RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 5th, 2014 at 11:14:28 AM permalink
There is some basis for the argument that an Election Day, and not an election period, was established by law:

"The Tuesday after the first Monday in November was initially established in 1845 (US Code Title 3, Chapter 1) for the appointment of Presidential electors in every fourth year. US Code Title 2, Chapter 1, Section 7 established this date for electing U.S. Representatives in every even numbered year in 1875. Finally, US Code Title 2, Chapter 1 established this date as the time for electing U.S. Senators in 1914."

http://www.calendar-updates.com/info/holidays/us/election.aspx

"The electors of President and Vice President shall be appointed, in each State, on the Tuesday next after the first Monday in November, in every fourth year succeeding every election of a President and Vice President."

3 U.S. Code § 1 - Time of appointing electors

"The Tuesday next after the 1st Monday in November, in every even numbered year, is established as the day for the election, in each of the States and Territories of the United States, of Representatives and Delegates to the Congress commencing on the 3d day of January next thereafter."

2 U.S. Code § 7 - Time of election
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 5th, 2014 at 1:59:08 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It is not as if they are in the Senate voting on a major bill. Will the results change if they don't make it to vote? No. Will their life change if they can't make it? No. Sorry, but that is reality.

Wow, how soon we forget. All votes are important.
One recent Presidential election was decided by a mere 537 votes here in Florida.

I used to live in MD. Voting sucked. Had to get up an hour early to vote because did not want to deal with the long after work lines.
In Md, I almost feel like the system is discouraging me to vote.
Here in Florida, we have early voting, I have the weekend off, I get up when I want to, leisurely breakfast, check out the news and WOV forum on the internet, get dressed, take a nice bike ride and vote. This is how I voted in 2008.
Here in Florida, I feel the system encourages me to vote.

I love early voting in Florida. Its convenient and easy. I feel sorry for voters that have to make the decision get up early or wait in long lines after work.
These elections are too important to be decided on a system that discourages voting.
I like a system that encourages me to vote rather then discourage.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 5th, 2014 at 2:22:43 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Wow, how soon we forget. All votes are important.
One recent Presidential election was decided by a mere 537 votes here in Florida.

Sorry, a clean election is more important to me than people who cannot be bothered to lose half an hours sleep or miss a rerun of "Seinfeld."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
April 5th, 2014 at 2:36:24 PM permalink

Sorry, a clean election is more important to me than people who cannot be bothered to lose half an hours sleep or miss a rerun of "Seinfeld."

Again it is not just half an hour as has been repeatedly shown there have been wait times in the 4+ hours. So normal voting time easily precludes some people if they have a job.

Also your voter laws would be shown to preclude people who are legally entitled to vote and yet will now not be able to because of rules which are trying to stop a problem that has not been shown to have any effect on any election.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 5th, 2014 at 2:51:14 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

Again it is not just half an hour as has been repeatedly shown there have been wait times in the 4+ hours. So normal voting time easily precludes some people if they have a job.

There are not regular 4 hours waits. A few spotty precincts can be fixed without changing the law to weaken security in the entire state.

Quote:

Also your voter laws would be shown to preclude people who are legally entitled to vote and yet will now not be able to because of rules which are trying to stop a problem that has not been shown to have any effect on any election.

How would that be? Everyone has or can get ID, nothing has proven otherwise. And everyone should be able to vote before or after work else get an absentee ballot if they have a job where they are out of town.
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:04:00 PM permalink

There are not regular 4 hours waits. A few spotty precincts can be fixed without changing the law to weaken security in the entire state.

How would that be? Everyone has or can get ID, nothing has proven otherwise. And everyone should be able to vote before or after work else get an absentee ballot if they have a job where they are out of town.

Actually there are plenty of people who would have difficulty getting an ID card. For instance many old people do not have ready access to a birth certificate same with some people who were born in other countries.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
April 5th, 2014 at 3:10:23 PM permalink

Actually there are plenty of people who would have difficulty getting an ID card. For instance many old people do not have ready access to a birth certificate same with some people who were born in other countries.

How are those people processed for Social Security, both pre- and post-retirement programs; food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, welfare, Section 8 and so on?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:11:19 PM permalink

If they drive they have ID, if they worked they have ID, there is no way they made it through life without ID.

Those born in other countries have a naturalization certificate, which is just as good as a birth certificate, for getting ID.

Everyone has or can get ID.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
April 5th, 2014 at 3:11:43 PM permalink

People who were born in other countries and are here without ID should vote? Twirdman slipped up and let his real agenda out --LET ILLEGALS VOTE!
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:22:39 PM permalink

If they drive they have ID, if they worked they have ID, there is no way they made it through life without ID.

Those born in other countries have a naturalization certificate, which is just as good as a birth certificate, for getting ID.

And then they stopped driving and stop working hence their ID expired. Or they moved for a new job and never bothered to get a license since it is a hassle. Especially in some states like Florida where presenting your old ID is not sufficient to get a new ID. So I came from California and have no ID here from the state. I could get one since I did have my birth certificate and an expired passport but haven't bothered since my California ID will be valid for another 2 years and I don't do any kind of driving anyway. But say I didn't have my original birth certificate I would have to request it from Washington state since that is where I was born.

Umm not everyone born in another country wasn't a US citizen. For instance my brother. So all he has is a certificate of life birth which is not enough to get an ID in Florida. So again getting an ID could be difficult.

So no not everyone has a valid ID or could easily get one. Also having an ID at some point in history does not mean you always have it since it can easily expire and they may have no reason to replace it.
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:27:03 PM permalink
Quote: timberjim

People who were born in other countries and are here without ID should vote? Twirdman slipped up and let his real agenda out --LET ILLEGALS VOTE!

You realize not all people born overseas are illegal right? For instance there was a naval base on the Philippines till the mid 80s so somehow anyone born there should be rendered unable to vote because they are foreigners even though they may be US citizens by virtue of their father/mother being a US citizen who happens to be in the military. Same for bases in Japan, Germany, or around the world.

Or say a set of parents were just on vacation overseas and gave birth to a child. The parents are US citizens so so is the kid.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:31:42 PM permalink

And then they stopped driving and stop working hence their ID expired. Or they moved for a new job and never bothered to get a license since it is a hassle. Especially in some states like Florida where presenting your old ID is not sufficient to get a new ID. So I came from California and have no ID here from the state. I could get one since I did have my birth certificate and an expired passport but haven't bothered since my California ID will be valid for another 2 years and I don't do any kind of driving anyway. But say I didn't have my original birth certificate I would have to request it from Washington state since that is where I was born.

Then request it and get an ID. How hard can that be?

Quote:

Umm not everyone born in another country wasn't a US citizen. For instance my brother. So all he has is a certificate of life birth which is not enough to get an ID in Florida. So again getting an ID could be difficult.

Well, he will have a problem then since he cannot drive, get a legal job, drink, open a bank account, buy sudafed, fly on an airplane, or any of dozens of other things, one of which should be vote. How does he expect to survive?i

I had a boss once was born in Haiti where his dad was an expatriate. Guess what? He had ID! When he moved from NJ to NY he got a new ID. When he moved from NY to another state (IN IIRC) he got a new ID! WOW!

Quote:

So no not everyone has a valid ID or could easily get one. Also having an ID at some point in history does not mean you always have it since it can easily expire and they may have no reason to replace it.

Incorrect, everyone has or can easily get one. It just means leaving your house and putting in some effort, god forbid.
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:39:42 PM permalink

Then request it and get an ID. How hard can that be?

Well, he will have a problem then since he cannot drive, get a legal job, drink, open a bank account, buy sudafed, fly on an airplane, or any of dozens of other things, one of which should be vote. How does he expect to survive?

Incorrect, everyone has or can easily get one. It just means leaving your house and putting in some effort, god forbid.

The second one simple already have a job when you move same with a bank account and live in a state with public transportation or walk everywhere. Plenty of people don't have licenses the numbers have already been released and the argument from incredulity is a logical fallacy. Just because you don't see how someone could have problem getting a license or how someone may not already have a license does not mean these things don't exist.

Now again you still haven't shown any effect that voter fraud has had on an election so what purpose do these laws have other than disenfranchising people. Almost all the cases of fraud you have pointed out would not be stopped by a voter ID so can you at least show some cases that would be prevented and preferably some nice hard numbers rather than I know in my heart people are cheating.

Feelings are meaningless without some numbers to back it up.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 5th, 2014 at 3:47:34 PM permalink

Now again you still haven't shown any effect that voter fraud has had on an election so what purpose do these laws have other than disenfranchising people. .

Likewise, you can always complain security for shoplifting is never enough, as shoplifting continues somewhere. So, no matter what is done, pointing to fraud somewhere is always an excuse for these laws.

That's not enough. They need to show how it is changing elections, how often and so on. Not just pointing there are irregularities. There will likely always be irregularities no matter what.
i
Just saying fraud exists, is not an argument for doing something.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
April 5th, 2014 at 3:52:48 PM permalink
In fact if the argument holds that any discrepancy is cause to do something, you can apply it almost everywhere, even if a problem is nearly non-existent. One can almost always find problems. You need to know how much effect a problem has.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
April 5th, 2014 at 4:04:32 PM permalink

You realize not all people born overseas are illegal right? For instance there was a naval base on the Philippines till the mid 80s so somehow anyone born there should be rendered unable to vote because they are foreigners even though they may be US citizens by virtue of their father/mother being a US citizen who happens to be in the military. Same for bases in Japan, Germany, or around the world.

Or say a set of parents were just on vacation overseas and gave birth to a child. The parents are US citizens so so is the kid.

You keep pulling examples out of thin air. Please supply a list of eligible voters who cannot easily get ID. Real people, not what ifs. You know the liberals would proudly parade these people in front of the press if they actually existed.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 5th, 2014 at 4:34:41 PM permalink

You're making an awful lot of assumptions and generalizations with these statements. For example, women over about 60 are a disproportionately large group affected by this. Many women that age and older raised the kids, didn't work, didn't drive. That's just how families were. Lots of people never owned a car. There is also a great disparity in when and what individual states issued for birth certificates, for drivers' licenses, and when they transitioned from non-photo to photo ID. And until VERY recently, you could vote with nothing more than a non-photo link to your address, like a utility bill, or a person from your neighborhood identifying you as a resident (which was originally why they recruited poll workers from the precinct where they lived, to help ID people).

No doubt the world has changed, and modern life almost requires an ID. But we are still in a transition period, and people who never needed a gov't issued ID before are going to be slow to adapt. Related to this, there are a lot of very legitimate ID's that are NOT being accepted, depending on the state; for example, a student ID issued by an accredited university should be acceptable, but in many states, it's not. A driver's license with an old address, even with proof you've moved, can be turned down. A local work ID, a sworn affidavit with utilities in someone's name, lots of other ways that used to be righteous are no longer valid, due mostly to the paranoia caused by exaggerated tales of fraud, and the agendas of those writing the laws in recent years.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 5th, 2014 at 4:42:10 PM permalink
Quote: timberjim

You keep pulling examples out of thin air. Please supply a list of eligible voters who cannot easily get ID. Real people, not what ifs. You know the liberals would proudly parade these people in front of the press if they actually existed.

I mentioned very specifically that me and my brother both had problems getting ID in Florida and while we both could it was not a simple matter and they really serve no purpose for either of us right now.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
April 5th, 2014 at 8:19:07 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Women over about 60 are a disproportionately large group affected by this. Many women that age and older raised the kids, didn't work, didn't drive. That's just how families were. Lots of people never owned a car.

How do they carry out the activities of life like food shopping, health care, doctors' visits and the like?

People who never needed a gov't issued ID before are going to be slow to adapt.

That was the rationale in the 90's for opposing the requirement as part of welfare reform. It turned out to have no ill effects and served only to eliminate the one-third of recipients who were fakers.

A student ID issued by an accredited university should be acceptable, but in many states, it's not.

Anybody involved with a bar near a campus will be amused by this.
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
April 5th, 2014 at 8:49:50 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Except when you consider you only need to be 18 to vote, not 21.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 5th, 2014 at 8:56:18 PM permalink
Quote: endermike

>
So they are not going to drive, work, or open a bank account, either? Really? Are you expecting them to be like children and helpless?
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
April 5th, 2014 at 9:08:55 PM permalink

>
So they are not going to drive, work, or open a bank account, either? Really? Are you expecting them to be like children and helpless?

No, I'm addressing Sancho's point. Sancho mentioned bars with regards to students.

a student ID issued by an accredited university should be acceptable, but in many states, it's not.

I'm pointing out that many folks going to college have no need for ID solely for bars.
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 5th, 2014 at 9:11:47 PM permalink

>

You can work with a student ID I have mentioned this multiple times already. Pretty sure you can also open a bank account. As for driving no they won't. Basically 0 people drive in Davis everyone either took the bus or biked. In Gainsville plenty of people just take the bus also. Also they could just have the ID from the state they are originally from and simply never get a new ID since what is the point their out of state Id lets them work, drive, and buy booze only thing it doesn't let them do is vote. So say he gets an ID right before he moves for college, not too unusual since move at 18 and plenty of people wait till 18 to get a license, so he could keep that through his entire college career without expiring or he can jump through hoops to get a new license which again really serves no purpose.
RonC
RonC
April 6th, 2014 at 2:57:24 AM permalink

You can work with a student ID I have mentioned this multiple times already. Pretty sure you can also open a bank account. As for driving no they won't. Basically 0 people drive in Davis everyone either took the bus or biked. In Gainsville plenty of people just take the bus also. Also they could just have the ID from the state they are originally from and simply never get a new ID since what is the point their out of state Id lets them work, drive, and buy booze only thing it doesn't let them do is vote. So say he gets an ID right before he moves for college, not too unusual since move at 18 and plenty of people wait till 18 to get a license, so he could keep that through his entire college career without expiring or he can jump through hoops to get a new license which again really serves no purpose.

Perhaps you should have to care enough about the state that you are going to school in to get their proper ID to voter there.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 6th, 2014 at 4:34:36 AM permalink

Perhaps the students should obey the law? Any state I have been in requires you to get a new license 30 days or so after you establish residency. So if the student doesnt get a new license because they are not staying then they are a resident of their old state and should be voting there, where they have ID just like every other adult.

I know, I know. Maybe the student has a dog, and the dog ate their ID so they don't get to vote...........
RonC
RonC
April 6th, 2014 at 5:39:27 AM permalink
If one were to fall onto this planet (and survive the fall, of course!) and read this thread they would think that getting an ID must be the hardest thing on earth to do. There are so many obstacles, why it practically can't be done!!!

I get that there is not as much proven voter fraud as there is supposed voter fraud but there is also more of it than the deniers acknowledge. Asking someone to properly identify themselves--something they have to do time and again to get anything of substance--is just not that high of a bar.

I've already allowed for people who never got IDs due to the lifestyle we had in earlier times--I said after 1940; make it 1950. Whatever. The reality is that nearly everyone needs an ID to get things done. It isn't some huge burden that cannot possibly be fathomed by people.

I'm waiting for someone who despises religion to say that having to have a proper ID is like getting the "666" affixed to you...
RonC
RonC
April 6th, 2014 at 5:45:56 AM permalink

You can only be a citizen of one state at a time. It really isn't that hard, with proper documentation, to get identification. Maybe some don't get the ID because they don't want to be a real citizen of the new state (higher taxes, as in someone moving to California from Texas would wait as long as possible to be a California resident for tax purposes and, going the other way, they'd change residence as quickly as possible), they are too lazy to do so, they don't want to, they'd rather swill a beer, or a million other excuses. Very few reasons; lots of excuses.
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 6th, 2014 at 8:10:34 AM permalink

Perhaps the students should obey the law? Any state I have been in requires you to get a new license 30 days or so after you establish residency. So if the student doesnt get a new license because they are not staying then they are a resident of their old state and should be voting there, where they have ID just like every other adult.

I know, I know. Maybe the student has a dog, and the dog ate their ID so they don't get to vote...........

Fine there is still student ID. Basically besides buying alcohol and cigarettes a student ID is valid for any other number of other things. So basically in many college towns a student can get by perfectly well with just a student ID. So again given that a number of students would at the very least be inconvenienced you have to show at least some fraud that would be stopped by this.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 6th, 2014 at 8:41:04 AM permalink

Fine there is still student ID. Basically besides buying alcohol and cigarettes a student ID is valid for any other number of other things. So basically in many college towns a student can get by perfectly well with just a student ID. So again given that a number of students would at the very least be inconvenienced you have to show at least some fraud that would be stopped by this.

No, you do not need to show "there is fraud" you merely have to require ID as a matter of security.

It is easy for them to get ID and part of being an adult. Seriously, how many excuses are you going to come up with for not doing something so easy. What is next, we have to get them a taxi to get to the polling place because they can't find a ride?
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
April 6th, 2014 at 5:52:58 PM permalink
Quote: endermike

University ID's are intrinsically useless off campus.
rxwine
rxwine
April 6th, 2014 at 6:04:04 PM permalink

Doesn't necessarily hold true.

For example

Quote:

You no longer need ATM cards, credit cards or cash: just your Miami University ID card. By depositing dollars into MUBucks, students can use their Miami One Card to make purchases at a variety of off-campus establishments. It is an easy and convenient way to provide your student with the money they need while in college!

Twirdman
Twirdman
April 6th, 2014 at 6:08:16 PM permalink

This is totally false as was brought up earlier many of them can be loaded with money and used like a debit card know this holds true in Davis think it held true in UF. Also I have previously shown they are perfectly acceptable to get a job. They are also acceptable if you need to provide identity to use a check or credit card. In fact they are basically accepted for everything an ID would be used for except for things which need age verification.
rxwine
rxwine
April 6th, 2014 at 6:17:57 PM permalink
Saw this also while doing a search:

Quote:

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Students Put Party Differences Aside in Voter ID Battle. Will NH Legislature Follow Suit?

The battle to keep student IDs as an acceptable form of voter ID in New Hampshire has united students from both political parties. Young Democrat and Republican leaders have cosigned a letter to New Hampshire state senators urging them to alter their current course of action and explicitly list student IDs for private and state colleges as acceptable forms of voter ID.

The Senate Public and Municipal Affairs Committee recently passed an amendment to HB 595 that excludes student IDs from the list of acceptable voter ID. HB 595 would stop implementation of phase two of the ID law, which will eliminate college student IDs from the list of acceptable voter IDs if the legislature does not act. The committee amendment guts HB 595, which passed the House, by keeping college student IDs and other documents that were allowed in 2012 off of the list of acceptable documents that can be used at the polls in future elections.

http://www.campusvoteproject.org/blog/students-put-party-differences-aside-voter-id-battle-will-nh-legislature-follow-suit
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
April 6th, 2014 at 7:57:42 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote:

You no longer need ATM cards, credit cards or cash: just your Miami University ID card. By depositing dollars into MUBucks, students can use their Miami One Card to make purchases at a variety of off-campus establishments. It is an easy and convenient way to provide your student with the money they need while in college! Doesn't necessarily hold true.

It's not clear what the source of that quotation is, but the university specifically limits its debit card to on-campus on its Web page:

MUlaa

Why hassle with cash when you have MUlaa? The MUlaa account makes on-campus spending a breeze for students and parents. MUlaa is a debit account available to all current faculty, staff, and students. It can be used for a wide variety of purchases. Everyone has a MUlaa account, all you need to do to use it is deposit money into the account and use your Miami ID. Money in the MUlaa account is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Deposit locations

On-line Bursar web payment
Funds available for use in approximately 1 hour when deposited between 6am and 5pm

On-campus dining locations
Funds are available for use immediately

Shriver Center information desk

Value Transfer Stations (VTS) at King Library, Laws Hall Library ,Hughes Hall Copy Center and on the Hamilton and Middletown Campuses

MUlaa is currently accepted at

Miami University Bookstore
Miami University Box Office
Miami University Rec Center Pro Shop
IT Services Print Center
Copiers and Printers
Most vending machines
On-campus student laundry (residence halls)
Goggin Ice Center
Post Office
Student Package Delivery
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
April 6th, 2014 at 7:59:42 PM permalink

This is totally false as was brought up earlier many of them can be loaded with money and used like a debit card know this holds true in Davis think it held true in UF. Also I have previously shown they are perfectly acceptable to get a job. They are also acceptable if you need to provide identity to use a check or credit card. In fact they are basically accepted for everything an ID would be used for except for things which need age verification.

That helps explain the explosion of identity theft.
rxwine
rxwine
April 6th, 2014 at 8:14:31 PM permalink

It's not clear what the source of that quotation is, but the university specifically limits its debit card to on-campus on its Web page:

The source is under MUBucks on the below page

http://www.hdg.muohio.edu/MiamiIDcard/

List of merchants are here:

http://www.mubucks.com/mubucks/merchants.php
RonC
RonC
April 23rd, 2014 at 2:58:54 PM permalink
As I mentioned earlier, we need more cross-checks in addition reasonable voter ID laws:

"A crosscheck of voter rolls in Virginia and Maryland turned up 44,000 people registered in both states, a vote-integrity group reported Wednesday."

"In the case of Maryland and Virginia, he revealed that 164 people voted in both states during the 2012 election."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/23/over-40000-voters-are-registered-in-both-virginia-and-maryland-group-finds/

Looks like 164 potential voter fraud cases to me...
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
April 23rd, 2014 at 3:57:31 PM permalink
Not necessarily They may have voted Democratic in one state and Republican in the other. No harm, no foul.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 23rd, 2014 at 3:59:56 PM permalink
Don't even fool yourself either way thinking these things are decided on merit. They're done to us and not for us. Since debate is futile, I block thread again which was already blocked.
I am a robot.
RonC
RonC
April 23rd, 2014 at 4:19:52 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Not necessarily They may have voted Democratic in one state and Republican in the other. No harm, no foul.

No need for one vote per person, right?

Vote early; vote often!!!
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
April 23rd, 2014 at 5:47:11 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

No need for one vote per person, right? Vote early; vote often!!!

One vote for each party sounds eerily like doey-don't in craps.
RonC
RonC
October 30th, 2014 at 4:42:34 AM permalink
"The Chicago chapter of Asian Americans Advancing Justice tweeted Blake’s article with the message, “Reminder — #Illinois does NOT require #voterID to cast a ballot,” along with the pro-Democrat hashtag #TurnOutForWhat. The tweet was helpfully retweeted by the National Council of La Raza."

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/29/la-raza-promotes-washington-post-guide-on-where-people-can-vote-without-an-id/

La Raza, those folks who want to give everyone amnesty, also want to make sure the people they represent (mostly those who are here in violation of the law) understand which states require voter ID's and which ones do not require ID. Why else would they have retweeted this? Why did they not say something like--"all of you are legal to vote, please get out and vote for Democrats who support our cause"????

I know someone will say that they are "just getting the word out so all of those members who are citizens get out and vote"...and I'll say right off the bat that the person who says that is dead wrong. They want illegals to vote.

No, we don't need no stinkin' voter ID...
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 30th, 2014 at 4:54:02 AM permalink

Correct.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
terapined
terapined
October 30th, 2014 at 5:48:28 AM permalink

Have severe penaltys for voter fraud.
No id's needed.
problem solved :-)
RonC
RonC
October 30th, 2014 at 6:21:39 AM permalink

Have severe penaltys for voter fraud.
No id's needed.
problem solved :-)

Why not have people produce a valid ID just like they have to in order to do just about any financial transaction in this country?

Oh, that's just too hard for me to do. I can go apply for social security, I can get food stamps, I can buy cigarettes, I can get a drivers license...but it is just too onerous of a requirement for me to have to produce a valid ID to vote--even if the state will give it to me for free.

So an organization who wants to overturn our immigration system and allow illegals in no matter what passes the word that some states require no ID for voting. Nothing to see folks...move right along.
terapined
terapined
October 30th, 2014 at 7:07:14 AM permalink

Why not have people produce a valid ID just like they have to in order to do just about any financial transaction in this country?

Oh, that's just too hard for me to do. I can go apply for social security, I can get food stamps, I can buy cigarettes, I can get a drivers license...but it is just too onerous of a requirement for me to have to produce a valid ID to vote--even if the state will give it to me for free.

So an organization who wants to overturn our immigration system and allow illegals in no matter what passes the word that some states require no ID for voting. Nothing to see folks...move right along.

If my wallet gets stolen and my my documentation proving I am a USA citizen is stolen. Bottom line is I cant vote.
I am an American Citizen not born in this country.
My documentation is stolen, I am screwed. I cannot vote due to laws you favor.
Just make the penalties severe and it solves the problem and allows this American citizen the right to vote.

http://www.lawyerscommittee.org/page?id=0046
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 30th, 2014 at 7:21:50 AM permalink
Personally, I love this entire Voter ID debate because it will always be a losing one for Republicans.... they're not fooling anyone.

Let's call a spade a spade: voter ID laws are only enacted to make it harder for certain groups of people to vote. Groups of people who historically do not support the Republican party.

You can pretend all day long that that isn't true, but you're not fooling anyone.

It makes Republicans look like cheaters who can't win elections without suppressing certain voters, and that's why I love this issue.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
terapined
terapined
October 30th, 2014 at 7:36:04 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Personally, I love this entire Voter ID debate because it will always be a losing one for Republicans.... they're not fooling anyone.

Let's call a spade a spade: voter ID laws are only enacted to make it harder for certain groups of people to vote. Groups of people who historically do not support the Republican party.

You can pretend all day long that that isn't true, but you're not fooling anyone.

It makes Republicans look like cheaters who can't win elections without suppressing certain voters, and that's why I love this issue.

Yup, here in Florida we used to be able to vote the Sunday prior to the the official last day to vote Tues.
All the black churches hired busses on Sunday for their "souls to the polls" program.
Republicans were furious, they put a stop to that simply due to this program.
I can now vote this Saturday but I cant vote Sunday.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
October 30th, 2014 at 7:45:20 AM permalink

Yup, here in Florida we used to be able to vote the Sunday prior to the the official last day to vote Tues.
All the black churches hired busses on Sunday for their "souls to the polls" program.
Republicans were furious, they put a stop to that simply due to this program.
I can now vote this Saturday but I cant vote Sunday.

In honor of B9 here's a *facepalm* for you LIVs on this question. We'll get him reinstated at DT and resume the, ahem, debate over there.

Chickenman, over and out.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 30th, 2014 at 8:01:20 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Yes, dead people for one.

Quote:

No, it makes liberals look like fools because EVERYONE HAS ID OR CAN EASILY GET ONE! This has been proven over and over and over yet liberals still think there is voter suppression going on when there is no proof of this.

If my wallet gets stolen and my my documentation proving I am a USA citizen is stolen. Bottom line is I cant vote.
I am an American Citizen not born in this country.
My documentation is stolen, I am screwed. I cannot vote due to laws you favor.

Any normal person keeps their birth certificate or naturalization papers at home in a strongbox so their life is not "lost" if their wallet is.

Voter ID is just smart, common sense policy. The only reason to be against it is to enable voter fraud, which we saw several cases of in 2008 and 2012. Who knows how much may be going on.

No ID? too bad, you do not get to vote along with the dozens of other things you cannot do. Boo hoo hoo.
  • Jump to: