Thread Rating:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 29th, 2018 at 6:10:07 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Obama's responses were well thought out, but if you put them to paper, you would have alot of "uhhss" in them.

Trump likes to stammer and yammer. I don't hold that trait against him. Just everything else he does.

There is no way I could bring myself to vote for someone who speaks in the manner that Trump does. The person could agree, 100%, with every single political view that I have and there is still no way I could do it.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
Thanked by
Mission146
January 29th, 2018 at 6:39:39 AM permalink
What's really interesting is how much Trump's speaking ability has declined over the years.

If you watch interviews with him from the 80s and 90s, he was much more coherent and well spoken. Now it's a constant word salad spewing from his mouth.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
rsactuary
January 29th, 2018 at 6:42:25 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Obama, Romney, Gore, Bush, Voter Id.

I get it.

What's confusing about voter ID? I think the Election fraud talk is WAY OVERBLOWN, but the ID laws help to ensure the integrity of the election. Besides, everyone should have a state-issued ID, anyway. Like anything else, it's good to avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 29th, 2018 at 6:45:09 AM permalink
I thought that one big sentence from trump was just a post from terapined. But there were bits and pieces that when you put them together kinda sorta made sense I guess.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Jan 29, 2018
boymimbo
boymimbo
January 29th, 2018 at 8:00:43 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

What's confusing about voter ID? I think the Election fraud talk is WAY OVERBLOWN, but the ID laws help to ensure the integrity of the election. Besides, everyone should have a state-issued ID, anyway. Like anything else, it's good to avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety.

Trump did fold his Voter fraud commission because it was a bunch of hooey. I love how it's more important to force people to have voter ID than to force the issue of gerrymandering which is a direct assault to democracy.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Mission146
Mission146
January 29th, 2018 at 8:29:53 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Trump did fold his Voter fraud commission because it was a bunch of hooey. I love how it's more important to force people to have voter ID than to force the issue of gerrymandering which is a direct assault to democracy.

I am not a fan of gerrymandering, I just don't think requiring ID at the voting place is a big ask. In my opinion, if you have even so much as one person (though probably unavoidable to have a few here and there) cast more than one ballot, then that is too many. Now, I think you need to compromise and make a basic State ID (but not a driver's license) free so that nobody can gripe about that. As far as the people in their 90's who lack birth certificates because they can't be found, or whatever the argument is, maybe just grandfather in people of a certain age. Besides that, did those people never have a photo ID? A birth certificate certainly shouldn't be required to renew an ID, should it?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 29th, 2018 at 10:23:31 AM permalink
People are still whining about the whole "voter ID" thing? Why?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 29th, 2018 at 11:00:07 AM permalink
Quote: RS

People are still whining about the whole "voter ID" thing? Why?

Because skewed laws passed by legislations in many states are just being implemented the last couple of years and are creating problems. Because the issue didn't go away, it just went underground after the botched audit attempt . And because most states are toughening their id requirements due to id-to-fly laws. Most ID's are renewed for multiple years, so there's a cycle to get through.

I've lived in Florida for 21 years now, licensed the whole time, usually renewed by mail. Didn't matter. I had to produce an unexpired passport or a certified birth certificate in person at the DMV to renew this time.New laws, guaranteed to cause problems for years.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mission146
Mission146
January 29th, 2018 at 11:42:31 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Because skewed laws passed by legislations in many states are just being implemented the last couple of years and are creating problems. Because the issue didn't go away, it just went underground after the botched audit attempt . And because most states are toughening their id requirements due to id-to-fly laws. Most ID's are renewed for multiple years, so there's a cycle to get through.

I've lived in Florida for 21 years now, licensed the whole time, usually renewed by mail. Didn't matter. I had to produce an unexpired passport or a certified birth certificate in person at the DMV to renew this time.New laws, guaranteed to cause problems for years.

I never realized all of that.

I think the problem is with the renewal procedures, then, rather than Voter ID laws. Voting is a fundamental right, and whatever the procedure by which a person obtained the initial ID should be, ‘Grandfathered,’ as sufficient for renewal.

Granted, that may cause certain state ID’s to be insufficient for flying, perhaps other things, but whatever mechanism that caused you to obtain the initial ID that was at least sufficient to vote should remain in place for renewal of same.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 29th, 2018 at 11:55:48 AM permalink
Vice President Mike Pence

@VP

A few days ago, Karen & I paid our respects at Yad Vashem to honor the 6 million Jewish martyrs of the Holocaust who 3 years after walking beneath the shadow of death, rose up from the ashes to resurrect themselves to reclaim a Jewish future. #HolocaustRemembranceDay #NeverAgain
5:10 AM - Jan 27, 2018

Can someone more fluent in rump speak translate this?
Is he saying the six million dead Jews are now in Heaven with Jesus so all worked out in the end?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
boymimbo
boymimbo
Thanked by
beachbumbabstringlomane
January 29th, 2018 at 12:11:22 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Vice President Mike Pence

@VP

A few days ago, Karen & I paid our respects at Yad Vashem to honor the 6 million Jewish martyrs of the Holocaust who 3 years after walking beneath the shadow of death, rose up from the ashes to resurrect themselves to reclaim a Jewish future. #HolocaustRemembranceDay #NeverAgain
5:10 AM - Jan 27, 2018

Can someone more fluent in rump speak translate this?
Is he saying the six million dead Jews are now in Heaven with Jesus so all worked out in the end?

He's talking about the birth of Israel (the Jewish future) in 1948, 3 years after the Holocaust ending.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 29th, 2018 at 12:22:40 PM permalink
Other than it is a bit of a hassle to locate the documents and visit the Election office, I see nothing wrong with requiring that people prove they are American citizens as a condition precedent to being permitted to vote.

BBB, you didn't mention it but I assume someone will "pass" the test if they show proof they are naturalized citizens (and not here illegally, or on a visa / green card)?
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 29th, 2018 at 6:29:50 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Other than it is a bit of a hassle to locate the documents and visit the Election office, I see nothing wrong with requiring that people prove they are American citizens as a condition precedent to being permitted to vote.

BBB, you didn't mention it but I assume someone will "pass" the test if they show proof they are naturalized citizens (and not here illegally, or on a visa / green card)?

That's my understanding, though I'll know more next year. My mother is a naturalized Canadian. However, she also holds a valid US passport that won't expire until after the license does. I'm not sure.whether they'll accept JUST her passport since it shows she was born outside the US. I have located her naturalization papers, though, so I think we'll have those along just in case.

I'm also not sure she'll ever drive again. So she may not even bother to renew it. But I hope to get her to the DMV for valid ID regardless.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 29th, 2018 at 6:39:23 PM permalink
The only reason I'm boycotting the actual watching of the State of the Union speech is if the ratings are low enough Trump will rant and rave, then brag how his SotU speech had the best ratings ever in all of history.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
Thanked by
RSMaxPenbobbartopAxelWolf
January 29th, 2018 at 6:50:53 PM permalink
I'm not a trump fan... But I still want to know when is Hillary deservedly going to go to jail?
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
January 29th, 2018 at 7:17:02 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

I'm not a trump fan... But I still want to know when is Hillary deservedly going to go to jail?

When she's found guilty of committing a crime. Despite the right's best tries, they haven't been able to do that yet. Maybe she hasn't committed any. :-O
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 29th, 2018 at 7:35:49 PM permalink
"What, me worry?"
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
January 29th, 2018 at 10:09:23 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

When she's found guilty of committing a crime. Despite the right's best tries, they haven't been able to do that yet. Maybe she hasn't committed any. :-O

Hey rsactuary, when I'm headed up the river someday, I want YOU on my jury.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 30th, 2018 at 4:30:55 AM permalink

I didn’t know liberals thought that it was possible someone could be innocent. They need to keep digging and digging even in the face of no guilt.
rsactuary
rsactuary
Thanked by
ams288
January 30th, 2018 at 6:01:58 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

I didn’t know liberals thought that it was possible someone could be innocent. They need to keep digging and digging even in the face of no guilt.

Now that is a laughable comment considering Benghazi.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 30th, 2018 at 6:25:03 AM permalink

Now that is a laughable comment considering Benghazi.

That 'digging' saved the USA from a HRC presidency, so it may have been the most important 'digging' of my lifetime. HRC committed no crime in the Benghazi incident, but her incompetence was brought to light. Given the razor sharp margin she lost the election by, had the Benghazi information not been made public through 'digging', we would be under an HRC presidency now. Just like now, all these investigations into Trump peeing and colluding and philandering will not result in any criminal conviction, but they will result in him losing just enough voters to fail in 2020. So the left will keep digging because it suits their goal, not because they actually think a crime was committed.
ams288
ams288
January 30th, 2018 at 6:51:49 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

That 'digging' saved the USA from a HRC presidency, so it may have been the most important 'digging' of my lifetime.

Sounds to me like you're glad Trump raised your taxes.
rsactuary
rsactuary
January 30th, 2018 at 6:54:31 AM permalink

That 'digging' saved the USA from a HRC presidency, so it may have been the most important 'digging' of my lifetime. HRC committed no crime in the Benghazi incident, but her incompetence was brought to light. Given the razor sharp margin she lost the election by, had the Benghazi information not been made public through 'digging', we would be under an HRC presidency now. Just like now, all these investigations into Trump peeing and colluding and philandering will not result in any criminal conviction, but they will result in him losing just enough voters to fail in 2020. So the left will keep digging because it suits their goal, not because they actually think a crime was committed.

There are lots of reasons why HRC lost, but Benghazi is low on the list, imo. I think the majority of Americans saw through that sheetshow put on by Republicans.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 30th, 2018 at 7:16:47 AM permalink

There are lots of reasons why HRC lost, but Benghazi is low on the list, imo. I think the majority of Americans saw through that sheetshow put on by Republicans.

I'll disagree on the term streetshow. I'll agree that the majority agree with you that it did not disqualify HRC from their vote. My point is that enough swing state voters saw her flaw and that prevented her from getting their vote, enough to change the election result.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 30th, 2018 at 7:24:35 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

I'm not sure 'glad' is the correct word, but I accept it. The government is expensive to run, and I do my part in funding it. The main part I dislike about the Trump/Republican tax law is that it intentionally targets those in high tax states (i.e. Democrat states). I am against using a law as a punishment for not voting for you, which is essentially what the Republicans have done with the new tax law.
Boz
Boz
January 30th, 2018 at 8:17:05 AM permalink

In the immortal words of Debbie “Blabbermouth” Shultz....

$1000 won’t go very far.

She obviously never lived week to week and was happy for an extra $15 a week after taxes. Add in the bonuses and wage increases some employers have given their employees, it laughable that Dems are still trying to argue against the bill.

Hell many working Americans would let Trump piss on them for $1000.
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
bobbartop
January 30th, 2018 at 8:30:47 AM permalink

it laughable that Dems are still trying to argue against the bill.

It's laughable that suddenly the GOP is perfectly happy adding $1.5 trillion to the deficit.

Maybe all those tea party protests WERE just because the President was black???
ams288
ams288
January 30th, 2018 at 8:33:54 AM permalink

I'm not sure 'glad' is the correct word, but I accept it. The government is expensive to run, and I do my part in funding it. The main part I dislike about the Trump/Republican tax law is that it intentionally targets those in high tax states (i.e. Democrat states). I am against using a law as a punishment for not voting for you, which is essentially what the Republicans have done with the new tax law.

Well said.

That's one difference between the Dems and GOP. When the Dems have power, they never target red states for punishment. Whereas many GOP congress people were happy to gloat about how the tax bill would harm people in NYC and San Francisco.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 30th, 2018 at 9:22:21 AM permalink

I can think of at least four who did not.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 30th, 2018 at 9:29:38 AM permalink

It's laughable that suddenly the GOP is perfectly happy adding $1.5 trillion to the deficit.

Maybe all those tea party protests WERE just because the President was black???

I gotta click the thank-you button on this. Except you could have left out the 'black' comment, and the 'laughable' comment.

But hey, I know Rand Paul is against it.

I'm kinda used to this nonsense. I was a young republican when Reagan beat Carter, and we thought a debt that was still under a trillion dollars was a disaster. Then "fiscal conservative" Reagan got in and "slashed" the debt all the way down to 1-1/2 trillion. They're all a bunch of phonies. Nothing's changed.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 30th, 2018 at 9:32:36 AM permalink

O.J. didn't go to prison for murder. He must not have done it.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 30th, 2018 at 9:38:46 AM permalink
Its so funny the left and rights attitude to testifying under oath
Bill and Hillary were investigated
Both had to testify under oath.
The Left yawned, 2 intelligent people testifying, nothing to worry about
The right is trying to convince Trump not to talk to Mueller because they know Trump does not have the intelligence to get through it unscathed
Trump is a moron and the right knows it
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
rsactuary
rsactuary
January 30th, 2018 at 9:48:18 AM permalink

At least he had a trial. They can't even find anything on HRC to even charge her with a crime!
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 30th, 2018 at 9:50:33 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Trump is moron and the right knows it

Yeah, right, against ALL odds, managed to beat the Beast. A moron is one thing he is not.

But it sounds good. If you're 12.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
January 30th, 2018 at 9:52:13 AM permalink
Against what odds? The incumbent party rarely wins a third term.

In a heavily divided country, enough Americans towed the party line and abandoned morals while the rest were duped by fake facebook news and voted third party. And he still lost by 3 million.

Maybe that 1/5th a person Electoral College system is, umm, a little dated?
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 30th, 2018 at 9:57:05 AM permalink

They can't even find anything on HRC to even charge her with a crime!

Like an honest and un-rigged prosecutor?

Any more disingenuous and totally non-objective comments you'd like to add? Fascinating.
bobbartop
bobbartop
Thanked by
MaxPenSOOPOORS
January 30th, 2018 at 9:59:28 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

Omg, lmao! Congrats, the WEAKEST reply ever posted in a political thread in all of WoV history. Hang your head.
Steverinos
Steverinos
January 30th, 2018 at 10:03:19 AM permalink

Omg, lmao! Congrats, the WEAKEST reply ever posted in a political thread in all of WoV history. Hang your head.

There were several polls that had the race pretty damn tight, especially after Comey's announcement. The odds weren't THAT steep. I understand that Trump wasn't supposed to win because he's a creep, but the truth is that enough Americans in swing states were duped by fake news and fell for it.

Carry on.
Steverinos
Steverinos
January 30th, 2018 at 10:17:53 AM permalink

Classic conservative tactic. Cut out the entire context of what's being discussed. Am I lying? DOES the incumbent party typically win third terms? Or not? And WERE the polls tighter on election day? Or not? Especially after Comey's announcement? (which by the way, kinda contradicts that the FBI is a left leaning organization and was doing everything it could to elect Hillary Clinton, the FBI is leftist? LMAO #releasetheproof) And IS the 1/5th a person Electoral College system dated? Or not?
rsactuary
rsactuary
January 30th, 2018 at 10:21:16 AM permalink

Like an honest and un-rigged prosecutor?

Any more disingenuous and totally non-objective comments you'd like to add? Fascinating.

For your reading pleasure. Just to remind you the Republicans headed this committee. Sorry that facts don't matter to you much.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/us/politics/hillary-clinton-benghazi.html
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 30th, 2018 at 10:30:02 AM permalink

Nope. I believe I've been suspended twice. Both by Mike.

No one is safe from Mike. Write anything remotely insulting and he catches it, you're gone for 3 days minimum. If he read this thread more, he could have a field day suspending members.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 30th, 2018 at 10:32:37 AM permalink

The DA botched the criminal trial. There was plenty of evidence to convict him. Furthermore he was found liable for the murders in civil court.
RS
RS
January 30th, 2018 at 1:04:26 PM permalink

In a heavily divided country, enough Americans towed the party line and abandoned morals while the rest were duped by fake facebook news and voted third party. And he still lost by 3 million.

Maybe that 1/5th a person Electoral College system is, umm, a little dated?

I thought he won by 77 votes?
Steverinos
Steverinos
January 30th, 2018 at 1:08:41 PM permalink

I thought he won by 77 votes?

It's true. The Electoral College has lost its relevance.
RS
RS
January 30th, 2018 at 1:33:52 PM permalink

It's true. The Electoral College has lost its relevance.

Why do you say that?
TigerWu
TigerWu
January 30th, 2018 at 1:37:50 PM permalink

Why do you say that?

It allows for wildly unbalanced voting power.
Boz
Boz
January 30th, 2018 at 1:46:42 PM permalink
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/congressman-calls-for-police-to-arrest-undocumented-immigrants-at-state-of-the-union/2018/01/30/9f93feba-05e7-11e8-b48c-b07fea957bd5_story.html?utm_term=.905e81f681a8

Finally common sense on security. Not sure how an illegal can gain entry into a secure area like Congress. Or maybe having a fake ID isn’t a crime anymore. Makes you wonder how safe air travel is and who is on your plane.
TigerWu
TigerWu
January 30th, 2018 at 2:17:50 PM permalink

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/congressman-calls-for-police-to-arrest-undocumented-immigrants-at-state-of-the-union/2018/01/30/9f93feba-05e7-11e8-b48c-b07fea957bd5_story.html?utm_term=.905e81f681a8

Finally common sense on security. Not sure how an illegal can gain entry into a secure area like Congress. Or maybe having a fake ID isn’t a crime anymore. Makes you wonder how safe air travel is and who is on your plane.

I just couldn't get past this quote from that article:

“Of all the places where the Rule of Law needs to be enforced, it should be in the hallowed halls of Congress,”

If we did that, then 90% of Congressmen would be out of a job.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
MaxPen
January 30th, 2018 at 2:26:07 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

It allows for wildly unbalanced voting power.

The EC prevents wildly unbalanced voting power.

She won the popular vote by 2,860,000 votes.

She won LA by 1,694,621 votes.

She won NYC by 1,508,746 votes.

Either city alone would have provided more than enough votes to win the popular vote.

If we don’t count LA, she wins the popular vote by 1,165,379 votes.

She lost Staten Island. Which means the population living in a 243 sq. mile area would have decided the election for a 3.8 sq. mile nation.

We could rule the rest of you every time.

Combining both cities, the populations living within 749 Sq. miles would have picked the leader for a 3.8 million sq. mile nation.

Without the EC, anyone living outside of LA and NYC could stay home and watch us own them on CNN.
Last edited by: Tanko on Jan 30, 2018
bac8or9
bac8or9
  • Threads: 0
January 30th, 2018 at 2:41:45 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

" I invite discussion of his Final 100 days, which has hopefully now begun."

I may offer side bets on whether I started the countdown too soon. In truth, I think that the wheels of justice will plod along at glacial pace, but that they will be as unstoppable as................................(so on and so forth)

I am really neutral in politics and I wholeheartedly believe in he/she whom won, won by the greater amount of votes, why dwell in the past or dwell in losing?

But anyways, here is my question. It's been more than 100 days past your initial 100 days, no? What happened?

And by the way, even though Clinton's husband was impeached and committed criminal acts, he is still pretty popular and so is she, oh yeah, she has not been convicted yet huh....

• Jump to: