25 votes (51.02%)
4 votes (8.16%)

49 members have voted

JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
May 17th, 2013 at 1:53:39 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

...or the Eagles. Lots of people would probably name Van Halen too.

I bet Arrowsmith would edge out Van Halen in a poll. Best American band is tough to answer because none of them are close the the elite British bands. I would say Hendrix unless he doesn't count as a band. The Doors, Crosby Stills Nash and Young?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
Headlock
Headlock
  • Threads: 22
May 17th, 2013 at 1:58:38 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Best American band is tough to answer because none of them are close the the elite British bands.

Exactly. And it's hard to identify just a few American bands that have distanced themselves from the (American) pack.
JimRockford
JimRockford
May 17th, 2013 at 2:04:48 PM permalink
Quote: Headlock

it's the Rolling Stones, the Who and Led Zeppelin, not in that order, and no other band is even close.

The Beatles belong on that list.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 17th, 2013 at 2:42:27 PM permalink
The Pixies. Best. American. Band. Ever.

No, I don't expect anyone to agree with me...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
tgarrettcpa
tgarrettcpa
  • Threads: 2
May 17th, 2013 at 2:43:19 PM permalink
It's:

Led Zep
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Pink Floyd
Cream
Rolling Stones

In that order
Headlock
Headlock
May 17th, 2013 at 2:49:58 PM permalink

Man, I love the Beatles. They have so many great songs. I Saw Her Standing There is a great rock and roll song, but Penny Lane is not rock and roll to my ears. I just can't put them in the same category of rock as the others. Maybe because their career was so short. If they had continued into the 70's like the Who and the Stones, who knows?

"Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees."
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
May 17th, 2013 at 3:01:23 PM permalink

Amen.
They were a foursome band, and while innovative (Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, Magical Mystery tour, The White Album, Abbey Road) they can be heard on classic vinyl stations. And a lot of their early stuff was 100% rocking rock & roll (Meet the Beatles, Twist and Shout) .
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
zippyboy
zippyboy
May 17th, 2013 at 5:11:14 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I am really interested in Kansas v. Styx if anyone has an opinion on that.

Kansas was out of this world and would be my choice mainly because of, "The Wall," and, "Cheyenne Anthem."

The Wall has just about the best lyrics ever written. Great tune too. I've seen Kansas a couple times and I think they're better in the studio than live. Their "Two for the Show" live album was badly recorded.

Chicago used to be another great rockin' band in their early days up till about Chicago VIII. After Terry Kath killed himself and Peter Cetera took the band in the falsetto, love song, commercial-hit direction, their rockin' ways ended. Same can be said for Genesis. Peter Gabriel left and Phil Collins ruined what used to be a fantastic sound. Ditto for Kevin Cronin ruining REO Speedwagon in the early 80s. Kansas kinda faded away by the early 90s though. Thing is with Kansas....the hits everyone associates with Kansas (Carry on wayward son, Dust in the Wind for example) weren't even their best songs, not by a long shot IMO. Lot of their music was too long for album-oriented radio play. "Song for America" and "Magnum Opus" immediately come to mind.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Headlock
Headlock
May 17th, 2013 at 5:20:59 PM permalink
Listening to Classic Vinyl on XM, Roundabout by Yes just came on. Does anyone make great music like this anymore?
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
May 17th, 2013 at 6:15:26 PM permalink

I am really interested in Kansas v. Styx if anyone has an opinion on that.

That was my first concert, Kansas opening for Styx at Star Lake Ampitheatre. I want to say 1996, but it may have been 1997. I think 1996 because I believe I was twelve years old at that concert, maybe June. Kansas was out of this world and would be my choice mainly because of, "The Wall," and, "Cheyenne Anthem."

M146:

Ummmm.... So that isn't a joke ? Well to each his own, I don't care too
much for either one of them. But I'm sure I like a song or two they have.

- Stray CATS vs CAT Stevens ?

- Won't You Take me to FUNKY Town vs Play that FUNKY Music White Boy
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 17th, 2013 at 7:00:04 PM permalink

A question I ofter ponder is, who are the best American rock and roll bands?

In some cases there are people who if they had chosen to be part of a group probably would've left a whole string of memorable rock band discography. Especially if they had paired with at least one other talented creator.

Billy Joel comes to mind -- a guy who's written quite a few songs. Perhaps tempered with a more progressive rock minded artist it would be something different produced for most of his career. Not that he wasn't successful, just possible it could have been different material.

In some cases you get solo artists that are successful ex band members -- I suppose Sting really didn't get much from his trio, and setting out on his own didn't seem to make much difference in what he was making.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 17th, 2013 at 7:14:58 PM permalink

A question I ofter ponder is, who are the best American rock and roll bands?

I don’t know about “rock and roll”. Much like Floyd, they have a sound that you can try to pigeon hole, be it funk, punk, rock, whatever, but they definitely have their own sound. They will go down as one of the best bands of all time, and they still put out quality, uncompromised albums to this day.

I am talking, of course, about the Red Hott Chili Peppers.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
May 18th, 2013 at 6:35:28 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

The Wall has just about the best lyrics ever written. Great tune too. I've seen Kansas a couple times and I think they're better in the studio than live. Their "Two for the Show" live album was badly recorded.

Chicago used to be another great rockin' band in their early days up till about Chicago VIII. After Terry Kath killed himself and Peter Cetera took the band in the falsetto, love song, commercial-hit direction, their rockin' ways ended. Same can be said for Genesis. Peter Gabriel left and Phil Collins ruined what used to be a fantastic sound. Ditto for Kevin Cronin ruining REO Speedwagon in the early 80s. Kansas kinda faded away by the early 90s though. Thing is with Kansas....the hits everyone associates with Kansas (Carry on wayward son, Dust in the Wind for example) weren't even their best songs, not by a long shot IMO. Lot of their music was too long for album-oriented radio play. "Song for America" and "Magnum Opus" immediately come to mind.

I agree 100% with everything said in this post. I also think if they would focus more on performing well live as opposed to showmanship, they might be better off. It's pretty difficult to sing when you are out of breath after playing your keyboard while hand standing on it.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 18th, 2013 at 8:03:31 AM permalink
R.E.M. Or Nirvana should be on the best U.S. bands list for influence alone.

Definitely not the f-cking Eagles!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
May 18th, 2013 at 8:46:18 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

R.E.M. Or Nirvana should be on the best U.S. bands list for influence alone.

Definitely not the f-cking Eagles!

You can tell from the posts in this thread that almost everyones favorite music will be from their teen years. This has always been true since the invention of the phonograph and radio when people gained access to music on demand. It was true for my grandparents that loved the old WWI songs. My parents loved the big band music. I remember my mother when rock'n'roll was first emerging telling me that although she liked some of the music she was sure it wouldn't have the staying power of the music she grew up with, everyone on this forum of any age could probably have said that about the music they grew up with as a new generation of performers emerged.

You shouldn't be quite so hard on the Eagles teddy. When they first started they created a new genre 'country rock', the name was coined for their music. If influence is one of your main criteria that should qualify them for your list.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
May 18th, 2013 at 9:34:05 AM permalink
Quote: kenarman

You can tell from the posts in this thread that almost everyones favorite music will be from their teen years.

Fighting BS one post at a time!
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
May 19th, 2013 at 7:44:50 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

That is so very true. And it's also ironic that many adults today like to trash rap music the same way the WWII generation trashed rock & roll.

I have no idea, I'll listen to the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000-Present music and will listen to the following genres:

Classic Rock
Hard Rock
Punk Rock
Heavy Metal
Death Metal
Electronic
Southern Rock
Country
Reggae
Alternative

Basically, anything that's not rap...except old school rap, which is fine. I'll also listen to Classical Music, but that's not from the 70's-Today.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
rxwine
rxwine
May 19th, 2013 at 10:49:18 AM permalink
I don't know enough about rap or some other possible newer genres, but mostly 90% of everthing produced is crap anyway isn't it?

All that will be sorted out, and most likely some will survive.

One day, the they'll point to Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff -- the pinnacle of the art.

Ha, that's a joke. Or maybe not. I sure don't know.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TropicalElectri
TropicalElectri
  • Threads: 4
May 19th, 2013 at 10:55:36 AM permalink
I havent seen Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits mentiond. I happened to see a youtube video of him playing Romeo and Juliet. It was one one the most beautiful love songs I have ever seen. He uses a Steel Guitar and he can speak right to your heart.
In their day, they had some of the best rock and roll songs of all time yet most people would never recognize any of them in public.
One Day at a Time
Switch
Switch
May 19th, 2013 at 11:19:17 AM permalink
Quote: TropicalElectri

I havent seen Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits mentiond. I happened to see a youtube video of him playing Romeo and Juliet. It was one one the most beautiful love songs I have ever seen. He uses a Steel Guitar and he can speak right to your heart.
In their day, they had some of the best rock and roll songs of all time yet most people would never recognize any of them in public.

Fully agree with that ... 'Telegraph Road' is another excellent song with great harmonies.
TropicalElectri
TropicalElectri
  • Threads: 4
May 19th, 2013 at 12:00:46 PM permalink
http://youtu.be/gjJzlIedCuo
Here is a video of telegraph road. Just fantistic!!
As I watch his fingers playing, he makes it look so easy.
Can you imagine if he could learn dice control??? Just kidding!!
One Day at a Time
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
May 19th, 2013 at 6:16:50 PM permalink
Floyd/Zep is a classic dichotomy: it's Apollonian vs Dionysian. Head music vs feet music. You aren't really comparing bands, you're comparing artistic goals. For my money, I've always preferred to move my feet. I like the trippy stuff too, I don't limit myself to one or the other, but I return to the rhythms more often.

I've been on an Elizabeth Cook run lately, I can't get enough.

A falling knife has no handle.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
May 19th, 2013 at 6:35:51 PM permalink
lets not ignorhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsOkqdRHhoc
Headlock
Headlock
May 19th, 2013 at 6:47:48 PM permalink
I can hardly wait to see Fleetwood Mac in Denver on June 1. Even without Christine McVie they are AMAZING. I think Lindsey Buckingham is an underrated guitar player, he really rocks Go Your Own Way. If any of you young readers have not heard Rumours, beg borrow steal or buy it, every song on the album is great.

Fleetwood Mac started in the 60's as a British blues band and they had quite a successful career, but really became huge when Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
May 19th, 2013 at 6:54:51 PM permalink
They're doing the huge venues. I'm a bit long in the tooth to share with 30000 friends. They should be doing Ceasars. Where's Christine?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
May 19th, 2013 at 7:15:16 PM permalink
The title of this thread made me think of a comment Justin Timberlake recently made. He basically said, "If Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd can do 10-minute songs, why can't I?"

Do you really want to hear the answer, Justin? lol...
Boney526
Boney526
  • Threads: 8
May 19th, 2013 at 8:11:11 PM permalink
Zeppelin, hands down. Pink Floyd is great, but I just don't think they compare in influence (in the industry.) In that regard, it's not even close, IMO.

However, I also like Zeppelin more. That's just personal preference, but they're easily my favorite band.
zippyboy
zippyboy
May 19th, 2013 at 8:22:03 PM permalink

I have no idea, I'll listen to the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000-Present music and will listen to the following genres:

Classic Rock
Hard Rock
Punk Rock
Heavy Metal
Death Metal
Electronic
Southern Rock
Country
Reggae
Alternative

Basically, anything that's not rap...except old school rap, which is fine. I'll also listen to Classical Music, but that's not from the 70's-Today.

Yeah, I agree here. I've always listened to modern music regardless of decade. It's all over the radio or a while, then we move on to the next big thing. I've never understood (even openly mocked) anyone who gets "stuck" in their high school years. How long can one listen to the same Zeppelin songs ferchrissake? They were great at the time, but geez....move on people. Do those people also watch the exact same movies over and over for decades? I just don't get it.

The way music is made has changed much in the last 12 years or so. "Performers" don't need to play an instrument anymore, or even sing well. It can all be corrected in the studio with ProTools and AutoTune. Cher's "Believe" was the first to utilize AutoTune, but now every act does it. They have to. Acts like Ke$ha, Nikki Minaj and Lady Gaga wouldn't have a career without it. You got highschoolers in their basements creating songs on their laptops and uploading to SoundCloud for a worldwide audience and bypassing the labels. I love electronic acts now like David Guetta, Deadmau5, Skrillix and others, but they cannot duplicate that sound onstage, coz it's just one guy! It's bo-o-o-ring onstage. I just watched a David Guetta concert on Palladia and was so disappointed. Just David onstage with a couple turntables and a laptop-full of prerecorded music, and he's pumping his arms to the beat like he's doing something special. You hear drums, but of course there's no drums anywhere. I loved Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk when they came out, but their shows are the same way. Studio versions=excellent. Live=not so much. But that's just the way music is evolving. Not necessarily worse, just different, just like online music delivery systems vs. LPs, car engine technology, food production, phones, etc.

Now....rap music. Those guys can spit verse quick, but can't carry a tune. Most don't play an instrument. But my hatred of rap comes from the core being all negativity. It's all "Smack my bitch" this...and "Fuck da police" that, nigga, pop a cap in yo ass, suck the crackpipe and on and on and on. It's wannabe gangsters trying to use nastiness to rise from the ghetto. Then white suburban boys thought it was "badder" than other genres, and gave it credibility and staying power. Too bad. Elvis didn't do that to WW2 parents, Zeppelin didn't do that for 50's parents. Rappers all rap about violence, and they get shot down in the street for it (Tupak, 50 Cent, etc, even that loser who was shot in his Maserati on the strip a couple months ago)...good riddance to the trashiest musical genre ever to come out of a studio. Shame on the suits for greedily promoting it to our youth.
rxwine
rxwine
May 19th, 2013 at 9:05:23 PM permalink

Now....rap music. Those guys can spit verse quick, but can't carry a tune. Most don't play an instrument. But my hatred of rap comes from the core being all negativity. It's all "Smack my bitch" this...and "Fuck da police" that, nigga, pop a cap in yo ass, suck the crackpipe and on and on and on. It's wannabe gangsters trying to use nastiness to rise from the ghetto. Then white suburban boys thought it was "badder" than other genres, and gave it credibility and staying power. Too bad. Elvis didn't do that to WW2 parents, Zeppelin didn't do that for 50's parents. Rappers all rap about violence, and they get shot down in the street for it (Tupak, 50 Cent, etc, even that loser who was shot in his Maserati on the strip a couple months ago)...good riddance to the trashiest musical genre ever to come out of a studio. Shame on the suits for greedily promoting it to our youth.

But there was a moral doom predicted by drug culture, free love from the rock & roll too. And drugs certainly killed off musicians and the fans who followed them or turned them into ex-junkies.

Musicians were using drugs in the fifities, but in rock n' roll, there was more promotion of the lifestle, and the tune out, turn on, of the counterculture of the 60s and onward. Bands of the ilk of Black Sabbath were promoting evil, as far as many relgious organizations were concerned.

Just like rock though, rap doesn't corrupt all who listen to it.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
May 19th, 2013 at 9:06:25 PM permalink

Classic Rock
Hard Rock
Punk Rock
Heavy Metal
Death Metal
Electronic
Southern Rock
Country
Reggae
Alternative

I listen to, and enjoy, almost any genre as well mission. I will turn-off gangsta rap and do have trouble getting into modern jazz, have no problem with traditional jazz. But there is still something about the music from teen years that is almost visceral and I know I'm not alone on that.

My earliest musical memory is still also very strong. I would have been about 6 years old and it was pre TV in western Canada. My mom used to put on a kids radio show for me that had 'Teddy Bear's Picnic' as it's theme song. That song can still turn into a worm for me 60 years later.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
May 19th, 2013 at 9:30:42 PM permalink

...good riddance to the trashiest musical genre ever to come out of a studio. Shame on the suits for greedily promoting it to our youth.

Ironically, that's exactly what the Sinatra lovers said about rock music. I'm not a huge fan of rap myself, but saying that rap music is "all negative" is just as ignorant as those in the WWII generation who said that rock music was "all about sex & drugs".
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
May 19th, 2013 at 9:48:48 PM permalink
He reminds me of Biz Markey singing he`s just a friend
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
May 19th, 2013 at 10:39:43 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

He reminds me of Biz Markey singing he`s just a friend

LOL
zippyboy
zippyboy
May 19th, 2013 at 11:13:48 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

I listen to, and enjoy, ... 'Teddy Bear's Picnic' ... That song can still turn into a worm for me 60 years later.

I love Teddy Bear's Picnic! Tough song to sing in the car though....continuous singing, no time to catch a breath. Try it.
rxwine
rxwine
May 20th, 2013 at 6:30:08 PM permalink
Someone just posted this excellent video/audio quality of the Doors. I don't know if it's related to death of Ray Manzarek. It must be direct from tape, because this is like HD quality.

Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
  • Threads: 7
May 20th, 2013 at 8:22:10 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Someone just posted this excellent video/audio quality of the Doors. I don't know if it's related to death of Ray Manzarek. It must be direct from tape, because this is like HD quality.

You beat me to it rxwine, I was just about to comment that not too many have talked about the doors, R.I.P. Ray Manzarek, one of the iconic sounds of the Doors was his keyboard work in the beginning of "Light my fire"
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake" Edward Norton (Rounders)
  • Jump to: