Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
October 30th, 2015 at 10:28:11 AM permalink
I think the claim that African Americans are becoming more defiant is unfair. Anything that isn't complete and total compliance with police is viewed as defiant by some people, and I feel it's an extreme position. Better to stand up for oneself than be trampled on, though it does carry greater risks.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
October 30th, 2015 at 11:29:40 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

I think the claim that African Americans are becoming more defiant is unfair. Anything that isn't complete and total compliance with police is viewed as defiant by some people, and I feel it's an extreme position. Better to stand up for oneself than be trampled on, though it does carry greater risks.

IMO

Are stating facts still considered UNFAIR in your world? Just image if this young girl had gone along with the teacher and others who asked her to stop using her cell phone --- this was a clear cut case of DEFIANCE on her part. Now what the PO did wasn't right and he paid for it with his job. There are segments of our society who feel they can do whatever they want i.e., African Americans determined to fight with the MAN -- the truth doesn't matter whenever your black -- just cry racism and your free at last from any responsibility for said actions.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
October 30th, 2015 at 11:37:08 AM permalink
I invite all of you to live one week in a Detroit "hood", ride the buses in Detroit, etc., then do the same in the suburbs. You're attitude toward them will change to the worse.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 133
October 30th, 2015 at 11:42:41 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

I do acknowledge that I would be outraged if my daughter was treated that way.

I would be outraged if my daughter acted that way.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
October 30th, 2015 at 11:47:19 AM permalink

When you are being arrested total compliance is the only way to go. If you have issues regarding your arrest then bring it up later. Getting yourself trampled on or worse? You think this is the way to go? As soon as you do that you lose.
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
October 30th, 2015 at 11:49:44 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I invite all of you to live one week in a Detroit "hood", ride the buses in Detroit, etc., then do the same in the suburbs. You're attitude toward them will change to the worse.

You could apply that scenario to any "hood" type community thru out America and get the same results. Those attitudes towards some Africans Americans aren't getting worse - IMO the moral turpitude of some AA's is totally void of any responsibility, ever.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 30th, 2015 at 11:50:00 AM permalink

I get what you're saying, but that doesn't work on the streets. I've said it before, the police's job is to enforce the law. Sure, they should have some understanding of said law first, but everyone has parts of their job they're worse at than others. I don't see why the police would be any different.

Compliance absolutely is the answer after a certain point. You get nabbed in one of those "unconstitutional road side checks", sure, resist. Keep your window up. Show license / reg by holding it up to the window. That's your right. But if the cop is either ignorant or a legit bad apple and attempts to remove you from the car, what's a fight gonna do other than leave you with a face full of pepper, if not a chest full of 10,000v or .40cal? As I've said, not one person has ever been killed by "Your Honor". A cop violates your rights, make him pay in court. On the streets, you lose every time.

This video made me smile. I don't care, it did. That doesn't mean I think his actions were correct, but I grew up with many of these types. I remember once (I grew up post-corporal punishment era) when an old timer subbed in shop and one of these types mouthed off. The old timer slapped him right across the face. Best day of school ever. Hell, that was '96 and I still remember it.

Now, the video gives not near enough info to make an informed opinion, but her slapping and punching at him when she is grabbed makes me believe this wasn't a simple issue that he severely overreacted about. It appears that she was already quite amped and defiant. And flashing back to my own history and remembering how these types act... I can't help it. I almost laugh. About the only other thing I'd have liked to see was a finishing move. The teacher's desk was right there, and everyone knows how to do a Macho Man off the top rope. That'd have been keen, indeed.

But yeah. Real talk, you can't do that.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
October 30th, 2015 at 12:36:29 PM permalink
I just saw the video, again--about 10 times. Even some media outlets referred to the girl as getting "slammed to the ground." I think a lot of people are brainwashed. The take-down was appropriate. She wasn't slammed to the ground. I'm glad the officer got her out of that chair. It seems as though some of you that have responded to this story think we should have engaged her in dialogue and counseling for hours while she sits there.

Yes, the wonderful 21st century. People now are so tolerant, open minded and respectful of other people's opinions--as long as they agree with them.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 243
October 30th, 2015 at 1:07:36 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

I just saw the video, again--about 10 times. Even some media outlets referred to the girl as getting "slammed to the ground." I think a lot of people are brainwashed. The take-down was appropriate. She wasn't slammed to the ground. I'm glad the officer got her out of that chair. It seems as though some of you that have responded to this story think we should have engaged her in dialogue and counseling for hours while she sat there.

Yes, the wonderful 21st century. People now are so tolerant, open minded and respectful of other people's opinions--as long as they agree with them.

GJ - you are not a legal authority. The officer was fired. He did not handle the situation properly. Your opinions here don't matter and thankfully, most people see how wrong you are.

You are entitled to your opinion just like people who believe in DI are. But opinions don't change facts.

BTW - Backwards flip with arm around throat with the result girl lands on floor - qualifies to most people as being slammed to the ground. It doesn't have to be a well executed pro wrestling body slam.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
October 30th, 2015 at 1:27:32 PM permalink
Taxpayers money money spent on that thing? Talking on a phone in class? Refusing teachers orders? Throw that garbage out from school, give cop a medal.

• Jump to: