JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 211
April 4th, 2014 at 5:51:46 PM permalink
No, no one shot me.

So we decided to catch the afternoon Friday matinee of the new "Captain America - Winter Soldier" movie and beat the full pricing. Except at this particular REGAL cinema, the price goes up at 4:00, not 6:00 like at the local CINEMARK. That was a surprise to me. So the tickets were a ridiculous $ 10.50 each. Well that's the last time I go there.

Then to add insult to injury, my wife and daughter waltz in and drop $20 at the concession stand for a velveeta Nachos, large popcorn tub, and a large diet coke. I've got a good job and all, and my wife works (not such a good paying job), but it just astounds me that they don't care how much things cost. OK, time to go up to the balcony and join Waldorf and Statler.

Thanks for listening, I feel better (but not richer) already.

The movie was good and I recommend it.
You know the type always acting cool, Pretender;Take the risk or give up your cards, Pretender, Oh, Oh. - Iris/Avsec
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
April 4th, 2014 at 6:09:36 PM permalink
My fiancee is the same way. She even orders the fountain soda with extra ice. I start to twitch if I'm around when she's ordering, so I usually "go find seats" in order to avoid the process.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 90
April 4th, 2014 at 7:04:44 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Then to add insult to injury, my wife and daughter waltz in and drop $20 at the concession stand for a velveeta Nachos, large popcorn tub, and a large diet coke. I've got a good job and all, and my wife works (not such a good paying job), but it just astounds me that they don't care how much things cost.

Or maybe they do realize what things cost - for example, what it "costs" the theater to show Captain America: The Winter Soldier. (Out of the $10.50 you paid for an opening-weekend ticket, the theater is lucky to get $1. "The version I heard was," blockbusters work on 90-80-70-60 - the studio gets 90% of the ticket price on the first weekend, 80% on the second, 70% on the third, and 60% on the fourth. Throw in the distributor's cut, and that's not much left for the theater, which makes its money from those overpriced concessions you complain about.)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 4th, 2014 at 7:22:03 PM permalink
Yes, I am going to complain about those overpriced concessions.

If the theatre doesn't like their business arrangement, they need to renegotiate it. The studios don't have theatres, so they need to find an equitable arrangement if they want ANYONE to watch their movie.

But really this is about throwing my hands up in exasperation over Mrs. Q and little Q#2, who I haven't been able to help them understand the value of money.
You know the type always acting cool, Pretender;Take the risk or give up your cards, Pretender, Oh, Oh. - Iris/Avsec
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 4th, 2014 at 7:34:36 PM permalink
What's the lost value in watching a movie without popcorn, soda and other snacks?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 4th, 2014 at 7:41:27 PM permalink
I think it was 20 bucks for us ! So the lost value is 20 bucks worth of groceries, gas, utility bills, etc.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 4th, 2014 at 8:06:28 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

I think it was 20 bucks for us ! So the lost value is 20 bucks worth of groceries, gas, utility bills, etc.

If you don't like the movie theater-goer business model, you can find alternatives.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 4th, 2014 at 8:35:39 PM permalink
Agreed Nareed.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 162
April 4th, 2014 at 9:50:35 PM permalink
I don't remember theater concessions ever being cheap (comparatively). They always seemed to be various degrees of overpriced. Now they want you to actually pick up after yourself before you leave. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's free help for them which doesn't seem to reflect in any price reduction.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 6th, 2014 at 1:16:40 PM permalink
I really don't see the value of being this cheap, assuming that you can afford it (ie, that $20 won't stop you from being able to buy groceries or pay rent). There is no point in having money if you are not going to enjoy life.

• Jump to: