8 votes (36.36%)
14 votes (63.63%)

22 members have voted

mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
February 17th, 2011 at 9:42:07 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Ah, sorry, I completely mistook someone posting like an asshat, with someone actually being an asshat.

It's hard sometimes to tell the difference between the actions someone takes and their inner nature.

I make no such mistake with you; it is a certainty that the tone and nature of your posts are indeed reflective of your inner nature.

Which is kind of frightening.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 17th, 2011 at 9:43:43 AM permalink
Thanks, Freud.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
February 17th, 2011 at 10:08:58 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Thanks, Freud.

I don't need to be a psychiatrist to scope you out. Your hatred for me is irrational, and is largely based on your perception of me as "the enemy" (i.e., in supposed opposition to a group to which you belong).

Relax. Don't displace your anger; I don't want it, need it, or deserve it. Take a few moments for quiet introspection and try to divine the source of your inner rage. Then you might realize that I'm an inappropriate target for it.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
discflicker
discflicker
  • Threads: 31
February 17th, 2011 at 10:41:12 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I don't need to be a psychiatrist to scope you out. Your hatred for me is irrational, and is largely based on your perception of me as "the enemy" (i.e., in supposed opposition to a group to which you belong).

Relax. Don't displace your anger; I don't want it, need it, or deserve it. Take a few moments for quiet introspection and try to divine the source of your inner rage. Then you might realize that I'm an inappropriate target for it.

exsqueeze me,

what does that have to do with the math/reality topic?

sorry, i'm a newbie on this forum, what am i missing?

thecesspit, mathex, djteddy, etc. only post reasonable stuff. it requires an unreasonable perception to interpret their words as personal, irrational or hateful. it takes a thick skin to argue with smart people and not get defensive, a skill that must be acquired (by both of us). these guys are too smart to let you bring 'em down to your level and then beat em with stupidity, and too smart to even try bullshittting.

my advice:

at least mention something about the topic and make it fit in somehow, even though "ODDS ARE" everyone still knows its a thread hijack for personal soapbox reasons.
The difference between zero and the smallest possible number? It doesn't matter; once you cross that edge, it might as well be the difference between zero and 1. The difference between infinity and reality? They are mutually exclusive.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 17th, 2011 at 11:38:48 AM permalink
Quote: discflicker

exsqueeze me,

what does that have to do with the math/reality topic?

sorry, i'm a newbie on this forum, what am i missing?

thecesspit, mathex, djteddy, etc. only post reasonable stuff. it requires an unreasonable perception to interpret their words as personal, irrational or hateful. it takes a thick skin to argue with smart people and not get defensive, a skill that must be acquired (by both of us). these guys are too smart to let you bring 'em down to your level and then beat em with stupidity, and too smart to even try bullshittting.

my advice:

at least mention something about the topic and make it fit in somehow, even though "ODDS ARE" everyone still knows its a thread hijack for personal soapbox reasons.

Sorry, an arguement from elsewhere seems to have spilled over here. I am sure I'm to blame for my part in it, but sometimes threads wander and someone comes and derails it, and I continue the derailment with my large pair of bolt cutters.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: