Thread Rating:

rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
July 27th, 2018 at 9:34:57 PM permalink
I'm not defending the scum bag at all, I'm merely saying that CNN, MSNBC, Fox News and the other fringe right "news" media all do this.. they choose an unflattering picture to suit their story.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 28th, 2018 at 12:49:31 AM permalink
Quote: Fleaswatter

Obama was too busy keeping the Russians out of the Crimea and Ukraine to go golfing.

Actually he was working on the economy to achieve a 4.1% GDP growth. Oh wait, that was Trump.

If Obama had had a 4.1% GDP growth, it would.have been (drum roll) his 5th best quarter.

Best ever....Trump hyperbole bites the dust.

You did note.that some.significant part of that was farmers panic selling ahead of tarriff imposition, right?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
July 28th, 2018 at 4:05:15 AM permalink

Actually he was working on the economy to achieve a 4.1% GDP growth. Oh wait, that was Trump.

Wow. You just proved my point better than I ever could.

Might want to check Obama’s GDP numbers. You might be surprised. lol
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
July 28th, 2018 at 5:37:39 AM permalink

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/05/jim-jordan-accusers/

These accusers look real credible.

????????????????????
More then 2 accusers

http://americablog.com/2018/07/jim-jordan-sexual-abuse-scandal-timeline-a-record-of-the-witnesses-to-date.html

Shawn Dailey, a Republican who is a former Jordan campaign donor, says he was groped half a dozen times by Dr Strauss. And while he didn’t tell Jordan directly about the abuse, he was present when Dunyasha Yetts’ told Jordan about Yetts’ own abuse at the doctor’s hands. Per NBC:
Dailey corroborated the account of one of those wrestlers, Dunyasha Yetts, who told NBC News that Yetts had protested to Jordan and head coach Russ Hellickson after Strauss tried to pull down his wrestling shorts when Yetts went to see him for a thumb injury.
“Dunyasha comes back and tells Jimmy, ‘Seriously, why do I have to pull down my pants for a thumb injury?’” Dailey recalled. “Jimmy said something to the extent of, ‘If he tried that with me, I would kill him.'”

Mark Coleman, another former wrestler and UFC world champion, that Jordan must have been aware of the abuse because the serial abuse was such common knowledge. Coleman also says he was Jordan’s “roommate” on several wrestling trips. From the WSJ:
“There’s no way unless he’s got dementia or something that he’s got no recollection of what was going on at Ohio State … I have nothing but respect for this man, I love this man, but he knew as far as I’m concerned.”

David Range, a former wrestler, says Jordan was present during group discussions in the locker room about the doctor’s behavior: “We talked about it all the time in the locker room” while Jordan was there, he said. “Everybody joked about it and talked about it all the time.”

Reid Delaman
Michael Alf
Two more former Ohio State wrestlers say GOP Rep. Jim Jordan must have heard his then- college wrestlers talking about the sexual abuse they were suffering at the hands of their team doctor, Richard Strauss. NBC reports that, ironically, the two thought they were defending Jordan with their comments.

http://americablog.com/2018/07/lead-jim-jordan-defender-contradicts-self-on-tape.html

Coach Hellickson says all the coaches did not know about the abuse defending Jim Jordan
yet

A former Ohio State University wrestling coach says he warned a team doctor — whose alleged actions are the subject of a school investigation into sexual abuse allegations — that the doctor was “too hands on” with student athletes, according to a video produced last month by a former student wrestler who says he was abused….
In the video, former head wrestling coach Russ Hellickson, who arrived at Ohio State in 1986, doesn’t specify whether athletes came to him with allegations of abuse, but says he talked to the doctor about physical contact with the wrestlers.
“I told him one time, I said, ‘Doctor you’re much too hands on,’ and he just said, ‘Oh, I’m being thorough,’ ” Hellickson said.
Hellickson also says in the video that the doctor would often shower at the same time as the wrestlers, making them uncomfortable.
….
In the video, Hellickson says he confronted Strauss about taking showers with the student athletes, and told the doctor he was making the wrestlers nervous. The physician reportedly pointed out to the coach that Hellickson also showered with the team.
“I said, ‘Yeah. Not for an hour, doc,’ ” the former coach says.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
July 28th, 2018 at 7:13:05 AM permalink
When you reward the same people who caused the great recession, by pumping $4.5 trillion artificial dollars into the nation’s money supply, through their institutions, as the previous administration did, you can expect GDP to grow artificially.

The current GDP growth is being attained as the FED is increasing its rate of balance sheet reduction, and simultaneously increasing interest rates. Just the opposite of QE.

95% of the jobs created from 2005 to 2015 were ‘alternative work’. Non-Traditional, part time plantation jobs.

We never did see the promised ‘shovel ready jobs’ that Obama later laughed about.

Today, for the first time ever, there are more jobs than there are people out of work.

"Something the American economy has never experienced before"

The traditional jobs are back. 300,000 job openings in transportation sector, 250,000 more in construction, and another 440,000 jobs available in manufacturing.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
July 28th, 2018 at 8:04:35 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

I wish we could poll Fox News viewers with this question:

Who golfed more during their first two years as President: Trump or Obama?

I think those results would be amusing.

Oh, they know Trump golfs way more than Obama, and they'll admit it. The thing is, though, they'll tell you that Trump is "working" during all of his golfing trips, while Obama was not. Don't ask me how they know all that, though.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
July 28th, 2018 at 8:23:22 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

When you reward the same people who caused the great recession, by pumping $4.5 trillion artificial dollars into the nation’s money supply, through their institutions, as the previous administration did, you can expect GDP to grow artificially.

The current GDP growth is being attained as the FED is increasing its rate of balance sheet reduction, and simultaneously increasing interest rates. Just the opposite of QE.

95% of the jobs created from 2005 to 2015 were ‘alternative work’. Non-Traditional, part time plantation jobs.

We never did see the promised ‘shovel ready jobs’ that Obama later laughed about.

Today, for the first time ever, there are more jobs than there are people out of work.

"Something the American economy has never experienced before"

The traditional jobs are back. 300,000 job openings in transportation sector, 250,000 more in construction, and another 440,000 jobs available in manufacturing.

The TARP bailout was made necessary during Bush years. And both parties bit the bullet and enacted the bailouts. Whether that was the best course of action at the time (and I think it was), both parties, all of Congress, and both the Bush and Obama administration need to own it.

The ironic part is that it's Trump who's trying to claim.credit for so much that was put in action before he got into office, and is doing everything possible to ruin it by deregulation of the same businesses who stole and crashed our economy.

Effing moron is way too kind.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
Thanked by
SOOPOOpetroglyph
July 28th, 2018 at 8:36:30 AM permalink
As much as I believe Trump to be an immoral, narcissistic, self-righteous, egotistical bully, I must say that the man gets sh÷% done. There will always be 50% of the people that will spin everything to their favor and vice versa. The fact of the matter is that the numbers don't lie and our economy is doing very well due to his policies with respect to deregulation and tax cuts. I've always said that when the economy is good and people have money in their pockets, approvals will go up.

If you don't like his tactics with China trade, and NAFTA, Etc, here is some news flash.. It's working! Don't be surprised if we align ourselves with Russia and find ourselves teaming up against China who is our biggest threat as they want to be the world's greatest nation and economy... and if Trump didn't step in they would have done it.

Regarding immigration... Would you like to droves of illegal people come into your house? Or would you like them to be legal and be welcomed into your house? I have more compassion than the next person, but this stuff has got to stop somewhere and he finally has the balls to do it. Yes we are a nation of immigrants and that is what has made us great, but they are legal immigrants that have come and built this country. Everyone complains about America, yet everyone wants to live here. For those of you who were born here and are legal citizens, we are the luckiest people on earth! Never forget that.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
July 28th, 2018 at 8:40:19 AM permalink
WTF is up with Fox news and penis pics
1st we had Eric Bolling sharing his penis pics
pretty bizarre
Now we have stories of Kimberly Guilfoyle going around the fox newsroom showing dick pics
WTF

In my over 30 years in an office environment I never once saw a dick pic. Not once.
I would imagine you can be fired for doing that unless you work for fox news. ROTFL

https://www.thedailybeast.com/war-between-kimberly-guilfoyle-and-fox-news-explodes-over-dueling-dck-pics-claims?ref=home
Last edited by: terapined on Jul 28, 2018
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
July 28th, 2018 at 9:10:45 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

WTF is up with Fox news and penis pics
1st we had Eric Bolling sharing his penis pics
pretty bizarre
Now we have stories of Kimberly Guilfoyle going around the fox newsroom showing dick pics
WTF

In my over 30 in an office environment I never once saw a dick pic. Not once.
I would imagine you can be fired for doing that unless you work for fox news. ROTFL

https://www.thedailybeast.com/war-between-kimberly-guilfoyle-and-fox-news-explodes-over-dueling-dck-pics-claims?ref=home

Was she showing her dick?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
July 28th, 2018 at 9:12:01 AM permalink
Hey, you can't knock the girl.. She loves Dick. And now she is dating one!
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
  • Threads: 10
July 28th, 2018 at 9:42:51 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

If Obama had had a 4.1% GDP growth, it would.have been (drum roll) his 5th best quarter.

Best ever....Trump hyperbole bites the dust.

You did note.that some.significant part of that was farmers panic selling ahead of tarriff imposition, right?

I don’t know where you get your statistics from but I got the following directly from the Bureau of Economic Analysis website. I reviewed each quarterly report from the period 2008 until 2017 and used their GDP figures. Here are the results:

2008:Q1 1.6%, Q2 2.8%, Q3 (-0.7%) Q4 (-6.3%), 2009 Q1 (-5.5%), Q2 (-0.7%) Q3 2.2%, Q4 5.6%, 2010: Q1 3.7%, Q2 1.7%, Q3 2.6%, Q4 3.1%, 2011: Q1 0.4%, Q2 1.3%, Q3 1.8%, Q4 3%, 2012: Q1 2.0%, Q2 1.2%, Q3 3.1%, Q4 0.4%, 2013: Q1 1.1%, Q2 2.5%, Q3 4.1%, Q4 2.6%, 2014: Q1 2.1%, Q2 4.6%, Q3 5.0%, Q4 2.2%, 2015: Q1 0.6%, Q2 3.9%, Q3 2.0%, Q4 1.4%,

As you can see from the actual numbers provided by the government, (DRUM ROLL) Obama ONLY had 3 quarters where the GDP growth exceeded 4.1%, (2009 Q4 and 2014 Q2 & Q3).

Here is another breakdown of Obama’s GDP: number of quarters negative 4 (four), between 0 and 0.9% 3 (three), between 1 and 1.9% 7 (seven), between 2 and 2.9% 9 (nine) between 3 and 3.9% 5 (five) between 4 and 4.9% 2 (two) and above 5% 2 (two).

I welcome any disagreement that you may have with the figures I provided but only if you reference actual numbers provided by the government. Here is a link to the Bureau of Economic Analysis documents.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/relsarchivegdp.htm

I do not desire to see any link to some NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, etc article.
Last edited by: Fleaswatter on Jul 28, 2018
new motto for the left: “I don't know if I received bad information, but I think I suspected there was more than there actually was,” (John Brennan Mar 25, 2019)
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 28th, 2018 at 9:44:34 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

The fact of the matter is that the numbers don't lie and our economy is doing very well due to his policies with respect to deregulation and tax cuts. I've always said that when the economy is good and people have money in their pockets, approvals will go up.

Trump inherited a booming economy, so he already had a huge advantage in that regard.

Quote:

Don't be surprised if we align ourselves with Russia and find ourselves teaming up against China who is our biggest threat as they want to be the world's greatest nation and economy...

Why would we align ourselves with a country we have almost nothing to do with and are on the verge of hostilities with to "take down" a country that is one of our biggest economic allies? What you're saying doesn't make sense....

Quote:

and if Trump didn't step in they would have done it.

Based on what evidence? And so what if China surpasses the U.S. economically? How does that hurt us?

Quote:

I have more compassion than the next person, but this stuff has got to stop somewhere and he finally has the balls to do it.

"Finally?" Obama deported more people than any other President, including Trump.
ams288
ams288
July 28th, 2018 at 10:28:11 AM permalink

I do not desire to see any link to some NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, etc article.

Yes, god forbid someone respond with an article that adheres to journalistic standards... Bring on the Breitbart, InforWars, zerohedge, etc. trash!

Also Babs said “quarters” with 4.1% GDP. I’m pretty sure she meant months.
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
July 28th, 2018 at 10:42:12 AM permalink

Yes, god forbid someone respond with an article that adheres to journalistic standards... Bring on the Breitbart, InforWars, zerohedge, etc. trash!

Also Babs said “quarters” with 4.1% GDP. I’m pretty sure she meant months.

Whether or not those news sources adhere to "journalistic standards", many do make mistakes and slant information.

I am just asking for any disagreement with my figures to be proven by providing information from the actual source on the information. I don't understand why you would have any problem with that.
new motto for the left: “I don't know if I received bad information, but I think I suspected there was more than there actually was,” (John Brennan Mar 25, 2019)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
July 28th, 2018 at 10:48:00 AM permalink

I don’t know where you get your statistics from but I got the following directly from the Bureau of Economic Analysis website. I reviewed each quarterly report from the period 2008 until 2017 and used their GDP figures. Here are the results:

2008:Q1 1.6%, Q2 2.8%, Q3 (-0.7%) Q4 (-6.3%), 2009 Q1 (-5.5%), Q2 (-0.7%) Q3 2.2%, Q4 5.6%, 2010: Q1 3.7%, Q2 1.7%, Q3 2.6%, Q4 3.1%, 2011: Q1 0.4%, Q2 1.3%, Q3 1.8%, Q4 3%, 2012: Q1 2.0%, Q2 1.2%, Q3 3.1%, Q4 0.4%, 2013: Q1 1.1%, Q2 2.5%, Q3 4.1%, Q4 2.6%, 2014: Q1 2.1%, Q2 4.6%, Q3 5.0%, Q4 2.2%, 2015: Q1 0.6%, Q2 3.9%, Q3 2.0%, Q4 1.4%,

As you can see from the actual numbers provided by the government, (DRUM ROLL) Obama ONLY had 3 quarters where the GDP growth exceeded 4.1%, (2009 Q4 and 2014 Q2 & Q3).

Here is another breakdown of Obama’s GDP: number of quarters negative 4 (four), between 0 and 0.9% 3 (three), between 1 and 1.9% 7 (seven), between 2 and 2.9% 9 (nine) between 3 and 3.9% 5 (five) between 4 and 4.9% 2 (two) and above 5% 2 (two).

I welcome any disagreement that you may have with the figures I provided but only if you reference actual numbers provided by the government. Here is a link to the Bureau of Economic Analysis documents.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/relsarchivegdp.htm

Oh, gee, dismiss good sources out of hand?

Note in the picture below, the source of the statistics for every (rolling) quarter since 1980: the BEA. Greyed out colors are lower than Trump's brag: colorful are higher. 4 pretty blue lines on Obama’s watch make this result the 5th best, if under him, and certainly not the "best in 13 years".

Full article here. C'mon, have a look at a real source with statistics evaluated by experts. It won't hurt you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/politics/wp/2018/07/27/the-gdp-number-is-good-but-not-as-good-as-donald-trump-jr-seems-to-think/
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 28th, 2018 at 10:52:48 AM permalink
Trump lags behind his predecessors on economic growth.

"It is commonly said that a President deserves some credit or blame for the economy’s performance only after he’s been in office about six months. On those terms, let’s measure Trump’s words against the record for real GDP growth over the last three quarters (July 2017 through March 2018). Over those quarters, GDP has grown at an annual rate of 2.6 percent. Comparing that pace to his last nine predecessors over comparable periods in their first terms, Trump here bests the four presidents who faced recessions in their first year in office (Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon). Trump’s other five predecessors came to office, as he did, during economic expansions. Among them, he’s tied for last place: Real GDP growth under Trump over the three quarters has lagged Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Lyndon Johnson and John Kennedy, and tied George H.W. Bush, as the data in the following table shows."
ams288
ams288
July 28th, 2018 at 12:11:31 PM permalink

Whether or not those news sources adhere to "journalistic standards", many do make mistakes and slant information.

I am just asking for any disagreement with my figures to be proven by providing information from the actual source on the information. I don't understand why you would have any problem with that.

You’ve done an admirable job muddying the waters to get us to move on from the fact that you wrongly claimed Obama didn’t have 4.1% GDP growth.

Perhaps if you paid attention to those “slanted” news sources, you wouldn’t have made this mistake!
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
Thanked by
petroglyph
July 28th, 2018 at 12:26:20 PM permalink

Oh, gee, dismiss good sources out of hand?

Note in the picture below, the source of the statistics for every (rolling) quarter since 1980: the BEA. Greyed out colors are lower than Trump's brag: colorful are higher. 4 pretty blue lines on Obama’s watch make this result the 5th best, if under him, and certainly not the "best in 13 years".

Full article here. C'mon, have a look at a real source with statistics evaluated by experts. It won't hurt you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/politics/wp/2018/07/27/the-gdp-number-is-good-but-not-as-good-as-donald-trump-jr-seems-to-think/

Thank you for providing me the link, I did read it and you proved me RIGHT. Additionally, now I know one of your sources of misinformation that you post here frequently.

From your linked article: "The CNBC’s John Harwood articulated where this quarter would rank under other recent presidents. It would be: The fifth best quarter under Obama."

Here are the FACTS: Obama's top 5 GDP growth rates (these figures are directly form the governments Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) of which I previously gave you a link):
(1) 2009 Q4 5.6%
(2) 2014 Q3 5.0%
(3) 2014 Q2 4.6%
(4) 2013 Q3 4.1%
(5) 2015 Q2 3.9%

I am not a math major but I know that 4.1% is greater than 3.9%. So the article ("REAL SOURCE" as you stated) that you linked to is WRONG, INCORRECT, etc, etc, etc. To be accurate and correct, your linked article should have read "Tied for fourth best under Obama.

I do not know how to make this clearer and you wonder why I did not desire you to provide me any information from sources other than the government's BEA.

Here is another quote from your link (or "good source"): "It’s important to note, though, that this 4.1 percent figure is not final. There are almost always revisions to initial GDP estimates as more data come in — and usually upward."

So if you believe your article, Trump's 4.1% GDP growth could go higher and could possibly exceed Obama's third highest.

I for one do not believe everything I read just because it is from a "REAL" or "GOOD" source.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 28th, 2018 at 12:26:39 PM permalink
Adjusted for inflation and hypocrisy, this was without a doubt the best GDP quarter EVAHR.
All you have to do is ignore history and accept that reality as we knew it no longer exists.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 28th, 2018 at 12:44:52 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

All you have to do is ignore history and accept that reality as we knew it no longer exists.

By jove, I think you've found Trump's 2020 campaign slogan...
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
July 28th, 2018 at 1:16:22 PM permalink

You’ve done an admirable job muddying the waters to get us to move on from the fact that you wrongly claimed Obama didn’t have 4.1% GDP growth.

Perhaps if you paid attention to those “slanted” news sources, you wouldn’t have made this mistake!

Show me EXACTLY where I wrongly claimed Obama didn't have 4.1% GDP growth.

Apology will be accepted.

Also if I paid attention to those "slanted" news sources, I would have spouted INCORRECT information.
ams288
ams288
July 28th, 2018 at 2:52:52 PM permalink

Show me EXACTLY where I wrongly claimed Obama didn't have 4.1% GDP growth.

Apology will be accepted.

I’m curious to see if you’re going to be shameless enough to try to gaslight and say that ISN'T what you were saying in this post:

Obama was too busy keeping the Russians out of the Crimea and Ukraine to go golfing.

Because we all know it was.
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
July 28th, 2018 at 3:13:30 PM permalink

I’m curious to see if you’re going to be shameless enough to try to gaslight and say that ISN'T what you were saying in this post:

Because we all know it was.

LOL! Nice try. Is that all you got? Trying to see something that isn't there?

I'm still waiting.
ams288
ams288
July 28th, 2018 at 3:20:24 PM permalink

LOL! Nice try. Is that all you got? Trying to see something that isn't there.

I honestly feel embarrassed for you.
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 28th, 2018 at 3:31:24 PM permalink

That's not the impression I got from Fleaswatter's post. I think at worst his post was just poorly worded to make a point about Obama golfing or something.

And later, in two separate posts, Fleaswatter even admits Obama had multiple +4% GDP quarters:

Here are the FACTS: Obama's top 5 GDP growth rates (these figures are directly form the governments Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) of which I previously gave you a link):
(1) 2009 Q4 5.6%
(2) 2014 Q3 5.0%
(3) 2014 Q2 4.6%
(4) 2013 Q3 4.1%
(5) 2015 Q2 3.9%

I think you guys are just getting into a semantic peeing contest, here.
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
July 28th, 2018 at 3:45:49 PM permalink

I honestly feel embarrassed for you.

Really? Is that still all you got.

I have some links that may be of assistance for you:

https://www.learningrx.com/reading-comprehension-help-for-adults/

https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informed/adult-literacy/

https://www.understandmore.com/i-adults.htm
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
July 28th, 2018 at 3:48:17 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

That's not the impression I got from Fleaswatter's post. I think at worst his post was just poorly worded to make a point about Obama golfing or something.

And later, in two separate posts, Fleaswatter even admits Obama had multiple +4% GDP quarters:

I think you guys are just getting into a semantic peeing contest, here.

There is no semantic peeing contest. Go back to my original post on the subject. It said nothing about Obama not achieving 4.1 GDP growth.
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 28th, 2018 at 3:57:37 PM permalink

There is no semantic peeing contest. Go back to my original post on the subject. It said nothing about Obama not achieving 4.1 GDP growth.

I know. I'm agreeing with you.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
July 28th, 2018 at 4:52:28 PM permalink

Really? Is that still all you got.

I have some links that may be of assistance for you:

https://www.learningrx.com/reading-comprehension-help-for-adults/

https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informed/adult-literacy/

https://www.understandmore.com/i-adults.htm

No, that's all YOU got. Warning. When you start calling people stupid or illiterate, you get suspended.

I agree with TigerWu. This has become a semantics argument. Let's move on.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 263
July 28th, 2018 at 6:02:43 PM permalink
I don't think it is fair to call Trump one of the Worst Presidents in US history.

- It isn't fair to James Buchanan, Franklin Pierce, and Andrew Johnson.

Obviously, Trump is the worst president in American history, and will hold that title for a long long time.

- Citizen Kang, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_VII

- https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/02/20/the-10-worst-presidents-besides-trump-who-do-scholars-scorn-the-most/?utm_term=.a891648709be

[Edit by mod: oncedear. Above link is behind a paywall. open in incognito mode to circumvent that restriction.]
Last edited by: OnceDear on Jul 28, 2018
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
July 28th, 2018 at 6:35:07 PM permalink

No, that's all YOU got. Warning. When you start calling people stupid or illiterate, you get suspended.

I agree with TigerWu. This has become a semantics argument. Let's move on.

I understand the warning. I do not agree that this is a semantics argument. Please explain.

I am still waiting for you to reply to my post about your linked Washington Post article.
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
July 28th, 2018 at 6:35:50 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I know. I'm agreeing with you.

Thank you!!
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
July 28th, 2018 at 8:30:20 PM permalink
https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2018/07/28/in-refusing-to-defend-assange-mainstream-media-exposes-its-true-nature/

<Last Tuesday a top lawyer for the New York Times named David McCraw warned a room full of judges that the prosecution of Julian Assange for WikiLeaks publications would set a very dangerous precedent which would end up hurting mainstream news media outlets like NYT, the Washington Post, and other outlets which publish secret government documents.>

<Curiously, as of this writing, McCraw’s words have found no mention in the Times itself,” activist Ray McGovern wrote for the alternative media outlet Consortium News. “In recent years, the newspaper has shown a marked proclivity to avoid printing anything that might risk its front row seat at the government trough>

< It is now public knowledge that the Ecuadorian government is actively seeking to turn Assange over to be arrested by the British government. This was initially reported by RT, then independently confirmed by The Intercept, and is today full mainstream public knowledge being reported by mainstream outlets like CNN.>

Where is the msm on Assange? Are they to busy telling stories about porn stars?

<The press today is failing to protect Julian Assange because it has no intention of creating an informed populace or holding power to account.>
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
July 28th, 2018 at 8:37:35 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2018/07/28/in-refusing-to-defend-assange-mainstream-media-exposes-its-true-nature/

<Last Tuesday a top lawyer for the New York Times named David McCraw warned a room full of judges that the prosecution of Julian Assange for WikiLeaks publications would set a very dangerous precedent which would end up hurting mainstream news media outlets like NYT, the Washington Post, and other outlets which publish secret government documents.>

<Curiously, as of this writing, McCraw’s words have found no mention in the Times itself,” activist Ray McGovern wrote for the alternative media outlet Consortium News. “In recent years, the newspaper has shown a marked proclivity to avoid printing anything that might risk its front row seat at the government trough>

< It is now public knowledge that the Ecuadorian government is actively seeking to turn Assange over to be arrested by the British government. This was initially reported by RT, then independently confirmed by The Intercept, and is today full mainstream public knowledge being reported by mainstream outlets like CNN.>

Where is the msm on Assange? Are they to busy telling stories about porn stars?

<The press today is failing to protect Julian Assange because it has no intention of creating an informed populace or holding power to account.>

So I just looked through CNN.com and didn't see it. Can you post a link please?
petroglyph
petroglyph
July 28th, 2018 at 8:45:19 PM permalink
My point is, the matter with Julian Assange who Ecuador is about to turn over to the Brits/Americans is a very important first amendment issue. Posters onboard here are tossing it back and forth about who publishes the best kung fu news. But none of the msm is saying much if anything about this free speech issue.

This issue deserves as much coverage as some politico's sex habits, but gets no coverage. That is why I turn to alternative news. I haven't watched cnn since the towers.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
July 28th, 2018 at 9:29:27 PM permalink
The Brits want him because he jumped bail. The Americans want him because they feel that Assange's publication of the Clinton emails is of interest to the Mueller investigation but there is no definitive statement by Justice that they would seek extradition of Assange once released to the Brits.

It's headlining in the UK. Unfortunately there is plenty of news not having anything to do with Trump that gets ignored due to the direct relationship between eyeballs and cash.

It's always been this way. Media outlets have to follow the cash. Expertise and journalism doesn't seem to matter anymore because people rely on sources, sone dubious, to confirm what they want to believe.

The funny thing is that almost all of us would be quick to jump on a story that said that Chinese card makers were making rigged decks for major last Vegas casinos but only half of are willing to disown a trump false narrative because we are too proud of our political beliefs to admit that a narrative is incorrect.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 28th, 2018 at 9:37:55 PM permalink

My point is, the matter with Julian Assange who Ecuador is about to turn over to the Brits/Americans is a very important first amendment issue. Posters onboard here are tossing it back and forth about who publishes the best kung fu news. But none of the msm is saying much if anything about this free speech issue.

This issue deserves as much coverage as some politico's sex habits, but gets no coverage. That is why I turn to alternative news. I haven't watched cnn since the towers.

If you jump bail, you still have an offense to settle. That's what he did. Like even if I had 50 traffic tickets dismissed which might be the original charge, if I fail to comply with part of the court process, I'm still going to have to answer to that.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
petroglyph
petroglyph
July 28th, 2018 at 9:41:17 PM permalink
Do you think that is why he has sheltered in the Ecuadorian embassy for 6 years for, is jumping bail?

The Swiss dropped charges years ago.

Again with the hookers.
boymimbo
boymimbo
Thanked by
ams288
July 28th, 2018 at 9:45:54 PM permalink

Beachbumbabs was too busy talking about politics to go golfing.
Actually she was working on making this forum a great place. Oh wait that was Fleaswatter.

Point is that a statement stating 'Oh wait that was xxxx' means that the subject of the last sentence did not do that. Unless you want to chalenge the meaning behind "oh wait'

The fact that Obama achieved 4.1%+ GDP growth many times invalidates your statement.

Hopefully for the sake of the united states those GDP numbers translatess into more tax revenues to balance the deficit that trump's tax cut exacerbated. Oh wait it doesn't.

rxwine
rxwine
July 28th, 2018 at 9:56:39 PM permalink

Do you think that is why he has sheltered in the Ecuadorian embassy for 6 years for, is jumping bail?

The Swiss dropped charges years ago.

Again with the hookers.

Well, you're not pointing out why he did stay. Saying the charges were dropped doesn't reinforce the reason for staying, just more reason for leaving.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
boymimbo
boymimbo
July 28th, 2018 at 9:57:24 PM permalink
Sweden... Swedes. Check your map. Assange received asylum because he feared he was wanted by the Americans under the Espionage Act.

But no decision had been made to press charges against him. Yet if charges are lsid, because he isn't a member of a media organizations like the NYT (the Risen case is currently very similar; the scale of Assange's releases are much greater) there is a fear that he would be found guilty and face the death penalty.

And you are right it is an important story because it seems like freedom of the press us different than freedom of speech.
rxwine
rxwine
July 28th, 2018 at 10:47:18 PM permalink
I don't know. Plenty of heroes of history get locked up rather than run. I doubt if they will execute him under public pressure. I also doubt they can keep him from speaking here. Is he in real danger in the US? Maybe, but I seriously doubt that also.

It's not like he's being released to a rogue nation with 1 hour trials then off to prison camp.
petroglyph
petroglyph
July 29th, 2018 at 12:56:33 AM permalink
He certainly believes that whatever lies outside the embassy building that he hasn't set foot out of in six years, is worse than staying in his room, the last few months without internet access.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
July 29th, 2018 at 3:41:42 AM permalink

The TARP bailout was made necessary during Bush years. And both parties bit the bullet and enacted the bailouts. Whether that was the best course of action at the time (and I think it was), both parties, all of Congress, and both the Bush and Obama administration need to own it.

The ironic part is that it's Trump who's trying to claim.credit for so much that was put in action before he got into office, and is doing everything possible to ruin it by deregulation of the same businesses who stole and crashed our economy.

Effing moron is way too kind.

I mentioned QE because it artificially stimulated GDP growth. Not whether or not it was justified.

That is a different discussion.

The Dodd Frank changes were necessary.

According to the WSJ, the US was losing an average of one small bank or credit union a day under Dodd Frank. It required them to keep more of their assets in cash, and they couldn’t make the small loans that kept them in business.

They were not the culprits, but Dodd Frank included them with the giant financial institutions anyway.

In turn, small businesses, which account for 50% of our GDP, and 60% of the jobs, found it difficult to secure even a small loan in order to survive, and business startups fell to an all time low.

The Dodd Frank overhaul passed the Senate 61-37, with bipartisan support. Even Barney Frank said the $50 billion asset threshold for regulation in his bill was 'a mistake'. He preferred a $125 billion threshold, but described the overhaul as 'mostly reasonable'. The new bill raises the threshold to $250 billion, which targets the very financial institutions who were responsible for the meltdown that cost 8.7 million jobs.

No worries. In the next quarter or so, the GDP will revert back to the mean, and the losers can wallow in their eternal gloom.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
July 29th, 2018 at 9:14:22 AM permalink

I understand the warning. I do not agree that this is a semantics argument. Please explain.

I am still waiting for you to reply to my post about your linked Washington Post article.

Had you directed your comment at an anti-Trumper no warning would have been issued. You would have received a thank you.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
ams288
ams288
July 29th, 2018 at 11:29:47 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Had you directed your comment at an anti-Trumper no warning would have been issued. You would have received a thank you.

This is nonsense.

The victim mentality of some righties on this board never fails to amuse...
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
July 29th, 2018 at 6:12:26 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

The fact that Obama achieved 4.1%+ GDP growth many times invalidates your statement.

"Many times" is wildly erroneous. Obama has the worst record of GDP growth of any president since record keeping started.
Here is the far more significant annual measure of GDP performance minus the cherry picking of less than a handful of the 32 quarters:

2009: minus 2.8%

2010: 2.5%

2011: 1.6%

2012: 2.2%

2013: 1.7%

2014: 2.4%

2015: 2.6%

2016: 1.9%

CNN

Quote: boymimbo

Hopefully for the sake of the united states those GDP numbers translates into more tax revenues to balance the deficit that trump's tax cut exacerbated. Oh wait it doesn't.

Oh, if the numbers are out already, please have the wherewithal to post them here, especially in view of the fact that past cuts in income taxes resulted in major increases in tax revenues. See the 60's and the 80's-90's.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Mooseton
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
July 29th, 2018 at 7:40:52 PM permalink

This is nonsense.

The victim mentality of some righties on this board never fails to amuse...

Are you suggesting that I'm a rightie?

It sure seems like it since you were responding to me.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
  • Jump to: