AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 30th, 2014 at 2:48:55 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Also the part about not landing, it appears I can book a direct flight from Israel to Jeddah;
http://destinia.co.uk/v/ll48654-51477-flights-from-jerusalem-to-jeddah

You might want to check your link as I tried it several time and no results were found. You might also want to explain what you will do when you get off the flight as Saudi Arabia will deny entrance to anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport.

Saudi Arabia will not even allow Israelis to make a connection!

As a guess you googled "flights from Israel to Saudi Arabia" and got results. As did I, it seems that the google search fills in two "dummy" destinations for various airports.

As to churches, from wikipedia:

"Saudi Arabia allows Roman Catholics and Christians of other denominations to enter the country as foreign workers for temporary work, but does not allow them to practise their faith openly, and as a result Roman Catholics and Christians of other denominations generally only worship in secret within private homes.[1] Items and articles belonging to religions other than Islam are prohibited.[2] These include Bibles, crucifixes, statues, carvings, items with religious symbols, and others, although the Government's stated policy was that such items were allowed for private religious purposes."

Also from wikipedia:

"In the public employment sphere, by the end of 2002, 6.1% of 56,362 Israeli civil servants were Arab.[129] In January 2004, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon declared that every state-run company must have at least one Arab citizen of Israel on its board of directors."

You can post all the links of "exceptions" that you like. I have seen and read far wider than your sources for a number of years and know what I see. Namely intolerance, violence, demand for sharia law (wait until those who hate Christians for supposedly being "anti-gay" get the details here!), and general instability.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
November 30th, 2014 at 3:41:33 PM permalink
Bill Maher nails it in this interview.

He has since been has been branded a bigot and a racist.

"Why Islam is more violent than Christianity'

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 30th, 2014 at 3:55:49 PM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Bill Maher nails it in this interview.

He has since been has been branded a bigot and a racist.

"Why Islam is more violent than Christianity'

I do not like his politics but man that was good. Bill seems to realize many liberals defend islam because they hate Christianity and are taking the approach of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" without opening their eyes as to what is going on.
Twirdman
Twirdman
November 30th, 2014 at 3:56:58 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

You might want to check your link as I tried it several time and no results were found. You might also want to explain what you will do when you get off the flight as Saudi Arabia will deny entrance to anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport.

As a guess you googled "flights from Israel to Saudi Arabia" and got results. As did I, it seems that the google search fills in two "dummy" destinations for various airports.

As to churches, from wikipedia:

"Saudi Arabia allows Roman Catholics and Christians of other denominations to enter the country as foreign workers for temporary work, but does not allow them to practise their faith openly, and as a result Roman Catholics and Christians of other denominations generally only worship in secret within private homes.[1] Items and articles belonging to religions other than Islam are prohibited.[2] These include Bibles, crucifixes, statues, carvings, items with religious symbols, and others, although the Government's stated policy was that such items were allowed for private religious purposes."

Also from wikipedia:

"In the public employment sphere, by the end of 2002, 6.1% of 56,362 Israeli civil servants were Arab.[129] In January 2004, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon declared that every state-run company must have at least one Arab citizen of Israel on its board of directors."

You can post all the links of "exceptions" that you like. I have seen and read far wider than your sources for a number of years and know what I see. Namely intolerance, violence, demand for sharia law (wait until those who hate Christians for supposedly being "anti-gay" get the details here!), and general instability.

You seem really focused on Saudi Arabia which for the most part is fairly extremist but you are using this to say all Muslim nations are like this when again I pointed out that the top 3 nations do have religious freedom. Much of the Middle East is severely messed up and this is basically only Muslim nations but there are plenty of Muslim nations outside of the middle east that are fairly secular and have religious freedom.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 30th, 2014 at 4:09:02 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

You seem really focused on Saudi Arabia which for the most part is fairly extremist but you are using this to say all Muslim nations are like this when again I pointed out that the top 3 nations do have religious freedom. Much of the Middle East is severely messed up and this is basically only Muslim nations but there are plenty of Muslim nations outside of the middle east that are fairly secular and have religious freedom.

Saudi Arabia is the spiritual center of islam. Iran is the first nation to have a modern islamic revolution. Pakistan is a large muslim nation at permanent near-war with its non-muslim neighbor. Afghanistan had prohibitions on flying kites, physically punished men for beards too short, and had people burying TV sets to avoid punishment. In Paris non-muslims dare not enter muslim neighboorhoods. In Britian muslims demand alcohol not be served at restaurants *at all!*

This keeps going on and on. Deny anything you want, I see the entire thing for what it is and will keep pointing out the truth by showing what is really happening.

I met a author who had to have armed protection because muslims had a hit ordered on her because she dared write about her experiences in Lebanon as a non-muslim.

I met kids who were in church and saw the Priest killed because muslims came in and demanded he convert on the spot or else. They got away and had to walk across the desert, sometimes drinking urine to survive.

I'm not buying what you are trying to sell, ever.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 30th, 2014 at 4:49:28 PM permalink

You might want to check your link as I tried it several time and no results were found. You might also want to explain

Twice I have posted lengthy responses, twice my internet link crashed, I may have to let this go?
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
November 30th, 2014 at 4:54:14 PM permalink
Israel's high tech industry is known worldwide. Palestians on the other hand only chant "death to Israel !" Negotiating with these people is waste of time. The Soviet Union forced citizens of it's Middle Eastern republics to schools. They became scientists writers and movie makers. West should let Israel to occupy Arab neighboring countries and turn their people into civilized members of the world community.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 30th, 2014 at 5:26:34 PM permalink

Pakistan is a large muslim nation at permanent near-war with its non-muslim neighbor.

Yeah but... (our wars are only good wars as defined by us though)

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
richbailey86
richbailey86
  • Threads: 38
November 30th, 2014 at 5:40:46 PM permalink
25% of world's muslims are extremist and hate non muslims. yes, not all muslims are bad. but no other religion today has such a high extremist margin (25% is millions) and have armies marching the middle east beheading non muslims

wake up, its the worst religion on this planet because such a high number of followers harm

but, not all are bad. but that does not seem to matter does it
An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government. – Ron Paul
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 30th, 2014 at 5:41:11 PM permalink

Quote:

Yes, I googled it and posted while watching two football games at the same time. I will plead guilty [temporarily] of posting a non working link

So, I felt obligated to check your link: quote " The director general of Saudi Arabian Airlines on Friday defended his company’s decision" it is no surprise to me that the Saud's and the Israeli's have some disagreement. I noticed the source labels itself Arutz Sheva not sure what that means but it is something about everything non jewish, iirc?

The article says:"The director general of Saudi Arabian Airlines on Friday defended his company’s decision" You have many times supported a company's right to refuse business with whoever they choose.

The article continues:"The airline’s director general, Khalid al-Melhem, explained the discrimination policy by noting there is no political relationship between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Israel.

“If there is an absence of political relations between [Saudi Arabia] and any other country, we will not allow that country’s citizens into the kingdom,”

That is curious if this is considered:http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-17/israel-working-saudi-arabia-iran-contingency-attack
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 30th, 2014 at 6:07:12 PM permalink

Quote:

Also from wikipedia:

Did the source happen to claim the Arabs were Muslim, or just run of the mill ethnic arabs but Jewish? Hard to fathom Netanyahoo giving the keys to the kingdom to Muslims?

A lot of the menial labor in Israel is performed by Palestinians who are predominantly Muslim.

Quote:

You can post all the links of "exceptions" that you like. I have seen and read far wider than your sources for a number of years

I have no doubt of that, I hardly spent hours and days looking for links, but if you promise to read them, I will find some.

Quote:

wait until those who hate Christians for supposedly being "anti-gay" get the details here

I don't know what you mean? I know the Israeli's are often pro-homosexual, but anti-black, Ethiopian. http://truthtellers.org/alerts/IsraelAdmitsBirthControlonBlackJews.html
Twirdman
Twirdman
November 30th, 2014 at 6:58:01 PM permalink

Saudi Arabia is the spiritual center of islam. Iran is the first nation to have a modern islamic revolution. Pakistan is a large muslim nation at permanent near-war with its non-muslim neighbor. Afghanistan had prohibitions on flying kites, physically punished men for beards too short, and had people burying TV sets to avoid punishment. In Paris non-muslims dare not enter muslim neighboorhoods. In Britian muslims demand alcohol not be served at restaurants *at all!*

This keeps going on and on. Deny anything you want, I see the entire thing for what it is and will keep pointing out the truth by showing what is really happening.

I met a author who had to have armed protection because muslims had a hit ordered on her because she dared write about her experiences in Lebanon as a non-muslim.

I met kids who were in church and saw the Priest killed because muslims came in and demanded he convert on the spot or else. They got away and had to walk across the desert, sometimes drinking urine to survive.

I'm not buying what you are trying to sell, ever.

Yeah so by your reasoning during the Cold war you had a Christian nation as you claim at near war with a non-Christian nation namely the Soviet Union so clearly Christian nations are all super evil never mind the nuances in both of those.

Also about Britain and their Muslims how about Christians in the US who demand abstinence only be taught in school or who try to ban abortion or contraception plenty of those cases in the US. US also has problems with some of the insular orthodox Jewish population.

As for killings you have multitudes of abortion clinic bombers guy who killed Tiller amongst others.

Priest being killed looking at some of the atrocities commited by the Lord's Resistance Army. But of course its only Muslims who are the bad guys and every Muslim nation is evil even though there are plenty that are secular democracies with plenty of religious freedom like Indonesia.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 30th, 2014 at 9:35:43 PM permalink

So yes there are clearly many Muslim nations which have religious freedom. As was pointed out by Reza Aslan Muslim nations are incredibly varied and you cannot lump them all together.

It sure seems as if all of them are definitively anti-Semitic:
"The Jewish exodus from Arab and Muslim countries or Jewish exodus from Arab countries (Hebrew: יציאת יהודים ממדינות ערב‎, Yetziat yehudim mi-medinot Arav; Arabic: هجرة اليهود من الدول العربية والإسلامية‎ hijrat al-yahūd min ad-duwal al-ʻArabīyah wal-Islāmīyah) was the departure, flight, migration and expulsion of 800,000–1,000,000 Jews, primarily of Sephardi and Mizrahi background, from Arab and Muslim countries, mainly from 1948 onwards.

A small-scale exodus had begun in many countries in the early decades of the 20th century, although the only substantial aliyah came from Yemen and Syria.[1] Prior to the creation of Israel in 1948, approximately 800,000 Jews were living in lands which now make up the Arab world (excluding Israel). Of these, just under two-thirds lived in the French-controlled Maghreb region, 15–20% in the Kingdom of Iraq, approximately 10% in the Kingdom of Egypt and approximately 7% in the Kingdom of Yemen. A further 200,000 lived in Pahlavi Iran and the Republic of Turkey. Today, around 26,000 Jews live in Arab countries[2] and 26,000 in Turkey.[3]

The first large-scale exoduses took place in the late 1940s and early 1950s, primarily in Iraq, Yemen and Libya, with up to 90% of these communities leaving within a few years. The peak of the exodus from Egypt occurred in 1956. The exodus in the Maghreb countries peaked in the 1960s. Lebanon was the only Arab country to see a temporary increase in its Jewish population during this period, due to an influx of Jews from other Arab countries, although by the mid-1970s the Jewish community of Lebanon had also dwindled. In the aftermath of the exodus wave from Arab states, an additional migration of Iranian Jews peaked in the 1980s when around 80% of Iranian Jews left the country.

260,000 Jews from Arab countries had immigrated to Israel between 1948 and 1951, amounting for 56% of the total immigration to the newly founded state.[4] 600,000 Jews from Arab and Muslim countries had reached Israel by 1972.[5][6][7][8]" wikipedia
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 30th, 2014 at 10:08:38 PM permalink
FWIW:

Semitic definition: a subfamily of Afroasiatic languages that includes Akkadian, Arabic, Aramaic, Ethiopic, Hebrew, and Phoenician.

Semite:
1. a member of any of various ancient and modern peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.
2. a Jew.
3. a member of any of the peoples descended from Shem, the eldest son of Noah.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
November 30th, 2014 at 10:13:01 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

FWIW: Semitic definition: a subfamily of Afroasiatic languages that includes Akkadian, Arabic, Aramaic, Ethiopic, Hebrew, and Phoenician. Semite:
1. a member of any of various ancient and modern peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.
2. a Jew.

Not knowing the source or applicability of that statement, the prior usage was based on common American usage:

"Full Definition of ANTI-SEMITISM
: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group
— an·ti–Se·mit·ic adjective " Merriam-Webster
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 30th, 2014 at 10:25:31 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

FWIW: Semitic definition: a subfamily of Afroasiatic languages that includes Akkadian, Arabic, Aramaic, Ethiopic, Hebrew, and Phoenician. Semite:
2. a Jew.

Not knowing the source or applicability of that statement, the prior usage was based on common American usage:

: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

Sorry, meant to quote the source but got a hot PM. WooHoo!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/semite

Once there, also see semitic.

My post was intended to note the irony that the conversation is currently about Middle Eastern muslims (many/most Arabs) being anti-Semitic. Has always reminded me of the Dr. Seuss book The Sneeches
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
November 30th, 2014 at 10:33:57 PM permalink
Pokemon is illegal in Saudi Arabia, and many other Middle Eastern countries based on the head cleric saying "it promotes Zionism and gambling". I think that sums up a lot.

Christians in America say a lot of stupid stuff, but they don't have direct control over our lives.
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 30th, 2014 at 10:36:49 PM permalink

2. a Jew.

So since this has turned into an Islamaphobe thread, can I ask if you consider Jews a race of people?

I think using the term anti-semitic so often synonymously with Jewish religious people, we do a disservice to actual descendants of semitic people. Also to the Jewish faith. If someone is anti-jewish or wishes to describe that trait, why can't we just use the proper words? If we want to use semite, I have always thought it described and olive skinned people as the ancient Cannnanites or Hebrew, which is a race. To me Judaism is a religious belief, and Semite is a race, however in this pc world to even speak this is pc incorrect and is met with scorn.

So above where you quote #2, a Jew. Does that mean to you that Blacks are also Semites ala Sammy Davis? Are there any Asian Jews? Are they Semite?
Gandler
Gandler
November 30th, 2014 at 10:37:11 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I find this graphic a little suspect. I would be curious to see a breakdown in years as to what wars when. Only 21 years without war? Now I'm not fluent in American history, but Im pretty sure that is wrong.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 30th, 2014 at 10:43:15 PM permalink
Petro,

Not sure if you're asking Sancho or me.

Personally, I learned that the Semitic people were a race, typically high-bridged noses, brown eyes, dark hair, olive skin, from Western Asia (didn't know they were considered African as well until I looked at that definition). I'm aware that the term anti-Semite generally refers only to Hebrews in these times, but I don't think I've ever used the term in that way.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 30th, 2014 at 10:50:53 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

I find this graphic a little suspect. I would be curious to see a breakdown in years as to what wars when. Only 21 years without war? Now I'm not fluent in American history, but Im pretty sure that is wrong.

I would guess it depends on what you call war. Some things were police actions, like Korea. Some things perhaps they're including peace-keeping in other countries, like Germany after WWII. Or perhaps including the Cold War, Bay of Pigs, retaliation on Beirut for the Marine Barracks bombing, a hundred other actions that fell short of a declared war, but were acts of war. Perhaps ongoing fights between the US Gov't and Native Americans would count as well; those would be good for decades. And I'm guessing they would be including any action during a calendar year, even a single strike on one day, as a year with war. But since I didn't create the graphic, I could easily be wrong.
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 30th, 2014 at 10:54:04 PM permalink

Petro,

Not sure if you're asking Sancho or me.

Personally, I learned that the Semitic people were a race, typically high-bridged noses, brown eyes, dark hair, olive skin. I'm aware that the term anti-Semite generally refers only to Hebrews in these times, but I don't think I've ever used the term in that way.

I thought you nailed it the first [and this] time. I thought Sancho used a def.[Merriams] that included #2, Jew. It seems an impossible task to try and point that out to people who only want to hear "anti-semite" means anti-Jew.

When I hear the term Anti-semite, to me it is the cruelest of irony's. Not to incite flame but as a percentage the Palestinians are a much higher percentage of "semetic" bloodline than Jews.

The thread, which I started was about Sanctions by the West and how it affects Europe, Russia, and the Ukraine. I was originally trying to get Zuga in on it, but somehow it turned into,,,,this?

ps: happy holidays Barbara, thanks for moderating! Your turkey sounded yummy, late but yummy.
Keyser
Keyser
November 30th, 2014 at 11:09:08 PM permalink
Semites are considered to be Caucasian.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 30th, 2014 at 11:43:40 PM permalink
Great gambling/Vegas thread.

Who cares.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 1st, 2014 at 2:39:11 AM permalink

Yeah so by your reasoning during the Cold war you had a Christian nation as you claim at near war with a non-Christian nation namely the Soviet Union so clearly Christian nations are all super evil never mind the nuances in both of those.

The USSR was not a "non-christian nation." While a few of the outer republics had musim majorities the Russian Orthadox majority is Christian. While the Communist government tried to push secularism, to call the place "non christian" would hardly be correct on any level.
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 50
December 1st, 2014 at 4:25:16 AM permalink

The thread, which I started was about Sanctions by the West and how it affects Europe, Russia, and the Ukraine. I was originally trying to get Zuga in on it, but somehow it turned into,,,,this?

Okay so back to the topic shall we then :D

Ukraine crisis only goes to show that it pretty much has nothing to do with Ukraine itself. No one cares about Ukrainian people or "democracy" there, not the USA and West, nor the Russians ( tho one may argue they would care since they are pretty much the same nation ).

This is about NATO ( read USA ) and EU trying to expand to the East, and Russians fighting against it.

So we have two fractions here, one led by the USA ( with their minions in the EU ) always pushing toward East, and then Russia who always had its interest in expanding to the West .

One may also argue that since USA is always defending their national security and protecting its interests outside of the USA borders, that the same right should be given to Russia ( who sees its national interest and security in Ukraine ). Personally I do not agree with any of this...

And also mind that Crimea was Russian province before it was given to Ukraine during the USSR. So again one may argue that the annexation of Crimea is fully legit.

Put all this in perspective along with the fact that USA was/is building that anti-rocket shield in Poland, which Russia sees as another threat and provocation. Imagine Russians placing their anti-rocket shield in Cuba ( again ). How would the USA react now?

The way I see it, no one should claim their right on Ukraine, which should be an independent country. However in this modern age there is no such thing as political, economical, militaristic etc independence ( unless you are a superpower ).
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 1st, 2014 at 9:19:11 AM permalink
Quote: Zuga

Ukraine crisis only goes to show that it pretty much has nothing to do with Ukraine itself. No one cares about Ukrainian people or "democracy" there, not the USA and West, nor the Russians ( tho one may argue they would care since they are pretty much the same nation ).

This is about NATO ( read USA ) and EU trying to expand to the East, and Russians fighting against it.

Correct for the most part, it is also about Ukraine should get to decide which side she wants to throw in with. Ukraine is unusual that it is nearly indefensible in and of itself but is both the Russian key to Europe and the Western key to Russia. Whoever controls western Eurasia is going to be able to control the Eastern Hemisphere. If Ukraine gets integrated into NATO then the Russians must accept that they will never be able to exert much influence in Western Europe. Russia has never been successfully invaded from the west, only the east. And in every case their defense was their depth. Let the enemy outrun their supplies in summer/fall then let them freeze to death in winter. Then counter. But if the invading force is hundreds of miles further east, well that plan is out the window as Moscow/St Petersburg will fall before the enemy starts to freeze.

Quote:

Put all this in perspective along with the fact that USA was/is building that anti-rocket shield in Poland, which Russia sees as another threat and provocation. Imagine Russians placing their anti-rocket shield in Cuba ( again ). How would the USA react now?

The way I see it, no one should claim their right on Ukraine, which should be an independent country. However in this modern age there is no such thing as political, economical, militaristic etc independence ( unless you are a superpower ).

Russia sees anything as a threat. Work on the shield stopped because we elected a leader who would rather be liked than feared. I would like Ukraine to be independent, but it will not last as geography and geopolitics prevent it. Always has and always will. We made a mistake in not expanding NATO there in the 1990s when Russia was on her back.
rxwine
rxwine
December 1st, 2014 at 11:08:04 AM permalink
If anyone wants to debate it, have at it.

I would be curious to see a breakdown in years .

Quote:

1776 – American Revolutionary War, Chickamagua Wars, Second Cherokee War, Pennamite-Yankee War

1777 – American Revolutionary War, Chickamauga Wars, Second Cherokee War, Pennamite-Yankee War

1778 – American Revolutionary War, Chickamauga Wars, Pennamite-Yankee War

1779 – American Revolutionary War, Chickamauga Wars, Pennamite-Yankee War

1780 – American Revolutionary War, Chickamauga Wars, Pennamite-Yankee War

1781 – American Revolutionary War, Chickamauga Wars, Pennamite-Yankee War

1782 – American Revolutionary War, Chickamauga Wars, Pennamite-Yankee War

1783 – American Revolutionary War, Chickamauga Wars, Pennamite-Yankee War

1784 – Chickamauga Wars, Pennamite-Yankee War, Oconee War

1785 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1786 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1787 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1788 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1789 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1790 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1791 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1792 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1793 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1794 – Chickamauga Wars, Northwest Indian War

1795 – Northwest Indian War

1796 – No major war

1797 – No major war

1798 – Quasi-War

1799 – Quasi-War

1800 – Quasi-War

1801 – First Barbary War

1802 – First Barbary War

1803 – First Barbary War

1804 – First Barbary War

1805 – First Barbary War

1806 – Sabine Expedition

1807 – No major war

1808 – No major war

1809 – No major war

1810 – U.S. occupies Spanish-held West Florida

1811 – Tecumseh’s War

1812 – War of 1812, Tecumseh’s War, Seminole Wars, U.S. occupies Spanish-held Amelia Island and other parts of East Florida

1813 – War of 1812, Tecumseh’s War, Peoria War, Creek War, U.S. expands its territory in West Florida

1814 – War of 1812, Creek War, U.S. expands its territory in Florida, Anti-piracy war

1815 – War of 1812, Second Barbary War, Anti-piracy war

1816 – First Seminole War, Anti-piracy war

1817 – First Seminole War, Anti-piracy war

1818 – First Seminole War, Anti-piracy war

1819 – Yellowstone Expedition, Anti-piracy war

1820 – Yellowstone Expedition, Anti-piracy war

1821 – Anti-piracy war (see note above)

1822 – Anti-piracy war (see note above)

1823 – Anti-piracy war, Arikara War

1824 – Anti-piracy war

1825 – Yellowstone Expedition, Anti-piracy war

1826 – No major war

1827 – Winnebago War

1828 – No major war

1829 – No major war

1830 – No major war

1831 – Sac and Fox Indian War

1832 – Black Hawk War

1833 – Cherokee Indian War

1834 – Cherokee Indian War, Pawnee Indian Territory Campaign

1835 – Cherokee Indian War, Seminole Wars, Second Creek War

1836 – Cherokee Indian War, Seminole Wars, Second Creek War, Missouri-Iowa Border War

1837 – Cherokee Indian War, Seminole Wars, Second Creek War, Osage Indian War, Buckshot War

1838 – Cherokee Indian War, Seminole Wars, Buckshot War, Heatherly Indian War

1839 – Cherokee Indian War, Seminole Wars

1840 – Seminole Wars, U.S. naval forces invade Fiji Islands

1841 – Seminole Wars, U.S. naval forces invade McKean Island, Gilbert Islands, and Samoa

1842 – Seminole Wars

1843 – U.S. forces clash with Chinese, U.S. troops invade African coast

1844 – Texas-Indian Wars

1845 – Texas-Indian Wars

1846 – Mexican-American War, Texas-Indian Wars

1847 – Mexican-American War, Texas-Indian Wars

1848 – Mexican-American War, Texas-Indian Wars, Cayuse War

1849 – Texas-Indian Wars, Cayuse War, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians

1850 – Texas-Indian Wars, Cayuse War, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Yuma War, California Indian Wars, Pitt River Expedition

1851 – Texas-Indian Wars, Cayuse War, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, Yuma War, Utah Indian Wars, California Indian Wars

1852 – Texas-Indian Wars, Cayuse War, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Yuma War, Utah Indian Wars, California Indian Wars

1853 – Texas-Indian Wars, Cayuse War, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Yuma War, Utah Indian Wars, Walker War, California Indian Wars

1854 – Texas-Indian Wars, Cayuse War, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians

1855 – Seminole Wars, Texas-Indian Wars, Cayuse War, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Yakima War, Winnas Expedition, Klickitat War, Puget Sound War, Rogue River Wars, U.S. forces invade Fiji Islands and Uruguay

1856 – Seminole Wars, Texas-Indian Wars, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, California Indian Wars, Puget Sound War, Rogue River Wars, Tintic War

1857 – Seminole Wars, Texas-Indian Wars, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, California Indian Wars, Utah War, Conflict in Nicaragua

1858 – Seminole Wars, Texas-Indian Wars, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Mohave War, California Indian Wars, Spokane-Coeur d’Alene-Paloos War, Utah War, U.S. forces invade Fiji Islands and Uruguay

1859 Texas-Indian Wars, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, California Indian Wars, Pecos Expedition, Antelope Hills Expedition, Bear River Expedition, John Brown’s raid, U.S. forces launch attack against Paraguay, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1860 – Texas-Indian Wars, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Paiute War, Kiowa-Comanche War

1861 – American Civil War, Texas-Indian Wars, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Cheyenne Campaign

1862 – American Civil War, Texas-Indian Wars, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Cheyenne Campaign, Dakota War of 1862,

1863 – American Civil War, Texas-Indian Wars, Southwest Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Cheyenne Campaign, Colorado War, Goshute War

1864 – American Civil War, Texas-Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Cheyenne Campaign, Colorado War, Snake War

1865 – American Civil War, Texas-Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Colorado War, Snake War, Utah’s Black Hawk War

1866 – Texas-Indian Wars, Navajo Wars, Apache Wars, California Indian Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians, Snake War, Utah’s Black Hawk War, Red Cloud’s War, Franklin County War, U.S. invades Mexico, Conflict with China

1867 – Texas-Indian Wars, Long Walk of the Navajo, Apache Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians, Snake War, Utah’s Black Hawk War, Red Cloud’s War, Comanche Wars, Franklin County War, U.S. troops occupy Nicaragua and attack Taiwan

1868 – Texas-Indian Wars, Long Walk of the Navajo, Apache Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians, Snake War, Utah’s Black Hawk War, Red Cloud’s War, Comanche Wars, Battle of Washita River, Franklin County War

1869 – Texas-Indian Wars, Apache Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians, Utah’s Black Hawk War, Comanche Wars, Franklin County War

1870 – Texas-Indian Wars, Apache Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians, Utah’s Black Hawk War, Comanche Wars, Franklin County War

1871 – Texas-Indian Wars, Apache Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians, Utah’s Black Hawk War, Comanche Wars, Franklin County War, Kingsley Cave Massacre, U.S. forces invade Korea

1872 – Texas-Indian Wars, Apache Wars, Utah’s Black Hawk War, Comanche Wars, Modoc War, Franklin County War

1873 – Texas-Indian Wars, Comanche Wars, Modoc War, Apache Wars, Cypress Hills Massacre, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1874 – Texas-Indian Wars, Comanche Wars, Red River War, Mason County War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1875 – Conflict in Mexico, Texas-Indian Wars, Comanche Wars, Eastern Nevada, Mason County War, Colfax County War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1876 – Texas-Indian Wars, Black Hills War, Mason County War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1877 – Texas-Indian Wars, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians, Black Hills War, Nez Perce War, Mason County War, Lincoln County War, San Elizario Salt War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1878 – Paiute Indian conflict, Bannock War, Cheyenne War, Lincoln County War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1879 – Cheyenne War, Sheepeater Indian War, White River War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1880 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1881 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1882 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1883 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1884 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1885 – Apache Wars, Eastern Nevada Expedition, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1886 – Apache Wars, Pleasant Valley War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1887 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1888 – U.S. show of force against Haiti, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1889 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1890 – Sioux Indian War, Skirmish between 1st Cavalry and Indians, Ghost Dance War, Wounded Knee, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1891 – Sioux Indian War, Ghost Dance War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1892 – Johnson County War, U.S. forces invade Mexico

1893 – U.S. forces invade Mexico and Hawaii

1894 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1895 – U.S. forces invade Mexico, Bannock Indian Disturbances

1896 – U.S. forces invade Mexico

1897 – No major war

1898 – Spanish-American War, Battle of Leech Lake, Chippewa Indian Disturbances

1899 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1900 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1901 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1902 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1903 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1904 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1905 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1906 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1907 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1908 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1909 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1910 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1911 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1912 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars

1913 – Philippine-American War, Banana Wars, New Mexico Navajo War

1914 – Banana Wars, U.S. invades Mexico

1915 – Banana Wars, U.S. invades Mexico, Colorado Paiute War

1916 – Banana Wars, U.S. invades Mexico

1917 – Banana Wars, World War I, U.S. invades Mexico

1918 – Banana Wars, World War I, U.S invades Mexico

1919 – Banana Wars, U.S. invades Mexico

1920 – Banana Wars

1921 – Banana Wars

1922 – Banana Wars

1923 – Banana Wars, Posey War

1924 – Banana Wars

1925 – Banana Wars

1926 – Banana Wars

1927 – Banana Wars

1928 – Banana Wars

1930 – Banana Wars

1931 – Banana Wars

1932 – Banana Wars

1933 – Banana Wars

1934 – Banana Wars

1935 – No major war

1936 – No major war

1937 – No major war

1938 – No major war

1939 – No major war

1940 – No major war

1941 – World War II

1942 – World War II

1943 – Wold War II

1944 – World War II

1945 – World War II

1946 – Cold War (U.S. occupies the Philippines and South Korea)

1947 – Cold War (U.S. occupies South Korea, U.S. forces land in Greece to fight Communists)

1948 – Cold War (U.S. forces aid Chinese Nationalist Party against Communists)

1949 – Cold War (U.S. forces aid Chinese Nationalist Party against Communists)

1950 – Korean War, Jayuga Uprising

1951 – Korean War

1952 – Korean War

1953 – Korean War

1954 – Covert War in Guatemala

1955 – Vietnam War

1956 – Vietnam War

1957 – Vietnam War

1958 – Vietnam War

1959 – Vietnam War, Conflict in Haiti

1960 – Vietam War

1961 – Vietnam War

1962 – Vietnam War, Cold War (Cuban Missile Crisis; U.S. marines fight Communists in Thailand)

1963 – Vietnam War

1964 – Vietnam War

1965 – Vietnam War, U.S. occupation of Dominican Republic

1966 – Vietnam War, U.S. occupation of Dominican Republic

1967 – Vietnam War

1968 – Vietnam War

1969 – Vietnam War

1970 – Vietnam War

1971 – Vietnam War

1972 – Vietnam War

1973 – Vietnam War, U.S. aids Israel in Yom Kippur War

1974 – Vietnam War

1975 – Vietnam War

1976 – No major war

1977 – No major war

1978 – No major war

1979 – Cold War (CIA proxy war in Afghanistan)

1980 – Cold War (CIA proxy war in Afghanistan)

1981 – Cold War (CIA proxy war in Afghanistan and Nicaragua), First Gulf of Sidra Incident

1982 – Cold War (CIA proxy war in Afghanistan and Nicaragua), Conflict in Lebanon

1983 – Cold War (Invasion of Grenada, CIA proxy war in Afghanistan and Nicaragua), Conflict in Lebanon

1984 – Cold War (CIA proxy war in Afghanistan and Nicaragua), Conflict in Persian Gulf

1985 – Cold War (CIA proxy war in Afghanistan and Nicaragua)

1986 – Cold War (CIA proxy war in Afghanistan and Nicaragua)

1987 – Conflict in Persian Gulf

1988 – Conflict in Persian Gulf, U.S. occupation of Panama

1989 – Second Gulf of Sidra Incident, U.S. occupation of Panama, Conflict in Philippines

1990 – First Gulf War, U.S. occupation of Panama

1991 – First Gulf War

1992 – Conflict in Iraq

1993 – Conflict in Iraq

1994 – Conflict in Iraq, U.S. invades Haiti

1995 – Conflict in Iraq, U.S. invades Haiti, NATO bombing of Bosnia and Herzegovina

1996 – Conflict in Iraq

1997 – No major war

1998 – Bombing of Iraq, Missile strikes against Afghanistan and Sudan

1999 – Kosovo War

2000 – No major war

2001 – War on Terror in Afghanistan

2002 – War on Terror in Afghanistan and Yemen

2003 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, and Iraq

2004 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2005 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2006 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2007 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, and Yemen

2008 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2009 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2010 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2011 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, and Yemen; Conflict in Libya (Libyan Civil War)

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/12/we-re-at-war-and-we-have-been-since-1776/

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 1st, 2014 at 11:34:01 AM permalink
Good list rxwine. It only appears that there is only one war per year in the list that we are engage in. The world wars would certainly include global conflict, in 2-3 theaters per war. This list although also incomplete, lists wars through 2014. For your perusal,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations

I realize your list was a list of the years we were in conflict, It seems to me if it were to include the lead up to "war" and the mop up operations as in the occupation of Japan following ww2, the 26 years we had off, were just time to prepare and rearm. As no one wants nuclear war [it would destroy too much real estate,permanently] the Military Industrial Complex and the tbtf banks, will settle for now for a constant state of armed conflict, financed with debt. I believe it was Huxley who said "the only thing a people can create that is of absolutely no use to anyone is bombs" he wasn't aware of the designs of the mic at the time.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 1st, 2014 at 12:11:06 PM permalink
Fedor, a Ukrainian talks about war in Ukraine, 2minutes

http://youtu.be/ybx1DQZKTSw
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
December 1st, 2014 at 1:24:14 PM permalink

I realize your list was a list of the years we were in conflict, It seems to me if it were to include the lead up to "war" and the mop up operations as in the occupation of Japan following ww2, the 26 years we had off, were just time to prepare and rearm.

To say the U.S. was at war in Vietnam in 1960 is a significant misstatement. As is the action is Guatemala in 1954. If recent history that many of us have lived through first-hand can be so easily re-classified as "war," that casts serious doubts on more obscure details from more distant times.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
December 1st, 2014 at 1:32:45 PM permalink

I thought Sancho used a def.[Merriams] that included #2, Jew. It seems an impossible task to try and point that out to people who only want to hear "anti-semite" means anti-Jew.

If there is a problem with the semantics, take it up with the lexicographers.

When I hear the term Anti-semite, to me it is the cruelest of irony's. Not to incite flame but as a percentage the Palestinians are a much higher percentage of "semetic" bloodline than Jews.

Anthropologists, paleontologists, sociologists and other assorted social science "experts" have long discussed this. Meanwhile, the standard American usage remains restricted to the single total definition posted here. Despite the etymology of the phrase and despite the effort to deflect attention from the list of incidents that challenged the sweeping assertion about religious intolerance in Indonesia.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 1st, 2014 at 1:33:52 PM permalink

To say the U.S. was at war in Vietnam in 1960 is a significant misstatement.

The list is bogus. It lists skirmishes and incidents
as 'wars' when they were not. It was compiled by
somebody with an agenda, obviously.

For instance, this accurate list has 13 wars in the
first half of the 19th century. The other list has
50 in the same period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States#19th_century_wars
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
December 1st, 2014 at 1:41:04 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The list is bogus. It lists skirmishes and incidents as 'wars' when they were not. It was compiled by somebody with an agenda, obviously. For instance, this accurate list has 13 wars in the first half of the 19th century. The other list has 50 in the same period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States#19th_century_wars

Anybody who thinks that Texas was in the United States in 1844-45 has not studied elementary fundamental history.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 1st, 2014 at 2:12:14 PM permalink

Anybody who thinks that Texas was in the United States in 1844-45 has not studied elementary fundamental history.

Annexation was drafted in 1844 and went into
effect 1845. Close enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_annexation
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 1st, 2014 at 6:09:10 PM permalink

To say the U.S. was at war in Vietnam in 1960 is a significant misstatement. As is the action is Guatemala in 1954. If recent history that many of us have lived through first-hand can be so easily re-classified as "war," that casts serious doubts on more obscure details from more distant times.

Full Definition of WAR [Mirriams]

a (1) : a state of usually open and declared armed hostile conflict between states or nations (2) : a period of such armed conflict (3) : state of war
b : the art or science of warfare
c (1) obsolete : weapons and equipment for war (2) archaic : soldiers armed and equipped for war
a : a state of hostility, conflict, or antagonism
b : a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end <a class war> <a war against disease>

It is all semantics Sancho. As I am sure you are aware, the US had advisers on the ground in 1950, build up in 61-2, Gulf of Tonkin 1964. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War, was never declared by congress as such so many still say we were never at "war" with North Vietnam. You are also aware that congress did not declare war with Afghanistan, so how do we want to describe the conflict in Afghanistan?

Declarations of war by congress;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war_by_the_United_States from link, the longest war the US has engaged in was the war against the Apache indians from 1840 to 1886.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 1st, 2014 at 6:19:01 PM permalink

I thought Sancho used a def.[Merriams] that included #2, Jew. It seems an impossible task to try and point that out to people who only want to hear "anti-semite" means anti-Jew.

If there is a problem with the semantics, take it up with the lexicographers.
Anthropologists, paleontologists, sociologists and other assorted social science "experts" have long discussed this. Meanwhile, the standard American usage remains restricted to the single total definition posted here. Despite the etymology of the phrase and despite the effort to deflect attention from the list of incidents that challenged the sweeping assertion about religious intolerance in Indonesia.

"If there is a problem with the semantics, take it up with the lexicographers". You can never trust those lexicographers, they have an agenda. lol

" Meanwhile, the standard American usage remains restricted to the single total definition posted here", I agree, I think? As does the standard American usage of the term "war".

My statement to be clear was not "at" you, it was to BBB. My opinion remains, just that, an opinion. I am stuck with, it and honestly, it has done me no favors.
Gandler
Gandler
December 1st, 2014 at 6:44:46 PM permalink

a (1) : a state of usually open and declared armed hostile conflict between states or nations (2) : a period of such armed conflict (3) : state of war
c (1) obsolete : weapons and equipment for war (2) archaic : soldiers armed and equipped for war
b : a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end <a class war> <a war against disease>

It is all semantics Sancho. As I am sure you are aware, the US had advisers on the ground in 1950, build up in 61-2, Gulf of Tonkin 1964. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War, was never declared by congress as such so many still say we were never at "war" with North Vietnam. You are also aware that congress did not declare war with Afghanistan, so how do we want to describe the conflict in Afghanistan?

Declarations of war by congress;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war_by_the_United_States from link, the longest war the US has engaged in was the war against the Apache indians from 1840 to 1886.

By that definition, many of those you listed would not be "wars".

Many were Green Beret-type covert action training/advisor type operations, not actually engagement of an enemy. Or Stabilization efforts. But certainly not "openly declared wars".
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 1st, 2014 at 7:14:24 PM permalink

Many were Green Beret-type covert action training/advisor type operations, not actually engagement of an enemy. Or Stabilization efforts. But certainly not "openly declared wars".

ISRAELI QUOTE:

“To paraphrase Karl von Clausewitz, law is used as the continuation of war by other means.”
Editorial, Jerusalem Post, Dec. 15, 2009

I am not certain which you are referring too? Mostly what I have posted are quotes, usually with a links.

You have previously posted your desire for central government [paraphrased], do you support these hundreds of actions, none of which this central planning will commit themselves to, that they are to cowardly to go on record as having said? These seem to me to be the people you want in charge. Everything, a "police action" without any them having to say one way or the other. Often they defer to the United Nations.

Who do you expect to make an decision about armed conflict? These are the very same non committal stooges that you wish to be in control of law enforcement.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 1st, 2014 at 7:46:38 PM permalink
Quote: Zuga

So we have two fractions here, one led by the USA ( with their minions in the EU ) always pushing toward East, and then Russia who always had its interest in expanding to the West .

One may also argue that since USA is always defending their national security and protecting its interests outside of the USA borders, that the same right should be given to Russia ( who sees its national interest and security in Ukraine ). Personally I do not agree with any of this...

And also mind that Crimea was Russian province before it was given to Ukraine during the USSR. So again one may argue that the annexation of Crimea is fully legit.

http://www.strategic-culture.org/pview/2014/11/17/kissinger-ukraine-should-forget-about-crimea-and-nato-membership.html

"In his opinion, introducing anti-Russian sanctions was a mistake.

"We have to remember that Russia is an important part of the international system, and therefore useful in solving all sorts of other crises, for example in the agreement on nuclear proliferation with Iran or over Syria," Mr. Kissinger said. "This has to have preference over a tactical escalation in a specific case."

I looked for an article which I didn't find about an agreement not to arm Poland made with the USSR. I can see where Russia thinks the west a constant aggressor.

Are the major powers divvying up the worlds resources between them, regardless of resident populations?
Gandler
Gandler
December 1st, 2014 at 8:18:42 PM permalink

ISRAELI QUOTE:

“To paraphrase Karl von Clausewitz, law is used as the continuation of war by other means.”
Editorial, Jerusalem Post, Dec. 15, 2009

I am not certain which you are referring too? Mostly what I have posted are quotes, usually with a links.

You have previously posted your desire for central government [paraphrased], do you support these hundreds of actions, none of which this central planning will commit themselves to, that they are to cowardly to go on record as having said? These seem to me to be the people you want in charge. Everything, a "police action" without any them having to say one way or the other. Often they defer to the United Nations.

Who do you expect to make an decision about armed conflict? These are the very same non committal stooges that you wish to be in control of law enforcement.

I have and I do.

But it would presumably be Homeland Security that would do the regulating, not DOD. And yes, some politicians have made bad choices. But that is a whole separate argument. You can't equate military operations to Police Work. Involving in oversees conflicts is much more hazy and sometimes mistakes are made and then reverted. LE would have a straightforward policy, its not a game of diplomats like foreign involvement is...

I was referring to wars that are not wars by any reasonable definition. And yes many of them I have supported.
Tanko
Tanko
December 1st, 2014 at 9:09:46 PM permalink

If anyone wants to debate it, have at it.

1945 – World War II

1950 – Korean War, Jayuga Uprising

1955 – Vietnam War

1987 – Conflict in Persian Gulf

1991 – First Gulf War

1992 – Conflict in Iraq

2001 – War on Terror in Afghanistan

2002 – War on Terror in Afghanistan and Yemen

2003 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, and Iraq

2004 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2005 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2006 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2007 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, and Yemen

2008 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2009 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2010 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and Yemen

2011 – War on Terror in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, and Yemen; Conflict in Libya (Libyan Civil War)

The US hasn't won a war since 1945.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 1st, 2014 at 9:21:35 PM permalink

No one cares about exhibition games.

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 1st, 2014 at 9:26:47 PM permalink
Hey, you forgot to mention our two kick ass victories in the eighties: Grenada and Panama.
"What, me worry?"
Gandler
Gandler
December 1st, 2014 at 9:28:02 PM permalink

Well if you count all of those as wars then we have. We accomplished our objective in Korea (and still have a large presence helping South Korea keep border security). We won Libya (based on Obama's objectives). We won Desert Storm. We accomplished our main objective in the more recent Iraq war. And progress has been made in Afganistan.

The only war that could be argued to be a total failure is Vietnam.
rxwine
rxwine
December 1st, 2014 at 9:37:07 PM permalink

Well if you count all of those as wars then we have. We accomplished our objective in Korea (and still have a large presence helping South Korea keep border security). We won Libya (based on Obama's objectives). We won Desert Storm. We accomplished our main objective in the more recent Iraq war. And progress has been made in Afganistan.

Oddly enough that failure looks like the most successful of the bunch right now. I'm going to argue that Kim in N. Korea is not such a great success.

http://www.expatinfodesk.com/expat-guide/deciding-on-the-right-country/top-expatriate-destinations/vietnam/
Gandler
Gandler
December 1st, 2014 at 9:41:22 PM permalink

Oddly enough that failure looks like the most successful of the bunch right now. I'm going to argue that Kim in N. Korea is not such a great success.

http://www.expatinfodesk.com/expat-guide/deciding-on-the-right-country/top-expatriate-destinations/vietnam/

It was. We prevented them from spreading into South Korea. Our goal was not to "take out" N. Korea, just to defend South Korea.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 1st, 2014 at 9:41:39 PM permalink

Quote:

Vietnam "accomplished" the exact same thing as what you consider "successful" wars, exactly.
petroglyph
petroglyph
December 1st, 2014 at 9:48:03 PM permalink
Back OT,

Tensions Between the U.S. and Russia Are Worse Than You Realize – Remarks by Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov

http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2014/12/01/tensions-between-the-u-s-and-russia-are-worse-than-you-realize-remarks-by-foreign-minister-sergey-lavrov/
Gandler
Gandler
December 1st, 2014 at 10:10:36 PM permalink

Vietnam "accomplished" the exact same thing as what you consider "successful" wars, exactly.

South Korea exists.

South Vietnam does not exist. Hence a failure. North Vietnam overtook South Vietnam, hence we failed our goal.
  • Jump to: