Thread Rating:

Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
October 19th, 2018 at 4:09:46 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

You don't get to cut entitlements unless Congress pays back the trillions they stole from those programs...

That is why they will never privatize SS or Medicare. If they did, they couldn’t steal their funds.

I did not mention any cuts to these programs.

Each year, Medicare recipients spend more of their Social Security checks on Medicare premiums.

Any cuts would have to apply to future recipients.

In ten years, interest on the debt will reach $1 trillion.

If we reduced military spending to zero, the deficit will still increase by $400 billion and more annually.

Complaints, but no solutions.
Tanko
Tanko
October 19th, 2018 at 4:35:38 AM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

All that blame, on everything but "the biggest tax cut in American history"

Those tax cuts spurred the economy and led to the creation of a record high seven million more job openings than applicants.

During the recession it was six applicants for every job.

Despite the tax cuts, Tax Revenues are up slightly, to a record high. The expenditures are the problem. Although, September showed a $119 billion surplus.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
October 19th, 2018 at 7:00:19 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Those tax cuts spurred the economy and led to the creation of a record high seven million more job openings than applicants.

Despite the tax cuts, Tax Revenues are up slightly, to a record high. The expenditures are the problem. Although, September showed a $119 billion surplus.

That is only part of the picture.

While income tax revenue is up, corporate tax revenue is down 31%

Yes, expenditures are the problem. The top two expenditures in the budget are the military and the debt service.

Military spending was increased, and the record deficits due to the record tax cuts lead to record borrowing which will soon make debt service the #1 expenditure in the budget.

There are several government reports that show that the tax cuts are not paying for themselves, and many articles that give a bigger picture than saying what things have improved while not mentioning any other consequences.

It is also highly irresponsible to make huge revenue cuts without spending cuts, and now it is hugely disingenuous to say, after the tax cuts have been made, that we can't afford x y and z because there isn't enough money.

You could spur a whole lot of economic growth by eliminating all taxes entirely. Obviously that would result in 0 tax revenue. There is a curve you can draw that, if you start with zero taxes, revenue is 0, then it increases as taxes go up, and then revenues decrease as taxes go beyond a certain point. The cut taxes to spur economic growth argument always completely ignores the nature of the curve, the current position.

The MODEST tax cuts to those who pay the bulk of their taxes via income tax seems to have increased tax revenue. However the bulk of the tax cuts have not been offset with greater revenues, and show little evidence that they will be able to do so.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 19th, 2018 at 8:02:20 AM permalink

It is also highly irresponsible to make huge revenue cuts without spending cuts

We have been at a point for a good while now where very few politicians care about this.

One side does it one way (the tax cuts), the other offers us Medicare/Medicaid for all at a cost of Trillions...which is just as unfunded (and would cost much, much more) as the tax cut.

I don't think the deficit/debt is really a solid issue for either party at this point.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 19th, 2018 at 8:04:07 AM permalink

That is only part of the picture.

Yes, expenditures are the problem. The top two expenditures in the budget are the military and the debt service.

Military spending was increased, and the record deficits due to the record tax cuts lead to record borrowing which will soon make debt service the #1 expenditure in the budget.

There are several government reports that show that the tax cuts are not paying for themselves, and many articles that give a bigger picture than saying what things have improved while not mentioning any other consequences.

It is also highly irresponsible to make huge revenue cuts without spending cuts, and now it is hugely disingenuous to say, after the tax cuts have been made, that we can't afford x y and z because there isn't enough money.

You could spur a whole lot of economic growth by eliminating all taxes entirely. Obviously that would result in 0 tax revenue. There is a curve you can draw that, if you start with zero taxes, revenue is 0, then it increases as taxes go up, and then revenues decrease as taxes go beyond a certain point. The cut taxes to spur economic growth argument always completely ignores the nature of the curve, the current position.

The MODEST tax cuts to those who pay the bulk of their taxes via income tax seems to have increased tax revenue. However the bulk of the tax cuts have not been offset with greater revenues, and show little evidence that they will be able to do so.

Great perspective on the big picture thanks. I bolded one paragraph above. Specific to that, it got lost in the Trump circus that he canceled all scheduled raises for federal employees right after the first tax cut passed, claiming we can't afford it. Did he cancel the inflation those raises were partially intended to offset? Or the rising cost of health care? Or any parity to the private sector?

The raises weren't enough to balance inflation, let alone the other two, but they would have helped. Deepening the divide for 2-3 million federal servants doesn't help. Passing ANOTHER top-heavy tax cut after saying we can't afford you people is insult to injury.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
October 19th, 2018 at 8:12:02 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

It is happening
The mid terms are here.
My buddy in North Carolina voted today
I can vote on Oct 22
I got 100 on the Dems taking the house with WellWellWell

I mailed in my absentee ballot several days ago. I more or less voted Democrat, but I live in Oklahoma so I might as well have just tossed my ballot in the dumpster.... haha!

According to FiveThirtyEight, the GOP has an 80% chance as of today of keeping the Senate, but only a 16% chance of keeping the House.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
October 19th, 2018 at 8:21:29 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

One side does it one way (the tax cuts), the other offers us Medicare/Medicaid for all at a cost of Trillions...which is just as unfunded (and would cost much, much more) as the tax cut.

One side offers an opportunity for long needed policy to ensure heath care, and the other side offers personal bread and circuses with no requirement for responsible long term planning,
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RonC
RonC
October 19th, 2018 at 8:27:42 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

One side offers an opportunity for long needed policy to ensure heath care, and the other side offers personal bread and circuses with no requirement for long term planning,

Please...there is no "long term plan" except to spend a whole lot of money. That applies to "Medicaid for All" (or whatever the name of the day is) and the tax cut. The bill for "Medicaid for All" will be much, much higher than any costs of the tax cut.

If there really was a plan that addressed both the problem needing attention AND how to pay for it, the Democrats could be using it this election cycle for momentum. They don't address the cost part of it, so a lot of people just consider it more politics than substance.

I still think the Dems will win the House...but that their actions once they win might propel President Trump to second term and them losing the House back in 2020....

No one seems to remember the projections when the ACA was passed that the impact on the deficit would increase as we moved forward and that the impact would be relatively low while President Obama was still in office...
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 19th, 2018 at 8:55:11 AM permalink

One side offers an opportunity for long needed policy to ensure heath care, and the other side offers personal bread and circuses with no requirement for responsible long term planning,

Expanding on this point...

Stipulating that everyone needs a plan for health care (and I know several young and healthy guys in here don't stipulate that, but ignoring their lucky and CURRENTLY unburdened lives)...so currently.

We pay x amount per person in taxes to subsidize the ACA, Medicaid, Head Start, CDC, other govt programs that directly affect physical and mental health.

We pay y amount in Medicare deductions as employees, with employers matching that. So 2y is funded by people, the great majority of whom, are not CURRENTLY using the money for Healthcare because they're too young. By now and for many years, those on Medicare did the same thing, so it's not like they are getting a free ride - they're using a savings account they helped build.

We pay z amount for healthcare coverage on the market, whether at individual, family, or group rates. This needs to include all paricipant contributions AND all employer contributions.

Then there's q, which is things you pay for when your insurance doesn't like deductibles, copays, lab tests, medical equipment, prescriptions. I'm seeing this a LOT, persknally, this year, and it's a very unappreciated factor. Medicare covers tons of things private healthcare doesn't.

I'm not aware of any Obamacare plan that comes for free - I think even the poorest pay some additional money in, but it's scaled to a formula with many factors. For purpose of this dicussion, only the overage they pay is relevant, because the rest is covered under x. But as someone noted above, ACA recipients are around 20% of Americans.

Call a the amount of money it would take to provide medicare for all.

The definitions for variables got more complicated than I meant it to, but the formula is simple.

If (x+2y+z+q)/USpop > (a+2y)/US POP

Then we should be doing medicare for all.

Pay the higher tax rate necessary to implement it, and in exchange dump the healthcare xzq. Let the government negotiate care rates and prices with the biggest group discount possible : all of us.

You want capitalism? This is where the rubber meets the road. The govt can and does do it cheaper and more efficiently now than the private system, and covers EVERYONE over 65 regardless of demographics, location, or ability to pay. AND IT'S NOT CLOSE ON THE PRICE PER PERSON.

The rest is politics. The "private industry" can bite me. There's no real competition. It's all soaking the population for everything the traffic will bear.

The point being, the NET cost of Medicare for all, paid through taxes, is considerably less than what we're now paying for healthcare, on a per person basis.
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Oct 19, 2018
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
Thanked by
rsactuary
October 19th, 2018 at 9:03:16 AM permalink

If there really was a plan that addressed both the problem needing attention AND how to pay for it, the Democrats could be using it this election cycle for momentum. They don't address the cost part of it, so a lot of people just consider it more politics than substance.

I will address the cost
I have an excellent health insurance plan through my company I work for
but
I have compassion for those that are poorer then me and don't have the health insurance I have
I am willing to pay more taxes to insure that everybody gets proper health care
Overall, it will save money because the emergency room will now be for true emergencies instead of providing DR services for the poor
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
October 19th, 2018 at 9:09:54 AM permalink

I will address the cost
but
I have compassion for those that are poorer then me and don't have the health insurance I have
Overall, it will save money because the emergency room will now be for true emergencies instead of providing DR services for the poor

And if people can maintain a healthier life because they have access to care at an onset of a problem, we might have a healthier population overall.. and that's good for everyone.
RonC
RonC
October 19th, 2018 at 9:16:49 AM permalink

I will address the cost
but

You and BBB actually present a case addressing issues, though I am not sure how the equation BBB mentions would come out...but the Democrats don't. I am glad you are willing to pay more in taxes...but do you see where there could be a breaking point in the equation? Are you okay with potentially getting less coverage than you have now?

I don't know the answers and the party supporting the plan does not address them. How in the world do you get people to be in favor of something that may cost them a lot more hard-earned money if you aren't willing to do the homework and show them what the real impacts will be?
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
October 19th, 2018 at 9:27:31 AM permalink
Somebody said complaints but no solutions. It's Friday, and I truly do appreciate the laugh.

Eliminating the myth of trickle down is the solution. It's not hard.

Kamala Harris has a plan:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/lefts-trump-sized-tax-plans/573328/?fbclid=IwAR2Wq40W0DKOXfi1dnKQh0Rkeme0euKpqMLOmgOm27lj-mPKipWqe10Tle8
Steverinos
Steverinos
October 19th, 2018 at 9:33:31 AM permalink
Adjusted for inflation, hourly wages aren't much higher now than they were forty years ago. Trump, while cutting taxes for the wealthy, promised everyone a $4,000 wage boost. It never happened.

Which, by the way, is the reason repbulicans are NOT campaigning on the tax cuts they passed. Instead, it's mobs! Mobs are coming to replace you! Fear! You should be scared!

The fact that the middle class has roughly the same purchasing power as they did 40 years ago should piss us all off. The problem is, about half of Americans don't even know it. Or they know it, but continue to vote against their own interests...because...well...umm...they are dumb.
Steverinos
Steverinos
October 19th, 2018 at 9:48:49 AM permalink

That's some next level spin right there. Kudos.

Federal revenues rose .4 percent from FY2017 to FY2018. This is true. But that's not the question to ask.

The question that needs to be answered is that: Have the corporate and individual tax cuts that went into effect in January generated so much additonal growth that tax revenues are as high, or higher, today than they would have been if the tax cuts never passed?

A few months before the cuts passed, the CBO predicted the government would take in $3.53 trillion in revenues. On Monday, the Treasury reported that revenue was $3.33 trillion for the year, $200 billion short, even though economic growth had OUTPACED the CBO's forecasts. Think about it.

Revenues grew 0.4% from 2017 to 2018. That's weak ass growth, historically speaking, FOR AN ECONOMY THAT IS GROWING AS FAST AS OURS IS. In FY2015, when growth was comparable to what it is today, revenues grew 7.5% from the previous year.

That 0.4% brought revenue as a share of GDP down, something that typically would happen around a recession, not deep into a robust expansion.

I could seriously go on and on but we don't have to. Here's the summary:

Trickle-down economics is a farce. PERIOD.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 19th, 2018 at 9:49:41 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

Adjusted for inflation, hourly wages aren't much higher now than they were forty years ago. Trump, while cutting taxes for the wealthy, promised everyone a $4,000 wage boost. It never happened.

Which, by the way, is the reason repbulicans are NOT campaigning on the tax cuts they passed. Instead, it's mobs! Mobs are coming to replace you! Fear! You should be scared!

The fact that the middle class has roughly the same purchasing power as they did 40 years ago should piss us all off. The problem is, about half of Americans don't even know it. Or they know it, but continue to vote against their own interests...because...well...umm...they are dumb.

That's amazing, especially when you consider the dramatic increase in double income households.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Tanko
Tanko
October 19th, 2018 at 11:17:46 AM permalink

.....It is also highly irresponsible to make huge revenue cuts without spending cuts,....

Better read that graph and accompanying figures again. Tax revenues are up for combined personal and corporate. Even with the drop in corporate tax revenue, total revenue is up slightly.

This disproves your comment that “...the bulk of the tax revenues have not been offset with greater revenues.”

Military spending was increased $61 billion with overwhelming support from the dems. Perhaps they know something we don’t. Perhaps it is because the Chinese and Russians have hypersonic missiles we have no defense against. Or perhaps it because the Chinese are building islands and setting up outposts in Africa, and the Russians are showing off their new and improved nuclear arsenal and issuing warnings.

As far as the tax cuts not paying for themselves, the economy has added millions of new jobs, manufacturing growth, construction growth, factory openings, and GDP growth, with zero sacrifice in tax revenue.

How can anyone say the tax cuts are not paying for themselves, with all those gains and zero tax revenue lost?

I agree with the need for spending cuts. Where do you or anybody suggest they make them? Do you think the dems would agree with you?

The dems refuse to accept any of Trump’s proposed budget cuts, but they haven’t proposed any cuts of their own.

I already indicated, we would still have an annual $400 billion deficit if we reduced military spending to zero.
Tanko
Tanko
October 19th, 2018 at 11:40:45 AM permalink

Adjusted for inflation, hourly wages aren't much higher now than they were forty years ago.

The fact that the middle class has roughly the same purchasing power as they did 40 years ago should piss us all off.

Wage growth of 2.9% is 1% after inflation. It usually breaks even after inflation.

What you fail to see is the creation of nearly 4 million jobs, and a jobless rate of 3.7%.

If you were one of the unemployed, or underemployed, living on food stamps and unemployment checks, or working two jobs, and now have a stable full time, good paying job with benefits, how much has your real wage increased now?

More people are working than ever before, and more people are able to improve or maintain their standard of living and plan a future for themselves and their families. That’s what counts.
Steverinos
Steverinos
October 19th, 2018 at 11:51:11 AM permalink

What you fail to see is the creation of nearly 4 million jobs, and a jobless rate of 3.7%.

4 million jobs were created since the tax cuts took effect?
Steverinos
Steverinos
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
October 19th, 2018 at 12:04:50 PM permalink
What you fail to see is that revenues were up .4% last year. That represents one of the lowest growth rates in half a century. Taking inflation into account, revenues were actually down 4 to 9 percent this year because of the cuts.

Trump blamed the increase in the deficit to disaster relief (lol). Let's break it down:

According to the CBO, disaster relief funding increased the deficit by $40 billion in 2018, less than 5% of the deficit. The budget deal makes up $68 billioni, about 8%. Defense spending alone increased it by $23 billion, less than 3% of the total deficit.

The tax cuts increased it by $164 billion this year and is projected to add another $230 billion next year. Kinda makes the disaster relief funding look like a drop in the bucket, doesn't it?

If this was a wild success for workers and the middle class, republicans would be out there campaigning on it. Instead, their message is that immigrants are going to replace you and that mobs rule. Telling, isn't it?
rxwine
rxwine
October 19th, 2018 at 12:08:06 PM permalink

More people are working than ever before, and more people are able to improve or maintain their standard of living and plan a future for themselves and their families. That’s what counts.

I think it's called throwing a bone to low wage earners so they don't notice the disparity in wage increases over the 40 years.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
terapined
terapined
October 19th, 2018 at 12:37:03 PM permalink
I went outside today to check the mail
I see a letter from Donald Trump
WTF
Top left corner, no address. Just Donald Trump printed and also signed
I open it up
A money beg
GRRRRRRRRRRRR

anybody else get this today

I am a registered republican because I don't trust republicans. I figure being registered as a republican, they wont mess with my voting status. I see Georgia purged 100k voters :-(
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 19th, 2018 at 12:59:45 PM permalink

WTF
I open it up
A money beg
GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Why does a billionaire need to beg for money from an average citizen?
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
October 19th, 2018 at 1:12:00 PM permalink

Better read that graph and accompanying figures again. Tax revenues are up for combined personal and corporate. Even with the drop in corporate tax revenue, total revenue is up slightly.

This disproves your comment that “...the bulk of the tax revenues have not been offset with greater revenues.”

Military spending was increased $61 billion with overwhelming support from the dems. Perhaps they know something we don’t. Perhaps it is because the Chinese and Russians have hypersonic missiles we have no defense against. Or perhaps it because the Chinese are building islands and setting up outposts in Africa, and the Russians are showing off their new and improved nuclear arsenal and issuing warnings.

As far as the tax cuts not paying for themselves, the economy has added millions of new jobs, manufacturing growth, construction growth, factory openings, and GDP growth, with zero sacrifice in tax revenue.

How can anyone say the tax cuts are not paying for themselves, with all those gains and zero tax revenue lost?

I agree with the need for spending cuts. Where do you or anybody suggest they make them? Do you think the dems would agree with you?

The dems refuse to accept any of Trump’s proposed budget cuts, but they haven’t proposed any cuts of their own.

I already indicated, we would still have an annual $400 billion deficit if we reduced military spending to zero.

Graph, page 3, figure 2
Cumulative fiscal year income, outlays, and deficits.
Cumulative income has not caught up to or surpassed cumulative expenses.

As it is, I do not agree with the republican tax policy, nor do I agree with the Democrat tax policy.

I also think longer term. Where to make the cuts? Well, the top two items should have the biggest cuts.
The only way to cut debt service is to pay down the debt, and you aren't doing that if you are increasing the debt. The best time to pay down the debt is during times of economic prosperity, such as now.

Where to increase revenues? All personal income taxed at the same progressive rate. That means dividend income, capital gains, and all of those other personal taxes that are currently less than the income tax, will be the same. In a revenue neutral way, that would drop all of the tax rates.

Example -
$1 x %1 = T1
$2 X %2 = T2

$1 and $2 are taxible incomes, within a single tax bracket
%1 and %2 are tax rates
T1 and T2 are tax revenues

Combine and rearrange those, and the new tax rate, %3 is
(T1 + T2) / ($1 + $2) = %3

That would result in someone like Warren buffet paying a higher percentage income tax than his secretary
It would also result in a tax cut for people who make most of their income from a salary, presumably like Dr SooPoo

I would like to see that kind of a tax reform, and also restrictions on when the government can run a deficit.

It may already be too late, with the inescapable result of default by our government.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 19th, 2018 at 1:57:02 PM permalink

Nope. 1.875 million jobs created in 2018 through Sept 30. Tax cut bill took effect Jan 1. 2018. More false or skewed facts.

Source: BLS.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 19th, 2018 at 2:19:33 PM permalink
I saw the Federal Courts in Virginia indicted a Russian for interfering in the election. The strange thing is several of the things he is accused of posting I think I saw reposted on here.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 19th, 2018 at 3:08:37 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I saw the Federal Courts in Virginia indicted a Russian for interfering in the election. The strange thing is several of the things he is accused of posting I think I saw reposted on here.

Pfff. Whatever. Nothingburger. #LockHerUp
Tanko
Tanko
October 19th, 2018 at 4:00:35 PM permalink

No.

You said “Adjusted for inflation, hourly wages aren't much higher now than they were forty years ago.”

My response referred to the nearly 4 million new jobs created since Trump took office, and the unemployment rate falling to 3.7%.

Nearly 2 million new jobs have been created in the 9.5 months since the tax cuts went into effect.

Either way.

If you were one of the unemployed, or underemployed, living on food stamps and unemployment checks, or working two jobs, and now have a stable full time, good paying job, with benefits, maintaining a good standard of living, and now able to save, and plan a future for yourself and your family, how much has your real wage increased now?
terapined
terapined
October 19th, 2018 at 4:30:12 PM permalink

WTF
I open it up
A money beg
GRRRRRRRRRRRR

anybody else get this today

(

Quote: TigerWu

Why does a billionaire need to beg for money from an average citizen?

WTF
What is it with conservative republicans and the constant money beg
I am checking email
Chuck Norris sends me an email
Well, I gotta open it. Can this be the real Chuck Norris
You all know the guy. Chuck Norris does not sleep, he waits. Chuck Norris does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover. When Chuck Norris is doing a pushup, he is not pushing himself up, he is pushing the Earth down.
anyway
Here is a copy paste of the Chuck Norris money beg email
Is this really Chuck Norris? He's superman. Why is he begging for money?
Anybody else getting this junk?
*************************************************************************************************************************

Fellow Conservative,

Throughout my acting career in movies and TV shows like Walker, Texas Ranger, my role was to rescue good people who found themselves under attack from the bad guys.

No matter what you’ve seen on TV, I can’t save Greg from the bad guys all by myself. No one person can.

Left-wing BILLIONAIRE George Soros and liberal Washington, D.C. special interests believe that taking Texas is the key to seizing control of the entire country. If Soros and his liberal pals can take Texas and its 38 electoral votes, they’ll have a lock on the White House for at least a generation!

Fellow Conservative, if you believe in the survival of freedom in the Lone Star State and America, these are not threats any conservative in any state in the country can afford to ignore.

Will you make a contribution of $100, $50, or even $25 right now to support Governor Abbott as he fights to keep Texas red?

After Republicans had their weakest showing in Texas in 20 years in 2016, national Democrats and left-wing special interests are coming after Greg with everything they have.

Sensing that the political winds may be blowing their way in 2018, ex-President Obama and former Attorney General Eric Holder will likely make Texas a top target in their efforts to win state-level elections.

Meanwhile, their pals in the press are already bragging that it’s a done deal. In fact, Washington, D.C.’s The Hill bragged that “Texas Democrats Smell Blood in the Water for 2018.” Another news outlet asked, “Could Democrats Really Turn Texas Blue in 2018?”

That’s why I’m writing you to ask for your IMMEDIATE help.

Will you pitch in right now and join the fight to defend Texas in 2018?

Greg is one of the only conservatives in the country with the guts to take on sanctuary cities—signing legislation into law to force lawless local government officials in Texas to enforce immigration law or face stiff penalties.

After the law’s passage, Fox News stated that his bill “could inspire other states to take a similar approach” – which is exactly why liberals are trying to derail it in court even as I write you.

The case will likely ultimately be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court, and I can promise you that Greg is prepared to fight and win—just as he has so many times before.

If there’s one thing you need to know about Greg, it’s this: He’ll never let us down. I know this firsthand.

I’m counting on you to pitch in right now to support Governor Abbott as he fights for the future of Texas!

Sincerely,

Chuck Norris

P.S. Fellow Conservative, with special interests and national Democrats targeting Texas as the key to seizing PERMANENT political control of our entire country. This fight is only the beginning.

We have to save Governor Abbott from the bad guys—but I can’t do this one all by myself…

Can you make the most generous contribution you can right now?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 19th, 2018 at 4:36:29 PM permalink

No.

You said “Adjusted for inflation, hourly wages aren't much higher now than they were forty years ago.”

My response referred to the nearly 4 million new jobs created since Trump took office, and the unemployment rate falling to 3.7%.

Nearly 2 million new jobs have been created in the 9.5 months since the tax cuts went into effect.

Either way.

If you were one of the unemployed, or underemployed, living on food stamps and unemployment checks, or working two jobs, and now have a stable full time, good paying job, with benefits, maintaining a good standard of living, and now able to save, and plan a future for yourself and your family, how much has your real wage increased now?

You've said that twice, now. How many of those people do you think there are, changing from either under or unemployment to a good enough wage to save? I would guess it's a very small percentage to date, with maybe better opportunities in the coming markets. They aren't adding skilled jobs that make more than minimum wage, except in areas a lot of people don't have the training or experience.

They're adding a large percentage of service jobs, which tend to pay lower. But there's not one state in the union right now that will allow a person making the minimum wage to afford a 2 bedroom apartment without a 2nd income stream.

And the rising cost of food, with cheap farm labor constrained and fuel costing more, is going up faster than average wages by far, as are housing costs and interest rates.

Ain't nobody in the workforce able to kick back and relax on a regular 40 hour paycheck, not yet, and maybe not ever under this path.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 19th, 2018 at 4:50:01 PM permalink

WTF
What is it with conservative republicans and the constant money beg
I am checking email
Chuck Norris sends me an email
Well, I gotta open it. Can this be the real Chuck Norris
You all know the guy. Chuck Norris does not sleep, he waits. Chuck Norris does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover. When Chuck Norris is doing a pushup, he is not pushing himself up, he is pushing the Earth down.
anyway
*************************************************************************************************************************

Fellow Conservative,

Throughout my acting career in movies and TV shows like Walker, Texas Ranger, my role was to rescue good people who found themselves under attack from the bad guys.

No matter what you’ve seen on TV, I can’t save Greg from the bad guys all by myself. No one person can.

Left-wing BILLIONAIRE George Soros and liberal Washington, D.C. special interests believe that taking Texas is the key to seizing control of the entire country. If Soros and his liberal pals can take Texas and its 38 electoral votes, they’ll have a lock on the White House for at least a generation!

Fellow Conservative, if you believe in the survival of freedom in the Lone Star State and America, these are not threats any conservative in any state in the country can afford to ignore.

Will you make a contribution of $100, $50, or even $25 right now to support Governor Abbott as he fights to keep Texas red?

After Republicans had their weakest showing in Texas in 20 years in 2016, national Democrats and left-wing special interests are coming after Greg with everything they have.

Sensing that the political winds may be blowing their way in 2018, ex-President Obama and former Attorney General Eric Holder will likely make Texas a top target in their efforts to win state-level elections.

Meanwhile, their pals in the press are already bragging that it’s a done deal. In fact, Washington, D.C.’s The Hill bragged that “Texas Democrats Smell Blood in the Water for 2018.” Another news outlet asked, “Could Democrats Really Turn Texas Blue in 2018?”

That’s why I’m writing you to ask for your IMMEDIATE help.

Will you pitch in right now and join the fight to defend Texas in 2018?

Greg is one of the only conservatives in the country with the guts to take on sanctuary cities—signing legislation into law to force lawless local government officials in Texas to enforce immigration law or face stiff penalties.

After the law’s passage, Fox News stated that his bill “could inspire other states to take a similar approach” – which is exactly why liberals are trying to derail it in court even as I write you.

The case will likely ultimately be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court, and I can promise you that Greg is prepared to fight and win—just as he has so many times before.

If there’s one thing you need to know about Greg, it’s this: He’ll never let us down. I know this firsthand.

I’m counting on you to pitch in right now to support Governor Abbott as he fights for the future of Texas!

Sincerely,

Chuck Norris

P.S. Fellow Conservative, with special interests and national Democrats targeting Texas as the key to seizing PERMANENT political control of our entire country. This fight is only the beginning.

We have to save Governor Abbott from the bad guys—but I can’t do this one all by myself…

Can you make the most generous contribution you can right now?

Chuck Norris doesn't even live in Texas anymore. He had a ranch in the state for a few years while he was filming Walker, but he sold it - listed in 2013, sold in 2016.

His production company is based in California. I would think he's living out there. But who knows. I just think it's weird for him to push his agenda when he doesn't live there.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
October 19th, 2018 at 5:03:33 PM permalink

Nope. 1.875 million jobs created in 2018 through Sept 30. Tax cut bill took effect Jan 1. 2018. More false or skewed facts.

Source: BLS.

Two million jobs in 10 months ain't exactly chopped liver. And Tanko explained clearly and succinctly the four million figure and how it was misinterpreted.
rxwine
rxwine
October 19th, 2018 at 5:04:15 PM permalink

As, bbb pointed out, you sure paint a rosy picture. From unemployed and on food stamps, to enough to support your family, have benefits and even save,

How about this, Republican based judges and legislators help bust union wages and benefits by a 1/3. Original worker dies while underserved by reduced pension. New workers get full employment barely getting by on wages where buying power has stagnated for 40 years. And for some reason, the head of household wears a MAGA hat, votes for TRUMP and complains about illegal immigrants trying to take his job which isn't even picking fruit,
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 19th, 2018 at 5:08:32 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Two million jobs in 10 months ain't exactly chopped liver. And Tanko explained clearly and succinctly the four million figure and how it was misinterpreted.

Um, yeah, 2 hours after I posted. Keep your chopped liver to yourself.
Steverinos
Steverinos
October 19th, 2018 at 5:16:12 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

It most definitely was not misinterpreted. We were specifically discussing the effect of the tax cuts and he implied (spinned it) that 4 million jobs were a created as a result of the tax cuts.

Just for reference, 2.1 million jobs were created in 2016. 2.2 million in 2015. This was before Trump was president. Ya know, back when the economy was a disaster. Back when the deficit was smaller than it is today. Back when Republicans and their supporters pretended to care about it.

Have a good weekend.
Steverinos
Steverinos
October 19th, 2018 at 5:19:05 PM permalink

As, bbb pointed out, you sure paint a rosy picture. From unemployed and on food stamps, to enough to support your family, have benefits and even save,

They would be campaigning on this if it was that rosy. The deficit report came out this week and it could not be more clearer...the Trump tax cuts have added to the deficit and have NOT paid for themselves, as was promised. Period.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
ams288
October 19th, 2018 at 5:51:02 PM permalink

Chuck Norris doesn't even live in Texas anymore...I just think it's weird for him to push his agenda when he doesn't live there.

Chuck Norris doesn't push agendas, he roundhouse kicks them.

(Quote clipped as the entire quote was not necessary for the joke)
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Tanko
Tanko
Thanked by
Forager
October 20th, 2018 at 1:02:13 AM permalink

Um, yeah, 2 hours after I posted. Keep your chopped liver to yourself.

Unlike some others, I have better things to do with my life, than spend my entire day slumped over a keyboard.
Last edited by: Tanko on Oct 20, 2018
Tanko
Tanko
October 20th, 2018 at 1:17:55 AM permalink

You've said that twice, now. How many of those people do you think there are, changing from either under or unemployment to a good enough wage to save? I would guess it's a very small percentage to date, ...

Not.

The unemployment rate at the end of 2016 was 4.7%.

Today it is 3.7%

There are 5 million more full time workers today than there were in 2016.

Some transitioned from PT to FT, others are new entries.

Perhaps that is why Americans are Saving More

Quote:

They aren't adding skilled jobs that make more than minimum wage, except in areas a lot of people don't have the training or experience.

Lots of new jobs across the sectors. Some for experienced and skilled workers. Others for the inexperienced.

BLS
Last edited by: Tanko on Oct 20, 2018
RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2018 at 4:50:36 AM permalink

Chuck Norris doesn't even live in Texas anymore. He had a ranch in the state for a few years while he was filming Walker, but he sold it - listed in 2013, sold in 2016.

His production company is based in California. I would think he's living out there. But who knows. I just think it's weird for him to push his agenda when he doesn't live there.

Really? I get emails asking for money all the time from one party; I am sure the other does the same. They may not automatically send them to every party member, but give them a few dollars and I bet you will find your way on some mailing lists.

Why are people from every state pushing Beto?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16/politics/beto-orourke-contributions-where-was-money-from/index.html

I have no idea why you would think it is weird since they all want money from anywhere they can get it. Using a celebrity to help do that does not seem weird to me at all.
terapined
terapined
October 20th, 2018 at 8:09:47 AM permalink

Really? I get emails asking for money all the time from one party; I am sure the other does the same. They may not automatically send them to every party member, but give them a few dollars and I bet you will find your way on some mailing lists.

I have no idea why you would think it is weird since they all want money from anywhere they can get it. Using a celebrity to help do that does not seem weird to me at all.

But why me?
Did you get the same snail mail money beg from Donald Trump that I got?
Did you get the same email money beg from Chucky Norris that I got
I have never donated money to the republican party. NEVER.
The last republican I voted for was Robert Dole. (no way would I vote for Bill Clinton, disgusting , right up there with Trump)
Since Dole, I have voted for independents or Dems
Yet Trump and Chucky Norris are sending me money begs
weird
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 20th, 2018 at 8:09:52 AM permalink

Chuck Norris may have been a good fighter back in the day, but he's always been a crappy actor, and he's been a bats*** loony extremist for years now.

But to answer your question, I've been either a registered Democrat or Independent my entire adult life, and I can't remember the last time I've gotten a money beg from anyone. The only political mail I get is just generic post card type things from local politicians.
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
darkoz
October 20th, 2018 at 8:24:06 AM permalink

But to answer your question, I've been either a registered Democrat or Independent my entire adult life, and I can't remember the last time I've gotten a money beg from anyone. The only political mail I get is just generic post card type things from local politicians.

Checking my email
Another money beg
WTF
I am just a regular working joe, not rich. I occasionally donate to a charity such as hurricane relief but never political causes
yet republicans are begging me, terapined, for money
This one is from Steve Scalise
Its an incredibly desperate money beg
Anybody else get the below junk this morning?
Looking at this email, is Steve Scalise committing fraud
If I say donate a 100, Steve will match it 5x with his own personal money and donate 500.00.
This has got to be BS. Somebody in Nigeria imitating Steve Scalise?
************************************************************************************************************************
Fellow Conservative,
I’m sounding the alarm. The latest fundraising numbers are worse than anyone predicted. The Liberals outraised us by 233% — and Nancy Pelosi just announced the biggest ad blitz in Democrat history.
If we don’t stop them, the Liberals will overwhelm our allies with negative attacks, take our Majority and destroy Trump’s legacy.
I’m not going to allow that to happen. Not on my watch. That’s why I’m activating a 5x-contribution match for ALL grassroots Conservatives until our midnight deadline.
We are critically under-funded in battleground seats and need your help to save Trump's Majority:
Contribute $500 (5x-Matched)
Contribute $250 (5x-Matched)
Contribute $100 (5x-Matched)

Contribute $50 (5x-Matched)
Contribute $25 (5x-Matched)
REMINDER: The deadline to get 5x-matched is 11:59PM!
Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich, Paul Ryan and Mimi Walters have all asked you because this is an emergency. Now I’m following up one more time…
Will you make a 5x-matched contribution before our midnight deadline?
This is the final stretch. We're close to victory. Don't give up.
Thank you,
Steve Scalise
House Majority Whip
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Mission146
October 20th, 2018 at 8:26:42 AM permalink

Chuck Norris may have been a good fighter back in the day, but he's always been a crappy actor,

Chuck Norris has never acted. That's just film of his real life, fighting legions of gangs, trained assassins, and nearly unbeatable monsters.

(just thought I'd throw that one in there)
RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2018 at 8:36:54 AM permalink

But why me?
Did you get the same snail mail money beg from Donald Trump that I got?
Did you get the same email money beg from Chucky Norris that I got
I have never donated money to the republican party. NEVER.
The last republican I voted for was Robert Dole. (no way would I vote for Bill Clinton, disgusting , right up there with Trump)
Since Dole, I have voted for independents or Dems
Yet Trump and Chucky Norris are sending me money begs
weird

I don't know how you made the list. I know that I made it after I donated a small amount to a Republican candidate. Since then, I get some emails weekly with increasing intensity as the election comes around. Many, many names are attached to them. I probably had 2-3 this morning alone.

I did get the Trump letter. My dear departed mother-in-law has gotten some Democrat party fund requests (her mail was forwarded here when she went in the nursing home; we still get stuff form the ACLU among other left-leaning organizations)...our votes used to cancel each other out/ Used to? Who knows...maybe she is still voting!!

Newt just wrote me a letter. I gotta see what he has to say...
RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2018 at 8:44:17 AM permalink
In order to conduct a purely unscientific study of the begging habits of both parties, I made a similar contribution to the Democrat National Committee this morning. I don't actually remember who the donation to the Republican side was sent to, so we are already not comparing apples to apples...but I wanted to see what happened anyway:

"Thank you so much for your donation to the Democratic Party. Each donation we receive -- however large or small -- gives Democrats the resources needed to organize and win.

Since you're one of our best supporters, we'd like to give you 10% off when you visit the Official Democratic Store. Just enter the code DNC-DONOR at checkout:

https://my.democrats.org/DNC-Store

With your help, we will hold the GOP accountable, defend our values, and elect Democrats in all 50 states this year.

Thanks again for making a contribution today.

- The Democrats

------------
If have any questions about your donation, you can call us here: 877-336-7200.

Paid for by the Democratic National Committee, 430 South Capitol Street SE, Washington DC 20003 and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not tax deductible."

Naturally, I have countered this action with a donation that has a multiplier to the other side...
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 20th, 2018 at 8:50:05 AM permalink

Checking my email
Another money beg
WTF
I am just a regular working joe, not rich. I occasionally donate to a charity such as hurricane relief but never political causes
yet republicans are begging me, terapined, for money
This one is from Steve Scalise
Its an incredibly desperate money beg

Oh, my god, that is so cringey... LOL... Pathetic.

Desperate, unprofessional, fearmongering crap. I would be embarrassed to sign my name to an email like that.

Chuck Norris has never acted. That's just film of his real life, fighting legions of gangs, trained assassins, and nearly unbeatable monsters.

He's probably a worse actor than Steven Seagal as far as washed-up martial artists go.

Maybe. It's hard to tell, because they're both awful.
rxwine
rxwine
October 20th, 2018 at 9:16:39 AM permalink

He's probably a worse actor than Steven Seagal as far as washed-up martial artists go.

Maybe. It's hard to tell, because they're both awful.

Not really sure who is the best true martial arts actor. debate for another thread
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
October 20th, 2018 at 9:26:20 AM permalink

Not really sure who is the best true martial arts actor. debate for another thread

Debate for another thread

But most would say Bruce Lee legendwise

Jackie Chan aged wise

Tony Jaa younger wise
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 20th, 2018 at 9:55:35 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Debate for another thread

But most would say Bruce Lee legendwise

Jackie Chan aged wise

Tony Jaa younger wise

I've continued this discussion in the Miscellaneous thread.
  • Jump to: