Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
November 3rd, 2012 at 2:23:19 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

.the Libya thing is going to be a huge deal, I think) if Obama wins.

Some more speculation:

Quote:

Petraeus, the reputed savior of Iraq, is a hero to many of the same conservatives who have been driving the Benghazi story in an effort to burn the president. Now it seems possible that their ire could burn the general more than the president. Although Friday’s reports indicate that the CIA responded fast and aggressively as the attack unfolded, it also appears that the agency could have been more vigilant about security at the site in advance. It also seems possible that Mitt Romney fell silent on this issue because he came to understand that Petraeus is at least as politically exposed as Obama. (Bear in mind that Romney was recently granted classified national security briefings, as is the custom for major-party nominees.)

here
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
November 3rd, 2012 at 3:04:23 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

18. There is no such song as "Pomp & Circumstance." We don't care what the credits of Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted say. It is called "Land of Hope and Glory" (or, if the whole thing is played, "Pomp & Circumstance March #1", as there are five of the things), and on top of that, it has lyrics.

We sang it as:

My reindeer flies sideways
Your reindeer flies up-side-down
My reindeer flies side-ways
Your reindeer is dead
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 3rd, 2012 at 3:07:25 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Using facts to argue with Bob is not fair! He would never resort to such a tactic!

In 2008, at his last stop in Cleveland Obama
attracted 80,000 people. Today, at his last 2012
stop in Cleveland, Obama could only attract 4,000.

Don't the facts suck?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 3rd, 2012 at 3:25:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Don't the facts suck?

You try to fit 80,000 people into a high school. The 2008 crowds were spread out over a large outdoor space, and were larger than the crowd in the football stadium that day. Many Ohio dems have already voted anyway. The only crowds that count are the ones at the polling stations.

I asked my son if he could believe that 1/4 of all burglaries occurred in the summer, and he had to consider about whether or not the fact people left on vacations balanced out the fact that kids were home during the day. Then I pointed out that 1/4 of the YEAR also occurred in the summer, and he got the point: think.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
November 3rd, 2012 at 3:29:27 PM permalink

Don't the facts suck?

"Facts are stupid things" - Ronald Reagan
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 3rd, 2012 at 3:54:55 PM permalink

Don't the facts suck?

I hear that Obama's fundraising dinner with George Clooney only drew 20 people, and that had both Obama and Clooney. Oh, boy. 20 people. Obama sure must be in trouble. I bet he only wins with 20 electoral college votes to spare this time.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 4:04:08 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

You try to fit 80,000 people into a high school. The 2008 crowds were spread out over a large outdoor space,

LOL, keep on tap dancing and waving your
arms real fast, its almost working.

Why do you think it was in a HS and not
a stadium? Obama can't fill stadiums
anymore, can he. Romney can though,
and does. Sucks, huh.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 3rd, 2012 at 4:14:35 PM permalink

LOL, keep on tap dancing and waving your
arms real fast, its almost working.

Why do you think it was in a HS and not
a stadium? Obama can't fill stadiums
anymore, can he. Romney can though,
and does. Sucks, huh.

He filled the Delta Center in Milwaukee today. SRO.
But I bet most came to see Katy Perry.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:10:08 PM permalink
Uh Oh:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/barone-going-out-on-a-limb-romney-wins-handily/article/2512470
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:16:11 PM permalink

Uh Oh:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/barone-going-out-on-a-limb-romney-wins-handily/article/2512470

Okay--you might be the only person on Earth to read the Examiner! Congratulations. There's a reason it's free.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:24:35 PM permalink

Okay--you might be the only person on Earth to read the Examiner!

Michael Barone is 68 and has been in politics
a long time and has a good track record of
predicting winners. I'm sure Nate Silver,
with all his experience since what was it,
2008, has a better chance though. You
can't trust those old guys with the cred,
what the heck do they know...
oscar33
oscar33
  • Threads: 10
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:30:03 PM permalink

Michael Barone is 68 and has been in politics
a long time and has a good track record of
predicting winners. I'm sure Nate Silver,
with all his experience since what was it,
2008, has a better chance though. You
can't trust those old guys with the cred,
what the heck do they know...

If he was old and fat, would you still trust him?

Oscar
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:37:17 PM permalink
Quote: oscar33

If he was old and fat, would you still trust him?

Oscar

I'm blocking you Oscar, all your posts in this
thread are directed at me and none of them
are worthy of a reply. Buh bye...
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:40:02 PM permalink

I'm blocking you Oscar, all your posts in this
thread are directed at me and none of them
are worthy of a reply. Buh bye...

LMFAO
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:57:14 PM permalink
I predict that Obama will win 319 to 219. The early test will be Florida. If Florida is too close to call then the Election goes to Obama easily because it will be an early indication that Nate Silver is right. Nate's simulations show that the most likely outcome will be a 331 EV win for Obama but I'm giving Florida to Romney because .. Freedom.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:01:52 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

I predict that Obama will win 319 to 219. The early test will be Florida. If Florida is too close to call then the Election goes to Obama easily because it will be an early indication that Nate Silver is right. Nate's simulations show that the most likely outcome will be a 331 EV win for Obama but I'm giving Florida to Romney because .. Freedom.

My map looks exactly the same, but with FL and VA reversed. 303-235.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:07:59 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

My map looks exactly the same, but with FL and VA reversed. 303-235.

Virginia has the Virgil Goode factor. No clue if he'll have any effect at all, but if he does it will be in siphoning off Romney votes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:10:24 PM permalink

I predict that Obama will win 319 to 219. The early test will be Florida.

Tampa Bay Times has Romney 51 Obama 45, its a real
nail biter.. Yawn..

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/article1259531.ece
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:13:16 PM permalink
Suffolk Univ pulled their polling out of Fl 3 weeks
ago, saying Obama can't win there. But what do
they know..

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/polls/261189-pollster-pulls-out-of-fla-nc-and-va-says-obama-cant-win
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:18:51 PM permalink

Virginia has the Virgil Goode factor. No clue if he'll have any effect at all, but if he does it will be in siphoning off Romney votes.

Yeah, I think between Goode pulling Romney votes and Kaine (and/or not-Allen) helping draw people to the polls, VA will probably go blue.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:22:56 PM permalink

Tampa Bay Times has Romney 51 Obama 45, its a real
nail biter.. Yawn..

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/article1259531.ece

Mason-Dixon is a good pollster, too. Too bad this breaks your only-listening-to-rasmussen rule.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:27:55 PM permalink

Mason-Dixon is a good pollster, too. Too bad this breaks your only-listening-to-rasmussen rule.

Rasmussen has FL at 50-48 Romney, but its a week old.
The other one is recent or I would have used Rasmussen.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:32:16 PM permalink

Suffolk Univ pulled their polling out of Fl 3 weeks
ago, saying Obama can't win there. But what do
they know..

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/polls/261189-pollster-pulls-out-of-fla-nc-and-va-says-obama-cant-win

NC will almost certainly go Romney. The NBC poll out of FL has Obama up by 2% while the newspapers have a 6% Romney lead. Obama has the edge in early voting so that state is indecipherable to me. It will depend on turnout in the southern part of the state. VA is a schizo state. Can't figure out my own state!

3 weeks ago was a long time ago to give up. Then again, I had to look to see what Suffolk University was. Dan Harrington went there!
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:42:22 PM permalink

I had to look to see what Suffolk University was.

Suffolk Univ Political Research Center is an extremely
well respected polling organization that has a 96%
accuracy record. If they pulled out of FL, NC and VA
3 weeks ago saying Obama has no chance of winning
there, you can pretty much bank on it.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:44:10 PM permalink

Suffolk Univ Political Research Center is an extremely
well respected polling organization that has a 96%
accuracy record. If they pulled out of FL, NC and VA
3 weeks ago saying Obama has no chance of winning
there, you can pretty much bank on it.

Glad you finally figured out that Rasmussen isn't the only good pollster.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:48:59 PM permalink

Glad you finally figured out that Rasmussen isn't the only good pollster.

It was big news when Suffolk pulled out on
Oct 10th. They're good but not as good as
Rasmussen.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:26:34 PM permalink

Rasmussen has FL at 50-48 Romney, but its a week old.
The other one is recent or I would have used Rasmussen.

Let's see how accurate Rasmussen was in 2008.
RasmussenActualDifference
StateObamaMcCainObamaMcCain
Florida49%50%51%48%4%
Ohio49%49%51%47%4%
N.Carolina49%50%50%50%1%
Virginia51%47%53%46%3%
Missouri49%49%49%49%0%
Colorado51%47%54%45%5%
Rasmussen nailed Missouri but in all other cases leaned red and by a lot. Here's Rachel Maddow and Nate Silver talking about the polling.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:33:17 PM permalink

Let's see how accurate Rasmussen was in 2008.

RasmussenActualDifference
StateObamaMcCainObamaMcCain
Florida49%50%51%48%4%
Ohio49%49%51%47%4%
N.Carolina49%50%50%50%1%
Virginia51%47%53%46%3%
Missouri49%49%49%49%0%
Colorado51%47%54%45%5%
Rasmussen nailed Missouri but in all other cases leaned red and by a lot. Here's Rachel Maddow and Nate Silver talking about the polling.

1% in NC is a lot to you?

Rasmussen is a solid average pollster. They're not bad, they're just not very good either. 2008 was a hard polling year and Rasmussen was pretty much on the median error level. 2010 was harder, and they did worse - they were the worst national pollster in 2010. 2004 and 2006 were easier, and Rasmussen pretty much utterly nailed them.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:41:22 PM permalink

1% in NC is a lot to you?

Not at all, but half the polling mentioned in the Fox News clip failed to be within Rasmussen's own margin of error of 3% in favor of the red side. This is Rasmussen's pattern. Rasmussen is biased. Not one of Rasmussen's polls erred on the blue side. That's not a coincidence, that's a fault.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:44:47 PM permalink

Not at all, but half the polling mentioned in the Fox News clip failed to be within Rasmussen's own margin of error of 3% in favor of the red side. This is Rasmussen's pattern. Rasmussen is biased. Not one of Rasmussen's polls erred on the blue side. That's not a coincidence, that's a fault.

Those are all within the MoE. The 3% applies to the percentage for each candidate.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:47:25 PM permalink

Those are all within the MoE. The 3% applies to the percentage for each candidate.

Point taken, now explain away the red side bias.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:55:18 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I think that both sides are reading a little too much into these ad buys.

The fact is that a Pennsylvania ad buy is essentially the same thing as an Eastern Ohio ad buy and a Northern W.Va. ad buy, the N.W.Va being circumstantial, and that is if a good part of the ad buy is in Pittsburgh. It's a shared TV Market, so you're not really making that buy strictly to appeal to Pa., it's very well probably just another push in hotly contested Ohio coal country. On the other side of PA and in the South, maybe it hits some parts of Virginia.

Reading too much into things is what keeps people in business.

Appalachian Ohio is divided into four regions. The total of the region is 16.95% of the population of Ohio.

I think your observation is very astute. There are roughly 2 million people in what is thought of as the 32 counties of Appalachian Ohio. Many do not have cable television, and rely on satellite TV. Over the air broadcast is difficult in the mountains.

Your CBS affiliates in Ohio are not in Appalachia.
Cincinnati - WKRC-TV 12
Cleveland - WOIO 19
Columbus - WBNS-TV 10
Dayton - WHIO-TV 7
Lima - WLMO-LP 38
Toledo - WTOL-TV 11
Youngstown - WKBN-TV 27

A TV add on a Youngstown station that Obama is anti-coal and Ohio citizens should vote for Romney is non-news. Everyone knows that the parties are campaigning vigorously in this critical state. The message may not register very strongly even among the faithful.

But every media outlet in the country reported that Romney was making a last week media buy in Pennsylvania with his "Obama is anti-coal" campaign. If your goal is to get the "anti-coal" message firmly in the minds of the undecided all over the country (including the 2 million people in Appalachian Ohio), the your goal is accomplished.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:56:23 PM permalink

Point taken, now explain away the red side bias.

from a very technical standpoint, there is no bias if they're within the MoE:-)
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:57:27 PM permalink
...um... they're not.

He has to break it. Rasmussen has stopped living in the reality where it's a Romney lock.

If every state breaks as they expect it to, Romney wins 285-253 (still taking bets on that 320, Keyser?). Every state but Ohio, the tightest race they (and just about no one else) expect to go to Romney, Obama wins 271-267. Meanwhile, reality's nice five-point Florida margin has gone down to two in Rasmussen fantasyland.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 3rd, 2012 at 9:02:19 PM permalink
Dick Morris blames Hurricane Sandy and Chris Christie for Mitt Romney's impending loss. Apparently Christie just torpedoed Romney's path to victory so that he can run in 2016. or something..
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 9:07:03 PM permalink

Dick Morris blames Hurricane Sandy and Chris Christie for Mitt Romney's impending loss. Apparently Christie just torpedoed Romney's path to victory so that he can run in 2016. or something..

LOL. Sounds about right. Along this same line, in the part of the Maddow clip before the discussion with Silver, she pointed out a story from a couple days ago. Republican operatives have begun speculating about what Paul Ryan might do after the election, since he won't be the VP...
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 9:08:45 PM permalink

Rachel Maddow and Nate Silver talking about the polling.

Nate Silver and Rachel Maddow
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2012 at 9:11:49 PM permalink

Dick Morris blames Hurricane Sandy and Chris Christie for Mitt Romney's impending loss. .

Yeah, um, from the same article, last sentence:

"..resuming (Obama) his crash into a single term presidency."

You really need to read the whole thing, dude. It
will save you from looking irrelevent.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 3rd, 2012 at 9:13:22 PM permalink
PacoMartin,

Thanks for the compliment! I will say that the CBS Wheeling, WV (WTRF Channel 7) covers some of Appalachia, but certainly not all of it, as you pointed out. They basically cover a good portion of Eastern Ohio, though. I'll tell you where they've really been is the radio, get the people that may be at work, on the way to work (possibly in the mines), taking the kids to school, or who may not watch much TV. They've really been hitting the radio hard, from both sides, smart move!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 4th, 2012 at 1:16:14 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

PacoMartin,Thanks for the compliment!

Well your argument was very clear. If you think about it, the ideologically minded people mostly made up their mind a long time ago (many before Romney even became the candidate). In Ohio, after this market saturation in one of the two most critical of states, they have made a decision.

What's left, is the guy who may like Obama and his family, but just feels that he is not making the best decisions for the country. The coal issue is a big one. While no one likes coal, they feel that nothing is going to run the electric plants as cheaply. Ultimately, that will keep the Prius's running. By rattling the idea that Obama is anti-coal, then he is going to cut off the lifeblood of these regions. For Appalachian Ohio it was 445,713 for Obama in 2008, and 453,111 for McCain.

In 2008 Obama won Cuyahoga county (i.e. Cleveland) by 206,830 votes, and McCain won the rest of the state by 38,637 votes. So Romney has to find a few thousand votes here and there in the rural counties to offset Cleveland.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 4th, 2012 at 7:00:18 PM permalink
Obama says he wants Americans to vote for
him to get revenge.

What does this mean, revenge against who?
Revenge against what? What the heck is he
talking about?

Does he mean if we elect him again, he's out
for revenge? He must mean that, its the only
thing that makes sense. Revenge for slavery?
Revenge against capitalism? Revenge against
the US?

Hmm, I don't think this is going to play very
well.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 4th, 2012 at 7:11:27 PM permalink
No Bob, you have it all wrong. It's revenge against whitey! Move to another country now before we show up with our Obama Phones and Cadillacs that we buy with our welfare checks and and steal your collection of rare gold coins that you bought from Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck's advertiser. Flee!! Flee!!

Muhahahahaha!!!!!
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 4th, 2012 at 7:15:35 PM permalink

No Bob, you have it all wrong. It's revenge against whitey!

I think he has class warfare in mind. He wants the
have not's to think he's going to get revenge
on the have's if he's elected. Redistribution,
make everybody equally miserable, like what
will happen if Obamacare is put into full
effect.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
November 4th, 2012 at 8:24:55 PM permalink

No Bob, you have it all wrong. It's revenge against whitey! Move to another country now before we show up with our Obama Phones and Cadillacs that we buy with our welfare checks and and steal your collection of rare gold coins that you bought from Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck's advertiser. Flee!! Flee!!

Muhahahahaha!!!!!

Not sure why EB wants Romney to win anyway. Losing his nearly full time job of complainin' about Obama is going to leave EB destitute.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 4th, 2012 at 8:37:11 PM permalink
I thought it was just a play on the old saying "Living well is the best revenge." (George Herbert)

Guess that was too literate for some people.
24Bingo
24Bingo
November 4th, 2012 at 8:37:20 PM permalink
"Revenge against who"? Revenge against Romney, to a crowd that was booing him. Do you even read these stories, or do you just pluck out anything that sounds like a gaffe?

...right, stupid question.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
November 4th, 2012 at 8:39:21 PM permalink
Bob, I am with you, but I hope you spent a third as much time you did on here trying to change 10 peoples mind, as you did calling GOPers and Indys reminding them to get out and vote.

That is where a difference can be made.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 4th, 2012 at 8:42:34 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

"Revenge against who"? Revenge against Romney, to a crowd that was booing him.

Revenge against Romney for what? He's not president,
you make no sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 4th, 2012 at 8:45:07 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Bob, I am with you, but I hope you spent a third as much time you did on here trying to change 10 peoples minds.

Good grief, I could care less if they change
their minds, why would I. Have you ever
changed anybodies mind about anything?
Its impossible.
24Bingo
24Bingo
November 4th, 2012 at 8:45:19 PM permalink

Revenge against Romney for what? He's not president,
you make no sense.

They were booing him, weren't they?
  • Jump to: