Thread Rating:

Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
May 4th, 2020 at 8:57:19 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I'm pretty sure my local Publix Supermarket would replace bad produce free of charge, based on my word alone. No thievin' necessary.

BTW, do all supermarkets across the country have 'one way' aisles now? Has anyone found one where the shoppers actually comply with this?

In GA I have yet to see a supermarket that has one way isles. But, I doubt people would follow it anyway.

Here they have makers where each person is to stand in line (to maintain social distancing) and instruction not to load groceries onto the belt until the person in front of you has completely checked out. Most people ignore these rules and get aggravated at you when you try to verbally correct them..... So I doubt people would follow isle traffic markings....
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 4th, 2020 at 9:13:32 AM permalink
Most military commissaries have had one-way aisles for years. It actually makes things easier and you can squeeze an extra aisle in by narrowing them. From personal observation, most people honor them, but may leave their cart and walk own the wrong way to grab an item.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
May 4th, 2020 at 9:13:50 AM permalink

I'm pretty sure my local Publix Supermarket would replace bad produce free of charge, based on my word alone. No thievin' necessary.

BTW, do all supermarkets across the country have 'one way' aisles now? Has anyone found one where the shoppers actually comply with this?

I follow, but sometimes still start shopping without thinking about it. Too much of old dog, new tricks principle working against me.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
May 4th, 2020 at 9:56:08 AM permalink

Not without a RECEIPT they wouldn't. Not
$62.50 worth of produce. I couldn't find
the RECEIPT because I took too long to
look for it. It was a week before I realized
every avocado was bad. So I cut out the
middleman and just took what I deserved.

Been going to stores since 1965 when
I started driving. With things like meat
and produce they ALWAYS say go and
replace it and bring it to the counter
and we'll make it good. But you MUST
have the RECEIPT, which I did not.

Get it? Got it? GOOD!!!!!
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 4th, 2020 at 9:57:41 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

billryan
billryan
May 4th, 2020 at 10:11:23 AM permalink

Assuming you have some slight skills when it comes to picking produce after shopping since 1965, if all the produce you bought went bad either the store should be aware of a problem or you stored them wrong.
I can't imagine a store would hesitate to replace your purchases, receipt or not. Surely, you can't be the only person hoodwinked into buying sub-standard produce from them.
Why do bad things always happen to good people?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
May 4th, 2020 at 10:31:03 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Assuming you have some slight skills when it comes to picking produce after shopping since 1965, if all the produce you bought went bad either the store should be aware of a problem or you stored them wrong.
I can't imagine a store would hesitate to replace your purchases, receipt or not. Surely, you can't be the only person hoodwinked into buying sub-standard produce from them.
Why do bad things always happen to good people?

For the same reason that good poker players get sucked out on more than bad players.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
May 4th, 2020 at 10:36:17 AM permalink

Went to the store for the first time
in a month. I eat a lot of avocado's,
one a day for the last 3 years. I'm
an avocado expert.

Last month I bought 25 of them,
cost over $50. They looked fine,
not even ripe yet. A couple days
later opened the first one and it
was black inside. Say WHAT? The
outside gave no indication at all.
Turns out they were all rotten.
They must have got frozen some
time along the way.

I didn't have the receipt, they aren't
giving refunds anyway during this
time. Fine. I got 25 avocado's and
in the produce section they have
weigh stations where you weigh
and get a price sticker for check
out. I put all 25 in a big corn bag
and when it said 'quantity, instead
of 25 I entered 1. Total was $2.50
for what should have cost over $50.

Got my satisfaction, they owed me
25 avocados.

EvenBob,

Leaving aside the petty theft, I have a serious question for you or any other avocado experts in the crowd:

I like to have an avocado each morning, but I find it I buy more than a half-dozen at a time, the last ones are way over-ripe before I get to them. I store the avocados in the refrigerator.

Am I doing something wrong? How can you keep two dozen good to eat for weeks on end?

Dog Hand
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 4th, 2020 at 10:46:06 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I can't imagine a store would hesitate to replace your purchases, receipt or not.

Tell you what. Go into your local
whatever store and tell them you
want them to replace $62.50
worth of produce and you have
no receipt. Then get back to us.
Both Walmart and the grocery
chain I go to will not even talk
to you without a receipt.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 4th, 2020 at 10:48:58 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Am I doing something wrong? How can you keep two dozen good to eat for weeks on end?

You have to fridge them when they
are just starting to get ripe. And the
fridge has to be 34-35 degrees. I
use a dorm size fridge for produce
because it's much easier to keep
them that cold. A big kitchen fridge
tends to be more towards the upper
30's. They have still been good in
my dorm fridge 30 days later. It
suspends the ripening totally.

You can also freeze avocado's. Peel,
remove the pit and freeze. They are
almost like fresh when thawed.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 4th, 2020 at 3:40:06 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I have a friend that makes a good middle class living, probably around $100k and he steals at the grocery store from the self serve checkouts. I just shake my head and can't imagine why he would do that. It disgusts me.

I appreciate your friend, thank him for me.

I always go to a checkout counter that has a checker, even if I have to wait in line and ten self serves are open.

Stores have come to me and shuttled me over to a self check out aisle and provided me a service checker, against my consternation.

I'd rather pay more for grocery's and help create a job for someone checking, especially if it's a union store.

Same thing in Oregon, I will drive over from Wash. just so some person has a job filling up my gas tank instead of paying the same price for gas in Wash. for self serve.

It is people that had to save 2 cents on a blouse that were the cause of offshoring our manufacturing base. Well, that and corporate government crony's that lobbyists bribed.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
May 4th, 2020 at 7:19:16 PM permalink

NOPE!

Mrs. Joeman has gotten replacements without a receipt at Publix for years. You just gotta pick the right stores to shop at and they will work with you. The managers at Publix have a LOT of leeway, and will bend over backwards to keep their customers happy.

Good job with getting away with your petty larceny, though!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 4th, 2020 at 9:08:51 PM permalink

Mrs. Joeman has gotten replacements without a receipt at Publix for years.

For $62 worth? No store is
going to take your word
for it and just replace the
produce. Why would they,
it's far too much money.
Certainly not the store I
was at and for sure not
Walmart. They have signs
that say no receipt not
refund. I got some bad fish
at Walmart last year and had
thrown out the receipt. I had
the empty Walmart package
and they still refused a refund.
And they know me at that store.
No receipt no refund period.

It's not petty larceny when
they owe it to me. I just did
what they would have told
me to do if I had a receipt.
Why should I eat $62.50
when I don't have to.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
Joeman
May 5th, 2020 at 5:29:17 AM permalink

going to take your word
produce. Why would they,
it's far too much money.
was at and for sure not
Walmart. They have signs
that say no receipt not

Why should I eat $62.50
when I don't have to.

FWIW...Joeman is correct about Publix. It's very likely, had you bought it there, if you simply brought the product in and showed them what was going on, they would replace any amount you claimed, with or without a receipt.

I have been a Publix customer nearly exclusively since 1997, and you would be shocked at what they are willing to do to make things right.

Another standard policy of theirs, for example, is that if the advertised or shelf price is different from the register price, you get it free if it rings up wrong. Doesn't matter if it's a hundred dollar side of ribeyes or a candy bar.

They will actively advise you at checkout if something's BOGO and you didn't get an even amount of them, and they will send the bagger to get it for you.

They are such a great chain (I recall I lauded them at length last year on DT, so I won't go on about it again) that my brother and SIL go there as a treat every time they come go Florida. They're that good.

They're so good they make it easy to boycott Walmart, now in my 22nd year of that.

They're so good, any quality search for customer satisfaction nationwide will list them 1st or 2nd among all grocery chains, and the same for employee satisfaction.

I'm lucky to have them nearby.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 5th, 2020 at 6:44:37 AM permalink
Same goes for Wegman’s in the northeast, Babs. You will get a store credit without a receipt. I mean, who would go through all the trouble to bring back that stuff?

Also, with today’s technology they could probably go back and find the transaction. You did swipe your shoppers club card, didn’t you? Or was anonymity preferable to the benefits?
A falling knife has no handle.
Joeman
Joeman
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 5th, 2020 at 7:33:56 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Same goes for Wegman’s in the northeast, Babs. You will get a store credit without a receipt. I mean, who would go through all the trouble to bring back that stuff?

Also, with today’s technology they could probably go back and find the transaction. You did swipe your shoppers club card, didn’t you? Or was anonymity preferable to the benefits?

No loyalty cards at Publix. As it should be. Unless there are no other options, I refuse to shop at a store where you don't get the best price unless you have a card.

As to Bab's point, almost all women I know will only shop at Publix. Well, at least up until the 'boutique' markets (Whole Foods/Fresh Market/Trader Joe's) started showing up, that is. They have always been a notch above. You may pay a bit more, but the customer service is worth it. Back in the day, they used to always bring your groceries out and put them in your car. I believe they will still do this today, but only upon request.
Gandler
Gandler
Thanked by
beachbumbabsJoeman
May 5th, 2020 at 7:49:10 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

FWIW...Joeman is correct about Publix. It's very likely, had you bought it there, if you simply brought the product in and showed them what was going on, they would replace any amount you claimed, with or without a receipt.

I have been a Publix customer nearly exclusively since 1997, and you would be shocked at what they are willing to do to make things right.

Another standard policy of theirs, for example, is that if the advertised or shelf price is different from the register price, you get it free if it rings up wrong. Doesn't matter if it's a hundred dollar side of ribeyes or a candy bar.

They will actively advise you at checkout if something's BOGO and you didn't get an even amount of them, and they will send the bagger to get it for you.

They are such a great chain (I recall I lauded them at length last year on DT, so I won't go on about it again) that my brother and SIL go there as a treat every time they come go Florida. They're that good.

They're so good they make it easy to boycott Walmart, now in my 22nd year of that.

They're so good, any quality search for customer satisfaction nationwide will list them 1st or 2nd among all grocery chains, and the same for employee satisfaction.

I'm lucky to have them nearby.

I agree 100%

Publix is amazing. It is employee owned. They treat their people well and it shows. Their workers are actually happy to be there and eager to help and answer questions (very rare in many other stores).
(Also, have friends that work there at various levels from HR to store positions and they all love their jobs, it seems to be a very positive and progressive work environment with amazing pay and benefits compared to equivalent positions in other companies).

They also do many great things on the pharmacy side for public health side like provide completely free antibiotics to customers with a prescription (no charge to you or insurance) as well as some other common meds like some high blood pressure meds and diabetes meds. I can't think of a single other private pharmacy that offers so many meds for free for as long as you need (as long as you have a legit prescription).

I agree that they are by far the best in the grocery businesses (I would also add pharmacy business). And, I would also encourage everyone to support them.

I can't claim like you to have completely boycotted Walmart (sometimes its just more convenient, especially in times like this when delivery is needed).

Also, as for this thread one of the first companies to implement good protective measures during this crisis (glass screening for employees, social distancing guidelines by lines etc....)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
May 5th, 2020 at 8:17:55 AM permalink
people like Publix a lot.... until they shop at a Wegmans! The few times I have had to get a refund they just hand you the cash you ask for, barely even paying attention to what the problem was. But to be fair to Bob, it never approached $62. There is probably some limit ($25?) that the kid can just hand out before he has to ask for some proof.
Gandler
Gandler
May 5th, 2020 at 8:44:04 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

people like Publix a lot.... until they shop at a Wegmans! The few times I have had to get a refund they just hand you the cash you ask for, barely even paying attention to what the problem was. But to be fair to Bob, it never approached $62. There is probably some limit ($25?) that the kid can just hand out before he has to ask for some proof.

They are in different regions, so you don't really have to choose between the two.

I have honestly never been in a Wegmans despite being in NJ most of my life. But, I know that many people love them so I am sure they are great.

But, I love Publix because of their employee-owned model. They have a lot of great programs. And, because it is a legitimately good company (you can sift the internet, talk to workers, talk to customers, and you will struggle to find a single negative thing about the company, they have not had a single layoff in their whole existence, and they are older than Walmart....).
(I mean don't get me wrong Publix also has great products, its not just the company I blindly love).
I don't know anything about Wegmans or their structure so I can't compare on that front either.
standbymyman
standbymyman
  • Threads: 1
Thanked by
Forager
May 5th, 2020 at 8:51:26 AM permalink

Screw those receipts. Even better, don't get receipts. You seem capable of stealing anything you need.
Joeman
Joeman
May 5th, 2020 at 8:58:26 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

They also do many great things on the pharmacy side for public health side like provide completely free antibiotics to customers with a prescription (no charge to you or insurance) as well as some other common meds like some high blood pressure meds and diabetes meds.

I completely forgot about this! (You can probably tell which one in my family goes to Publix regularly. Hint... it's not me!) That is another awesome service. Once, when I was travelling and I forgot my meds, they gave me a weekend's supply at no charge.

Back OT, there's talk that stores around here will start limiting fresh meat purchases to 2 items per shopper. The refrigerated meat shelves were about 1/3 full at 7:30 AM yesterday at Walmart, but they were restocking.
standbymyman
standbymyman
May 5th, 2020 at 8:59:47 AM permalink

going to take your word
produce. Why would they,
it's far too much money.
was at and for sure not
Walmart. They have signs
that say no receipt not

Why should I eat $62.50
when I don't have to.

If I were you, I dang sure wouldn't eat $62.50 either - that will buy you about $1500 of groceries.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 5th, 2020 at 9:34:01 AM permalink

FWIW...Joeman is correct about Publix. It's very likely, had you bought it there,

Never heard of Publix or Wegman's
or Granny's or Gert's or whatever
local store you have. I can guarantee
if you went into any of them with
no receipt and no product you bought
there, just your 'story' that you got
ripped off for $62.50, none of these
stores would give you squat. Go
ahead, try it just for the heck of
it. They would have people lined
up all day if that were the case.

After the 10th bad avocado I
started cutting them open at
random and threw them all out
2 weeks before I went back to the
store. So I had no receipt and no
product.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 5th, 2020 at 9:36:37 AM permalink
Quote: standbymyman

Screw those receipts. Even better, don't get receipts. You seem capable of stealing anything you need.

Really? You think I'm that good? Should
I move up from avocados to jewelry
stores and banks next? Make a
career out of it. Please advise me,
you opinion means so much.

Snicker..
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 5th, 2020 at 9:38:12 AM permalink

If I were you, I dang sure wouldn't eat $62.50 either - that will buy you about $1500 of groceries.

You can get $1500 worth of groceries
for $62.50 where you shop? Where
is that, so we can all shop there..
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
Thanked by
Joeman
May 5th, 2020 at 10:35:45 AM permalink

Last year Publix had a problem where their store-brand pepperoni sometimes had mold when first opened. Leaving the bad package of pepperoni in the car (expecting not to need it), I told Publix my problem. Others had experienced the same problem. Publix replaced it free. I had it happen a second time, and replaced.

I expect your grocery store would have been aware of YOUR avocado "problem," unless you just happened to pick each and every bad one, leaving only good avocados. Others -- folks who bought only a few -- probably would have called attention to the problem also. Yes, you would be "different" by the number of bad avocados you bought, but the store should have been aware of its avocado problem. Did you pay by cash?? If you paid by credit card, the store could probably pull up your credit card receipt if you know the day.

When the (now old) NEW-STYLE $20 bills first came out -- the ones where the picture is not centered -- I got my very first one as cash back from a check used to buy groceries. It was a very different kind of money in several ways that I had never seen. At home, my bill checker pen said it was bogus. I took it back to Publix the next day. I said I had gotten this bill as change yesterday, but I wonder if it's good or not. Two clerks at the help counter inspected it, said it looked valid to them. One went to get their bill checker. When it tested bad, one went into an office. The store manager came out. I explained. She paid me my $20, asking only that -- if I could find the receipt -- please provide it. I dug the receipt out of the paper recycles and on my next visit delivered it with a note of thanx. That's the Publix that I know.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
GandlerJoeman
May 5th, 2020 at 10:43:44 AM permalink
I should add, on the pharmacy side, Publix pays YOU to get your flu shot. Anyone can go in, insured or not, get your shot, and get a $10 Publix card good for anything they sell (except I think usps stamps, tobacco, or alcohol). They've done this for at least the last 3 years.

CVS, Walgreens, etc. do them for free. Publix goes the extra mile, as always.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
May 5th, 2020 at 10:51:53 AM permalink

You have to fridge them when they
are just starting to get ripe. And the
fridge has to be 34-35 degrees. I
use a dorm size fridge for produce
because it's much easier to keep
them that cold. A big kitchen fridge
tends to be more towards the upper
30's. They have still been good in
my dorm fridge 30 days later. It
suspends the ripening totally.

You can also freeze avocado's. Peel,
remove the pit and freeze. They are
almost like fresh when thawed.

EvenBob,

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to try freezing them, as the refrigerator is set at 37 F.

Dog Hand
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 5th, 2020 at 12:08:11 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

EvenBob,

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to try freezing them, as the refrigerator is set at 37 F.

Dog Hand

Not cold enough. It has to be 34-35, the
closer to freezing the better. If you have
a full size fridge the temp will vary in
different spots. It might be as high as
42 in crisper drawer at the bottom. With
a small 3 cubic foot fridge, it's all one
temp. All the produce I buy will keep
for a month in the small fridges. But
I know what not to buy also.

Don't trust the setting temp. Get an actual
thermometer and put it in different
spots.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 5th, 2020 at 12:14:46 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

I expect your grocery store would have been aware of YOUR avocado "problem," .

Doesn't matter, no receipt no refund.
Goody goody gumdrops for all
you people who have stores that
believe every story they hear and
will dole out refunds like an ATM.
I din't buy at those stores, here it's
ironclad, no receipt no refund.
Period. So I got my refund another
way. Good for me..
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
May 5th, 2020 at 6:44:49 PM permalink

Doesn't matter, no receipt no refund.
Goody goody gumdrops for all
you people who have stores that
believe every story they hear and
will dole out refunds like an ATM.
I din't buy at those stores, here it's
ironclad, no receipt no refund.
Period. So I got my refund another
way. Good for me..

Like everyone else in this thread is telling you, this just isn’t true.

MAYBE you couldn’t at some stores if you paid cash, but otherwise they will find the transaction in their system using the card you paid with. Literally every return I’ve made at any store in the last 5 years has been with no receipt.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 5th, 2020 at 10:42:03 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Like everyone else in this thread is telling you, this just isn’t true.

What isn't true. That the stores
I shop at have no receipt/no
return policies? Wanna bet? I'll
take pics of the signs next time
I'm in there.

You can go into your store and
they'll take your word you spent
$62.50 on bad produce? You truly
live in the land of OZ. I bought
my avocado's in a different world,
it's called no receipt/no refund.

Here's a short sample of Walmart's
return policy:

What items Cannot be returned to Walmart?

Software delivered by email (no returns, refunds or price reduction)
No returns or refunds on prepaid cellular phone cards and electronically fulfilled PINs or minutes.
Perishable items
Gift cards.
Alcohol

So even if I had the receipt at Walmart, no refund.

At the store where I bought the
avocados they have suspended
all returns because of the pandemic.
With no receipt and no items to
return anyway, it wouldn't have
mattered.
Marcusclark66
Marcusclark66
  • Threads: 33
May 6th, 2020 at 4:14:09 AM permalink
With the pandemic Wal-Mart has now changed. They added a bunch items to their, cannot return list including all clothing items, all paper goods, and more. I know, i tried with a receipt and 2stores flat out refused. Signs posted and it all started mid april. Even if it's completely sealed and wrapped in plastic such as an article of clothes for one of my children and a coloring book both items were completely sealed and wrapped in plastic they still refuse to return them because one is clothing item and the others a paper goods item. I didn't even want the money back and had a receipt showing cash 2 or 3 days earlier, I just wanted a store credit he wanted a different kind still absolutely no return.

As follows is Wal-Mart's Temp Return Policy:

"Temporary Return Policy Change

We are temporarily not processing returns/exchanges in our stores of: food, paper goods, home cleaning supplies, laundry soap, pharmacy, health & beauty and apparel.

If you need to return any item, including those above, and have a receipt, please start your return on the Walmart app or at . It’s easy and may allow you to complete your return without coming to the store.

If you’re not able to return the item online, don’t worry! Once returns reopen for impacted categories, we will be extending the return period by 6 weeks for those items."
Marcus Clark. Real Person; AKA MarcusClark66. *Professional Casino Security Expert. *Certified EMT *Certified Company Firearms Instructor. *Certified Gaming Regulations Interpreter for Corporate Applications. *Domestic UrbanTactical Combat Casualty Expert. *Tic-Tac-Toe Expert (Real Competitive Versions) & Mastering Chess. *Honorary & Official #1 Fan of the MDawg Adventures Club. *Mastering Cracking it. Bit-by-Bit, Piece-by-Piece Crediting Forum Members. *Certified Casino Property Entry & Exit Point Analyzer *Baccarat Winning Session Record: 12 out of 12 & 1 out of 1 Mini Session. Baccarat Losing Session Record: 2 Losing Sessions.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
May 6th, 2020 at 4:48:16 AM permalink

I have a friend that makes a good middle class living, probably around $100k and he steals at the grocery store from the self serve checkouts. I just shake my head and can't imagine why he would do that. It disgusts me.

I had it great a few months ago. Found some candy that was like $4.99 scanning for $1! I went back day after day, buying just 1-2 units a day. I knew if they saw me buying a bunch it would attract attention. So I just played it like if you found a gaffed slot. Take a little at a time. I think I bought out the shelf.

Took them 2 weeks or so to catch on. When they did I had them void the item, they gave me half a look.

Underscans are not my problem, I do not work there.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
May 6th, 2020 at 4:58:02 AM permalink

Wegman's has grocery owners from around the world dropping by to see how they run their stores. When I moved west I realized how good I had it with them. I got lucky as the one nearest the house I bought was remodeled at the same time. A different one I shopped at was featured in a magazine (I forget which) who had them rated as best employer in the USA.

Out west it was Fry's, a Kroger brand, and a few other has-beens. It was as if you went back in time to a grocery store 20 years before. Totally 1980s.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 6th, 2020 at 6:02:00 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I had it great a few months ago. Found some candy that was like $4.99 scanning for $1! I went back day after day, buying just 1-2 units a day. I knew if they saw me buying a bunch it would attract attention. So I just played it like if you found a gaffed slot. Take a little at a time. I think I bought out the shelf.

Took them 2 weeks or so to catch on. When they did I had them void the item, they gave me half a look.

Underscans are not my problem, I do not work there.

The store I go to has a policy that if an item scans for the wrong price you get the item for free.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
May 6th, 2020 at 6:39:28 AM permalink
Probably posted this years ago. My Wegman's was remodeling and it was shortly after Halloween. They have barrels of candy that you would scoop into a bag and pay by the pound. Like Snickers, Almond Joy, Hershey's bars, etc... Meant to be given away to trick or treaters. Usually sold for $2-3 a pound. There was a sign up saying 50 cents A BAG. We filled a bag, maybe 5 pounds, expecting to pay 50 cents a pound which was still a great deal. At the checkout the girl charged us 50 cents for the entire bag! We asked her if she was sure, and she said she was, that the store was trying to get rid of the Halloween candy. I can't remember how many bags we ended up getting (5?) but when we got home we emptied them all on the dining room table where they lasted for months, and that included giving lots away to anyone and everyone.
Probably the start of my diabetes.....
standbymyman
standbymyman
Thanked by
Forager
May 6th, 2020 at 8:23:01 AM permalink

Really? You think I'm that good? Should
I move up from avocados to jewelry
stores and banks next? Make a
career out of it. Please advise me,
you opinion means so much.

Snicker..

Sure, snickers, butterfingers …..whatever. Buy 1, steal 24 free. Works on just about anything. Couponing at its finest.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
May 6th, 2020 at 8:43:57 AM permalink

The store I go to has a policy that if an item scans for the wrong price you get the item for free.

This one does, too. But who am I to question if they are having some kind of silent sale?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 6th, 2020 at 8:51:11 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

This one does, too. But who am I to question if they are having some kind of silent sale?

My point is that you probably could have got it for free instead of paying $1.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 6th, 2020 at 9:10:09 AM permalink

Sure, snickers, butterfingers …..whatever. Buy 1, steal 24 free.

You do realize Snickers aren't sold
in produce so you can't put them
on the scale. Of course you don't
know that, obviously.. Have you
ever been in a real grocery store?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
May 6th, 2020 at 9:18:37 AM permalink

My point is that you probably could have got it for free instead of paying $1.

Get one for free or a whole shelf at a big discount??

ETA: It’s like a casino giving a small reward if you tell them about an AP play they don’t know about.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
May 6th, 2020 at 12:01:00 PM permalink

You do realize Snickers aren't sold
in produce so you can't put them
on the scale. Of course you don't
know that, obviously.. Have you
ever been in a real grocery store?

OK BOB... wrong again! Wegmans had the little ones in a big barrel, along with the other individual small size bars I mentioned. You could mix and match and weigh them and pay a per pound price. You apparently are stuck in a Walmart rut. Get out to a real grocery store! (We now call them newfangled stores "supermarkets"!
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 6th, 2020 at 12:06:36 PM permalink

OK BOB... wrong again! Wegmans had the little ones in a big barrel, along

We used to have bulk stuff like that
but they went away because too many
people were stealing coffee and nuts
and candy. Haven't seen bulk food
around here in years.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
May 6th, 2020 at 1:00:48 PM permalink

... too many people were stealing

Word on the street is that stealing is common in your part of the country. So sad.

Hmmm... Until the pandemic, Publix grocery stores sold bulk nuts (and candies also, I think). However, I sure hope the stores have removed the bulk dispensers for the duration of the pandemic.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 6th, 2020 at 1:10:15 PM permalink

Hmmm... Until the pandemic, Publix grocery stores sold bulk nuts (and candies also, I think). However, I sure hope the stores have removed the bulk dispensers for the duration of the pandemic.

Where I live, they have been sealed off with plastic wrap.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 6th, 2020 at 2:48:06 PM permalink

Word on the street is that stealing is common in your part of the country.

Unfortunate. It's why there are
no police or courts or jails
or cameras in the stores anyplace
else but here. I'm so envious you
live in crime free utopia.

Snicker..
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
May 6th, 2020 at 3:48:41 PM permalink

We used to have bulk stuff like that
but they went away because too many
people were stealing coffee and nuts
and candy. Haven't seen bulk food
around here in years.

Come to Buffalo/Niagara Falls and I will give you a tour of my local Wegmans. On Saturday and Sunday mornings you can roam around the store and get a full meal in tiny samples, one at a time!
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 6th, 2020 at 4:05:24 PM permalink

Come to Buffalo/Niagara Falls and I will give you a tour of my local Wegmans. On Saturday and Sunday mornings you can roam around the store and get a full meal in tiny samples, one at a time!

Never liked bulk food, too many
sticking their dirty germy hands
into the barrels for free samples.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
May 6th, 2020 at 4:17:30 PM permalink

Never liked bulk food, too many
sticking their dirty germy hands
into the barrels for free samples.

My wife is the same. She can't believe buffets even exist.
  • Jump to: