mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
March 1st, 2015 at 1:03:25 PM permalink
I'm cheap in some ways, not so cheap in others. I live in a one room shack because I'm to cheap to pay more rent, even though I could well afford it. When I'm out working I don't mind the fast food joints but if there is anything more upscale then that's where I'll stop. I order water with lemon in these places because I like to get the vitaman c without the sugar. I generally tip 20%. I don't go for the cheap stuff in the grocery stores. I ate enough of that Top Ramen crap when I was poor.

edit: Bartenders always get at least a ten dollar bill off me.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 402
March 1st, 2015 at 1:20:48 PM permalink
My wife is a cheapskate about everything,
but will lose $400 in the slots without
batting an eye. Drives me nuts.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 81
March 1st, 2015 at 1:24:27 PM permalink
I borrow tp from the finest CET suites. Also their bathrobes. Also their toiletries.

Axel has been known to borrow cups and utensils from bars and restaurants lol
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 1st, 2015 at 1:28:22 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Axel has been known to borrow cups and utensils from bars and restaurants lol

If I was going to be doing stuff like that I would be borrowing the Heinz 57, the A1, the Tabasco.....
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
March 1st, 2015 at 1:31:53 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I just got in from snow blowing the driveway. I was thinking about this thread. I often times call myself cheap but I think it stems from being "poor". I am not being cheap necessarily because I want to, but because I have to. If I didn't try to save every single penny then there are many things that we could not do.

I have been an extreme couponer long before there was a show about it. I can save 70% a week with coupon but people often think that I am crazy. If you opened a store where all food was 70% off then they would have lines 4 hours long. I am happy to save $1.50 on a $2 item but people don't think it is worth it. What they don't realize us when you add up those 45 coupons in 1 trip then you just saved an entire tank of gas.

I don't think it is just "being poor" as I have met many "poor" people who waste money left and right. I hear worse stories from a friend who is in social work. I think it is learning that if you want something nice you need to find a way. Some people are just not taught that certain foods don't go bad so you build a pantry with coupons, then you have food to cook and save money on take-out.

It is "leaks" that kill most people, same as in poker. They have "hobbies" like hanging at the bar that burn cash. $20 a night, once or twice a week is four figures. But they rarely notice. But just as important is hustling to make a few bucks!

I just sold my mother's old sewing machine, $25. People laugh at me and give me junk. Sold my brother's old bike for IIRC $80, was possibly too low as it sold in 3 hours. Have 2 more bikes and a carrier in the garage I will move when spring comes. When I bought the place the lady left a dog kennel, that was $35 or so in my pocket. I have other stuff I keep trying to move. Because it is a rush! So many people I know, some broke, refuse to sell items because they think they will be murdered by a serial killer or something. Now having a bigger car I can take more stuff from friends and family and sell it off. I'm not too proud!
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 1st, 2015 at 1:36:13 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It is "leaks" that kill most people, same as in poker. They have "hobbies" like hanging at the bar that burn cash. $20 a night, once or twice a week is four figures. But they rarely notice. But just as important is hustling to make a few bucks!

$20 a night? I rarely get out for less than a hundred.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 402
March 1st, 2015 at 1:39:39 PM permalink
When I had the cab co, the 1st and 15th
were when people got their welfare
checks and they called lots of cabs. First
stop was the liquor store for booze and
smokes and lottery tickets. Next stop
was Burger King for a bag of fat and
carbs that weighed 6 pounds. They often
paid me in food stamps, $10 in FS for
a $5 cab ride. I used them at my grocery
store and was never questioned.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
djatc
djatc
March 1st, 2015 at 1:47:58 PM permalink
I usually order more then I eat at restaurants maybe 1.5 times so I can eat it for breakfast. Saves me money and makes me happy that I didn't squander a comp.

Its gotten pretty scary. I wouldn't read a menu and order, and my total equaled .50c - $1 under my comp balance.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
sc15
sc15
  • Threads: 11
March 1st, 2015 at 1:53:28 PM permalink
I know a guy who did the math on how much he was spending on his girlfriend and how many times they had sex, and figured out it'd be cheaper to pay hookers instead. And he actually dumped his girlfriend after that.

That's more than just being cheap though. The guy's psychotic.
djatc
djatc
March 1st, 2015 at 1:58:44 PM permalink
Quote: sc15

I know a guy who did the math on how much he was spending on his girlfriend and how many times they had sex, and figured out it'd be cheaper to pay hookers instead. And he actually dumped his girlfriend after that.

That's more than just being cheap though. The guy's psychotic.

Is he a CEO of a fortune 500? That's pretty damn smart.

• Jump to: