25 votes (51.02%)
4 votes (8.16%)

49 members have voted

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
May 15th, 2013 at 8:10:10 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

And then you ahve the one hit wonders like Men at Work, Foreigner, Scorpions, Cheap Trick, etc.

But they're not really one-hit wonders, although they all royally suck (except for Men at Work). A cool acoustic version of Overkill.

Now A-ha, Thomas Dolby, Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, Toni Basil.....that's a different story. Haha
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
May 15th, 2013 at 9:06:48 AM permalink

RUSH?

But, ok, 80s:

Pat Benatar (Shadows of the Night)
Joan Jett (Roadrunner)
The Bangles (Manic Monday)
The Go Gos (Our Lips Are Sealed)
Meatloaf (don't you love this guy?)
Madonna (Open Your Heart)

And then you ahve the one hit wonders like Men at Work, Foreigner, Scorpions, Cheap Trick, etc.

One prominent group, not mentioned so far, that was from the 80's, has to be 'Queen'. Their classic hit 'Bohemian Rhapsody' has to rank as one of the best pop releases ever. Not to mention the multitude of other hits that they had.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
May 15th, 2013 at 9:07:05 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

But they're not really one-hit wonders, although they all royally suck (except for Men at Work).

Surprised you feel that way about these groups.

But OK then, how about ELO? ;-)
Switch
Switch
May 15th, 2013 at 9:08:20 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

But OK then, how about ELO? ;-)

Personally, ELO are another classic group from that era.

I was going to add them to my post above along with David Bowie.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
May 15th, 2013 at 9:37:55 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Never once have I let another person nearly chase me from this forum. This comment is the closest anyone's ever come. "Close one"? Are ye mad?! lol ;)

1 - Alan Jackson vs Randy Travis
2 - George Jones (RIP) vs George Strait
3 - Waylon Jennings vs Shooter Jennings
4 - Hank Williams Sr vs Hank Williams Jr vs Hank Williams III
5 - Travis Tritt vs Joe Diffie
6 - Merle Haggard vs David Allan Coe
7 - Willy Nelson vs It Doesn't Matter Cuz No One Beats Ol' Willy

1) Randy Travis
2) George Jones
3) shit, tie. Probably Waylon, but Shooter is the real deal.
4) Sr, because legend.
5) Don't care for either
6) Merle Haggard
7) no argument, class of his own.
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 9:41:29 AM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Oh...and just a few more, for SUPER Bonus points.....
Serious memory lane:

1. Crosby, Stills, & Nash versus Emerson, Lake and Palmer

2. Carole King PLUS James Tailor vs. Joni Mitchell (gotta think about that one....It's gonna take some time THIS time....)

3. The Monkees vs. Paul Rever and the Raiders

4. Dionne Warwick vs. Herb Alpert and the tijuana brass

5. [Monster Points] The Smithereens vs. The Tubes

6. Temptations vs. the Four Tops

7. Curtis Mayfield vs. Otis Redding [sounds like a boxing match, but isn't]

...someone find me a music forum....we skipped the 80's........

1) CSN
2) Man. I've never cared for Joni, but there's no denying the greatness. I'll give it to Carole King, with or without James Taylor.
3) The Monkees had Boyce and Hart in their corner.
4) Dionne
5) White punks behind a wall of sleep.
6) Temps
7) Tie, slight edge to Mayfield maybe.
Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 9:45:45 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I was gonna suggest LRB vs. Atlanta Rhythm Section

Billy Joel vs. Elton John?
Joe Satriani vs Steve Vai?
Keith Emerson vs Rick Wakeman vs. Chick Corea?
Yes vs. ELP?
Jimi Hendrix vs. Stevie Ray Vaughan?
Stanley Clarke vs Steve Howe?
Rihanna vs. Katy Perry vs. Avril Lavigne vs. Beyonce vs. countless others?
Steely Dan vs. Alan Parsons? both studio bands with almost no live presence
early Genesis (up to Duke) vs. early Supertramp (up to Breakfast in America) vs. early Reo Speedwagon (up to tuna fish)?
deadmau5 vs. David Guetta?
Allman Bros vs. Marshall Tucker vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd?
Tangerine Dream vs. Vangelis vs. Danny Elfman?
on and on and on and on......

1) Elton
2) Don't like either of them
3) Chick Corea
4) Yes
5) Hendrix
6) Clarke
7)
8) Steely Dan (better sense of humor, Parsons has none that I could ever tell)
9) Genesis
10) you stumped me on this one, I don't know either artist
11) Allman Brothers, because I'm older. A little younger and I'd probably pick Skynyrd, they really kicked ass.
12) Tangerine Dream
and on and on and on...
Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 9:49:22 AM permalink

What? No one but me likes Country? =p

1 - Ugh. PJ because I have memories with "Black"
2 - Oasis because British
3 - Emo?
4 - Please ignore the previous 3 because Henry Rollins all by himself consumes everything else you have just posted. He's on my Top 3 People I'd Ever Wanna Meet list.

Hand up here... I don't like the kind of country that is the equivalent of pop's top 40, but you can't tear me away from XM 60 Outlaw Country. I have one HUGE music-crush on Elizabeth Cook.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 15th, 2013 at 9:59:27 AM permalink

Nirvana is simply played too much. It's been burnt out so far I don't think it'll ever come back (for me, of course)

I can always soak away my rage by playing Smell Like Teen Spirit full blast. Timeless song for me for the fear energy.

Quote:

Oasis is British British ;)

Oasis is Northern Lad british, Blur is southern, metro-sexual lad British.

Quote:

I figured not Emo lol. Just messing with you

MBV : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0dJqlvOSq4 - beautiful shoe gazing noise. Most emo bands wish they could be as awesome as My Bloody Valentine.
The Stone Roses : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD6Pq0bSMPo - before oasis and blur, there was the Roses.

The 90's indie scene in the UK had alot more jangle in it that music does today.

Quote:

Honestly, I'd have trouble id'ing a Black Flag song. Henry Rollins is just badass and interesting as hell

Black Flag were more raw, more British Punk for me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsbvo5GVK10
Bad Religion added harmony and tunes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYDulMYVj1U

Greg Graffin and Henry Rollins are two sides of the same coin.... I find them both fascinating.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 10:02:48 AM permalink

RUSH?

But, ok, 80s:

Pat Benatar (Shadows of the Night)
Joan Jett (Roadrunner)
The Bangles (Manic Monday)
The Go Gos (Our Lips Are Sealed)
Meatloaf (don't you love this guy?)
Madonna (Open Your Heart)

I saw both Joan Jett and The Bangles live; both shows were awesome, but Joan Jett was one of the greatest rock shows I've ever seen. She's about 4'10" and plays like she's 10 feet tall. It was a small club in Pittsburgh, The Gazebo, early '80s. It was sheer joy, loud and fast and really, really good.

The Bangles show was filmed and is available on Youtube. They are possibly one of the most underrated pop acts of the '80s. They were truly excellent.

We had a chance to see Pat Benatar just a couple years ago, coincidentally we had comped tickets at Mohegan Sun! I don't remember why we missed her. But from that same series of shows we saw Foreigner and Huey Lewis and the News. Both shows were really good.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
May 15th, 2013 at 10:08:56 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

But they're not really one-hit wonders, although they all royally suck (except for Men at Work).

Surprised you feel that way about these groups.

You're right...I guess 'suck' is a bit too strong a word for those bands.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
May 15th, 2013 at 10:14:02 AM permalink

Regardless of how you voted, isn't it sad how music has gone from Zeppelin and Floyd to Bieber and Gaga?

It's as if Peter Lemongello never existed.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 15th, 2013 at 12:06:36 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

She's about 4'10" and plays like she's 10 feet tall.

She sings like that, too.

Quote:

The Bangles show was filmed and is available on Youtube. They are possibly one of the most underrated pop acts of the '80s. They were truly excellent.

The Bangles had great lyrics. Many of their songs can move me to tears if I'm in the right mood. Like "Lost at Sea" or the better known "Eternal Flame."

Quote:

We had a chance to see Pat Benatar just a couple years ago, coincidentally we had comped tickets at Mohegan Sun! I don't remember why we missed her.

If I ever miss a chance to hear her sing "We Belong" live, I'd better have a damn good reason ;)

Oh, others from that time worth mentioning:

Laura Brannigan (may she rest in peace)
Juice Newton
Heart
Bonnie Tyler (she does have another song "Here She Comes.")
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 15th, 2013 at 12:29:29 PM permalink

I hope we're never in a long car ride together ;)

1) Randy Travis
2) George Jones
3) shit, tie. Probably Waylon, but Shooter is the real deal.
4) Sr, because legend.
5) Don't care for either
6) Merle Haggard
7) no argument, class of his own.

Ahh! I take it all back! We'd get along jus' fah'n =D

Mostly agree with your "thumbs down" of today's Country. There are a few gems from a few folks, but rarely anything worth putting on an iPod. Still, I'd rather have Pop Country than just "Pop".

Shooter's song "Lonesome Blues" has me completely hooked currently. Can't help but crank it and sing my heart out. Even at work, I don't care. Deal with it =p lol

And I'd almost agree about Sr., but Hank III took that spot for me. He has that same nasally twang as his granddad, but a lot more edge. TBH, much of his stuff I'd not link here out of decency, I mean it's real edgy. However, he has that old soul sound, and combined with the voice and added "outlaw-ism", he's been my top guy for a while now. Here's two great examples of fantastic country songs, some of the few of his I can post and stay within the rules ;)....

(and to vendman, I wasn't talking the bubbly Pop nonsense. This here's Real Man Music ;) )

Wayne "The Train" Hancock is right up there, too. Just listen to this song and tell me it doesn't take you to the back of a horse, moseying on down somewhere in the desert of the American southwest...

This here is music. It's not that "empty calorie" garbage you find on the radio. These songs are experiences, they're a full course meal for the mind and soul. If you can't find anything good to say about these (looking at you, vendman ;)), then there is simply no hope for you lol
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
JimRockford
JimRockford
May 15th, 2013 at 1:47:01 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Zep is the greatest rock n roll band ever.

No question! It needed to be said. Jack Black said it categorically.

Jack Black Introduces Led Zeppelin at the Kennedy Center Honors

Quote: terapined

Its really apples and oranges. Who's to say who is better, musical beauty is in the ear of the beholder. I love both bands, I also love the Monkees.

Don't back peddle. You had it right the first time.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 2:38:53 PM permalink

Ahh! I take it all back! We'd get along jus' fah'n =D

Mostly agree with your "thumbs down" of today's Country. There are a few gems from a few folks, but rarely anything worth putting on an iPod. Still, I'd rather have Pop Country than just "Pop".

Shooter's song "Lonesome Blues" has me completely hooked currently. Can't help but crank it and sing my heart out. Even at work, I don't care. Deal with it =p lol

And I'd almost agree about Sr., but Hank III took that spot for me. He has that same nasally twang as his granddad, but a lot more edge. TBH, much of his stuff I'd not link here out of decency, I mean it's real edgy. However, he has that old soul sound, and combined with the voice and added "outlaw-ism", he's been my top guy for a while now. Here's two great examples of fantastic country songs, some of the few of his I can post and stay within the rules ;)....

This here is music. It's not that "empty calorie" garbage you find on the radio. These songs are experiences, they're a full course meal for the mind and soul. If you can't find anything good to say about these (looking at you, vendman ;)), then there is simply no hope for you lol

Oh hell yeah.

You'd love Townes Van Zandt; he's the guy who wrote "Pancho and Lefty", one of the greatest songs of all time. John Hiatt is on tour with Lyle Lovett; he wrote probably a few dozen hits for other people. Lucinda Williams, Bonnie Raitt, and Buddy Guy all covered "Feels Like Rain".

I picked Hank Sr because legend, but the other two are both on the shuffle play. Actually I like Sr's songs, but those late 40s production values are hard to listen to. Give me George Thorogood's "Move it on Over" every time.

Wayne Hancock? ABSOLUTELY. How about Butch Hancock?

Face
Administrator
Face
May 15th, 2013 at 3:36:33 PM permalink

Oh hell yeah.

Yes! Yes to everything! lol I knew there had to be someone here with sense and great taste ;)

As for the formatting, cut/copy the address like normal. It'll look like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-esGb7Jw_Q

Snip the beginning so your code starts with the "Y" in "YouTube", then snip the middle so it reads "youtube=...", like so...

"youtube=e-esGb7Jw_Q"

Replace quotation marks with brackets and you get...

Lookey that! Another great Hank III song!!

Enjoy ;)
Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 3:41:45 PM permalink
Thanks, Face!

Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 6:25:12 PM permalink
LOL, I'm such a threadkiller.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 15th, 2013 at 6:28:08 PM permalink

LOL, I'm such a threadkiller.

I just assumed people were blown away by the fare we've supplied =)
Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 7:47:11 PM permalink
I'm away for the next few days, checking in only sporadically through mobile devices. Put some good stuff up and I'll see it next week.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
May 15th, 2013 at 7:49:33 PM permalink

Regardless of how you voted, isn't it sad how music has gone from Zeppelin and Floyd to Bieber and Gaga?

well who were the top artists in the mid 70's?

billboard top singles:
1976 Wings - Silly Love Songs
1975 Captain and Tennille - Love Will Keep Us Together
1974 Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were
1973 Tony Orlando and Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Ole Oak Tree

Some things never change.

(bonus points if you can name a connection between one of the above artists and pink floyd)
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
May 15th, 2013 at 8:06:22 PM permalink
I brought this subject up at the poker table recently....that all the very best rock bands were British. I mean, I thought it was overwhelmingly obvious:

Stones, Beatles, Who, Genesis, Clapton, Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Yes, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, David Bowie, Elton John, ELO, ELP, King Crimson, Queen, Asia, Fleetwood Mac, on and on and on to infinity..... not even mentioning all the lesser bands like Mott the Hoople, Turtles, Monkees and such. I mean, can anyone even come up with a single Brazillian band? Or South African? Britian completely ruled. They're still dominating with recent bands like Coldplay, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, Blur, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Radiohead, and on and on and on.

One guy couldn't believe I could forget Motown, and all the Seattle grunge, LA bands like Chili Peppers and Black Eyed Peas, Chicago Transit Authority, 80's hair metal (complete crap IMO), even though they had a substantial presence. I still think Britain dominated. Anyone disagree? It's overwhelming the bands coming out of that island. It can't be coincidence. Sure....rap comes from America. Who the fuck cares? That's embarrassing.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 8:10:05 PM permalink
Face, I've been posting those solo wails; changing it up, here's one of my band-kicking-ass favorites. We saw Steve Earle and Allison Moorer last year, they kicked ass. This is from about 15 years ago, right after he kicked dope.

Mosca
Mosca
May 15th, 2013 at 8:37:05 PM permalink

I brought this subject up at the poker table recently....that all the very best rock bands were British. I mean, I thought it was overwhelmingly obvious:

Stones, Beatles, Who, Genesis, Clapton, Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Yes, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, David Bowie, Elton John, ELO, ELP, King Crimson, Queen, Asia, Fleetwood Mac, on and on and on to infinity..... not even mentioning all the lesser bands like Mott the Hoople, Turtles, Monkees and such. I mean, can anyone even come up with a single Brazillian band? Or South African? Britian completely ruled. They're still dominating with recent bands like Coldplay, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, Blur, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Radiohead, and on and on and on.

One guy couldn't believe I could forget Motown, and all the Seattle grunge, LA bands like Chili Peppers and Black Eyed Peas, Chicago Transit Authority, 80's hair metal (complete crap IMO), even though they had a substantial presence. I still think Britain dominated. Anyone disagree? It's overwhelming the bands coming out of that island. It can't be coincidence. Sure....rap comes from America. Who the fuck cares? That's embarrassing.

First: I love music, and I don't draw lines. It's not a competition, other than to keep peeps feets moving.

All the bands you mention derive from a handful of American acts. Even The Beatles: George Harrison's exact words were, "We were just tryin to get the sound of Buddy out." You want to know why we got Revolver and Sergeant Pepper? Because Paul and John heard "Good Vibrations". The Stones, as great as they are, have only a fraction of the power of Howlin Wolf in his prime. Jagger's dancing? He didn't want to go on after James Brown at the T.A.M.I. Show. James was pissed that he wasn't headlining, and pulled out all the stops.

I'm not saying all those bands you love aren't great. I'm saying that it's a lot more complicated than just ranking music. Laugh at Fat Elvis, but that fucker still sang "Mystery Train" like he was possessed. In the 50s.

And by the way, The Monkees were a US act. And so were The Turtles, Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman, aka Flo and Eddie of The Mothers of Invention.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
May 15th, 2013 at 9:00:01 PM permalink
Quote: paisiello

well who were the top artists in the mid 70's?

billboard top singles:
1976 Wings - Silly Love Songs
1975 Captain and Tennille - Love Will Keep Us Together
1974 Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were
1973 Tony Orlando and Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Ole Oak Tree

That's very true. The 70's certainly had its share of duds, although McCartney (Wings) and Streisand are head & shoulders above the other two when you consider their entire body of work. But I just can't think of any bands over the past 10 years or so that might someday achieve 'legendary' status the way Zep or Floyd has. I'd love to look back someday and say that I was wrong though.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
May 15th, 2013 at 9:03:37 PM permalink

He didn't want to go on after James Brown at the T.A.M.I. Show. James was pissed that he wasn't headlining, and pulled out all the stops.

Ah, James Brown. No one could put on a show like that guy!
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 15th, 2013 at 11:03:36 PM permalink
Brazilian Band : Sepultura - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsR3PUdNrNk (Roots Bloody Roots). Metal. 20 million Units sold.

South African Band : Die Antwoord - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cegdR0GiJl4 (Enter the Ninja, explicit version). Zef counter culture Rap. Couple million units sold.

Next question?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 16th, 2013 at 12:40:05 AM permalink

Sure....rap comes from America. Who the fuck cares? That's embarrassing.

Well, there's jazz & blues.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
May 16th, 2013 at 5:46:30 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Now, can we compare:

Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam
Oasis vs. Blur
The Stone Roses vs. My Bloody Valentine
Bad Religion vs. Black Flag

Now I'd be interested...

Pearl Jam
Blur
Death
Bad F****ing Religion

Now who is the better of:

Kansas v. Styx
Mustaine v. Hammett
Mustaine v. Hetfield (Guitars Only)
Rob Zombie v. Danzig
Behemoth v. Helloween

BONUS:

The Cranberries v. Garbage
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 16th, 2013 at 10:17:29 AM permalink

--- That's like asking Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning. Poo sandwich or Steak-frites. Me or Babe Ruth. A 5 year old chimp or Vincent Van Gogh.

There is no comparison. One had a brief career of hits with a whimsical set of songs, and bloody annoying now.The other has continued to release excellent records for years.

Garbage, and any other vote is like choosing the other option in Johnny Cash versus.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 16th, 2013 at 11:00:46 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

--- That's like asking Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning. Poo sandwich or Steak-frites. Me or Babe Ruth. A 5 year old chimp or Vincent Van Gogh.

There is no comparison. One had a brief career of hits with a whimsical set of songs, and bloody annoying now.The other has continued to release excellent records for years.

Garbage, and any other vote is like choosing the other option in Johnny Cash versus.

Ha!

I don't even care about the opinions themselves anymore. I'm just loving the level and the ways that the passion is expressed in this thread =)

BTW, "My Favorite Game" is awesome \m/
thecesspit
thecesspit
May 16th, 2013 at 11:23:36 AM permalink

Ha!

I don't even care about the opinions themselves anymore. I'm just loving the level and the ways that the passion is expressed in this thread =)

BTW, "My Favorite Game" is awesome \m/

That's the Cardigans. I think you knew that though,...

Now, Nina Persson is supremely talented, and also gorgeous. The album 'Long Gone before Daylight' is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Her side project 'A-Camp' was also fantastic (Colonia's 'Stronger than jesus' is snarky, pop brilliance). Plus, I may have a little crush on her.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
May 16th, 2013 at 4:19:20 PM permalink
Any Rust Belt / North Coast / Heartland dwellers out there ?

Michael Stanley vs Donnie Iris ?

Donnie by a Mile. However, I think Michael Stanley is a pretty cool dude, he signed a guitar for our HS Band Boosters. But I saw DI do a CRAZY show with a full orchestra one time. VERY cool
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
JimRockford
JimRockford
May 16th, 2013 at 6:21:19 PM permalink
I love Pink Floyd, I am a fan, really. Their style, that sort of mellow intensity will never be duplicated, it can't be denied. It is also undeniable that when Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham formed a band, it was divinely ordained as the greatest rock and roll band to ever tune a guitar. Reasonable people can disagree about the feasibility of dice influence, the ethics of advantage play, how much to tip a dealer or the politeness of reclining an airline seat, but surely this collection of well rounded intelligent Vegas enthusiasts can agree that Led Zeppelin was better than Pink Floyd.

Writing from Austin, TX where Stevie ray Vaughn played for free every Thursday night at a local restaurant, where we have a downtown street named after Willie Nelson and where Robert Plant now makes his home (sometimes).
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 16th, 2013 at 6:35:10 PM permalink
pretty decent covers of Floyd and Zeppelin by the same band.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 16th, 2013 at 7:09:15 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

... but surely this collection of well rounded intelligent Vegas enthusiasts can agree that Led Zeppelin was better than Pink Floyd.

Personal insult!

J/K ;) If knowing that Floyd is better makes me dumb, then I'll be dumb and love it.

And now for some tunes for Mosca whiles he's out and about...

Sure, it's a "Boss" song, but I tell ya... Hank kicks the tar out of Springsteen here. I listened to Bruce's and didn't make it 3 verses before I wrote it off. Hank's version... it's just perfection. It even sounds like a day at AC - all happy and upbeat to begin with, only to end completely depressed. I know some here can relate =D

zippyboy
zippyboy
May 16th, 2013 at 7:29:56 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Writing from Austin, TX where Stevie ray Vaughn played for free every Thursday night at a local restaurant, where we have a downtown street named after Willie Nelson and where Robert Plant now makes his home (sometimes).

I grew up in Austin and graduated in 1982. I've seen SRV dozens of times because before he was famous, he played in the divey places we could get into being underage; Continental Club, Antone's, Soap Creek Saloon, the student union on the UT campus (I forget what it was called) and some little place off Guadalupe and 29th (not the old Antone's). He seemed to play with many soon-to-be famous bands like Angela Strehli, Louann Barton, Bonnie Raitt, and of course his brother Fabulous T-Birds. He lived out in Lakewood till 1986 or so, when he moved to Dallas.

In fact, I saw his last show in Austin when he headlined for Jeff Beck in summer of '89 (he died a month later). All of Austin was in mourning that day with even the country and jazz radio stations playing his music, and a candle-light vigil was held out at Zilker Park that night.

What was the restaurant you speak of where he played on Thursdays? Austin was (still is) a music town.
JimRockford
JimRockford
May 16th, 2013 at 7:43:17 PM permalink

I grew up in Austin and graduated in 1982. I've seen SRV dozens of times because before he was famous, he played in the divey places we could get into being underage; Continental Club, Antone's, Soap Creek Saloon, the student union on the UT campus (I forget what it was called) and some little place off Guadalupe and 29th (not the old Antone's). He seemed to play with many soon-to-be famous bands like Angela Strehli, Louann Barton, Bonnie Raitt, and of course his brother Fabulous T-Birds. He lived out in Lakewood till 1986 or so, when he moved to Dallas.

In fact, I saw his last show in Austin when he headlined for Jeff Beck in summer of '89 (he died a month later). All of Austin was in mourning that day with even the country and jazz radio stations playing his music, and a candle-light vigil was held out at Zilker Park that night.

What was the restaurant you speak of where he played on Thursdays? Austin was (still is) a music town.

The student Union venue is the Cactus Cafe. They tried to close it a couple of years ago, but a public outcry saved it.
Guadalupe and 29th is The Hole in the Wall. Sill there and still a dive but a good venue for up and coming talent
The restaurant was Threadgills. It was before my time in Austin. I think it was on Lamar at the time. It has now moved downtown.
zippyboy
zippyboy
May 16th, 2013 at 8:08:13 PM permalink
Yep, Threadgills was on North Lamar, and had the biggest collection of vintage Texas beer memorabilia anywhere around. Eddie Wilson owned it then I remember. Very impressive antique beer neons and lithos that were virtually unknown elsewhere (I was a collector).

I don't remember the Cactus Cafe....I think we just called it the student union then. Great place though since I was underage. Great arcade, bowling alley, live music venue, etc. Ahhhh, memories!
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 16th, 2013 at 10:09:21 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

I gave it to Zep by a hair. Love 'em both. Also good questions (easier):

1. Beatles vs. Stones.
2. Who vs. Jethro Tull
3. Traffic vs. Guess Who (or Cream)
4. Hendrix vs. Clapton.

Negative bonus point question:
x. Little River Band vs. England Dan and John Ford Coley.....

Only possible answer...the English rule at rock n roll!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Mosca
Mosca
May 17th, 2013 at 4:50:36 AM permalink

Personal insult!

J/K ;) If knowing that Floyd is better makes me dumb, then I'll be dumb and love it.

And now for some tunes for Mosca whiles he's out and about...

Sure, it's a "Boss" song, but I tell ya... Hank kicks the tar out of Springsteen here. I listened to Bruce's and didn't make it 3 verses before I wrote it off. Hank's version... it's just perfection. It even sounds like a day at AC - all happy and upbeat to begin with, only to end completely depressed. I know some here can relate =D

Good stuff! I hadn't heard that before. I usually hear Hank 3 on XM Outlaw Country, and that song never hit the air while I was listening. He gives it a different vibe, for sure.

We're in South Bend, our daughter is graduating from Notre Dame. I'm overwhelmed with joy.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
May 17th, 2013 at 7:22:31 AM permalink
I am really interested in Kansas v. Styx if anyone has an opinion on that.

That was my first concert, Kansas opening for Styx at Star Lake Ampitheatre. I want to say 1996, but it may have been 1997. I think 1996 because I believe I was twelve years old at that concert, maybe June. Kansas was out of this world and would be my choice mainly because of, "The Wall," and, "Cheyenne Anthem."
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 17th, 2013 at 7:29:03 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

And country / "crossover" music.
"What, me worry?"
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
May 17th, 2013 at 7:50:25 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I am really interested in Kansas v. Styx if anyone has an opinion on that.

That was my first concert, Kansas opening for Styx at Star Lake Ampitheatre. I want to say 1996, but it may have been 1997. I think 1996 because I believe I was twelve years old at that concert, maybe June. Kansas was out of this world and would be my choice mainly because of, "The Wall," and, "Cheyenne Anthem."

I've seen both, Styx numerous times and Kansas twice and I think Styx wins the rock-off
Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
  • Threads: 7
May 17th, 2013 at 10:00:35 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Very true, and most of these bands we are talking about have blues as a huge basis for their music. Definitely overlooked is the blues aspect in this discussion.

"In the poker game of life, women are the rake" Edward Norton (Rounders)
Headlock
Headlock
  • Threads: 22
May 17th, 2013 at 12:26:47 PM permalink
Plenty of interesting opinions here. Personally, I like all kinds of music but my first love is what the radio people call classic rock.

If ranking traditional 4 piece rock and roll bands, it's the Rolling Stones, the Who and Led Zeppelin, not in that order, and no other band is even close. In my opinion.

A question I ofter ponder is, who are the best American rock and roll bands?
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
May 17th, 2013 at 12:53:55 PM permalink
Quote: Headlock

Plenty of interesting opinions here. Personally, I like all kinds of music but my first love is what the radio people call classic rock.

If ranking traditional 4 piece rock and roll bands, it's the Rolling Stones, the Who and Led Zeppelin, not in that order, and no other band is even close. In my opinion.

A question I ofter ponder is, who are the best American rock and roll bands?

For innovation (at the time) and domination on the charts for several years at their peak the best US band would have to be the Beach Boys.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
May 17th, 2013 at 1:00:29 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

For innovation (at the time) and domination on the charts for several years at their peak the best US band would have to be the Beach Boys.

...or the Eagles. Lots of people would probably name Van Halen too.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
May 17th, 2013 at 1:14:06 PM permalink

...or the Eagles. Lots of people would probably name Van Halen too.

Can't argue too much with the eagles they are still probably my favorite band but I think that the Beach Boys were probably 'better' on several fronts. The Eagles also had a lot of member changes early in their career.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
  • Jump to: