RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
November 28th, 2014 at 5:07:41 PM permalink
I am afraid this time will be a hot war and the Saudis get nuked. I'll be surprised if USD is worth much in a few years.
100% risk of ruin
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 218
November 28th, 2014 at 5:48:38 PM permalink
Quote: Zuga

I heard Putin's statement the other week ( made to the Russian medias ) where he blamed the West ( read the USA ) for deliberately knocking down the price of oil so it would hurt the Russian economy, which is so dependant on it.

I would not be surprised this was true... as we are witnessing the new cold war here. But then again by trying to hurt Russia this way, wouldnt they be hurting themselves too? How many other countries depend on selling the oil and how many USA companies ?

I don't doubt it is true, same thing happened in 1985/86. Saudis helped totally crash the price. Reagan got them on-board to do it. The payoff to them was 20 years of slowed production in the USA to make up for a few years of lower prices. The Seven Sisters became what, the Four Friends, but the USSR collapsed.

Today it is more mixed. The Russians benefit from the global-warming nonsense but shale production puts the squeeze on them. This time the Chinese can buy the Russian oil and even at a higher than market price if they want to prop them up.

Time will tell what will happen.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
November 28th, 2014 at 6:02:20 PM permalink
I wonder if the Islamic jihad will become so intolerable, so toxic, that the West, Russia, and China join forces to smite them once and for all, destroying Islam?
"What, me worry?"
teddys
teddys 
  • Threads: 150
November 28th, 2014 at 9:48:03 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

New fella on my crew ( been working with us for two months) flew home last Thursday to pick up the wife and kids and bring them to Canada.... now that he has his papers for living in Canada he finally could do this. His wife and two kids plus his brothers wife and child will all be aboard a flight out of Ukraine on Saturday. He set this up all within a few weeks of getting those official papers. Gives us a pretty good idea how bad things really are there.

Are y'all still gonna have jobs on Monday? :(
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
November 29th, 2014 at 1:51:07 AM permalink
I could easily be wrong, but I don't see China paying artificially inflated prices just to prop up the Russian economy. They have a long history of enmity between their countries, with their long mutual border, and clashing economies and ideologies for the last 70 years (at least). With Putin as contrary and activist as he is, he can only be exacerbating their political situation, and China would see it to their advantage for Russia to weaken. China has the resources and will to demand and receive the best pricing in the world on oil; nearly every nation is a debtor to them at this point.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 29th, 2014 at 4:41:47 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I could easily be wrong, but I don't see China paying artificially inflated prices just to prop up the Russian economy. They have a long history of enmity between their countries, with their long mutual border, and clashing economies and ideologies for the last 70 years (at least). With Putin as contrary and activist as he is, he can only be exacerbating their political situation, and China would see it to their advantage for Russia to weaken. China has the resources and will to demand and receive the best pricing in the world on oil; nearly every nation is a debtor to them at this point.

I have to disagree. If Russia collapses then China has an unstable, nuclear neighbor. With a weakened and dependent Russia China gets a nation that is a thorn in the side of the USA and Europe.

As to resources, China is not greatly blessed. They import lots of raw materials, a reason they need Russia--as a supply source. They are not going to get any better a price on oil than any other nation as oil is a world market. Also not so sure about "nearly every nation is a debtor to them at this point" either:

2011 China Trade Figures

Exports to Imports from Total Trade Balance
European Union 356.0 211.2 567.2 +144.8
United States 324.5 122.2 446.7 +202.3
Hong Kong 268.0 15.5 283.5 +252.5
ASEAN 170.1 192.8 362.9 -22.7
Japan 148.3 194.6 342.9 -46.3
South Korea 82.9 162.7 245.6 -79.8
Brazil 31.8 52.4 84.2 -20.6
India 50.5 23.4 73.9 +27.1
Russia 38.9 40.3 79.2 -1.4
Taiwan 35.1 124.9 160.0 -89.8

Hong Kong can be dismissed as it is internal trade. China has a trade surplus, but mostly against the USA and Europe. She needs Russia as a supplier. What is not shown on the chart is that China is still mostly a supplier of cheap junk sold at near cost. That does not create wealth.
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 43
November 29th, 2014 at 5:08:22 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I wonder if the Islamic jihad will become so intolerable, so toxic, that the West, Russia, and China join forces to smite them once and for all, destroying Islam?

Destroying Islam? There are extremists in all religions, not just in Islam.

But I do not agree with tagging the whole religion, nation etc as being radical or terrorist. Islam, like any other religion, preaches peace and love for your fellow man.
But, the way the Quran ( or the Bible for that matter ) is being interpreted by some radical elements is the problem here.
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 29th, 2014 at 5:19:08 AM permalink
Quote: Zuga

Destroying Islam? There are extremists in all religions, not just in Islam.

But I do not agree with tagging the whole religion, nation etc as being radical or terrorist. Islam, like any other religion, preaches peace and love for your fellow man.

Islam has no history of peace and love from anything I have seen. Unless your idea of peace and love is to tell people with no religion that they must follow or die, and those of other religions that they must convert or pay 50% of everything they own as a tax. Bring a Bible to Saudi Arabia and see what happens to you. Fly an airplane through Israeli airspace then have mechanical issues and see if a muslim country lets you land in an emergency (HINT: they will let you crash before they let you land.)

Sorry, sir, I see no peace or love for your fellow man from Islam.
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 43
November 29th, 2014 at 7:36:56 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Sorry, sir, I see no peace or love for your fellow man from Islam.

So what you are saying is that 2.8 million American muslims are radicals, terrorists and dont care much for their fellow Americans?
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
November 29th, 2014 at 7:47:28 AM permalink
One only needs to look to the founder of a religion to see how its scriptures should be interpreted. A non violent muslim is not a good muslim.
100% risk of ruin

• Jump to: