Thread Rating:

steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
April 19th, 2013 at 6:13:37 AM permalink
I don't know if this table will paste correctly, but here it goes. None of the picks have been sold. As I stated at the beginning, I do not trade. These are long term investments.

Symbol Time & Price Change Volume Shares Mkt Value Day's Val Chg & % Price Paid Gain & % Gain Annualized Gain
SIMG Apr 18 4.68 - 0 1,500 $7,020.00 - - 4.61 up $97.00 up 1.40% 5.01%
CKSW Apr 18 7.02 - 0 1,000 $7,020.00 - - 8.04 down $1,028.00 down 12.77% -21.39%
OPTR Apr 18 14.86 - 0 571 $8,485.06 - - 14 up $483.06 up 6.04% 10.64%
Total $22,525.06 down $447.94 down 1.95%

In summary, SIMG revenues look to continue to expand. I would expect it to be a 20% grower for quite a while and the selling price will eventually reflect that.
CKSW has certainly taken it on the chin lately. Mostly due to their investing heavily in expanding their sales team. This type of investment precedes the sales gains that it is meant to bring. When the sales gains come, the price will move up considerably. Lastly, I continue to believe that OPTR will be acquired by someone. They have publicized that possibility. I now would look for a price paid in the $17-$18 area.

Lastly, I will add another pick today. It is SVA. A Chinese pharmaceutical company whose products are vaccines. Their most recent financials show a 150% gain in their current product sales (this excludes the one time sales gains made to the Chinese government). This is very much a micro-cap that I believe will become China's largest vaccine supplier. It will be held long term with one possible exception and that is an event that may, on a short term basis temporarily drive the price into double digit territory. That event is current hype over a new strain of bird flu. If that should happen, I will exit. If it does not then, in time, it will provide awfully nice returns.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
April 23rd, 2013 at 10:55:22 AM permalink
Since I dumped the Nokia and bought TSLA and SCTY, I've almost made up all that I lost with Nokia...almost.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
April 25th, 2013 at 5:57:49 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Since I dumped the Nokia and bought TSLA and SCTY, I've almost made up all that I lost with Nokia...almost.

Today I broke even and then some.
On a hunch, yesterday, I bought 5 IGT July 17 Calls at $0.95. They've been having some board member and stock holder troubles and were under some pressure to report a good quarter. They reported a good quarter today! After hours trading, the stock got as high as $18.

Las Vegas isn't the only place I gamble :)
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
  • Threads: 14
April 26th, 2013 at 5:14:23 AM permalink

Today I broke even and then some.
On a hunch, yesterday, I bought 5 IGT July 17 Calls at $0.95. They've been having some board member and stock holder troubles and were under some pressure to report a good quarter. They reported a good quarter today! After hours trading, the stock got as high as $18.

Las Vegas isn't the only place I gamble :)

No, it's not... :)

On some levels, especially in a Bull Market, it can be sooo easy: short puts and profit if a stock stays the same or rises for example. Or buy calls with a positive catalyst expectation that has a reasonable chance of occurring.

One thing I've been frustrated by is the level of manipulation that can sometimes throw a wrench into these short-term trades: when you actually are "right" about your assumption but things go South based on false information. While I'm not one to scream "more regulation", lately I just shake my head at what's been going on with a few securities I own...

Good "call" on IGT!
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
April 26th, 2013 at 6:48:26 AM permalink
Quote: TheBigPaybak

No, it's not... :)

On some levels, especially in a Bull Market, it can be sooo easy: short puts and profit if a stock stays the same or rises for example. Or buy calls with a positive catalyst expectation that has a reasonable chance of occurring.

One thing I've been frustrated by is the level of manipulation that can sometimes throw a wrench into these short-term trades: when you actually are "right" about your assumption but things go South based on false information. While I'm not one to scream "more regulation", lately I just shake my head at what's been going on with a few securities I own...

Good "call" on IGT!

My option is still making money barely, but I have until July expiration to make a decision. I'm going to hold it for greed purposes.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
April 29th, 2013 at 8:29:05 PM permalink

Today was a very good day!
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
  • Threads: 14
April 30th, 2013 at 6:00:01 AM permalink

Today was a very good day!

It's nice to have good days, isn't it? :)

I can't complain either: both of my more heavily watched securities that have been subject to manipulation through false articles have been breaking through those false claims. Which is especially good for BBRY as part of my position is short-term! Up again in pre-market, hopefully through 16 today with pain for the Shorts!
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
April 30th, 2013 at 6:50:41 AM permalink
Quote: TheBigPaybak

It's nice to have good days, isn't it? :)

I can't complain either: both of my more heavily watched securities that have been subject to manipulation through false articles have been breaking through those false claims. Which is especially good for BBRY as part of my position is short-term! Up again in pre-market, hopefully through 16 today with pain for the Shorts!

Nice gains at the open for both of us!! Timing is everything though. I want to lock in my gain but the put options are priced so poorly that it would make more sense to sell the stock and watch them gain another $10 before feeling bad about it.
steeldco
steeldco
April 30th, 2013 at 2:49:30 PM permalink
Just an update on this bird flu that I had previously mentioned as related to my recommendation of stock symbol SVA. Stock picking aside, it seems to be a rather scary event that is in process. You can look it up in Wikipedia, but so far it looks like it is a killer virus to the tune of around 20%. Here's a couple of excerpts from it, a couple of quotes from a Mike Coston of the "Avian Flu Diary", and a paper entitled " Chinese Science Bulletin: Early H7N9 Risk Analysis".

"If this paper is accurate, we are all in for the duration. The authors, who appear to be major influenza experts, have drawn on the first 91 cases of H7N9 to project where it might go. Maybe other experts will demolish their conclusions; I certainly hope so.

The paper was submitted to Chinese Science Bulletin on April 11 and accepted on April 23. Less than two months after the first Mr. Li fell ill in Shanghai, the team assessed the cases so far. They offered a formula for judging the severity of outbreaks, and defined the outbreak as Grade III (severe).

Here's what clinched it for me: They predicted that it would become a Grade IV (very severe) outbreak by the end of April, when the case numbers would exceed 100. And so they have."

Further....."The eighth argument arrives like a conviction for a capital offence:

Eighthly, the probable long existence of the H7N9 virus in humans will provide the driving force to the virus to adapt to humans through mutations. The virus may thus obtain human-to-human transmission, and may spark a pandemic influenza thereafter. The possible pandemic should likely be very dangerous with the consideration that the virus has showed highly pathogenicity in the first 91 cases.

The paper goes on to call for "forceful scientific measures," ranging from vaccine production to replacement of much of China's food distribution system"

I shudder to think what occurs if this does mutate to being able to spread from human to human. There are some who believe that it has. I do not see the evidence. Let's all hope that they are wrong in their assessment.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
steeldco
steeldco
April 30th, 2013 at 2:52:40 PM permalink
This from the WHO (World Health Organization) website:

"Influenza A(H7N9) is one of a subgroup of influenza viruses that normally circulate among birds. Until recently, this virus had not been seen in people. However, human infections have now been detected.

As yet, there is limited information about the scope of the disease the virus causes and about the source of exposure. The disease is of concern because most patients have been severely ill. There is no indication thus far that it can be transmitted between people, but both animal-to-human and human-to-human routes of transmission are being actively investigated."

• Jump to: