Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
July 3rd, 2020 at 2:48:57 AM permalink
the East Coast beaches do not give you the beauty you get from Caribbean beaches - white sand, blue water, blue sky

until you get down to Miami and even more so Key West - there you do get the feeling of the Caribbean beauty

I don't know enough about the West Coast beaches to compare them
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
July 3rd, 2020 at 7:09:44 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

the East Coast beaches do not give you the beauty you get from Caribbean beaches - white sand, blue water, blue sky

until you get down to Miami and even more so Key West - there you do get the feeling of the Caribbean beauty

I don't know enough about the West Coast beaches to compare them

The west coast beaches are similar to the east coast beaches until you get down to the San Diego are a. The beaches there are a combination of South Carolina and Florida beaches,

I just got a flight alert for $282 roundtrip flights to St. Kitts from Las Vegas. I am going to look into it because I miss the nice beaches. We usually go to St.Martin every year but our trip this year was cancelled due to Covid.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 3rd, 2020 at 9:59:15 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am going to look into it because I miss the nice beaches.

I've never been able to figure
beaches out. Everybody wants
to go there, but when you
get there, you're miserable.

It's hot, the sun is punishing,
the sand is scorching, the view
is boring to the point of headache.
Nothing more mundane than a
view of solid blue ocean, yawn.
I lived in Hawaii for 6 months
and was bored with the ocean
the first day. Don't get the appeal
of beaches, never will.

This could be July anywhere, I don't
get it. Explain it to me.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
July 3rd, 2020 at 10:57:00 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I'

This could be July anywhere, I don't
get it. Explain it to me.

That looks nothing like the beaches I go to. There are many days when the wife and I are the first and only people on the beach.

EvenBob
EvenBob
July 3rd, 2020 at 11:18:10 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

That looks nothing like the beaches I go to. There are many days when the wife and I are the first and only people on the beach.

Even worse, you can't even people
watch. Hot sand, hot sun, boring
blue water. Sand gets in everything,
in the food, between your toes, up
your anal groove. Even as a kid I
hated it. I'm not trying to be obtuse,
this is a life mystery for me. I had
a GF in Santa Barbara who made me
go with her to the beach so she could
tan. All she did was piss and whine the
whole time we were there. The heat,
the flies, the glare. Beach to me equals
misery. Does anybody over the age of
10 ever look like they're having a good
time at 'the beach'? They all look miserable.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 3rd, 2020 at 12:26:58 PM permalink

Even worse, you can't even people
watch. Hot sand, hot sun, boring
blue water. Sand gets in everything,
in the food, between your toes, up
your anal groove. Even as a kid I
hated it. I'm not trying to be obtuse,
this is a life mystery for me. I had
a GF in Santa Barbara who made me
go with her to the beach so she could
tan. All she did was piss and whine the
whole time we were there. The heat,
the flies, the glare. Beach to me equals
misery. Does anybody over the age of
10 ever look like they're having a good
time at 'the beach'? They all look miserable.

One thing I did hate was slathering on suntan lotion. But I can't go without it very long -- and it's generally a mistake if I forego it. The stuff we had when I was a kid was greasy and messy, and despite the label, often stung your eyes.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 3rd, 2020 at 12:41:20 PM permalink
I also don't like lying in the sand in the extreme heat, even with an umbrella

but here are the great things about the beach for me:

the smell of the ocean

the ocean breeze coming thru your window when you're sleeping - your sleep is much deeper - or even if your just walking you can enjoy the breeze

the beauty of the ocean and the surroundings especially when you're in a place where it's not so crowded - ocean sunsets are especially beautiful

the sense of laziness about it all - you're not there to accomplish anything - you're just there to be lazy and enjoy

the coolness of the water if you're hot and want to swim or wade in - I don't agree with EB's comment that the water is warm on east coast beaches

being around other people who are obviously enjoying their surroundings and seem much less stressed
I recently noticed at a beach venue that the % of people on their smartphones was way, way less compared to where I live

and of course, the fabulous looking ladies strutting their stuff in their bikinis
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 3rd, 2020 at 12:57:23 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

One thing I did hate was slathering on suntan lotion. .

OMG, I forgot about the stink
of suntan lotion. The smell
makes me want to upchuck.
It also immediately reminds
me of how much I hate the
beach. LOL I remember once
I went with the GF and didn't
put any on my feet. I ended
up with a golfball sized blister
on my ankle I had to go to ER
for. Love that beach.

I lived blocks from the beach
in Santa Barbara. No locals
ever went there, why would we.
Boring...
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 3rd, 2020 at 2:50:09 PM permalink
At least the beaches in these photos are sandy. Here in Washington State, all the ocean beaches are rocky shorelines completely covered in oysters and mussels. Only an idiot would walk on these beaches in bare feet. The oyster shells can slice through thin-soled shoes like a razor. And imagine the stink at low tide in the sun... like rotting seaweed and dead fish. If the idea of free mussels and oysters picked off the ground is appealing, finding a single living oyster like you get in a restaurant is rare. They are cemented together with stones and debris in lumps the size of cantaloupes. Mussels attach themselves to boulders with their "beards", and pulling out the beard kills them, so enjoy the smelly drive home amid the mussel corpses. Better to pay the $4/dozen for clean ones from a mussel farm.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 3rd, 2020 at 4:35:56 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

And imagine the stink at low tide

OMG, I forgot about the stink! You
never know when you go to the
beach how bad the stench will
be that day. At times it was so bad
we had to leave. I lived 100 ft from
the ocean in Hawaii, it was 100 ft
to the water from my patio. At
times the smell was so bad we had
to keep the windows closed.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 7th, 2020 at 2:39:32 AM permalink
two of the detective shows from back in the day that I liked:

𝘗𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘎𝘶𝘯𝘯 - 𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘦𝘴

and 𝘔𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘹 - Mannix's thing was when you got his main gun he had another gun tied to his leg with a holster over his shoe

TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
July 7th, 2020 at 8:50:15 AM permalink
What a coincidence! I've been watching Peter Gunn recently (it's available on Amazon Prime). I wouldn't say he "always got the babes" as he was pretty loyal to his main squeeze Edie. The best part of the show IMHO was Herschel Bernardi as Lt Jacoby
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 7th, 2020 at 8:55:13 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

What a coincidence! I've been watching Peter Gunn recently (it's available on Amazon Prime). I wouldn't say he "always got the babes" as he was pretty loyal to his main squeeze Edie. The best part of the show IMHO was Herschel Bernardi as Lt Jacoby

there's a few free episodes on YT including the 1967 sequel movie - for the penny pinchers like me
I didn't remember it all that well - I was a little kid when it came out - I mainly remember that he was super cool
I just watched the very first episode - it was pretty good - and pretty dark for 1958

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=peter+gunn+full+episodes
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
July 7th, 2020 at 9:16:06 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

The only think I know about Peter Gunn is that the music is the Spy Hunter video game theme.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
rxwine
rxwine
July 7th, 2020 at 9:39:59 AM permalink

and 𝘔𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘹 - Mannix's thing was when you got his main gun he had another gun tied to his leg with a holster over his shoe

Actor Mike Connors' real name. Probably hard to guess.

Krekor Ohanian
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Cqlddbakc
Cqlddbakc
  • Threads: 0
July 7th, 2020 at 10:28:07 AM permalink
I remember when Coronavirus wasn't a thing yet. Good times. Very good times.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
July 7th, 2020 at 10:29:03 AM permalink
Quote: Cqlddbakc

I remember when Coronavirus wasn't a thing yet. Good times. Very good times.

Yeah. Back then the worst things we had to worry about were sock puppets.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
July 7th, 2020 at 10:40:18 AM permalink
It is hard to believe pets.com ceased operations almost 20 years ago.
Their sockpuppet mascot was funny in commercials:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 7th, 2020 at 1:41:33 PM permalink

two of the detective shows from back in the day that I liked:

𝘗𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘎𝘶𝘯𝘯 - 𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘦𝘴

Mannix is on Metv every night.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 12th, 2020 at 2:04:27 PM permalink
the Untouchables tv show from back in the day is on H&I tonight and maybe other Sunday nights
it was a pretty good show IMO
much better than the 80s movie again IMO

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 12, 2020
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 12th, 2020 at 2:38:39 PM permalink

the Untouchables tv show from back in the day is on H&I tonight and maybe other Sunday nights
it was a pretty good show IMO
much better than the 80s movie again IMO

It was in B/W, not color.

billryan
billryan
July 13th, 2020 at 7:18:04 AM permalink
In 1975/76, when calculators were first available to the general public, there were all sorts of tricks you could perform on them. I remember if you punched in certain numbers, it would spell out my name.
There was one long series of calculations, where you would ask a question and the person would enter the answer, then multiply by the next answer and finally you'd do one last action, turn the calculator upside down and the answer would be - Shell oil.
Anyone remember the questions that got you that answer?
If I recall correctly, the prices of calculators dropped from around $250 to under $20 in not much more than a year.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
July 13th, 2020 at 9:47:08 AM permalink
I think calculators were dominated by Texas Instruments at that time. I don’t remember the cost, but they weren’t real cheap.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 13th, 2020 at 11:02:06 AM permalink
please delete
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 13th, 2020 at 11:14:15 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

In 1975/76, when calculators were first available to the general public, there were all sorts of tricks you could perform on them. I remember if you punched in certain numbers, it would spell out my name.
There was one long series of calculations, where you would ask a question and the person would enter the answer, then multiply by the next answer and finally you'd do one last action, turn the calculator upside down and the answer would be - Shell oil.
Anyone remember the questions that got you that answer?
If I recall correctly, the prices of calculators dropped from around $250 to under $20 in not much more than a year.

I remember a guy who had one of the first desktop calculators by Texas Instruments. All it did was add,multiply, divide etc. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't calculate a square root, for example. The display was a bunch of zeroes with a cross in the middle and to show a number some of the lines lit up in the crossed zero, if you can picture that. The decimal point was fixed in one place.

I remember he said it cost $100, and that was around 1972 or 73 I'd guess.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
July 13th, 2020 at 12:11:21 PM permalink
I think the real breakthrough came with the TI-30 calculator. We got one in 1978 and it was incredibly powerful and only $25.

billryan
billryan
July 14th, 2020 at 8:47:42 AM permalink
In my house, kids got three major Christmas presents, as well as minor ones and a stocking full of smaller ones. My older sister got a TI calculator as a major gift one year, and I got my first calculator two years later, as a stocking stuffer.
I'm talking here about handheld ones, not the desktop ones.
My Aunt had a calculating machine that weighed about thirty pounds that we all enjoyed playing with when she first got it.
She also had the first unabridged dictionary I ever saw and for some reason, that gave us hours of entertainment. Finding a word that starts with Q but has no U was a big thing.
My Aunt was also the first person I knew with two, yes two, phones, one of which was a Princess phone. To this day, I never understood how she got her phone number- 464-5000. I've never seen another residential account that ended in three zeroes, although I'm sure they exist.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 14th, 2020 at 9:52:27 AM permalink
My dad got a TI calculator
in the early 70's that only
did the basics. We were
absolutely fascinated by
the thing, that's how tech
savvy we weren't. Then
Pong came out and we
thought we were in an
ep of Star Trek..
rxwine
rxwine
July 14th, 2020 at 10:02:51 AM permalink

. To this day, I never understood how she got her phone number- 464-5000. I've never seen another residential account that ended in three zeroes, although I'm sure they exist.

I'm sure that was before businesses started aiming to get easy to remember numbers.

Reminds me, in the early days of the Internet when you could still pick up very common names for your dot.com I knew a few people who had their domain scooped out from under them, because they didn't keep on top of renewing it.
billryan
billryan
July 14th, 2020 at 2:32:11 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I'm sure that was before businesses started aiming to get easy to remember numbers.

Reminds me, in the early days of the Internet when you could still pick up very common names for your dot.com I knew a few people who had their domain scooped out from under them, because they didn't keep on top of renewing it.

She wasn't that old. This was also in the days that all of NYC was in the 212 area code. Her biggest peeve was that Ideal Toy had 464-4000 and she would get a few phone calls a week.
Last edited by: billryan on Jul 14, 2020
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 14th, 2020 at 4:06:56 PM permalink
these are 3 comics from back in the day that I liked a lot
Henry was a little mute boy who got into all kinds of stuff

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 15th, 2020 at 3:18:07 PM permalink
men's magazines of the 60s before Playboy dominated the market
me and my buddies at 12 years of age used to flip thru them at the local drugstore
until the Manager shooed us away
we usually got some good looks before we got bounced..............................................................................😄

actually I guess the one priced at $.10 - "Snap" - must be from the 50s or maybe even the 40s - that's too low a price for the 60s

BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
  • Threads: 33
July 15th, 2020 at 4:25:26 PM permalink

me and my buddies at 12 years of age used to flip thru them at the local drugstore
we usually got some good looks before we got bounced..............................................................................😄

actually I guess the one priced at $.10 - "Snap" - must be from the 50s or maybe even the 40s - that's too low a price for the 60s

Ooh La La? OOH LA LA?!?!?
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2020 at 8:49:18 PM permalink

They were always in the drug
store with all the paperbacks
with the racy covers. We would
gawk at them in the late 50's
until the pharmacist/owner
came from behind the counter
and pushed us to the comic
book section. He had the mags
there because they were huge
sellers, he couldn't afford not
to carry them. They were a joke
by today's standards, the women
were as old as our mothers. In
the 50's sex was seen as filthy and
dirty and kids could not be exposed
to it and come out with a clean
mind. A strange time to live in.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
DRich
July 15th, 2020 at 10:00:58 PM permalink
I figured we were kind of poor because my parents had to sleep in the same bed, unlike all the couples on tv.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2020 at 10:09:27 PM permalink

I figured we were kind of poor because my parents had to sleep in the same bed, unlike all the couples on tv.

We were very lower middle class.
Both parents worked. But we
wanted for nothing, had two
cars, and it never occurred to
me we had no money. Nobody
ever talked about it. All our
neighbors were the same.

If you worked on your own
car, and everybody did, cars
in the 60's were very cheap.
You could get one for $50
that would last a couple of
years if you took care of
it. My dad liked old Cadillac's.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 18th, 2020 at 3:13:45 AM permalink
"The Adventures of Superman"

this was absolutely my favorite show as a little kid
actually the show began before I was born, but was put into syndication and replayed thru the 60s
the special effects were lame by today's standards
even for back then they weren't believable - even his costume is not impressive - pretty raggedy
but it was the characters that made the show
the star, George Reeves, died by gunshot in L.A. in his mansion under mysterious circumstances

replays of the old show in black and white are shown on the network H&I on some mornings
billryan
billryan
July 18th, 2020 at 7:32:24 AM permalink

"The Adventures of Superman"

this was absolutely my favorite show as a little kid
actually the show began before I was born, but was put into syndication and replayed thru the 60s
the special effects were lame by today's standards
even for back then they weren't believable - even his costume is not impressive - pretty raggedy
but it was the characters that made the show
the star, George Reeves, died by gunshot in L.A. in his mansion under mysterious circumstances

replays of the old show in black and white are shown on the network H&I on some mornings

Loved the show as a kid. It was just about the only one of "my shows" that was in color.

In almost every episode, Superman stands there, as bad guys shoot him in the chest. The bullets bounce off of him but when the villain throws their now empty gun at him, he ducks.

i love the episode of I Love Lucy where George Reeves plays his Superman character
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2020 at 10:26:47 AM permalink
Remember when Top 40 songs
told stories? This was a huge
hit in 1971, stupidest song
ever written. It was also a hit
in 1955. The 60's car culture
was still very much alive in 71.
This was #9 on Billboards list
and we heard it a couple times
an hour. The orig song was
about a 1930 Model A with
a 1948 Lincoln motor in it.
Hard to believe we had a time
when a song like this was a
giant hit.

Here's the 55 version:

billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2020 at 12:35:47 PM permalink
When Casey Kasim was doing the Top Forty on syndicated radio, he wouldn't play songs with drug references. In the mid-1970s, Ringo Starr had a surprise hit with the No,No song, which talked about getting high and doing cocaine. Even though the singer says no to the drugs, Casey would not play it on the air. As it became a big hit and cracked the Top Ten, Casey decided to play the B side of the single.
So while the No, No song was played almost hourly on thousands of radio stations, it never made it to America's Top Forty, and Snookeroo( the B side) was listed as one of the top five songs of the year.
I saw Commander Cody twice. The first time was in a concert hall with traditional seating and the show was okay. The next time was in a converted bingo hall with no seats and the audience was rocking and dancing the whole show.
Top Forty radio in the early 70s was quite the mish-mosh. Neil Young and the Captain and Tenille competed for airplay. An on air news commentary from a Canadian about the state of America became a top forty hit, as did the theme songs from Hawaii Five-O, and Quentins Theme, from Dark Shadows. A song about truckers spawned a hit, a movie,1 and a tv show, and Beethoven had two top forty hits.
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
July 20th, 2020 at 3:34:44 PM permalink

Remember when Top 40 songs
told stories? This was a huge
hit in 1971, stupidest song
ever written. It was also a hit
in 1955. The 60's car culture
was still very much alive in 71.
This was #9 on Billboards list
and we heard it a couple times
an hour. The orig song was
about a 1930 Model A with
a 1948 Lincoln motor in it.
Hard to believe we had a time
when a song like this was a
giant hit.

Here's the 55 version:

rxwine
rxwine
July 20th, 2020 at 5:32:53 PM permalink

Loved the show as a kid. It was just about the only one of "my shows" that was in color.

In almost every episode, Superman stands there, as bad guys shoot him in the chest. The bullets bounce off of him but when the villain throws their now empty gun at him, he ducks.

i love the episode of I Love Lucy where George Reeves plays his Superman character

I really liked the show, and remember later looking forward to TV Batman. But I was too old to appreciate the campy take, with POW and KABLAAM on the screen. Yet not old enough to appreciate it either.
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2020 at 9:46:06 PM permalink
Before JC recorded that song, a New York bank produced what they called the AnyCar. They made several different ones, each made of different cars. I saw one at a Met game and another one at the Auto Show. I want to say the first one was made from 22 different models. It was a publicity stunt and the cars were featured in many tv commercials, advertising that their bank would give a loan on any car.
The AnyCar I saw at the Met game had a Volkswagon engine and a Rolls Royce grill. Since it was a rear engine, that left the front area behind the grill empty, so they tricked out a riding lawn mower and rigged the grill to detach from the car. The car did two laps around the field and then , to everyone's surprise, the front hood opened and the riding mower, driven by a little feller who'd been in the compartment the whole time took a victory lap.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 30th, 2020 at 11:03:17 AM permalink
In the 50's a major part of every
day was home delivery. Milk
and cream and cottage cheese
and orange juice was delivered
every morning. Fresh bread too.
We had two editions of the
newspaper delivered twice a day.
All summer long vendors on
bicycle ice cream vehicles would
sell all kinds of frozen stuff. There
were WWI vets on 3 wheeled bikes
that sold everything under the sun
to housewives. Needle and thread,
buttons, shoelaces, bandana's, kitchen
matches, pot holders, cigarettes,
lighter fluid, and much more.

Who would have thought we would
ever see a resurgence of home
delivery. I can't sit on the front
porch for 20 min without seeing
several delivery vehicles. Prime,
UPS, FedEx, Home Depot, USPS,
DHS. There's even a company
called Schwann that cruises around
selling flash frozen products.
The 50's reborn.
USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
July 30th, 2020 at 4:23:37 PM permalink
Can someone help me? I just want to post my own form questions but I don't know how.
Math is the only true form of knowledge
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 31st, 2020 at 2:32:24 AM permalink
𝘨𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘺 𝘶𝘱 𝘨𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘺 𝘶𝘱 409

𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘣𝘳𝘢 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘴𝘩𝘶𝘵 '𝘦𝘮 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯
it shut down a stingray................WOW!!!

EvenBob
EvenBob
July 31st, 2020 at 9:38:08 AM permalink

𝘨𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘺 𝘶𝘱 𝘨𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘺 𝘶𝘱 409

If you weren't there it's impossible
to grasp how big the car culture
was in the 60's. On the radio, in
TV and movies. Every weekend, like
in the movie American Graffiti, we
would ride the 'circuit' downtown
showing off our cars and hooking
up. We had drag races in the country
at midnight. We rode around in 57
Chevy's and 55 Fords throwing empty
beer bottles at stop signs. It was
wonderful.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 31st, 2020 at 10:35:58 AM permalink
this is great American poetry - beats the hell out of Robert Frost....................(-:}

Declining numbers at an even rate
(Oooo moving out now)
At the count of one we both accelerate
(Oooo moving out now)
My Stingray is light the slicks are starting to spin
(Oooo moving out now)
But the four-thirteen's really digging in
(Oooo moving out now)
Got to be cool now, power shift - here we go

Superstock Dart is winding out in low
But my fuel injected Stingray's really starting to go
To get the traction I'm riding the clutch