Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 8th, 2019 at 11:56:25 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

You might be confusing the personal insult rule with the ethnic slur rule.

"Jap Car" was always common where I came from. So was "riceburner."

Again, if the car is upset, let it complain.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 8th, 2019 at 12:03:12 PM permalink
Looks like the rules allow slurs with objects. Loophole alert.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 8th, 2019 at 12:32:59 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Ethnic slurs are against forum rules.

So calling someone from Poland a 'Pole'
or Britain a 'Brit' or Jewish a 'Jew', those
are slurs? Since when.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 8th, 2019 at 12:35:59 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I do not understand the attraction of those older cars.

You had to grow up with them. Many
were considered super cool in the 50's
and 60's, there was a car mania you
can't comprehend today. When I was
a teen all guys talked about were cars
and engines.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 8th, 2019 at 12:51:19 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Looks like the rules allow slurs with objects. Loophole alert.

No loophole. I and mine use "Jap bike" all the time and I can assure you it has nothing to do with any peoples. It's just that "Japanese motorcycle" is akin to saying "horseless carriage", so a simple abbreviation is in order. Why use many word when few word do trick?

Quote: DRich

I do not understand the attraction of those older cars. I was thinking maybe because I was just after that generation but then I don't think any genre of cars are attractive.

Oh you don't, do ya?

I'll give you a moment to clean up lol

I'm looking for a salvage boat (big car, not vessel). Something like a '76 Bonneville, or any of the 60's (big) versions of the muscle cars (Charger/Goat/Chevelle). I figure I'm gonna need a project if the race tracks don't open back up, and I can't think of any better use for my rotting truck than to create a Goddess.

Take off the trunk lid and boom. Bed for my wheeler. Just needs side pipes...
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
October 8th, 2019 at 12:55:45 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Since the car is not a forum member I do not see the problem. If the car posts a complaint then we could take it under consideration.

Non-sequitur. I said nothing about the car being a forum member.

Quote:

Rule 18: Hate Speech: While we try to promote free speech as much as we can, racial slurs, vulgar terminology or advocating violence against any person or group of people are not welcome. (Added 1/10/2019)

"Jap Car" was always common where I came from. So was "riceburner."

The N-word was common at one point, too. Does that mean we're allowed to say it in the forum? Or is it only okay if I'm referring to an "N-word car?"

It's funny you posted a picture of a snowflake because you and EB seem to be the ones getting offended by someone pointing out outdated and vulgar terminology that is clearly against forum rules.

Quote: EvenBob

So calling someone from Poland a 'Pole'
or Britain a 'Brit' or Jewish a 'Jew', those
are slurs? Since when.

I never said anything about Poles, Brits, or Jews, and "Jap" has been a slur since AT LEAST the 1960's so you should be well aware of its derogatory nature.

If the mods don't have a problem with the word "Jap" then I will withdraw my complaint.

EDIT: Okay. Well, I guess at least one mod doesn't have a problem with it. This was posted as I was still writing my comment:

Quote: Face

No loophole. I and mine use "Jap bike" all the time and I can assure you it has nothing to do with any peoples. It's just that "Japanese motorcycle" is akin to saying "horseless carriage", so a simple abbreviation is in order. Why use many word when few word do trick?

I'll just leave this here and see my way out of the thread to join in some other topics of discussion. If there's any Japanese members here maybe they can weigh in. Good day, gentlemen (and ladies).

Quote:

Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese". Today, it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term very controversial or extremely offensive, even when used as an abbreviation after the events of the internment of Japanese Americans.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2] Nisei veterans who served in World War II were shunned with signs that read "No Japs Allowed" and "No Japs Wanted", denied service in shops and restaurants, and had their homes and property vandalized.

In the United Kingdom, the word Japanese is the preferred usage. The word Jap and its plural Japs has over time come to be considered derogatory.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 8th, 2019 at 1:03:58 PM permalink

Non-sequitur. I said nothing about the car being a forum member.

"No loophole. I and mine use "Jap bike" all the time and I can assure you it has nothing to do with any peoples. It's just that "Japanese motorcycle" is akin to saying "horseless carriage", so a simple abbreviation is in order." Face
Face
Administrator
Face
October 8th, 2019 at 1:13:22 PM permalink

If the mods don't have a problem with the word "Jap" then I will withdraw my complaint.

Could be age, but I've never heard "Jap" used as a slur outside of ancient movies depicting the War. Not saying I'm right, but my personal experiences are filled with this usage as nothing more than an abbreviation. Sometimes a disparaging abbreviation, sure (Harley owners are mostly tw@s ;)) but they're disparaging the object, not the culture.

I liken it to "Yank". Sure, might have caused fisticuffs in 1816, but now it's just a placeholder. Yank instead of American. Seems much more convenience than malice.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
October 8th, 2019 at 1:18:41 PM permalink

Ethnic slurs are against forum rules.

This is why the forum is wrecked now.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 8th, 2019 at 1:19:19 PM permalink

Could be age, but I've never heard "Jap" used as a slur outside of ancient movies depicting the War. Not saying I'm right, but my personal experiences are filled with this usage as nothing more than an abbreviation. Sometimes a disparaging abbreviation, sure (Harley owners are mostly tw@s ;)) but they're disparaging the object, not the culture.

I liken it to "Yank". Sure, might have caused fisticuffs in 1816, but now it's just a placeholder. Yank instead of American. Seems much more convenience than malice.

I edited my comment after I saw your response. I disagree with your assessment, but you're one of the ones in charge around here so it appears the matter is settled.

Quote: MaxPen

I know!! So many rule violations! Toootally sucks.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 8th, 2019 at 1:42:31 PM permalink
Bruno Sammartino

the 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐏𝐔𝐓𝐄𝐃 WWF Champion for a great many years

per Wikipedia:

"In 1959, (before becoming a pro wrestler) Sammartino set a world record in the bench press with a lift of 565 pounds, done without elbow or wrist wraps. When he brought the bar down, he did not bounce it off his chest, but set it there for two seconds before attempting the press."

America is the only place in the world where a lot of people believe that pro wrestling is real and the moon landing was faked

Please don't feed the trolls
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
October 8th, 2019 at 1:51:01 PM permalink

T-dubs is woke, or something.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 8th, 2019 at 2:01:00 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

T-dubs is woke, or something.

I'm not even sure what "woke" means. Some internet trend the kids are into nowadays.
rxwine
rxwine
October 8th, 2019 at 2:05:58 PM permalink

I'm not even sure what "woke" means. Some internet trend the kids are into nowadays.

Probably "red pill" stuff.

Matirx related.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2019 at 2:06:34 PM permalink

You had to grow up with them. Many
were considered super cool in the 50's
and 60's, there was a car mania you
can't comprehend today. When I was
a teen all guys talked about were cars
and engines.

Cars used to be worth knowing. I used to be one of those guys who could tell you all about almost any stat. When they made this or that minor change. Remember when you would spend all day Saturday detailing your car? And so did half the neighborhood! Cars used to demand more attention. Remember when after a trip of 150 miles on the highway you had to check the oil? Usually had to add some?

Ever hear the joke that the Brits didn't make computers because they could not get them to leak oil? (oh no, was that a slur? "Brit?")

Today cars are appliances. Car names are SKUs. I don't even remember the engine I have in mine.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2019 at 2:11:04 PM permalink

I know!! So many rule violations! Toootally sucks.

I always find that when you do not wait to be offended you enjoy life, and forums, much more.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 8th, 2019 at 2:11:32 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Probably "red pill" stuff.

Matirx related.

I haven't seen that movie in 20 years. Is the red pill the good one or the bad one?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2019 at 2:15:48 PM permalink

I haven't seen that movie in 20 years. Is the red pill the good one or the bad one?

Depends on if you want to be a sheep or not.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 8th, 2019 at 2:19:15 PM permalink

Depends on if you want to be a sheep or not.

I see.

Well, they certainly don't use no Jap bikes in the Matrix:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2019 at 2:22:01 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Bruno Sammartino

the 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐏𝐔𝐓𝐄𝐃 WWF Champion for a great many years

per Wikipedia:

"In 1959, (before becoming a pro wrestler) Sammartino set a world record in the bench press with a lift of 565 pounds, done without elbow or wrist wraps. When he brought the bar down, he did not bounce it off his chest, but set it there for two seconds before attempting the press."

He was over without trying to be over.

As great on the mic as Ric Flair was in his day, Bruno was different. Even as an old man. He was on "Piper's Pit" and he just held his own without it looking like he was acting. He had a tone in his voice that said, "call me a wop again and you will be picking your teeth up off the floor you little punk." Piper was great, but he he always seemed to be over-selling. Bruno just came off like that guy at the end of the bar who doesn't bother anyone, but if you bother him watch out.

Bruno could have been champ and sold places out for years longer but even being fake, pro wrestling is hell on the body.

And yes, Piper called Bruno a wop. It set up a totally over match, though not as good as the pre-mania era when matches lasted 30-60 minutes as a main event.
Face
Administrator
Face
October 8th, 2019 at 2:49:46 PM permalink

I disagree with your assessment, but you're one of the ones in charge around here so it appears the matter is settled.

"Settled" is so... authoritarian lol. I appreciate you willing to leave it lie, but I do appreciate criticism where warranted. And I don't disagree with your definition... I suppose I'm just judging context and trying to toe the line between proper decorum and over moderation. We've had conversations similar to this over the years; I know several pages were dedicated to the phrase "I got gyped". On one hand, a common expression. On the other, an expression with its roots in disparaging a culture.

I dunno. Being a 90's kid, using "gay" as a universal disparagement is in my DNA. It's reflex. Can't speak for all, but I can speak for my entire region; even my gay friends say "That's gay" when something stupid happens. "Get that gay s#$% out of here" when a guy rolls in with a Bills flag... it's just how we talk, man. Gay and straight alike, has nothing to do with hate, it's just a phrase which, in context, may be classless but is not hateful. Same sentence when a Pride flag goes up? That's different. Context matters.

I've gone through the purge of '14 where we ruled via black and white letter of law. It's bad for everyone involved. Every Miata joke would be banned, because it's disparaging gays. Hick, redneck, hillbilly, all disparaging terms. Banned. I'm not from India; "Indian" is banned. And if something as (IMO) innocuous as "Jap car" goes, it all must follow. It gets dumb quick.

I just didn't want you think I was ignoring or otherwise enabling hate. It's rather a case of not seeing it that way. I've little ego invested in my decision making, so you're free, and no hard feelings, if you wanna run this up the ladder.
Face
Administrator
Face
October 8th, 2019 at 2:55:46 PM permalink

Cars used to be worth knowing.

Oh, they very much still are. Honda is still by far the easiest to wrench on yourself. Toyota and to some extent Ford as well, unless we're talking Ford engines (esp V-10). To change spark plugs, the directions include ...then remove cab from frame...! EU cars are generally a disaster. Germans are even starting to do away with dipsticks. Dipsticks! And their cheese aluminum pans oft have one time plugs. Oil change? Better have a pump, you have to take it out from the top. Unreal.

So yeah, still worth knowing. It's just the stuff worth knowing does not bring the joy it used to =/
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 8th, 2019 at 3:11:42 PM permalink
Duck and Cover

elementary school kids (including myself) were drilled to go under the desks if the siren sounded indicating a nuclear attack during the Cuban missile crisis of 1962.

like that desk was going to help me if a nuclear bomb hit nearby - I lived just one half mile from the DC border so we were at ground zero

throughout my whole life I've had disturbing daydreams about nuclear destruction because of that

TigerWu
TigerWu
October 8th, 2019 at 3:22:48 PM permalink

like that desk was going to help me if a nuclear bomb hit nearby - I lived just one half mile from the DC border so we were at ground zero

Duck and cover against a nuclear bomb sounds dumb if you don't think about it, but the point it is to protect you from flying debris and broken windows if you are close enough to the blast to have that happen, but far enough away where you are not immediately killed. It's obviously pointless if you are within the "kill radius," but it's also better than just sitting there and have a window blow out and shred you with glass and wood splinters.

When I was going through boot camp in the early 2000's they still taught us similar techniques if a nuclear blast were to go off nearby. If you're far enough away to not be immediately disintegrated, hey, might as well keep a low profile and protect your vitals and you might survive the initial blast and give yourself a chance to run away in a minute or two.

EDIT: Here's what the military is taught. Lay down on your stomach with your head pointed toward the blast with your hands over your genitals. Obviously pointless if you're at ground zero, but if you're several kilometers away or more, the low profile and your helmet will help protect you from flying debris.

OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
October 8th, 2019 at 3:26:41 PM permalink

I never said anything about Poles, Brits, or Jews, and "Jap" has been a slur since AT LEAST the 1960's so you should be well aware of its derogatory nature.

I'll wade in with my observation.
As a British person, I see no offence being called a Brit. It's an accepted abbreviation.
At the other end of the scale, it would be very offensive if I referred to a Pakistani person as a Paki, and that's certainly true since the 60s. I really don't know where Jap fits in on the offensiveness scale, especially in the USA.
I'm pretty confident that references to Jap Bike were not meant to be racist, but I'll personally avoid using that abbreviation in future. I respectfully ask all members and moderators to be mindful of unintended offensiveness of the term.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 8th, 2019 at 3:29:34 PM permalink

Oh, they very much still are. Honda is still by far the easiest to wrench on yourself.

Guys were very much brand loyal
when it came to cars. A GM guy
would never own a Ford. A Ford
guy would never own a MoPar.
And nobody would own a foreign
car. If you had a pit in your garage,
you had lots and lots of friends.

I knew a guy with a pit who owned
a 57 Merc. He had 55 gal drums of oil
delivered from Sears and changed
his oil every Saturday. He drove that
Merc for years and never had any
engine problems.

rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
OnceDear
October 8th, 2019 at 3:48:58 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

As a British person, I see no offence being called a Brit. It's an accepted abbreviation.
At the other end of the scale, it would be very offensive if I referred to a Pakistani person as a Paki, and that's certainly true since the 60s. I really don't know where Jap fits in on the offensiveness scale, especially in the USA.
I'm pretty confident that references to Jap Bike were not meant to be racist, but I'll personally avoid using that abbreviation in future. I respectfully ask all members and moderators to be mindful of unintended offensiveness of the term.

I guess polite society only exists in the world of guns because I call people what they wish to be called unless I want to be rude. I don't decide for them. If I get it different than someone expects I just make a correction.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2019 at 4:46:51 PM permalink

Oh, they very much still are. Honda is still by far the easiest to wrench on yourself. Toyota and to some extent Ford as well, unless we're talking Ford engines (esp V-10). To change spark plugs, the directions include ...then remove cab from frame...! EU cars are generally a disaster. Germans are even starting to do away with dipsticks. Dipsticks! And their cheese aluminum pans oft have one time plugs. Oil change? Better have a pump, you have to take it out from the top. Unreal.

So yeah, still worth knowing. It's just the stuff worth knowing does not bring the joy it used to =/

I swore off wrenching years back. When I nearly went broke in the 2000s I swore off caring much about my daily ride. I bought a Hyundai and after I did I found I was within 1 month of the median age of the average Hyundai buyer and my reason for choosing Hyundai, "I don't care about impressing, just want an affordable car" was the main reason people bought.

Since 2006 I have had payments a total of 80 months and the last 30 I could have paid cash but needed to keep my reserves up. I know people that will never be out from under payments. I like my way better.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 8th, 2019 at 4:53:49 PM permalink

Just don't say TR*MP.😂😂

TROMP
Face
Administrator
Face
October 8th, 2019 at 5:01:20 PM permalink

I swore off wrenching years back.

I can't quite afford that lol. Oil change, sure. Nowadays it's too cheap to justify the labor. But an issue like my bed and all the fuel lines? That would've been several hundred, not mention a possible issue of a corporate shop not releasing because it's not in road legal condition. That's a couple hundred dollars an hour, nevermind the hassle and wait. Free money, IMO.

My brakes went a month back, right? Damn NY... the caliper bolts were frozen. Shattered my 1/2 impact drive trying to free it, so had to shop it. Not only did they keep my core charge for the old calipers, it was a $1,300 job. If my gear didn't break, it's 8 bolts and $400 in parts. Done. Free Money.

Can get a lot of sugar for $700.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
SOOPOO
October 8th, 2019 at 6:20:55 PM permalink
I don't know how much it changed day to day life per se. But I just had a dentist visit and thank God for Anesthesia.

I remember reading about John Adams' daughter having a mastectomy without it. Yikes.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 9th, 2019 at 10:49:10 AM permalink
61 home runs in '61 to top the Babe - the last 2 weeks of the chase it was front page news all over the country
before the pill poppers and needle injectors disgraced the sport
making many of the records meaningless
yes, I do know that the number of games was less in Ruth's era

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 9th, 2019 at 3:57:28 PM permalink

before the pill poppers and needle injectors disgraced the sport

I thought it was the bookies and team owners who did that. Black socks because team owner was cheap. World Series fixed by the mob.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 9th, 2019 at 5:34:32 PM permalink

Since the car is not a forum member I do not see the problem. If the car posts a complaint then we could take it under consideration.

I see a problem in that at least several members here are Japanese or Asian. But I also think Jap can be considered as an abbreviation for Japanese in this limited context.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 10th, 2019 at 2:20:57 AM permalink
Greaser gangs in NYC Central Park - I'm estimating 1958

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 10, 2019
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 10th, 2019 at 9:45:22 AM permalink
Vegas I would guess about 1970

the 2nd pick I would guess around 1955

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2019 at 10:38:53 AM permalink

I would see those guys in the roller
rink bathroom in 1958, standing
in a line in front of the mirror
combing their hair. Vivid memory.

I stared at them because they were
14-15 and I was 9-10 and we didn't
have greasers in grade school. They
were like an alien race to me.
OnceDear
OnceDear
October 10th, 2019 at 11:01:58 AM permalink

I asked my barber for a DA. She shrugged and I tried to explain, saying it was like a Duck's Arse, that Rockers used to have. She had no clue. How about a bubble cut like Leo Sayer? Nope. totally blank. She said "You're making this up" so I said. OK. I'll have my usual No 2 all over.

Young whippersnapper? I don't know why I bother with a 20 something female hairdresser...
Oh... I remember now :) Does a good Eyebrow trim.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
rxwine
rxwine
October 10th, 2019 at 11:10:58 AM permalink
Looks like a style of leather jacket I’d still wear.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2019 at 11:35:28 AM permalink

Young whippersnapper? I don't know why I bother with a 20 something female hairdresser...

Here's a novel idea. Want a certain
haircut, show them a pic of what
you want. (I can't believe I had to
type all that)
OnceDear
OnceDear
October 10th, 2019 at 12:07:19 PM permalink

Here's a novel idea. Want a certain
haircut, show them a pic of what
you want. (I can't believe I had to
type all that)

Or take in a tennis ball.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
October 10th, 2019 at 1:12:52 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

That was probably the case in high school, but nobody cared in my neighborhood or in elementary or jr. high. But, yeah, we called them "K-Mart Cowboys."

And not just Levi's, they had to be 501 Button Fly! ;)

Correct, they had to be 501's and no irregular crap where they cut off the tag either. I was buying 501's until 2007 I still have them around somewhere.
I didn't know people were buying vintage jeans for outrageous prices in the multiple thousand-dollar range and it seems to be some big thing, especially with Asians.

Actually, it was 5th grade elementary when the kids would start with the styles and fads and making fun of others up until about the eighth grade. There wasn't too much of that going on in high school. People were mostly trying to do their own thing.

I had two or three pairs of Levis at a time that I would either die, Stone wash fade, or acid wash, then bleach completely white so it seemed like I had more than I did. Eventually one-to-many bleachings and they would just shred apart. And of course, you can't forget your Levi's jean jacket that was a must have as well. Eventually, I moved to a small no hick town and nobody give a crap what you wore, unless it was pink or had feathers.

FYI Jean jackets are becoming more popular again. I would say back in style, but I don't know that they ever really went out of style.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 10th, 2019 at 1:17:12 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

FYI Jean jackets are becoming more popular again. I would say back in style, but I don't know that they ever really went out of style.

Only burnouts wore them in my parts.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2019 at 1:19:17 PM permalink

I would see those guys in the roller
rink bathroom in 1958, standing
in a line in front of the mirror
combing their hair. Vivid memory.

I stared at them because they were
14-15 and I was 9-10 and we didn't
have greasers in grade school. They
were like an alien race to me.

Those guys terrified me. They were
hoods, punks, eventual HS drop outs.
They thought nothing about beating
the crap out of 10 year old kids. So
you avoided eye contact at all costs.
There really were Fonzies in the 50's
and they were jerks. They wore
horseshoe heel plates on their boots
so you could hear them coming.

Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 10th, 2019 at 1:52:14 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Correct, they had to be 501's and no irregular crap where they cut off the tag either. I was buying 501's until 2007 I still have them around somewhere.
I didn't know people were buying vintage jeans for outrageous prices in the multiple thousand-dollar range and it seems to be some big thing, especially with Asians.

I stopped buying them in college in the early 90's when I realized that I actually liked zippers.

Quote:

And of course, you can't forget your Levi's jean jacket that was a must have as well.

I loved my jean jacket (Levi's, of course)! I wore it all through HS and my first few years of college. It was a size 42R. Unfortunately for me, I haven't been a 42R for quite some time. :P
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 10th, 2019 at 2:14:21 PM permalink
I was thinking back and I don't remember Levi 501's when I was young. I Googled it and they came out in 1890. I guess they may have existed, but I don't remember them.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 10th, 2019 at 2:41:35 PM permalink
I remember they had a big TV ad campaign in the late 80's/early 90's. Of course, I was their target demo then -- the commercials must have been on MTV or during Scooby-Doo reruns.

Hadn't heard about them before the ad campaign. Don't hear much about them now, but it looks like you can still get a pair from Amazon for $36.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 10th, 2019 at 3:32:54 PM permalink
Growing up in Southern California during the 70's and early 80's it was all about Levi's 501s, Vans, OP, and Izod.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
MaxPen
October 10th, 2019 at 4:11:43 PM permalink

Growing up in Southern California during the 70's

I had a van in Santa Barbara from
77-79. I had to get rid of it because
the homeless bums kept breaking
into it to sleep.

billryan
billryan
October 10th, 2019 at 4:18:23 PM permalink

And back then that high school degree could get you a full time job with a cushy retirement that paid enough to buy a house, a car, and support a family of four.

Really? In 1930, tens of millions of men were selling apples and pencils in a desperate attempt to feed their family, and the State of California put armed guards on its borders to keep out the folks fleeing unemployment in the other 47 states.
In the late 20s, banks were forced to offer mortgages with only twenty percent down, as the traditional 50% down was impossible for most people since the prices had skyrocketed due to indoor plumbing and electricity.
The good old days.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
  • Jump to: