 15th amendment.

I see this and I say "Yes. This is a reasonable argument." There is no room to argue.

Yet, when I want to mount a Ma Deuce to my truck, suddenly the same argument doesn't hold water.

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
September 16th, 2015 at 12:43:05 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

What was the outcome of that case? Did local or federal prosecutors become involved? Was any investigation ever done? Anyone brought to justice? Was there forgery in the sign-in book? None of those supposedly sitting judges ever get involved?

Who said I brought a case up? The legal fees alone weren't worth it.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish

• Jump to: