Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
April 6th, 2014 at 1:48:50 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I really don't see the value of being this cheap, assuming that you can afford it (ie, that $20 won't stop you from being able to buy groceries or pay rent). There is no point in having money if you are not going to enjoy life.

Don't expect much support on this considering the forum we are on lol
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 231
April 6th, 2014 at 2:14:32 PM permalink
The $10.50 is about the same real value as the $4 it cost in 1981.

That being said the concessions were always way overpriced, but I have talked to a theater manager who told his execs that they were pushing too far with it. He has run the same place for over 20 years and sees that people expect to pay a little more, but they are not going to pay $8 for a fountain Coca-Cola even if you give people a gallon jug of it. They will just sneak in some candy and that will be that.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 6th, 2014 at 2:15:54 PM permalink
I can stick a lot of candy/pop in my pockets if I need to. Therefore the movie theater gets no concession money from me.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 6th, 2014 at 2:27:43 PM permalink
One stadium owner told his franchised food outlets to lower their prices and increase their portions or face getting booted out a prime location. He even instituted picnic tables in the stadium and invited patrons to bring things in from outside. Steam cleans the entire stadium each day. Increased lighting in parking lots.

...........And he is making more money now than he ever did before.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 6th, 2014 at 2:58:43 PM permalink
Quote: Lemieux66

Don't expect much support on this considering the forum we are on lol

I expect intelligent people to value things rationally. I also expect people here to understand the logarithmic utility of money.

Obviously if you don't have enough money to pay rent or buy gas or groceries, then it would be foolish to spend $50 to take your wife and daughter to the movies.

But, if you are relatively well-off, then I'd argue that the enjoyable day with your family has a lot more utility to you than that $50. You can always make more money, but you can't make more time. When you are on your death-bed, you are not going to say, gee, I wish I had not spent so much money at the movies, but you may very well say, gee, I wish I had spent more time enjoying myself with my family.

I spent $400 on lunch yesterday ($400 was my portion; I was with friends and we all payed our share). I am also not a wine drinker; the wine drinkers spent closer to $700 or $800 each. It was completely worth it, IMO. You can talk about what I could have done with that $400, but all that I really would have done with it is let it sit in the bank. Sure, the pile of money that I have left over when I die will be a little bit smaller, but so what? Is the point of life to die with as much money left over as possible, or to enjoy life as much as possible?
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
April 6th, 2014 at 3:12:13 PM permalink
The Movie Industry's business model has always been monopolistic, IMO. From what I understand, concession prices are outrageous because the Studios demand that exhibitors give them essentially all of the ticket revenues for the first month of a new movie's showings. The only profit for the theater operator in that month is... Concessions.

Once the first month goes by, if the film has remained popular, the Theater owner gets a share of the ticket revenues. Crazy system.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
April 6th, 2014 at 3:34:04 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I expect intelligent people to value things rationally. I also expect people here to understand the logarithmic utility of money.

Obviously if you don't have enough money to pay rent or buy gas or groceries, then it would be foolish to spend $50 to take your wife and daughter to the movies.

But, if you are relatively well-off, then I'd argue that the enjoyable day with your family has a lot more utility to you than that $50. You can always make more money, but you can't make more time. When you are on your death-bed, you are not going to say, gee, I wish I had not spent so much money at the movies, but you may very well say, gee, I wish I had spent more time enjoying myself with my family.

I spent $400 on lunch yesterday ($400 was my portion; I was with friends and we all payed our share). I am also not a wine drinker; the wine drinkers spent closer to $700 or $800 each. It was completely worth it, IMO. You can talk about what I could have done with that $400, but all that I really would have done with it is let it sit in the bank. Sure, the pile of money that I have left over when I die will be a little bit smaller, but so what? Is the point of life to die with as much money left over as possible, or to enjoy life as much as possible?

I can't argue with you on this because it's your own viewpoint and I respect it. I just have tons less money than you do in general so I can't justify spending $20 on movie food much less $400 on a dinner. Maybe one day I will when I gain significant wealth.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 6th, 2014 at 7:54:05 PM permalink
Quote: Lemieux66

I can't argue with you on this because it's your own viewpoint and I respect it. I just have tons less money than you do in general so I can't justify spending $20 on movie food much less $400 on a dinner. Maybe one day I will when I gain significant wealth.

Some people get a kick out of saving money. It's part of how they enjoy life. I'm one of those people.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 6th, 2014 at 8:06:24 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Some people get a kick out of saving money. It's part of how they enjoy life. I'm one of those people.

I guess I understand that? As long as you are really enjoying yourself, I guess I can't argue with it.

Don't get me wrong -- I am greedy as all hell and I love money. But, the only reason I want money is because I know that I can use it to get stuff. If I'm not going to get stuff with it, it loses all its value.

That also doesn't mean that I spend recklessly. In addition to being greedy, I'm also very lazy and I hate working, so I save lots of money so that I can (hopefully) retire at some point and continue to maintain a high standard of living. It's sort of a balance between enjoying my life now and enjoying it later.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 6th, 2014 at 8:30:08 PM permalink
I guess this really just boils down to what excites you, what you enjoy and how much you are willing to pay to get it.

Here is my thought process......I would never want to watch a movie without popcorn and a soda. This is purely my ritual. I go to the movies maybe once a week, I pay $8 for the matinee and I buy myself a medium popcorn with butter and a medium drink. I politely request that the young person working the counter doesn't put more than maybe an inch of ice in the bottom. I get my fill, I enjoy the popcorn so much that I almost finish it by the time the previews are done. As an added bonus the fibre scrapes the insides of my intestines and I have an excellent bowle movement by the time I get home.

I'm going to pay $12-95 for the soda/popcorn combo even though I know I'm getting shafted. I might even sometimes throw in an ice cream candy bar when the hot Vegas sun is really sweltering....It is my super, duper indulgence and I won't stop.

The things I love in this world....horses first, wife and dog second, movies 3rd and family 4th.....I have my priorities straight :)

Money is only a problem when you don't have enough of it or you are forced to spend it on things you don't want to.

I was going to launch into a "value" tirade but then I realized most people don't believe in value here, so why bother :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill

• Jump to: