AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
March 1st, 2015 at 9:38:22 AM permalink
Call me cheap all you like, I call myself "frugal."

I use coupons. I am into "prep" and having a store of food for emergencies, so coupons are a good way to do that. I will buy store brands for most things, one exception is Ketchup, where they can give away the store brand and I will still buy Heinz.

In nice weather I lately change my own oil again. Saves just a few buck but keeps me feeling "manly" and makes my dad feel good to watch me do it flawlessly.

The times I have stayed in Vegas I mostly stayed at Flamingo, same center-strip location at half the price of across the street. Though on airlines I just check JBLU first and if the price is fair I use it, so much better of a flight. Once they even gave out a neat little "red-eye" kit for a red-eye flight.

My house is less than the price of some cars. But I am not stretching to live at all. I have kept my living expense to the old-time 25% of income guideline, actually a tad less. Amazing how much better it feels with an impending lay-off when that is not such a bite.

Didn't buy a car without the payments more than covered with reserves. Had to make payments on a bottom-line car last time. Bad, bad feeling. So I bought a 13 year old car? Who cares? Looks decent and does the job. I prefer having $250-350 a month. Three years from now I can do it again!

I was always careful, but I think the number of layoffs that have hit me the last 8 years will make me live small forever. I forever just try to reduce expenses and debt while figuring how to guarantee I have the minimum to keep off the street and the lights on. I have seen so many people buried while living too above their means. Scared Straight.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
zoobrew
zoobrew
  • Threads: 13
March 1st, 2015 at 9:39:57 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

We are taking a cruise out of NOLA in april. I will save $300 on my flight by renting a car and flying home out of Birmingham than flying out of NOLA, which is what we are doing. It will be a five hour drive, Does that count as cheap?

At $300/5hr it means you value your time at under $60 per hour and that is before the cost of the car and gas, so really you could be valuing yourself at under $20/hour or soon the new minimal wage. Some people who spend extra time being cheap, can really cheapen the value of themselves. Of course it also depends on the quality of the time you are spending on saving money, are you taking time away from your love ones or the time sitting back mindlessly drinking a cold one.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 14
March 1st, 2015 at 9:52:37 AM permalink
Quote: zoobrew

are you taking time away from your love ones or the time sitting back mindlessly drinking a cold one.

Doing both: priceless.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
March 1st, 2015 at 9:52:49 AM permalink
All my clothes are from the salvation army and I wait til Saturdays because everything is half price. My condo is also decorated with cheap, second-hand paintings from the thrift. You know, the one with the tall ship in angry seas.

I splurge on food. Eggs have to be those fancy organic ones where the hen gets daily mani pedis; no sweat shop eggs. My grocery bill for just myself is 75 per week.
Dieter
Dieter
  • Threads: 7
March 1st, 2015 at 10:15:01 AM permalink

At $300/5hr it means you value your time at under $60 per hour and that is before the cost of the car and gas, so really you could be valuing yourself at under $20/hour or soon the new minimal wage.

Pretty sure that's 5 hours each way. So, $30/hr. Divide that by the number of people in the car...
May the cards fall in your favor.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 73
March 1st, 2015 at 10:34:54 AM permalink

At $300/5hr it means you value your time at under $60 per hour and that is before the cost of the car and gas, so really you could be valuing yourself at under $20/hour or soon the new minimal wage. Some people who spend extra time being cheap, can really cheapen the value of themselves. Of course it also depends on the quality of the time you are spending on saving money, are you taking time away from your love ones or the time sitting back mindlessly drinking a cold one.

$300 includes expected rental and gas.

It also is not an automatic 5 hour time difference either. The flight we are taking will get us to the local airport at 11:20 I think. The flight that we would take from NOLA would get us home at 9:50 because there is an extra 2 hour layover.

However, even if I did value my time at under 20 an hour, I would be happy to take a job driving for $20 an hour since it would be more than I am making now.
#freevarmenti
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 73
March 1st, 2015 at 10:40:23 AM permalink
I just got in from snow blowing the driveway. I was thinking about this thread. I often times call myself cheap but I think it stems from being "poor". I am not being cheap necessarily because I want to, but because I have to. If I didn't try to save every single penny then there are many things that we could not do.

I have been an extreme couponer long before there was a show about it. I can save 70% a week with coupon but people often think that I am crazy. If you opened a store where all food was 70% off then they would have lines 4 hours long. I am happy to save $1.50 on a $2 item but people don't think it is worth it. What they don't realize us when you add up those 45 coupons in 1 trip then you just saved an entire tank of gas.
#freevarmenti
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 17
March 1st, 2015 at 11:36:11 AM permalink
I'm cheap as a hobby, though it's tempered by laziness.

Stacking coupons and various other deals once, I was PAID 15$ to take about 6lb of pork chops.
westgawolf
westgawolf
  • Threads: 4
March 1st, 2015 at 12:14:27 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

one exception is Ketchup, where they can give away the store brand and I will still buy Heinz.

I thought I was the only one who did this!! I've never tasted another ketchup better than Heinz.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 23
March 1st, 2015 at 12:49:54 PM permalink
Gasoline is one of the most price-sensitive commodities in America. Almost anyone on any given day can tell you what the nominal price of gas is in their area. I can't think of anything else that we buy for which there is such universal price awareness.

But driving a long way for slightly cheaper gas? Not me. I factor in the cost of driving -which the federal govt reimburses at about 50 cents per mile. That always seems high to me but it their estimate of the cost of gas, wear and tear on tires and the car, and depreciation of the value of your car as a function of mileage. So at a savings of, say, 10 cents per gallon for a 15 gallon fill-up, I could only justify driving 3 miles roundtrip. That's not very far.

• Jump to: