DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 26
October 20th, 2014 at 5:56:03 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

WTF is "Hallifat?"

Caliphate? C is right next to H on HIS keyboard.
socks
socks
  • Threads: 15
October 20th, 2014 at 1:06:40 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Fair enough. There are certainly layers of wealth. I admire Thiel and most anyone that has earned or built or somehow gained their own status. When I think of the "ptb" I think of those that have so much wealth they aren't mentioned on Forbes list of billionaires. Me knowing that half the world lives on 3 dollars per day probably puts me in the top 10%, so personally I have nothing to complain about in that regard. What I don't really agree with is why the secrecy?

There was this character, on an old peak oil forum, who called himself Dennis From Oregon. He claimed, across 3000+ posts, that he was the black sheep of his illuminati family, and that the illuminati was made up of 300 banking families. I'm in no position to know if he's telling the truth or building a fake image (for fun or profit), but I always thought he was entertaining.

If I owned the world I don't know how different it would be.

That makes me think of the Buffyverse, when tbtp handed control of Wolfram&Heart over to Angel and he found himself mired down and forced to make compromises, at least, for a while, until he went down fighting.

Thiel says some great things that need saying. Speaks a lot of truth like questioning student loans. Since biblical times when a new ruler came to be there was a debt jubilee. ...

I'm also a fan of Thiel's stance on college, that it's become a tournament and insurance, rather than an investment. I'm not a huge fan of comparing the present to past times. Steven Pinker's take on the world (given in his TED talk on violence) as having a very violent, hobbesian, past, rings true to me; along with his assertion that today's world has rapidly become much, much, less violent. That said, I believe the main driver has been innovation and economic development and not social change that takes the stage today. Pinker covers a number of possible causes in his book, The Better Angels of Our Nature, which I haven't read yet.

I admire the Chinese government, it appears to me that they nationalistically support their country. I believe that is what a government is supposed to do, not what the US 535 have been doing since 1971 and the end of Bretton Woods.

Noblesse Oblige? The early 70's were an inflection point in so many ways. Rawls work, which informs so much of our modern society, was preceded by a 40 year GDP boom (+350%); then our domestic oil supply peaked, Kissinger went to China, and globalism got started in earnest (and actual innovation slowed). The 40 years since has seen a 20% increase in GDP which has mostly gone to the top. Bill Gates notes in his TED talk on energy that this trend towards greater inequality will likely continue if we don't fix our energy problem, and that those with long time horizons will be the (relative) winners. Imo, if we need to do one thing, it's to push nuclear energy. We should be demanding this of our elite, many of whom seem perfectly happy to simply let energy availability fall off dramatically. It's risky, but I think the alternatives look a lot worse.

China is a mixed bag, but they've done the world a favor by commodifying solar power, and possibly by ignoring intellectual property (some of which (software patents) really needs attention/reform). I think it's important to have multiple governments competing with each other for talent. It's good for freedom.

I've heard of Zinn in passing, but I don't really know much about him. I'll keep an eye open.

This is by far the longest political discussion I've had this year. I try not to get involved since they can be so distracting. Unfortunately, I've really got to get back to writing code.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
October 20th, 2014 at 6:38:10 PM permalink
Damn the hard luck.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-20/anti-petrodollar-ceo-french-energy-giant-total-dies-freak-plane-crash-moscow#comments

I love a good conspiracy theory in the morning.
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 28th, 2014 at 10:43:03 AM permalink
Any thoughts on how Gazprom, Rosneft and the ruble are doing with 60$ oil?

Will the west win this urinating contest, or will things get hotter in the Ukraine.

Today, part of the Russian fleet sailed through the English channel.
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 43
November 28th, 2014 at 10:56:33 AM permalink

Will the west win this urinating contest, or will things get hotter in the Ukraine.

I heard Putin's statement the other week ( made to the Russian medias ) where he blamed the West ( read the USA ) for deliberately knocking down the price of oil so it would hurt the Russian economy, which is so dependant on it.

I would not be surprised this was true... as we are witnessing the new cold war here. But then again by trying to hurt Russia this way, wouldnt they be hurting themselves too? How many other countries depend on selling the oil and how many USA companies ?
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
November 28th, 2014 at 12:16:38 PM permalink
Quote: Zuga

I heard Putin's statement the other week ( made to the Russian medias ) where he blamed the West ( read the USA ) for deliberately knocking down the price of oil so it would hurt the Russian economy, which is so dependant on it.

I would not be surprised this was true... as we are witnessing the new cold war here. But then again by trying to hurt Russia this way, wouldnt they be hurting themselves too? How many other countries depend on selling the oil and how many USA companies ?

Thanks for your concern.

Any reduction in the cost of oil is a tremendous boost to any economy that produces goods and services.

It translates into lower prices and more jobs.

We are already witnessing that effect.

An economy solely dependent on oil production is screwed.

If there is a cold war, Good!

Western economies flourished during the cold war.

You have more important things to worry about.

Orban
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
November 28th, 2014 at 12:32:05 PM permalink
Russia should send over more models and bride for sales if they wanna capitalize on their best exports.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
November 28th, 2014 at 1:11:32 PM permalink
On the flip side the Middle Eastern oil producers are not cutting back on production because lower prices are hurting US shale operations.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 28th, 2014 at 1:16:47 PM permalink
I think there are some really big plays being made, while the people are being distracted here in the US. The media seems to create and control the "issues" of the voters.
This "news" about what is going on in Ferguson should never have made national news. There have been over 700 killings in Chicago alone during the timespan of this event. It should never have made national news, it is simply race baiting by our government and its propaganda machine, the msm. This event just stirs up hysteria until the next "national threat". The people here no longer manufacture anything and their country is swirling around the toilet bowl, but they spend their time arguing over a "moot" point. The war on drugs, poverty, illiteracy, hunger, etc.etc. is petering out. There was a need to keep the "hearts and minds" of the voters occupied until the next national threat. Prior to that the people were rebounding from a contrived election, while keeping the amnesty plan under wraps until afterwards, and to help distract them we had "ebola".

So back on topic, what I feel is critically important to the world, the new "cold war" lights up in Europe, and the west isn't even aware of the part they played in getting it fired up. The vice president [Joe Bidens] son gets the job of head ceo for the Ukrainian energy company. Coincidence? Out of all the professional oil/energy execs in the world, the best choice somehow to lead the Ukraine turns out to be our VP's son?

Putin is of course vilified by "the west", being ex-kgb there is some easy enough correlation to be gleaned if a person believes that all the communists are automatically bad. Russia no longer is communist, but is ruled by an oligarchy. Same as the west,. However to mention that raises hackles on the citizens who are steered by the press.

The big game, the one that really matters is not obvious to most. Nor does it matter, and I don't know why I'm interested really, just always have been. Vladimir got in an argument nearly a year ago after the Sochi Olympics with Prince Bandar of SA. Bandar threatened Putin claiming he controlled the Chechen muslims. At the time, SA wanted the US to go to war with Syria, the western powers would like to, after all it is an all volunteer military now.[sarc] Putin stopped the west in mid take over stride. See McCain shaking hands with AlQueada leaders in Syria and the whole system of who's who, who's giving the orders, pulling strings, furnishing weapons, and being generally illusive and subversive at the same time is less clear.

I have read that SA only has enough hydrocarbons to continue pumping at this rate for 6-7 years? Russia is certainly dependant on exporting oil, but SA is even more dependant on one export, oil. The unholy alliance between SA and the West is teetering on coming unhinged with the drop of the petro dollar, versus the ruble. Saudi drops the price against opecs wishes, the ruble craters, the dollar rises, and all appears good for the world reserve currency. But at this price, the big Bakken oil play isn't economically feasible, same way with the Canadian tar sands and slows down NG exploration.

The masters of the universe won't unleash nuclear war. That is one tiny bit of credit I will give them. No one wants to radiate resources for the next million years. That does not stop permanent conflict, which keeps the bankers and mic, in charge, making obscene profits in perpetuity.

That is kinda my take on it, I was wondering what yours was.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 126
November 28th, 2014 at 2:08:38 PM permalink

New fella on my crew ( been working with us for two months) flew home last Thursday to pick up the wife and kids and bring them to Canada.... now that he has his papers for living in Canada he finally could do this. His wife and two kids plus his brothers wife and child will all be aboard a flight out of Ukraine on Saturday. He set this up all within a few weeks of getting those official papers. Gives us a pretty good idea how bad things really are there.

Some write up I saw online here was stating the reduce price for oil has cost Russia between $100-140 BILLION this year already

• Jump to: