QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
August 13th, 2012 at 10:30:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

he jumped the shark about 2 years ago.

What do you feel was his jump the shark moment?
kulin
kulin
  • Threads: 9
August 13th, 2012 at 10:36:23 PM permalink
I really cannot figure out if EvenBob is a troll or just very angry. I have friends who play discussions like this in his exact same manner and they do it just for the fun of getting people to get emotionally invested and respond. I am not accusing him of being a troll of course, I would never ever accuse him of anything. If anyone were to ever think I was directly confronting him about his inflammatory posts that in my most humble opinion are far worse than a tame yet slightly offensive labeling, I want to assure them I would not do something to such a special treated member of this forum.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 13th, 2012 at 10:44:50 PM permalink
Quote: kulin

I really cannot figure out if EvenBob is a troll.

I daresay, I'm pretty sure that's the last thing people would think of about EB.

Whether it's also the first, I can't say.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
August 14th, 2012 at 3:16:37 AM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

Probably when he gave the order to execute Osama bin Laden, maybe it was when he signed the Affordable Care Act into law or perhaps you have to go as far back as the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay act. We'll may find out from the exit polling in November when that paragon of vision, Mitt Romney sweeps all 50 states.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
  • Threads: 14
August 14th, 2012 at 4:57:24 AM permalink

Based on his approval rating, possibly at the start of Recovery Summer 2009?
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/var/plain/storage/images/media/obama_total_approval_graphics/august_2012/obama_total_approval_august_13_2012/741530-1-eng-US/obama_total_approval_august_13_2012.jpg
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 14th, 2012 at 5:56:35 AM permalink

My vote would be the Scott Brown election. Open seat in one of the most left-leaning states in the union. Obama goes out and adds people who drive pickups to his insult list. Brown takes it easily. This ended Obama's ability to pass legislation Chavez-style and forced him to get at least ONE GOP vote onboard for his programs. He has not been able to do that for the most part, exposing his lack of leadership and legislative ability. When he could no longer say, "Shut up and go sit in the back of the bus" he was stumped. Never before in his career did he have to even talk to the other side. When he had to do so, he failed.

Even his small victories, such as repeal of DADT, required use of the remaining near-supermajority. On the Bush tax-cuts-for-all-taxpayers he folded his hand, and this took much energy from his base who could not wait for punitive tax increases on people they disliked. Since then he decided to "run against congress" but forgot the Democrat Party still controls the Senate, making him look foolish.

Obama was elected in large part because "if you wanted to be 'in' you had to like him." That is no longer the case.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 14th, 2012 at 11:06:10 AM permalink

For me it was when a lawyer, a former law
professor, and now President, stood in
front of the country and criticized those
cops for arresting his black friend, Gates.
And then we had the wonderful Beer
Summit. It was then I knew Obama was
in over his head, he was acting like a king
and not a president.

It was like they had to take him backstage
afterwards and say 'Um, Mr President, you
can't really make comments like that in
public.' And Obama says 'I can't? Why the
hell not, I'm the president!' And his staff
starts rolling their eyes at each other.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
kulin
kulin
August 14th, 2012 at 11:23:31 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Obama was elected in large part because "if you wanted to be 'in' you had to like him." That is no longer the case.

You think my vote was very shallow.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 14th, 2012 at 11:40:55 AM permalink

You think my vote was very shallow.

I don't know a thing about you or your vote. I do know that plenty of people want to be "in" and vote with the "in guy." Heck, in 2000 one woman said I would not like her vote (said she coulod tell by lookig at me) and she was voting for Gore because "he was so good looking." In 2008 just count the people who said they loved Obama but could not give one reason why. I still know people who just say some form of "because" when pressed why they like him.

As I keep saying, Obama is a cult of personality.
kulin
kulin
August 14th, 2012 at 11:46:10 AM permalink

Heck, in 2000 one woman said I would not like her vote (said she coulod tell by lookig at me) and she was voting for Gore because "he was so good looking."

If we are going by anecdotes I was friends with (up until the point they told me this) people who were proud that they were not voting for Obama because he was black and because they didn't think a black person could handle being president. I pressed them for any real reason or a hint of sarcasm because I could not believe I would have misjudged anyone's character so badly but they were being absolutely honest. Can we assume the idiot voters on both sides are an insignificant minority and canceled each other out?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 14th, 2012 at 11:50:03 AM permalink
HEY THIS IS A GAMBLING FORUM

HB thread is now a soap opera. Can we get a line on Obama-Romney Winner ?

Time for people to put their money where their mouth is.

To say nothing of giving SOOPPO a shot at recovering his pending HB loss.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 14th, 2012 at 11:52:03 AM permalink
double
kulin
kulin
August 14th, 2012 at 11:52:43 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

HEY THIS IS A GAMBLING FORUM

I'm sure its been addressed but what is the point where it goes from a forum to an illegal online gambling site?
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 14th, 2012 at 11:53:29 AM permalink

they were not voting for Obama because he was black and because they didn't think a black person could handle being president.

Its ridiculous that a black person wouldn't make a good
president. Just because Obama hasn't proved it doesn't
mean all blacks should be judged on Obama's performance.

Unfortunately, many people aren't smart enough to realize
that.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 14th, 2012 at 11:55:17 AM permalink

I'm sure its been addressed but what is the point where it goes from a forum to an illegal online gambling site?

Gee this would be the second bet on this forum in 5 or 6 years. LOL
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 14th, 2012 at 12:01:55 PM permalink

Can we get a line on Obama-Romney Winner ?

I've wagered $360 on Obama to win $200. I'd probably take a little more action at that same 9:5 level.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 14th, 2012 at 12:11:18 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I've wagered $360 on Obama to win $200. I'd probably take a little more action at that same 9:5 level.

Romney is 5/4 dog in Vegas, but 2-1 at Ladbrooke. What do the Brits know that Vegas does not ! LOL

I assume the right to gloat afterwards is included in your bet ?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 14th, 2012 at 12:19:15 PM permalink

Romney is 5/4 dog in Vegas, but 2-1 at Ladbrooke. What do the Brits know that Vegas does not ! LOL

I assume the right to gloat afterwards is included in your bet ?

2:1 is much closer to fair. 4/5 would be a great line to take Obama on, but I'm guessing that's NOT what they'd book that bet at.

And, yes, the right to gloat is pretty much implied in my bet with the other forum member:-)

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Nate Silver is a very good statistician. He's kind of prone to douchbagish puffery, but he's a hell of an election modeler. He's got Obama at about 71% to win.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 14th, 2012 at 12:33:53 PM permalink
Why do the Dem's keep saying Ryan is going to destroy
Medicare when he's not? If you're over 55 nothing will
change for you, and if you're under 55 you can still
choose it if you want. Where is it 'destroyed'?

Obama on the other hand, said this.

Jake Tapper: One of the concerns about health care and
how you pay for it. One third of the funding comes from
cuts to Medicare. ($700 billion)

Obama: Right.

So Obama is gutting Medicare, and thats fine?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
August 14th, 2012 at 12:35:15 PM permalink
I'm voting for Obama because I want to be part of the "in" crowd. You just can't get that "in" crowd feeling while voting for Romney.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
rxwine
rxwine
August 14th, 2012 at 1:16:23 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

I'm voting for Obama because I want to be part of the "in" crowd. You just can't get that "in" crowd feeling while voting for Romney.

That Romney appeals to gold hoarding leprechauns, people with magic underwear, and Mr Burns-types of the Simpsons can't be denied. Those numbers add up.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
August 14th, 2012 at 2:11:56 PM permalink
http://freebeacon.com/biden-on-romney-theyre-going-to-put-yall-back-in-chains/

This guy should be the VP candidate everyone is looking at...
rxwine
rxwine
August 14th, 2012 at 2:34:20 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

http://freebeacon.com/biden-on-romney-theyre-going-to-put-yall-back-in-chains/

This guy should be the VP candidate everyone is looking at...

I'd have to agree that Biden is often a questionable commodity. When Obama rows, Biden will sometimes drop the anchor while trying to be helpful.

Yes, they could play the heartbeat away bit some here.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 14th, 2012 at 2:38:11 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I'd have to agree that Biden is often a questionable commodity. When Obama rows, Biden will sometimes drop the anchor while trying to be helpful.

I'm absolutely shocked that Biden is still on the ticket. Obama/Clinton would win handily and also set Hillary up for '16. Maybe she really is serious about not wanting to run again.
RonC
RonC
August 14th, 2012 at 2:42:04 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Of the four candidates involved at this point, Biden is the last one I would want picking up the phone at 3 a.m. It isn't that he lacks experience or that he knows nothing; it is that he tends to just say something without understanding what he has said.
rxwine
rxwine
August 14th, 2012 at 2:46:53 PM permalink

Obama/Clinton would win handily and also set Hillary up for '16. Maybe she really is serious about not wanting to run again.

Pandomonium. All- in for Hillary. I doubt if she'd have a chance at running if that ticket lost this time around. So ,it would be an all-in for her.

I like it. Maybe Biden will feel like retiring?
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 14th, 2012 at 2:47:14 PM permalink

I'm absolutely shocked that Biden is still on the ticket. .

The convention isn't here yet, anything could happen.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 14th, 2012 at 4:54:11 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

You wouldnt like it with the Romney crowd. Election day will be busy. Firstwe have to go to church. Then drive the f-150 th vote. Then off to the woods for target practice.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 14th, 2012 at 4:58:52 PM permalink

You wouldnt like it with the Romney crowd. Election day will be busy. Firstwe have to go to church. Then drive the f-150 th vote. Then off to the woods for target practice.

Church on Tuesday? Talk about devout:-)

Don't forget to leave the gun in the truck when you enter the polling place!
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
August 15th, 2012 at 9:07:11 AM permalink
I'm surprised Biden is allowed anywhere near a microphone. Clinton can stay off the ticket and be ready to run in the top slot in 2016. If Obama wins she can 'continue the transformation' or however Dem's want to word it, if Obama loses then she can 'take back the white house' or whatever.

As of today 270towin.com has Obama with 201 electoral votes, Romney with 191, and 146 toss up.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 15th, 2012 at 9:20:18 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

I'm surprised Biden is allowed anywhere near a microphone. Clinton can stay off the ticket and be ready to run in the top slot in 2016.

Agreed on Biden.

But I wonder if H. Clinton had not joined Obama's cabinet, would she have challenged Obama for the nomination this year? That would have been an epic fight. She could have contrasted the current mess with W. Clinton's administration, too.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2012 at 12:44:32 PM permalink
Pundits on both sides say it would be a major
mistake at this point to replace Biden because
it would take all the spotlite off of Obama
and make his position look weak, no matter
who he chose. He would look desperate.
RonC
RonC
August 15th, 2012 at 1:16:04 PM permalink

Pundits on both sides say it would be a major
mistake at this point to replace Biden because
it would take all the spotlite off of Obama
and make his position look weak, no matter
who he chose. He would look desperate.

I'd say he already looks pretty desperate to anyone paying attention....

Even his supporters can't defend him well; they just say something negative about Romney/Ryan as a reason to re-elect President Obama.

I know people smarter than I say President Obama will likely win but I have to wonder if enough people will figure out that he is running on the "he's worse than I am" ticket and decide that ins't really what they want in a President.
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
  • Threads: 14
August 15th, 2012 at 1:49:57 PM permalink

Even his supporters can't defend him weill; they just say something negative about Romney/Ryan as a reason to re-elect President Obama.

The negativity is so high I've stopped following the news as diligently as I once did. What you say is true- there's generally the fear and blame game being played:
"If you vote for the other guys, you'll be put in chains!"
"If you vote for the other guys, it's the 1950s again for women's rights!"
"If you vote for the other guys, it's Soylent Green time for Grandma!" (After pushing her off the cliff, religious zealots will haul her off to the SG Corporation for processing- that's be part 2 for that ad.)
"If you vote for that felon, he'll likely kill someone you know though his policies!"

It's a volcano of negativity. There are people who will support him over certain social issues no matter what- I get that. But many others seem to be willing to accept this new economic normal versus trying something different- convincing themselves it will most certainly be worse. Assuming the President does get re-elected, I'd like to hear what would be different the next time around on how unemployment, the national debt, and other key factors would improve.
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
RonC
RonC
August 15th, 2012 at 1:52:12 PM permalink
This whole "drop Biden" movement is actually perfect for the President. Everyone who supports him already knows, and has accepted, that his VP is a loose cannon. If the press pays attention to "dump him" or "don't dump him" for a couple of hours, days, or weeks, it does exactly what the President needs...it keeps him from having to answer for his performance over this term. They can keep the "there was a big problem" stuff (Blame Bush!!) going, and not spend any time defending this term.

Perfect!!
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2012 at 1:54:07 PM permalink

if enough people will figure out that he is running on the "he's worse than I am" ticket and decide that ins't really what they want in a President.

Omama wasn't vetted in '08, thats the problem.
Where were his college transcripts, where were
fellow chums from college, where was he really
born, whats with his fascination with Saul Alkinsky
and Ayres and other radicals. Shhh, he's our first
black candidate, shhh, don't pick on him.

Wheras they vetted the hell out of John Kerry in
04, had people coming out of the woodwork saying
what a scumball he was with what he did after his
military service.

Obama was a clean sheet of paper in 08, he doesn't
have that luxury anymore.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2012 at 2:03:51 PM permalink
More good news for Obama. The co-chair of his campaign
in 08, a 4 term black congressman, is now a Romney
supporter and will campaign for him. This guy seconded
the nomination of Obama at the 08 convention! This should
raise Obama to 60% on Intrade, huh, with all that 'smart
money' thats there.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 15th, 2012 at 2:25:40 PM permalink

money' thats there.

Yep, Obama is still the heavy favorite on Intrade. And that 4 term black congressman (funny, I didn't realize "black" was a political party) is now a Republican. That was the only way he could keep his seat down there in the South.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2012 at 2:29:11 PM permalink

Yep, Obama is still the heavy favorite on Intrade.

Yet Romney leads in Rasmussen, Gallup, and Zogby has them
tied. Don't they know the 'smart' people are on Intrade? I went
there and read a couple hundred comments from users, and
was astonished to see how Left leaning so many of the comments
were. It didn't seem very balanced.
RonC
RonC
August 15th, 2012 at 2:35:50 PM permalink

money' thats there.

Yep, Obama is still the heavy favorite on Intrade. And that 4 term black congressman (funny, I didn't realize "black" was a political party) is now a Republican. That was the only way he could keep his seat down there in the South.

Black is not a party, but it is a term used often to describe the President (our first black President) and who supports what party (I was at the rally for the Rebulican candidate; there weren't a lot of blacks there). One would assume that the person who seconded the nomination of President Obama was a Democrat and that his politics have changed a bit since then as he now supports Romeny.

He did not leave his party to keep his seat. He held it for four terms as a Democrat and switched parties this year.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 15th, 2012 at 2:45:15 PM permalink

Yet Romney leads in Rasmussen, Gallup and Zogby has them
tied. Don't they know the 'smart' people are on Intrade? I went
there and read a couple hundred comments from users, and
was astonished to see how Left leaning so many of the comments
were. It didn't seem very balanced.

You know they're measuring different things, right?
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2012 at 3:56:37 PM permalink

You know they're measuring different things, right?

They have different polling styles, so what.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2012 at 4:02:02 PM permalink
"Forbes recently crunched Federal Election Commission (FEC) filings from the current election cycle that showed campaign contributions from individuals (and their relatives) with direct ties to Las Vegas casinos totaled $43m – $42.4m of which went to Republicans, while just $216k went to Democratic political action committees."

Compare that to 2008 when Wynn alone gave
millions and milions to Obama. 216K so far
is like nothing so far. But this is all good news
for Obama, just look at Intrade. They read these
stats and Obama went over 62% there.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 15th, 2012 at 4:03:05 PM permalink

They have different polling styles, so what.

Different styles? One measures the odds of winning the electoral college, the other measures the national popular vote. Those are totally different things.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2012 at 4:07:41 PM permalink

Different styles? One measures the odds of winning the electoral college, the other measures the national popular vote. Those are totally different things.

Again, so what? You love to quote Intrade, and
they use something entirely different than those
three. RCP lumps all the polls together and
some people quote nothing but that. Its all
as meaningful or as meaningless as you want
it to be. You can always find a poll that says
exactly what you want to hear.
RonC
RonC
August 15th, 2012 at 4:14:42 PM permalink
Biden is on a roll...

Joe Biden in Virginia: “We can win North Carolina!”

http://nation.foxnews.com/joe-biden/2012/08/14/biden-virginia-we-can-win-north-carolina

This guy is great!!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 15th, 2012 at 4:40:43 PM permalink

Again, so what? You love to quote Intrade, and
they use something entirely different than those
three. RCP lumps all the polls together and
some people quote nothing but that. Its all
as meaningful or as meaningless as you want
it to be. You can always find a poll that says
exactly what you want to hear.

Please find a quote where I cited intrade (other than in this conversation that you started). I love to quote intrade? really? No, I don't. I prefer poll aggregators. Nate Silver is great (www.fivethirtyeight.com), so is Mark Blumenthal (www.pollster.com).

edit: the guys at realclearpolitics are also very good, though their model is a bit less robust.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 15th, 2012 at 4:47:28 PM permalink

Biden is on a roll...

Joe Biden in Virginia: “We can win North Carolina!”

http://nation.foxnews.com/joe-biden/2012/08/14/biden-virginia-we-can-win-north-carolina

This guy is great!!

I can't get that video to load on the Fox Nation website. it just keeps looping the intro ad, which happens to be a 3rd party anti-Obama ad. That made me laugh, then i found the Biden video elsewhere. That made me laugh harder. Obama is going to have to utterly cream Romney in the Presidential debate, because Ryan is going to wipe the floor with Biden.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2012 at 4:53:15 PM permalink

Please find a quote where I cited intrade

Quotes? We don't need no stinking quotes..
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 15th, 2012 at 5:08:50 PM permalink

Quotes? We don't need no stinking quotes..

LOL! You don't seem the type for that reference:-)

But really, you said I love to quote intrade. I don't think I've ever done that. Maybe the future tense would be better? I WOULD love to quote Intrade. Just like I WOULD love to go on a date with Michelle Trachtenberg.
  • Jump to: