Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
October 21st, 2012 at 6:17:13 AM permalink
Quote: tsmith

odiousgambit isn't saying the bet was a scam, just the "bully" drama part of it, which defrauded nobody of anything.

I see the possibility of that interpretation. Then I take it as a personal affront. That is calling me a liar. It was no put on.
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
October 21st, 2012 at 6:25:30 AM permalink
My goodness, but you're in a touchy mood this morning.

Adding a little pre-planned drama to a 9-month-long otherwise boring event wouldn't have been out of the realm of possibility and no worse than what some reality shows do with their creative editing keep the audience interested and talking about it.
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
October 21st, 2012 at 8:15:01 AM permalink
I'd met HB twice before her weight loss and can state that the original photo's of her were true to life.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
October 21st, 2012 at 9:49:17 AM permalink
Quote: Switch

I'd met HB twice before her weight loss and can state that the original photo's of her were true to life.

So can I.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
October 21st, 2012 at 3:09:54 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The Wiz can certainly weigh in as well.....

Yo Soopoo, you forgot to add "No Pun Intended" !
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 21st, 2012 at 3:19:24 PM permalink

You basically are saying that our host, the Wizard, participated in a scam to defraud members of his forum.

I think no investigation into the charges is needed.
The Wiz forked over his end, everybody is happy,
why can't we all just get along. Are we really going
to milk this thread for another 200 posts?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
October 21st, 2012 at 4:53:16 PM permalink
Bob is right. If ever there was a time to lock up a thread, it is now. Move along now, nothing more to see....
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 21st, 2012 at 10:49:26 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Bob is right. If ever there was a time to lock up a thread, it is now. Move along now, nothing more to see....

Correct...... Until I launch the next weight loss challenge.... Details to follow....
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 21st, 2012 at 10:53:27 PM permalink

Correct...... Until I launch the next weight loss challenge.... Details to follow....

What, you're going to drop 30 pounds? We've
seen your pic's, dude..

You drop 30, HB drops another 25, I hear
wedding bells. Am I wrong? Am I wrong?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 21st, 2012 at 11:26:21 PM permalink
How about a weight GAIN challenge?

With enough Cheez-Its, all things are possible.
"What, me worry?"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
October 22nd, 2012 at 12:49:10 AM permalink

As I've said to many of the posters here, mostly via pm, I'll bet if you and I sat across a table over a couple of beers you would understand me much better than internet postings make me appear.....

I agree with this comment, having had a few beers with SOOPOO (albeit not across the table, as we were both standing next to the craps table).

As I posted in my blog just now. SOOPOO and HotBlonde are both nice people. Salt of the earth, really.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 22nd, 2012 at 3:02:27 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

What, you're going to drop 30 pounds? We've
seen your pic's, dude..

You drop 30, HB drops another 25, I hear
wedding bells. Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

Are they planning a yummy honeymoon?

"Yummy Yummy Yummy" Ohio Express 1968

Do not listen to this song without bubble gum- lots of bubble gum.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
October 22nd, 2012 at 4:31:15 PM permalink
Well, from what I understand, sunrise089 is making arrangements to pay the amount he bet. So I'll get paid on that soon. But texasplumr who wagered $100 has not contacted me to make arrangements on how to pay me, and Lucyjr who bet $180 against me has not yet read or responded to my PM I sent him after the weigh in.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
October 22nd, 2012 at 4:37:54 PM permalink
I hope you get every penny owed to you. As an ex-bookie, I HATE people that don't pay.

I have some goons that worked for me that may be able to assist?
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
October 22nd, 2012 at 4:41:01 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

I hope you get every penny owed to you. As an ex-bookie, I HATE people that don't pay.

I have some goons that worked for me that may be able to assist?

i appreciate your gesture. I'm hoping if those two have any honor they will be men and do the right thing.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 22nd, 2012 at 8:02:12 PM permalink
I can confirm I've received payment from sunrise089 via PayPal.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 24th, 2012 at 10:28:52 PM permalink
Before this stupid thread dies forever, we need to
push it to 2500 posts. Then close it!
MrV
MrV
October 25th, 2012 at 12:26:59 AM permalink
OK.

On your mark ...
"What, me worry?"
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
October 25th, 2012 at 5:19:07 AM permalink
get set
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 25th, 2012 at 5:26:08 AM permalink
diet.
(or)
exercise.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
October 25th, 2012 at 7:43:48 AM permalink
Penultimate...
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 25th, 2012 at 7:46:47 AM permalink
If you don't want to post here, don't post here.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
October 25th, 2012 at 11:36:30 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I agree with this comment, having had a few beers with SOOPOO (albeit not across the table, as we were both standing next to the craps table).

As I posted in my blog just now. SOOPOO and HotBlonde are both nice people. Salt of the earth, really.

I forgot two short items from my meeting with HB/SOOPOO/teddys:

Let the record show that SOOPOO called a hard 10 and then rolled it! I believe he was using the "chicken feeder" throw.

Also I spilled beer on Teddy's shoes (at the craps table) and he still picked up my dinner with his B-Connected points (I mentioned this in my blog but wanted to make sure he got credit for being a nice guy).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 25th, 2012 at 11:59:38 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

If you don't want to post here, don't post here.

All that leadup, and THIS was #2,500. that's pretty funny:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 25th, 2012 at 12:22:41 PM permalink
I'd like to report I've received $50 from odiusgambit to satisfy his debt.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 25th, 2012 at 12:29:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'd like to report I've received $50 from odiusgambit to satisfy his debt.

Send it over to the Nugget, I hear HB might still be
in Vegas chasing the 6 grand she's lost since last
week. Easy come easy go..
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 26th, 2012 at 6:53:26 PM permalink

Send it over to the Nugget, I hear HB might still be
in Vegas chasing the 6 grand she's lost since last
week. Easy come easy go..

And how would you possibly know how HB did at the table? I saw her play exactly 6 hands of BJ and she was 6 - 0.

Anyway, I am reviving this thread to find out if lucyjr and texasplummer have fulfilled their debt to HB? i am hoping so, as that would mean an anonynmous group of people on the internet all came together and executed a wager fair and square. I would hope we hit the 100% mark!

So--- Wiz? HB? is the bet complete?
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 26th, 2012 at 7:24:40 PM permalink

And how would you possibly know how HB did at the table?

How could you possibly know how she did after you left?
It was a week ago.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 26th, 2012 at 11:11:50 PM permalink

How could you possibly know how she did after you left?
It was a week ago.

How could YOU possibly know how she did when you where never there? Or are you two bosom chums offline, communicating each week on your precise gambling habits?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 27th, 2012 at 12:59:16 AM permalink

So--- Wiz? HB? is the bet complete?

Other than lucyjr and texasplummer, I call the bet complete. Thanks to all the gentleman who honored their wagers. I think about the only other thing left is DorothyGale's final remarks.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2012 at 10:47:05 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

How could YOU possibly know how she did when you where never there?

Lucky guess. We'll never know for sure because
she visits here every day and never posts. So
my guess is she lost most of it and is super
pissed at herself. She can come here and deny
it, but I have the right to my opinion. Anytime
anything good happens, like her having a winning
few days in Vegas, she always brags about it here.
The silence we've heard is speaking volumes. And
its too late to erase that silence.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 27th, 2012 at 12:10:07 PM permalink

Other than lucyjr and texasplummer, I call the bet complete. Thanks to all the gentleman who honored their wagers. I think about the only other thing left is DorothyGale's final remarks.

I am requesting that both lucyjr and texasplummer be sent a pm from an administrator, and if they don't pay in a reasonable period of time, be given the 'nuclear option'.
I too am interested in our resident Kansan's take on the entire affair.....
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
October 27th, 2012 at 12:16:45 PM permalink

I think about the only other thing left is DorothyGale's final remarks.

Toto, we're home – home! And this is my room – and you're all here – and I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again, because I love you all! And... oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home!
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 27th, 2012 at 12:17:13 PM permalink

Kansas? I thought The Land of Oz was Australia!
MrV
MrV
October 27th, 2012 at 12:53:15 PM permalink

I am requesting that both lucyjr and texasplummer be sent a pm from an administrator, and if they don't pay in a reasonable period of time, be given the 'nuclear option'.

I have to ask: where is it stated in the board's rules that such conduct is proscribed, and deemed an offense warranting being banned?

The question, of course, is rhetorical.

Banning them as you suggest would be dictatorial.
"What, me worry?"
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
October 27th, 2012 at 2:22:51 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I have to ask: where is it stated in the board's rules that such conduct is proscribed, and deemed an offense warranting being banned?

I think it would fall into the ungentlemanly behavior clause.
MrV
MrV
October 27th, 2012 at 2:31:39 PM permalink
'Twould be ironic, indeed, if a member who welshed caused such a furor and upheaval among the forum members that one or more posters got banned for Personal Insult of the welsher.

I would expect, in all fairness, that an admin would treat the case the same as any other, with their fingers poised over the "ban" button, same as always.
"What, me worry?"
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
October 27th, 2012 at 6:24:58 PM permalink
I realized, thinking about it just now, that I do owe this thread a few final words ...

Back in June, after consideration and some research on NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder), I recognized that there was real danger to HB from this thread ... I posted about NPD and how well it fit HB, and that the diagnosis was obvious .. and that gave me pause to consider the dark side of NPD, which is highly lethal suicidal thinking ... read the conclusions here in case you don't quite get what I'm saying ... .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19607766

Based on some of what she was saying and doing, I believed she was heading in the self-harm direction and it scared me ... she may still be heading that direction, especially if she puts weight on quickly or has lost a substantial part of her winnings gaming ... which is what a person with NPD would be likely to do ...

I felt that if I was a member of this site, I would inevitably post in this thread, and that couldn't possibly be a good thing for her as I usually get right to the matter at hand ... I too am impulsive ... too smart and too dumb ... my hands are too large and my fingers are too small ... I had to get out of the way of the tornado ... I could not stand the thought of what it would mean for my life if she harmed herself and I was any part of the reason ...

And somewhere along the way, I felt it all started getting very dark, a group who obsessed over this darkness, for months, who would not let it go, and who fought big and little battles over it, in private PMs, on the public boards, in telephone calls, private e-mails, and who knows what else, but I heard enough to believe it was much darker than anyone can really say ...

So I had to leave for a while, until the time passed when through my participation I could be complicit in any way with HB and the possible consequence to her health and life, which is still not clear ... she needed help, she needs help, she is still in desperate need of help ... and this wager and this thread was exactly the wrong way to help her ...

Until HB leaves this thread, until she is no longer reading it and digesting it and letting it affect her, until the wager she made with you has passed into her cloud of time, until she has found safety, there is danger being here ...
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 27th, 2012 at 8:39:33 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

I realized, thinking about it just now, that I do owe this thread a few final words ...

Back in June, after consideration and some research on NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder), I recognized that there was real danger to HB from this thread ... I posted about NPD and how well it fit HB, and that the diagnosis was obvious .. and that gave me pause to consider the dark side of NPD, which is highly lethal suicidal thinking ... read the conclusions here in case you don't quite get what I'm saying ... .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19607766

Based on some of what she was saying and doing, I believed she was heading in the self-harm direction and it scared me ... she may still be heading that direction, especially if she puts weight on quickly or has lost a substantial part of her winnings gaming ... which is what a person with NPD would be likely to do ...

I felt that if I was a member of this site, I would inevitably post in this thread, and that couldn't possibly be a good thing for her as I usually get right to the matter at hand ... I too am impulsive ... too smart and too dumb ... my hands are too large and my fingers are too small ... I had to get out of the way of the tornado ... I could not stand the thought of what it would mean for my life if she harmed herself and I was any part of the reason ...

And somewhere along the way, I felt it all started getting very dark, a group who obsessed over this darkness, for months, who would not let it go, and who fought big and little battles over it, in private PMs, on the public boards, in telephone calls, private e-mails, and who knows what else, but I heard enough to believe it was much darker than anyone can really say ...

So I had to leave for a while, until the time passed when through my participation I could be complicit in any way with HB and the possible consequence to her health and life, which is still not clear ... she needed help, she needs help, she is still in desperate need of help ... and this wager and this thread was exactly the wrong way to help her ...

Until HB leaves this thread, until she is no longer reading it and digesting it and letting it affect her, until the wager she made with you has passed into her cloud of time, until she has found safety, there is danger being here ...

I understand what you are saying, but don't you believe in individual responsibility? If HB did harm to herself and subsequently she blamed your post detailing her narcissistic personality disorder, would you then say that you were responsible?
At present, the only thing I can say about HB comparing her now to when she started the challenge is that she is in way better shape, thus way better health. As far as her mental health, there is absolutely no way to tell. It is totally possible that WITHOUT the challenge she may have looked herself in the mirror on October 17, seen an unhealthy obese woman, and sunk into a deep depression because of it. Who knows.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 27th, 2012 at 9:01:13 PM permalink

I cannot speak for The Wiz, but I would respectfully state that I have no intention of nuking anyone, though I would be happy to send a, "Reminder," PM.

The reason that I wouldn't nuke them is simply because it is one of those rare circumstances in which the Internet mirrors RL. By this, I mean that bets are made by people who are presumed to be acting in good faith and some people will pay the bets in a timely way, some will pay late, some will pay VERY late and some not at all.

IRL, if someone welches on a bet, then that person generally lays low for awhile, and in the event that he/she does ever come back, then he/she is mercilessly ridiculed and berated about non-payment until he/she finally pays or disappears never to be seen again. I'm not saying that anyone should berate someone that doesn't make arrangements to pay a bet, even if it is pursuant to the Statler and Waldorf standard, and I'm certainly not saying that every Forum Member that has any interest in the bet whatsoever should inundate those who have failed to make arrangements to pay mercilessly with PM's until they log on just to turn PM's off so that they stop getting E-Mails, and not just Admins.

...I'd never suggest either of those things.

...Not under any circumstances.

...No, not me.

...You've got the wrong guy.

The point is that the person just keeps getting ragged on, and when he/she finally does pay, you pretend that you forgive them for the delayed payment and then you never enter into a bet with that person again. Every bet should see resolution, and payment is what truly and finally resolves a bet, so it is almost better to simply lose a bet than win and not be paid.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 28th, 2012 at 4:48:44 AM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

Someone's really jealous.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2012 at 8:16:37 AM permalink

Everybody knows that I believe very strongly in the sanctity of a bet. If you lose you pay. No excuses.

That said, one issue to come up from time to time in this thread is the legality of it. Some have likened it to "wagering on the Internet." I have always maintained that there were just friendly bets, based on the honor system. If I were to take punitve action for not honoring losing bets then it they would start becoming more like wagers than bets. So, I am leaving it up to the individuals to pay.

However, I think most of us here honor our own bets and don't look kindly on welchers. Should lucyjr or texasplummer show their faces I trust the community, including me, will take them to task for not paying.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 28th, 2012 at 3:57:03 PM permalink

Everybody knows that I believe very strongly in the sanctity of a bet. If you lose you pay. No excuses.

That said, one issue to come up from time to time in this thread is the legality of it. Some have likened it to "wagering on the Internet." I have always maintained that there were just friendly bets, based on the honor system. If I were to take punitve action for not honoring losing bets then it they would start becoming more like wagers than bets. So, I am leaving it up to the individuals to pay.

However, I think most of us here honor our own bets and don't look kindly on welchers. Should lucyjr or texasplummer show their faces I trust the community, including me, will take them to task for not paying.

I'm very surprised by the Wiz's take on this. I would say that on a gambling forum welshing is the worst action a member can do. FAR worse than calling someone a name, FAR worse than using a second identity to get around a suspension, FAR worse than pretty much anything I can think of....
I of course hope that the two laggards have paid HB, and we just don't have that info. HB hasn't posted in a while....
MrV
MrV
October 28th, 2012 at 4:06:45 PM permalink

I would say that on a gambling forum welshing is the worst action a member can do. FAR worse than calling someone a name, FAR worse than using a second identity to get around a suspension, FAR worse than pretty much anything I can think of....

So then, the Wiz should ban based on a member's behavior in the real world, regardless as to the content of their posts?

Is THAT what you are saying?

Hey, I exceeded the speed limit by 5 mph yesterday; should I be banned for that?

The Wiz should ban for violation of the rules only.

Your attempt to legislate morality is noted and rejected as Absurd.
"What, me worry?"
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 28th, 2012 at 4:38:13 PM permalink

I'm very surprised by the Wiz's take on this. I would say that on a gambling forum welshing is the worst action a member can do. FAR worse than calling someone a name, FAR worse than using a second identity to get around a suspension, FAR worse than pretty much anything I can think of....

When I was a kid and later as a collector, there were two things i hated. One was anybody who welshed on a bet. the second was
seeing a guy choke when I had money on him. No that I am almost grown up, I have added guys who don't pay child support to that list.

SOOPOO, you are 100 % correct in your opinion !!!!!!

Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 28th, 2012 at 4:41:49 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

So then, the Wiz should ban based on a member's behavior in the real world, regardless as to the content of their posts?

Is THAT what you are saying?

Hey, I exceeded the speed limit by 5 mph yesterday; should I be banned for that?

The Wiz should ban for violation of the rules only.

Your attempt to legislate morality is noted and rejected as Absurd.

By who? You? LOL! Feeble attempt at an analogy, by the way! The 'behavior in the real world' was DIRECTLY related to a WoV thread and a WoV bet. The 'content of their posts' was to promise payment to another member based on a certain condition being met. The condition was met. I stand by my suggestion that if they welsh, they should be permanently banned.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
October 28th, 2012 at 4:45:52 PM permalink
public shunning works equally well as a ban, and actually delivers a stronger message.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
MrV
MrV
October 28th, 2012 at 5:10:36 PM permalink
I could care less whether they welsh on a private, arguably ILLEGAL bet.

That is between them, and NOT any of your or the Wiz's concern.

Let them stiff her.

Move on ...
"What, me worry?"
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
October 28th, 2012 at 5:38:05 PM permalink
If the wizard imposes sanctions on those who don't pay up he is in essence condoning "illegal gambling" And as his virtual attorney for the day I am strongly advising against it. Furthermore if you consider yourself a friend of the wizard you should reconsider asking him to put himself in such a prercarious situation.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
October 28th, 2012 at 5:39:05 PM permalink
I think it's best to withhold judgment until we've actually heard from them. If they pop back up here and try to pretend nothing ever happened, they'll deserve all the vitriol they get, but for now, let's just see.

Lucyjr disappeared long enough ago, and spent little enough time here in the first place, that it might have just stupidly slipped off her radar. texasplumr, on the other hand, especially him having put HB on ignore, I can't see as having done anything else but taken the money and run... but hell, I've seen The Upside of Anger.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
  • Jump to: