20 votes (34.48%)
38 votes (65.51%)

58 members have voted

MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 2nd, 2017 at 6:37:01 PM permalink
Quote: Homelessnyc

So a sample size of 1028 people represent the whole country. Glad I know this now

If 538 people can represent the whole country, why not 1028? Do you deny the validity of statistics as a discipline altogether -- or only when you don't like the results?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
RS
RS
  • Threads: 59
January 2nd, 2017 at 6:54:01 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

If 538 people can represent the whole country, why not 1028? Do you deny the validity of statistics as a discipline altogether -- or only when you don't like the results?

You do realize those 538 people (electoral college) aren't typically just voting for whomever the hell they want.....but for whomever the people of their states voted for? (This is a rhetorical question.)
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Homelessnyc
Homelessnyc
  • Threads: 5
January 2nd, 2017 at 6:55:44 PM permalink
So the people in the article go thru the same process of being selected as the 538 members of the electoral college or do you like to make apple and orange comparisons hoping people don't understand how things operate?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 156
January 2nd, 2017 at 7:06:56 PM permalink
Republicans are getting prepared to work with Trump

Quote:

House Republicans have moved to adopt a proposal weakening the outside ethics watchdog for Congress, removing its independence.

The House Republican Conference on Monday adopted Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte's (R-Va.) amendment to the larger rules package being voted on Tuesday, the first day of the new Congress.

[...]

It would bar the office from considering anonymous tips about potential ethics violations and prevent disclosures about investigations.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-gop-votes-to-rein-in-independent-ethics-watchdog/ar-BBxPwWL?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
prisoner of gravity
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
January 2nd, 2017 at 7:19:11 PM permalink

So the people in the article go thru the same process of being selected as the 538 members of the electoral college or do you like to make apple and orange comparisons hoping people don't understand how things operate?

If you didn't understand how things operated, you wouldn't have understood the reference. And since you *do* understand how things operate, you've been deliberately obtuse by rejecting statistics. You can play dumb or you can play smart, but you can't do both consistently. Pick a side, friend.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Homelessnyc
Homelessnyc
January 2nd, 2017 at 7:33:35 PM permalink

If you didn't understand how things operated, you wouldn't have understood the reference. And since you *do* understand how things operate, you've been deliberately obtuse by rejecting statistics. You can play dumb or you can play smart, but you can't do both consistently. Pick a side, friend.

I pick the side that keeps people like you honest, friend
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
January 2nd, 2017 at 7:42:21 PM permalink

I pick the side that keeps people like you honest, friend

Denying the validity of statistics is as honest as denying the validity of nuclear chemistry or archaeology, but you're not claiming that the Earth is only 6000 years old just because you don't believe in carbon-14 dating or because you've seen paintings in Ken Ham's living room of a boy riding a dinosaur.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 156
January 2nd, 2017 at 7:53:27 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Trump has as much chance of being
impeached as the EC vote had of failing
to vote for him.
Zero chance.

You might be right Evenbob. Trump implied his ardent supporters would follow him even if he shot someone on 5th ave, why would they push to impeach him? He implied they are too stupid to do what's right or just.

Congress likely won't act without public support.
prisoner of gravity
Homelessnyc
Homelessnyc
January 2nd, 2017 at 7:57:33 PM permalink

Denying the validity of statistics is as honest as denying the validity of nuclear chemistry or archaeology, but you're not claiming that the Earth is only 6000 years old just because you don't believe in carbon-14 dating or because you've seen paintings in Ken Ham's living room of a boy riding a dinosaur.

And you're back talking nonsense and you want people to take you seriously... good luck with that
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
January 2nd, 2017 at 8:06:39 PM permalink

And you're back talking nonsense and you want people to take you seriously... good luck with that

Which part is nonsense -- the part about a boy riding a dinosaur?

That's from Ken Ham's wild imagination and is the sort of thing one might believe if one denies the validity of scientific methods.

• Jump to: