Thread Rating:

Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
October 6th, 2019 at 7:18:59 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

[
Automation and robotics will continue to change the nature of jobs. There will be fewer and fewer skilled manual jobs -and fewer unskilled jobs. More and more people will have no salaried career jobs.

Artificial intelligence is also replacing many professional jobs.

This is going to be a big challenge very soon. How will we allocate income when most people aren’t needed for work ? And what will these people do on a daily basis.
It’s all about making that GTA
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 7th, 2019 at 2:29:08 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

[ With self-driving cars, learning to drive will become as sketchy as learning cursive.

Don't buy that one. I am amazed at how many people swallow this line. Planes still need pilots, and you must learn to fly before you can switch on the autopilot. And until the self-driving cars all communicate with each other seamlessly self-driving will be just glorified cruise control.

Ford is betting the company on "mobility." I hope to buy their stock dirt cheap when they have their next brush with death and realize they are a car company again.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 7th, 2019 at 3:16:56 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

. How will we allocate income when most people aren’t needed for work ? And what will these people do on a daily basis.

We have had automation creating a lot of jobs at the bottom while it created a few headline making jobs at the top. The sixties created programming jobs in the headlines but mainly bursting/decollating jobs in reality. Now the low level jobs are falling to robots, long haul truck drivers are endangered as freight trucks go driverless and Drone Airlines is birthed by UPS. Mid level management has been disappearing to automated logistics.

Scandinavian countries have a history of job choice by desires not by salary, but now its becoming more and more likely that work is an antiquated notion. UBI will really become UNIVERSAL.

People who think you have to learn to fly before becoming an airline pilot have missed out on the last twenty years of aviation developments; not just the fraud endemic in Indian certificates but the entire concept of training for likely events only.

Henry Ford paid headline making wages to destroy skilled coachmen and replace them with assembly line repetitive task automatons. The phone company hired women because men and boys didn't stay at their boring tasks. now we are finally removing people from the equation.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Joeman
October 7th, 2019 at 6:58:13 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Henry Ford paid headline making wages to destroy skilled coachmen and replace them with assembly line repetitive task automatons. The phone company hired women because men and boys didn't stay at their boring tasks. now we are finally removing people from the equation.

I don't believe we are removing people from the equation. We are just re-allocating resources. Even though technology is replacing any lower level jobs more high skilled jobs are being created to create the technology. The skill set is just changing.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
Face
October 7th, 2019 at 8:23:17 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

In 1930 you got a better education
with a HS diploma than a college
grad did in 1985 with a college BA.

And back then that high school degree could get you a full time job with a cushy retirement that paid enough to buy a house, a car, and support a family of four.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
October 7th, 2019 at 10:04:14 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

We are just re-allocating resources. Even though technology is replacing any lower level jobs more high skilled jobs are being created to create the technology. The skill set is just changing.

A thousand low level workers replaced by a robot and an 80K programmer and 50K technician. Resources re-allocated to drug and alcohol counselors for the thousand out of work low level jobs.
DRich
DRich
October 7th, 2019 at 10:08:49 AM permalink

A thousand low level workers replaced by a robot and an 80K programmer and 50K technician. Resources re-allocated to drug and alcohol counselors for the thousand out of work low level jobs.

You are completely forgetting the people machining the parts for the robot, assembling the robot, QA and testing of the robot, selling the robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 7th, 2019 at 10:11:10 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

And until the self-driving cars all communicate with each other seamlessly self-driving will be just glorified cruise control.

And there lies the rub. It cannot
work until every car on the road
is computer driven. This reminds
me of 'this is the future' film
shorts in the 40's with all that
sci/fi crap that never came to be.
That's the future of self driving cars.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 7th, 2019 at 10:35:03 AM permalink
I remember my first try at getting a job - I think I was 14 years old and I wanted to make some money

somebody told me that they would hire pinsetters my age at the local bowling alley - before bowling was completely automated

so I went to see the man

he told me yeah, he might hire me

but he warned me - sometimes the bowling ball could take an odd bounce and it might hit you in the head

all for $ .50 per hour - I said no thanks -
Please don't feed the trolls
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 7th, 2019 at 10:37:45 AM permalink

You are completely forgetting the people machining the parts for the robot, assembling the robot, QA and testing of the robot, selling the robot.

That's okay, there will be a robot psychologist to counsel people who have lost all these jobs as well when they are replaced by robot AI.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
October 7th, 2019 at 10:45:23 AM permalink

And there lies the rub. It cannot work until every car on the road is computer driven.

When the Chinese economy started booming they simply banned cyclists from many roadways. It may be the same for cars in the USA: "get a transponder or stay off the roads".
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 7th, 2019 at 11:18:52 AM permalink

When the Chinese economy started booming they simply banned cyclists from many roadways. It may be the same for cars in the USA: "get a transponder or stay off the roads".

There'll be a "transponder subsidy" like when they did the switchover to digital TV, and you'll have a bunch of old fogies complaining on the Super-Internet that "I ain't a-gonna get me no damn gubmint transponder!" and then a month later they'll buy one anyway because whatever stupid boycott they were trying to organize on Super-Facebook was ridiculed by their grandchildren and Super-CNN and then they'll all commiserate on some forum about how "things were so much better back in the old days."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 7th, 2019 at 11:23:16 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

And back then that high school degree could get you a full time job with a cushy retirement that paid enough to buy a house, a car, and support a family of four.

Not as much as you think. There were a few places that this was the case, auto assembly and some other factory work. But you usually had to actually learn a trade. And the house was 1/3 the size of now. The kids wore hand-me-downs and did not get college funds. The family did not go to Disney for holiday.

The factory work was boring and backbeaking. Many people quit before lunch. Most of the guys in the factory hated every minute of being there.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 7th, 2019 at 12:17:54 PM permalink

Not as much as you think. There were a few places that this was the case, auto assembly and some other factory work. But you usually had to actually learn a trade. And the house was 1/3 the size of now. The kids wore hand-me-downs and did not get college funds. The family did not go to Disney for holiday.

That's my life growing up exactly.
My dad got a factory job when
he left the Navy and got a kit
house in the late 40's and put it
up himself. Small 2 bedroom, no
basement. He added a 3rd bedroom
5 years later.

My mom worked full time for Ma Bell,
both my parents were always employed
full time. My dad even painted houses
in the summer for extra money for 20
years. All our clothes came from the
Sears catalog. We never ate out, ever.
Never stayed in a motel as a kid. Our
vacay was a trip every summer to stay
at a relatives house.

But everybody we knew lived this way.
Used cars, hand me down clothes.
But everybody owned a home and
changed their own oil and fixed up
their own houses. Working your ass
off was the American dream. Nothing
and I mean nothing was handed to
them for free.
rxwine
rxwine
October 7th, 2019 at 12:52:58 PM permalink

The factory work was boring and backbeaking. Many people quit before lunch. Most of the guys in the factory hated every minute of being there.

When were the “good old days”?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 7th, 2019 at 1:14:10 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

When were the “good old days”?

No matter who you ask that question to, that person will always answer with a date range that perfectly coincides with when they were a child and/or young adult.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 7th, 2019 at 3:15:56 PM permalink

But everybody we knew lived this way.
Used cars, hand me down clothes.
But everybody owned a home and
changed their own oil and fixed up
their own houses. Working your ass
off was the American dream. Nothing
and I mean nothing was handed to
them for free.

You were "rich" if you bought your cars new where I grew up. Most men with families did their own oil and other basic repairs. We stayed in motels, but plenty of relatives houses. My uncle did well and let us stay in Florida. All day trip for two days. I got nieces and nephews cannot picture that.

If families had 2 cars, one was decent and the other was usually a junker. To this day I can handle so much being "wrong" with cars that others cannot. I can handle so much being "wrong" than many others. Old this, mismatched that.
DRich
DRich
October 7th, 2019 at 3:22:50 PM permalink

If families had 2 cars, one was decent and the other was usually a junker. .

That was us. We always had one relatively new car and one junker. Mom got the new car and Dad drove the junker. I have been fortunate and since I started working at 22 I have always had new cars. Being spoiled and financially comfortable my wife and I tend to get a new car every three years or so. A new car and a nice house are about the only ways that I spoil myself. I am very frugal in most day to day type purchasing decisions.

As an aside, I just found out that my wifes car has a feature that I didn't even know about. I was driving down some dark winding roads and put on the High Beams, another car started coming around the curve and the car saw it and automatically turned the High Beams off. Once the car passed they went back on. I was very impressed about how well it worked. I have had a lot more expensive cars that didn't have that feature.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 7th, 2019 at 3:41:54 PM permalink

the car saw it and automatically turned the High Beams off. Once the car passed they went back on.

My dad drove used Cadillac's in
the 50's. For some reason a
5 year old Caddie wasn't that
expensive. One model had an
headlight sensor mounted on
the dash that dimmed the lights
when is sensed an oncoming car.
I think it was a 53 Coupe Deville.

TigerWu
TigerWu
October 7th, 2019 at 3:51:38 PM permalink

expensive.

Used ones are still not that expensive. You can get a five year old Caddie now for between $10k and $20k.
DRich
DRich
October 7th, 2019 at 3:53:27 PM permalink

expensive. One model had an
headlight sensor mounted on
the dash that dimmed the lights
when is sensed an oncoming car.
I think it was a 53 Coupe Deville.

I bought a $50,000 Cadillac in 1990 and it didn;t have that feature. BTW, that car was the biggest piece of junk I ever owned.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 7th, 2019 at 4:01:51 PM permalink

If families had 2 cars, one was decent and the other was usually a junker. To this day I can handle so much being "wrong" with cars that others cannot. I can handle so much being "wrong" than many others. Old this, mismatched that.

My bed collapsed Sunday. Too much NY salt, too many trips down I-86, took the fuel system out with it. I tore the bed off, fixed the lines, been rolling with cab only. Affluent neighbor sees me strapping cargo dead to the frame and laughs. "Man, you got no shame in your game!"

Nope. But know what I DO have? $400 more a month than you =)

We've an odd relationship with status 'round here.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DRich
DRich
October 7th, 2019 at 4:06:58 PM permalink
Quote: Face

My bed collapsed Sunday. Too much NY salt, too many trips down I-86, took the fuel system out with it. I tore the bed off, fixed the lines, been rolling with cab only. Affluent neighbor sees me strapping cargo dead to the frame and laughs. "Man, you got no shame in your game!"

That's awesome.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 7th, 2019 at 4:07:01 PM permalink

Used ones are still not that expensive. You can get a five year old Caddie now for between $10k and $20k.

My dad never paid more than $300
for a 5 year old high mileage Caddie.
He liked them because they had powerful
engines and you could usually keep
them running longer than the
cheaper cars. They had a great ride
and suspension, they floated down
the road.

The last one he had was the 59 with
the fins, sold it to a neighbor kid
for 50 bucks.

He always got the 2 door Coupe deVille's;
they were cheaper. The back seat was
like a small motel room.

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 7th, 2019 at 4:48:24 PM permalink

My dad never paid more than $300
for a 5 year old high mileage Caddie.
He liked them because they had powerful
engines and you could usually keep
them running longer than the
cheaper cars. They had a great ride
and suspension, they floated down
the road.

You could put a lawn chair IN the engine bay and have a seat when replacing your stator!

Nowadays you need to remove the bumper, wheel well, and borrow 2 neighborhood children to replace a headlight. Oil change? Remove crossmember, 3 sheets of HDPE covers, the entire right suspension, and it'll still hit a torsion bar and run the width of your entire vehicle. And lol at your Craftsman set, you're gonna need those, double hex, some Torx, a Phillips, and a Robertson, just to be a d#$%head.

Gods, make me King for a day...
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
picogram88
picogram88
  • Threads: 0
October 7th, 2019 at 5:19:31 PM permalink
Because many employers are requiring Bachelor's and Masters degrees for jobs that pay little more than minimum wage, while many fast food places pay the same. It's a very different job market now than it was in years past.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 7th, 2019 at 8:10:36 PM permalink

You could put a lawn chair IN the engine bay and have a seat when replacing your stator!

The 50's Caddies were 6 1/2'
wide, 18 feet long, and weighed
over 5000 pounds. Look at the
space between the back and
front seat. If you had to live
in a car, this is the one. You
could lie on the back seat like
it was a bed, it was so wide.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2019 at 3:40:37 AM permalink

That was us. We always had one relatively new car and one junker. Mom got the new car and Dad drove the junker. I have been fortunate and since I started working at 22 I have always had new cars. Being spoiled and financially comfortable my wife and I tend to get a new car every three years or so. A new car and a nice house are about the only ways that I spoil myself. I am very frugal in most day to day type purchasing decisions.

I've had one new car, a Hyundai Accent I ran into the ground. Was sad it lasted 9.5 years when I tried for 10. Still got $1300 out of it. Meaning it cost me just over $1000 per year in depreciation. My dad was impressed as he was never able to buy new. I told him it was just a cheapo. Thing is, I kind of liked that car as it really did what I needed it to do. Run cheap.

Quote:

As an aside, I just found out that my wifes car has a feature that I didn't even know about. I was driving down some dark winding roads and put on the High Beams, another car started coming around the curve and the car saw it and automatically turned the High Beams off. Once the car passed they went back on. I was very impressed about how well it worked. I have had a lot more expensive cars that didn't have that feature.

Others beat me to saying that is a 50 year old option. It seems to have disappeared in the early 1970s. My guess is NHTSA might have banned it. They banned the glass over the headlights that Imerials had back then as well. Some old cars had some really neat stuff they had to really make work. Check out some things the Turnpike Cruiser had on it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2019 at 3:46:10 AM permalink

$400? If he buys new looking at $550 for almost 72 months now. People can keep their status!

FWIW, IMHO we are now seeing a bigger than ever subset saying to keep the status. Still a minority, but more of us refusing to be slaves to car payments.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
October 8th, 2019 at 4:35:03 AM permalink
in Los Angeles there were office drones with fancy cars that spent most of the time in garages. Some people had to hide fancy cars from the repo man and ride the bus for awhile.

in Seattle some of those fifteen year old Saabs and Volvos were being driven by millionaires.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 8th, 2019 at 4:36:30 AM permalink
these were the basketball shoes that everybody who played had to have - Converse All Stars - we all called them "Chucks" - all the NBA pros wore them
I remember they sold for $9.99 for a very long time
they were nowhere near as good as today's basketball shoes - they're still being sold as retro cool
the 2nd pic is Wilt wearing "Chucks"
the only competitor they had was "Pro Keds" shown in the last pic
but "Pro Keds" really weren't in the same league as "Chucks"

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 8, 2019
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 8th, 2019 at 4:57:01 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

these were the basketball shoes that everybody who played had to have - Converse All Stars - we all called them "Chucks" - all the NBA pros wore them
I remember they sold for $9.99 for a very long time
they were nowhere near as good as today's basketball shoes - they're still being sold as retro cool
the 2nd pic is Wilt wearing "Chucks"

I remember seeing Chuck Taylors in K-Mart selling for $2.88 when I was a kid. I think it was probably early/mid 80's when athletic shoes started becoming a status symbol. I guess it was a time when everybody forgot about Chucks -- after they became an inferior basketball shoe (by comparison), but before they became cool.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
October 8th, 2019 at 5:30:05 AM permalink
I remember having only a mild concern for footgear and the only standard was that it fitted.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 8th, 2019 at 5:50:37 AM permalink
this was really a craze when it first came out
all the girls had 2 or 3 of them
they loved showing off their stuff

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 8th, 2019 at 5:51:45 AM permalink

I remember having only a mild concern for footgear and the only standard was that it fitted.

I still do not get the "status" of athletic shoes. Dress shoes almost the same, though there I will buy quality as quality dress shoes will last me years. Many years now what with casual office and my work has migrated me to out of office. Who cares if they say "Jordans."

Women buy shoes to impress women. Athletic shoes are just tennis shoes to me no matter the cost.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
October 8th, 2019 at 6:08:18 AM permalink
hula hoops were courtesy of art linkletter, I think.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
October 8th, 2019 at 6:19:16 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I remember seeing Chuck Taylors in K-Mart selling for $2.88 when I was a kid. I think it was probably early/mid 80's when athletic shoes started becoming a status symbol. I guess it was a time when everybody forgot about Chucks -- after they became an inferior basketball shoe (by comparison), but before they became cool.

When I was a kid the area I was from you wouldn't want to be caught dead shopping at Kmart. That was considered poor and scummy. I remember one of the terms used to tease kids in school was calling them blue light special/shopper. If you did buy something at Kmart you had to make sure it wasn't Kmart brand specific. You had to have Levi's jeans and Kmart didn't sell Levi's.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 8th, 2019 at 6:33:42 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

When I was a kid the area I was from you wouldn't want to be caught dead shopping at Kmart. That was considered poor and scummy. I remember one of the terms used to tease kids in school was calling them blue light special/shopper. If you did buy something at Kmart you had to make sure it wasn't Kmart brand specific. You had to have Levi's jeans and Kmart didn't sell Levi's.

That was probably the case in high school, but nobody cared in my neighborhood or in elementary or jr. high. But, yeah, we called them "K-Mart Cowboys."

And not just Levi's, they had to be 501 Button Fly! ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 8th, 2019 at 7:37:09 AM permalink
𝑅𝑜𝑐𝑘𝑎𝑏𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑦 stuff

𝑳𝑬𝑻 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑮𝑶𝑶𝑫 𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬𝑺 𝑹𝑶𝑳𝑳

at 0:51 a girl misses and gets dumped on the floor - (-:]

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 8th, 2019 at 8:09:29 AM permalink
1964 GTO and of course the song which most people think was by the Beach Boys but they only covered it
it was Ronnie and the Daytonas who wrote the song and made the car immortal

"𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘭 𝘫𝘰𝘣𝘴"

TigerWu
TigerWu
October 8th, 2019 at 8:32:15 AM permalink

this was really a craze when it first came out
all the girls had 2 or 3 of them
they loved showing off their stuff

Go on youtube and search for "hooping."
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 8th, 2019 at 10:14:06 AM permalink

1964 GTO and of course the song

Just saw a Jay Leno video where
he races a 67 GTO with a 400
cubic inch engine against a
modern 6 cylinder Japanese
car with half the HP, in the
1/4 mile. The Jap car blew
the GTO's doors off.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 8th, 2019 at 10:26:24 AM permalink

Just saw a Jay Leno video where
he races a 67 GTO with a 400
cubic inch engine against a
modern 6 cylinder Japanese
car with half the HP, in the
1/4 mile. The Jap car blew
the GTO's doors off.

yeah, but nobody's going to write a song about that car
nobody cares

those cars don't inspire passion for anybody

how about if we compare a 1964 jet fighter aircraft to a 2019 jet fighter aircraft

would that be a real meaningful comparison?

here is the Lockheed Martin F22 Raptor
it can beat any 1964 fighter jet........................................................... 😄😄 😄

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Forager
October 8th, 2019 at 10:32:06 AM permalink
yawn.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 8th, 2019 at 10:40:18 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Nothing worse than seeing old farts riding around in their crappy “hot rods” at 25 mph that are loud as can be and break down all the time. “Look at me,” worse than motorcycles.

enjoy...............................................😄 😄 😄

DRich
DRich
October 8th, 2019 at 10:57:32 AM permalink
I do not understand the attraction of those older cars. I was thinking maybe because I was just after that generation but then I don't think any genre of cars are attractive.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 8th, 2019 at 11:17:17 AM permalink

The Jap car

Ethnic slurs are against forum rules.
rxwine
rxwine
October 8th, 2019 at 11:35:14 AM permalink

I do not understand the attraction of those older cars. I was thinking maybe because I was just after that generation but then I don't think any genre of cars are attractive.

I never got around to it, but I always favored having a stealth hot rod over an obvious muscle car. Looks like Clark Kent, runs like Superman.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
Forager
October 8th, 2019 at 11:47:34 AM permalink

Ethnic slurs are against forum rules.

Since the car is not a forum member I do not see the problem. If the car posts a complaint then we could take it under consideration.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
October 8th, 2019 at 11:50:27 AM permalink

Since the car is not a forum member I do not see the problem. If the car posts a complaint then we could take it under consideration.

You might be confusing the personal insult rule with the ethnic slur rule.
  • Jump to: