soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
September 8th, 2014 at 6:20:14 PM permalink
I imagine he'll be suiting up for a CFL squad in the near future, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 8th, 2014 at 6:25:53 PM permalink
Quote: soxfan

Maybe he should just change his name like the bach pros do and just try out as RJ Simpson. hey hey
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 8th, 2014 at 6:27:35 PM permalink

if he is suspended then he is not allowed to play there.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
September 8th, 2014 at 6:29:27 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

When did they implement that rule? Ricky Williams played in the CFL while he was suspended from the NFL.
soxfan
soxfan
September 8th, 2014 at 6:29:40 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

As I recall Ricky Williams played in the CFL while under NFL suspension, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 8th, 2014 at 6:47:02 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

When did they implement that rule? Ricky Williams played in the CFL while he was suspended from the NFL.

I don't know if it is true then. I listen to local sports talk during the day while at work. Last week they were talking about Josh Gordon's suspension and they mentioned that he wanted to play in the CFL but was denied because he can not play while under suspension.

Maybe there is a difference because he is still employed by a team, whereas Rice is currently unemployed. What was Williams status when he played there?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 8th, 2014 at 6:49:19 PM permalink
From an article about the Josh Gordon situation:

"But even in the unlikely case the Browns were open to Gordon playing north of the border, Canadian Football League rules prohibit any player currently under contract with another league to sign a contract."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/08/28/josh-gordon-cfl-canada-denial-cleveland/14741401/

The rule was implemented after the Ricky Williams thing; it is known as the "Ricky Williams rule"....

If the rule is as stated above, Ray Rice could play in the NFL because his contract was terminated. There could be other rules involved, of course...
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
September 8th, 2014 at 6:51:45 PM permalink
Quote: Daddydoc

Wait, WHAT? I mean, Mike Vick is a reprehensible scumbag who tortured animals. You can say Ray Rice was defending himself from an assault, but this was not a stranger who was assaulting him, and she did not have any help from another assailant. He clearly should have been able to keep her at bay without a punch to the face, which could have potentially killed her. Is she a female MMA star? Boxer? I know nothing about the woman, but she does not look like an athlete to me; certainly not one who could have a fair fight with a NFL running back. Mike Vick's crimes were certainly premeditated and this was not, but I can think of a few other ways of dealing with this beyond slugging a physically inferior person in the face - he could have gotten off the elevator at the next floor, he could have held her at arm's length, played defensive. If she had died, would you still say that what Mike Vick did was far worse?

She DIDNT so your question is not valid.
RonC
RonC
September 8th, 2014 at 6:57:18 PM permalink
Ray Rice played football in front of people for money. Even though you and I don't own the teams, it is our money that pays the bills for those teams. If there weren't people watching, there would be no billion, or even million, dollar football teams. Role model or not, the individuals that play have a duty to the people who own the teams to not do stupid things that will make the team and league look bad.

Yes, some people would watch football even if the teams were all convicted felons, but not as many as watch it now. Like it or not, the league has a duty to keep it as clean as it possibly can because it is a product that they are selling. The players are the main component of that product. It is easy to say "they don't have to be role models"...that may well be true. They do need to help sell the product.

Smacking a woman into oblivion and then dragging her off the elevator and flopping her lifeless body on the floor is not only unacceptable and reprehensible, it is also horrible for the league's image. That is why he was deservedly cut and suspended. He may well get a second chance; we do believe in those in America, but he deserved everything that happened to him today. The league office deserves all the criticism it is getting, too.

There is no "right" to be a professional football player or earn that kind of money. It is a fantastic opportunity, not a right.
soxfan
soxfan
September 8th, 2014 at 7:01:13 PM permalink
Rice's contract was terminated so he is able to play in the CFL. Besides that cowardly punk ochocinco or whatever he calls himself head-butted his wife and he is playing in the CFL, too, hey hey.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 8th, 2014 at 7:08:47 PM permalink

Rice's contract was terminated so he is able to play in the CFL. Besides that cowardly punk ochocinco or whatever he calls himself head-butted his wife and he is playing in the CFL, too, hey hey.

I don't think Ocho Stinko is suspended from the NFL. He just got cut by the Dolphins and no one wanted him.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 8th, 2014 at 7:21:09 PM permalink
I don't understand, really, why the NFL is in the mix on this at all. I get that they have morals clauses, and a fan base, but I think the organization is ill-suited to have to make any decision about whether he should have a job based on domestic violence. So he's despicable. What's new about that when you're talking about NFL players? They've gone through a couple decades of selection for mayhem and violence just to get the job. They've been desensitized to physical contact, even expected to welcome it. This isn't about whether he slapped his woman around; it's about getting caught.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
September 8th, 2014 at 7:27:01 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I don't understand, really, why the NFL is in the mix on this at all. I get that they have morals clauses, and a fan base, but I think the organization is ill-suited to have to make any decision about whether he should have a job based on domestic violence. So he's despicable. What's new about that when you're talking about NFL players? They've gone through a couple decades of selection for mayhem and violence just to get the job. They've been desensitized to physical contact, even expected to welcome it. This isn't about whether he slapped his woman around; it's about getting caught.

They have a product to protect. Sometimes the situation is so bad that they have to take action. They tried inaction--a two game suspension is nearly nothing at all--but then the video came out. Their product was in a spot where it could be hurt worse--looking like they were okay with domestic abuse (with video evidence); they had to take action.

Again, those athletes have no "right" to play in the NFL. They can lose the chance in a heartbeat for a myriad of reasons.
Daddydoc
Daddydoc
  • Threads: 8
September 8th, 2014 at 7:28:58 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Quote: daddydoc

If she had died, would you still say that what Mike Vick did was far worse?

She DIDNT so your question is not valid.

Yeah, it was a hypothetical question. I didn't say that she died. I am curious to know if your opinion about the severity of his action would change if she HAD died, which she easily could have. It's OK with me if you don't want to answer, but the question is not "invalid".
If government is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question.
RonC
RonC
September 8th, 2014 at 7:29:30 PM permalink
Just read a great story about Manti Te'o and his take on the Ray Rice situation. "I'd never hit my girl, even if she was real"

--saw that on Facebook

Also...

"The Cowboys should pick up Ray Rice. They don't beat anyone..."
Daddydoc
Daddydoc
September 8th, 2014 at 7:30:43 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

Just read a great story about Manti Te'o and his take on the Ray Rice situation. "I'd never hit my girl, even if she was real"

+1
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 8th, 2014 at 7:55:52 PM permalink

The CFL is mostly done for the year... lasr four to five games of the regular season. Unlikely to sign toxic players right now. Even more so a RB... the football doesnt suit ground pounding backs.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 8th, 2014 at 8:00:00 PM permalink

They have a product to protect. Sometimes the situation is so bad that they have to take action. They tried inaction--a two game suspension is nearly nothing at all--but then the video came out. Their product was in a spot where it could be hurt worse--looking like they were okay with domestic abuse (with video evidence); they had to take action.

I don't buy that. People will watch anyway. They may complain for a bit but in a few weeks they will forget about it and go back to watching. There were actually protests over Vick. It didn't matter. I'll bet that you count the people who stopped watching football over that on one hand.

Quote:

Again, those athletes have no "right" to play in the NFL. They can lose the chance in a heartbeat for a myriad of reasons.

I'm sure that a team will pick him up eventually. Maybe he will sit out a season. The fact is, the fans want to see the best players, and the teams want to win. Just like happened with Vick: someone will pick him up, and they will make a big deal about giving someone a second chance.

You can tell that the NFL is run by a lawyer. This is all for show.
RonC
RonC
September 8th, 2014 at 8:18:35 PM permalink

I don't buy that. People will watch anyway. They may complain for a bit but in a few weeks they will forget about it and go back to watching. There were actually protests over Vick. It didn't matter. I'll bet that you count the people who stopped watching football over that on one hand.

So if the intention is to protect the product, why would they need to do anything else at this point? He was already suspended the proper amount of games based on the policy in place at the time of the violation.

I'm sure that a team will pick him up eventually. Maybe he will sit out a season. The fact is, the fans want to see the best players, and the teams want to win. Just like happened with Vick: someone will pick him up, and they will make a big deal about giving someone a second chance.

Already covered that...from an earlier post:

He may well get a second chance; we do believe in those in America, but he deserved everything that happened to him today. The league office deserves all the criticism it is getting, too.

Again, what need is there for a "show" if they aren't protecting their product?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 8th, 2014 at 8:30:58 PM permalink

Again, what need is there for a "show" if they aren't protecting their product?

They are just making an example of him so that they have something to point to later.

It's just like all these stupid new rules which they pretend are to protect players, but actually do nothing to protect players. They don't give a crap about the players; it's so that when they get sued about the whole massive head trauma thing they can point to this and pretend that they did as much as possible to mitigate the problem.

Personally, I don't care. I know that 90% of the players are assholes who beat their wives or worse, and I know that the game is destroying their health. It doesn't matter. I want to watch because it's good entertainment, and I'll keep watching until they shut the league down. And most other fans feel the same way. In the 90s the Cowboys were winning super bowls. It wasn't exactly a secret that they were all coke-heads and felons, and no one cared. People watched because they were fun to watch.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
September 8th, 2014 at 10:08:43 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I don't understand, really, why the NFL is in the mix on this at all. I get that they have morals clauses, and a fan base, but I think the organization is ill-suited to have to make any decision about whether he should have a job based on domestic violence.

Employers always have the final say on whether an employee has a job......it doesn't have to make sense to anyone except the NFL/Ravens.......they are the one's paying him.

I don't think the comparison of Rice's situation to Vick's is appropriate. One abused animals, the other abused a human being.......there is a big difference. Unlike Vick, Ray Rice will never play in the NFL again.

Now if there had been a video of Vick electrocuting those pit bulls and we had some horrific images of the dogs suffering, Vick might not have played again either. The video footage is the death nail for Rice as it is easier to forgive & forget about incidents you haven't actually scene. Anytime Ray Rice's name comes up in the future, that video is going to run on our TV's all over again.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 8th, 2014 at 10:29:10 PM permalink
I believe suspensions happen because power in too few hands. Megacompany doesn't like it and all the others on the board don't like something and on other companies, they pull endorsement or threaten. When companies are independent, they don't agree and have no reason to agree. If the decision makers veto, everyone has to deal with it.
I am a robot.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
September 9th, 2014 at 12:25:26 AM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Now if there had been a video of Vick electrocuting those pit bulls and we had some horrific images of the dogs suffering, Vick might not have played again either. The video footage is the death nail for Rice as it is easier to forgive & forget about incidents you haven't actually scene. Anytime Ray Rice's name comes up in the future, that video is going to run on our TV's all over again.

Video of OJ stabbing Ron Goldman and Nicole would have ended his football career, for sure.

Anyway, NFL establishing consistent rules and abiding by them in all the cases would at least make more people happy (maybe).
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
September 9th, 2014 at 1:14:45 AM permalink

+1000
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
September 9th, 2014 at 2:31:14 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

For the past couple of days, each time I watched ESPN, I hear about how the public is outraged at how short the suspension Ray Rice received from the NFL is. I am going to take the opposite view and one that I suspect will not be very popular. I don't think Ray Rice should have been suspended at all, by the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, domestic violence is big issue and one that I take very seriously, and Ray Rice's behavior is deplorable. If someone's conduct and actions rise to the level of criminality, they should go to jail and/or prison, and professional athletes should receive no special treatment. Floyd Mayweather went to jail. Such issues should be handled in the criminal justice system. I don't see where the NFL has any place issuing any kind of penalty. I mean if ray Rice worked at Walmart, would he be suspended from work? Let's keep the criminal justice system separate from other things and allow the criminal justice system to work.

I am not sure about Walmart in particular, but , many big chain stores do background checks and automatically either don't hire or consider vastly less for violent convictions, so I'm assuming Walmart probably does too. And if he worked at Walmart and missed a lot of time to go to jail he probably would lose his job...

But Rice is part of a private organization (NFL) and works or a team, I don't follow football so I have no clue what team he is (was perhaps) on, and I find it irrelevant anyway. But if the NFL and/or his team don't want him or want him to face a suspension that is their right. If I owned a football team and one of my players was amusing his family he would be gone, I don't care how good or popular he is.
Boz
Boz
September 9th, 2014 at 2:41:46 AM permalink
Quote: Daddydoc

Yeah, it was a hypothetical question. I didn't say that she died. I am curious to know if your opinion about the severity of his action would change if she HAD died, which she easily could have. It's OK with me if you don't want to answer, but the question is not "invalid".

I have no problem answering, its just your point makes no sense. YES, it would be worse than what Vick did IF she he killed her. Yes, I value a human life more than an animals, but I see killing an animal worse than hitting a women. Neither is good, but in this case if Vick was left back, Rice should be too after serving his suspension.

Not sure why you think I would feel the same IF she was dead.
RonC
RonC
September 9th, 2014 at 4:06:53 AM permalink
I don't get why anyone is surprised by the actions the NFL and the Ravens took yesterday. I think they are either lying or inept about the whole not seeing the video until yesterday--if the video was out there to be seen, they surely could have gotten a look at it before TMZ did IF they really wanted to... No matter, the video came out yesterday. It was reprehensible. The lady, whether she was aggressive in anyway or not, should not have been struck by a man. She had no weapon; he could have restrained her instead of hitting her if he absolutely needed to do something.

Then he tossed her lifeless body on the floor after removing from the elevator. It wasn't gentle; it wasn't loving--it was yet another assault on her.

--The NFL may have allowed all kinds of things in the past, but they are trying to present an image that is better than one of a man smacking a woman. They would be stupid not to protect the image.
--The issue is the NFL's business. Ray Rice was employed by a member team and agreed, by contract, to abide by rules regarding conduct. That team terminated his contract, which they had every right to do. The league suspended him; again, within their rights.
--Lots of people are trained to be violent in given circumstances. Some are even chosen to do violent things more often than others because they are better at. That doesn't somehow make it okay to use that violence against woman or even people not involved in the activity requiring violence.
--The NFL is a business. They may not be trying to truly protect players with the new rules they have, that is open to discussion. That doesn't mean that those rules are not about trying to project a certain image of caring about their players.
--Ray Rice may get a second chance. That's okay with me if the NFL decides he deserves it based on whatever criteria they use. Lots of people get second chances.
--Who cares if he lost the opportunity to make a lot of money working for a private employer? I certainly don't care. I hold all of those who blow opportunities like he has as idiots, not as people to feel sorry for.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
September 9th, 2014 at 5:47:19 AM permalink
The only reason I don't agree with Kewlj is that the NFL's business is convincing people to put their players and teams on a pedestal, so that people throw money at them and vote to use public money to subsidize their business. So, when someone becomes a villain in the eyes of the public, he can't really do that job effectively. AxiomofChoice might be right, that people wouldn't care, like with the Cowboys. But I think the NFL can at least plausibly argue that this case is different because a vicious crime that pushes people's buttons was caught on film.

For the most part though, I hate that employers have as much power to regulate your personal life as they do. It's ridiculous that your boss can give you random drug tests, or any drug tests. If employers in general started to take on more of a criminal justice role, that would be terrible. They already have more than enough power over workers in this country without taking over the role of judge and jury.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
September 9th, 2014 at 6:23:32 AM permalink

...I don't buy that. People will watch anyway. They may complain for a bit but in a few weeks they will forget about it and go back to watching. There were actually protests over Vick. It didn't matter. I'll bet that you count the people who stopped watching football over that on one hand...

I quit watching football not solely because of Vick, but that was a big part of it. While there are many fine gentlemen playing the game, there are way too many thugs in the game to suit me now. And since the league office, nor owners, seem to have any interest in removing those thugs, I am no longer interested in their product. I think the number of people like me is way higher than you are imagining. However, I agree, in the overall numbers, we are an insignificant percentage.

And as if I needed to prove my point, the Pittsburgh game was on in the clubhouse when I finished my golf game. I looked up just in time to see the Brown's return man, kick the Pittsburgh punter in the face mask with his cleats. He should have been ejected. There is no part of the game that allows you to kick someone in the head. I can see someone who has been battling in the trenches all day trying to get even with their opponent for some prior transgression(s), but a kicker? What the hell did he ever do to deserve that? At least they managed to throw a flag on the play, but that was butt ugly.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
chickenman
chickenman
September 9th, 2014 at 6:32:30 AM permalink
So what about OJ still in HOF? The NFL should melt down his bronze and subject his name to damnatio memoriae IMNSHO
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
September 9th, 2014 at 7:41:48 AM permalink
On my fantasy football draft strategy sheet for the past few years there are two names that I will not consider drafting regardless of the situation. Micheal Vick and Ben Roethlisberger. I don't want to have any rooting interest in their success. I didn't play this year but if I had, I would not have drafted Rice either. Are there any other legit fantasy prospects that should be on that list?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
chickenman
chickenman
September 9th, 2014 at 7:56:42 AM permalink
Romo. Because you actually want to, ahem, win...
Keyser
Keyser
September 9th, 2014 at 12:48:55 PM permalink
I think the Rice incident is an example of culture clash. Many of us find it shocking behavior because we don't fully understand the culture, but in some ethnic groups, people express their emotions more openly and violently. Rice's girlfriend accepts the lifestyle, and has forgiven him. Maybe we should just let it slide as well and accept it as being just part of the culture. Much like the Michael Vick incident.
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
September 9th, 2014 at 1:00:30 PM permalink
Divorce rates are rare, less freedom women have. Food for thoughts.
Gandler
Gandler
September 9th, 2014 at 1:05:05 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

I think the Rice incident is an example of culture clash. Many of us find it shocking behavior because we don't fully understand the culture, but in some ethnic groups, people express their emotions more openly and violently. Rice's girlfriend accepts the lifestyle, and has forgiven him. Maybe we should just let it slide as well and accept it as being just part of the culture. Much like the Michael Vick incident.

Wait. Your first part of your statement aside. How is dog fighting justified in Vick's culture? What culture is that?
Keyser
Keyser
September 9th, 2014 at 1:27:02 PM permalink
Some cultures are simply more violent than others. If they're ok with it, then perhaps we should just look the other way and accept the rich cultural diversity.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
September 9th, 2014 at 1:44:51 PM permalink
Gonna need a lot of Guinness and cashews for this one, hey hey!
Gandler
Gandler
September 9th, 2014 at 1:54:11 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Some cultures are simply more violent than others. If they're ok with it, then perhaps we should just look the other way and accept the rich cultural diversity.

So forcing dogs to tear each other apart is acceptable if somebody comes from a country that has a history of doing that?

I'm sorry but that's absurd. Besides the blatant animal cruelty involved, who enjoys such violence? Only a sick sadistic person would be interested in that.

And even worst than that beating your wife is fine if it is culturally acceptable?

What if I am from a Muslim culture and I don't think my wife should be allowed to drive, not allowed to vote, I can rape her if she refuses to have sex for 7 consecutive days, I can beat her to death if I feel like it. Would any or all of those be ok if my cultural community approves?

America is a melting pot, not a box of drawers. We can (and shouls) have diversity but people need to conform to basic human rights standards to live here.I don't care where they moved from, nobody has an excuse to abuse their spouse or animals. Everyone has to follow the laws and respect the rights of others.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 9th, 2014 at 2:12:08 PM permalink
Rayricewifebeatertees.com

If he sells one million shirts, the Ravens will take him back.
I am a robot.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
September 9th, 2014 at 2:15:33 PM permalink
I didn't watch it with sound but it sort of looked like self defense to me, did anyone else see the way she was going after him?

edit;

Maybe I need to look into more info on this before making a comment but has anyone here ever been attacked by a psychotic woman with extended finger nails?

It's not like he choked her out, he hit her once to stop the attack, he was already backed against the wall, is that somehow wrong to defend himself.

I somehow get the impression that many commentors have never had their ass kicked real good by either sex. It may change minds about all this high and mighty moral ground stuff.

Does it look like she was completely innocent somehow, like standing in a corner being pleasant or do you see her charging him.

What would you do in the same situation, he couldn't back up any further. The only reason she thought she could do that in an elevator is proof he hadn't been beating her at home. One left hook, looked like a fair punch to me. He didn't kick her when she was down. He didn't just leave her there and they are still together.

I am not advocating hitting women, or for that matter anybody, but check out reality once in a while. So this guys life is now done. Happy now with the vindication?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 9th, 2014 at 2:24:26 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

I didn't watch it with sound but it sort of looked like self defense to me, did anyone else see the way she was going after him?

There is no sound anywhere. I thought the same thing before I saw the whole thing (I missed the part where he was over on "her side" of the elevator, intimidating, yelling, and shoving her, and possibly hitting her).

I'm not saying that she is not partially at fault but he basically turned a shoving match into something a lot more severe.

If you miss the first part of the video, it does look like he said something to her, she lunged at him, and he just reacted. But if you watch the whole thing I think it's pretty clear that he is the aggressor.
petroglyph
petroglyph
September 9th, 2014 at 2:40:37 PM permalink
Well now that he is out of the NFL and the best job he will ever get is a bouncer or used car dealer is anyone taking bets on how long the relationship will last?
Boz
Boz
September 9th, 2014 at 3:42:26 PM permalink
Quote: chickenman

So what about OJ still in HOF? The NFL should melt down his bronze and subject his name to damnatio memoriae IMNSHO

For trying to get his own stuff back in Vegas? Or are you that mystery person who was in LA in 94, but never testified as to what they saw?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 9th, 2014 at 3:50:13 PM permalink
Here's a joke.

What do you tell a woman with two black eyes?

Nothing, she's already been told twice.
"What, me worry?"
Daddydoc
Daddydoc
September 9th, 2014 at 3:54:25 PM permalink
Yikes.
rxwine
rxwine
September 9th, 2014 at 6:10:54 PM permalink
Did anyone highlight this:

Quote:

Rice slugged his future spouse while they were at the Revel Casino Hotel

There's a whole board full of people here who could have warned them something bad was bound to happen.

That explains everything. Alert the media!
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
September 9th, 2014 at 6:58:18 PM permalink
A professional athlete knocking out a woman who is shoving or scratching him is not "self-defence."
rxwine
rxwine
September 9th, 2014 at 7:05:28 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

A professional athlete knocking out a woman who is shoving or scratching him is not "self-defence."

Also, had he picked her up and carried her out of the elevator, he could have pitched it as a rash spontaneous reaction which he immediately regretted. If he immediately regretted it as a spontaneous reaction, he didn't show it by dragging her out like a sack of potatoes.

Both things worked together to make it worse.
soxfan
soxfan
September 9th, 2014 at 7:06:41 PM permalink
What really made the NFL look bad is that they suspend cats a full year for smoking weed but give a slap on the wrist to cats who violently abuse women. It's all about priorities, right, hey hey!
petroglyph
petroglyph
September 9th, 2014 at 7:39:09 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I don't think he got up that morning and plotted to get his future wife in an elevator to knock her out, why not just do it at home?

He is a finely tuned machine who has exercised for years and is full of adrenaline, testosterone and what ever endorphins make our bodies work at peak perfomance.

He didn't think, he reacted. That is why they train and train and train to be able to react without thinking about it. It took her well less than two seconds to cross that elevator and it looked to me like she was going for his face or neck. There wasn't much time for him to assees the situation and he was in a corner.

Virtually ALL pugilists get hit. That woman needs counseling about ther anger issues. Getting hit isn't that big of a deal. That one punch does not change that womans life but it certainly changed his forever. Let the punishment fit the crime.

If he had the time and grabbed both wrists just to stop her, how would that look to someone wanting on? Not to mention the bruising. If he just ducked and covered and again someone opens the door what does that look like? This is just a lose lose lose for this guy. He had no escape in the elevator or in the press.

I don't know if she has reported him to the authority's before for this but that would be all over the news. Certainly spousal abuse is a serious crime.
  • Jump to: