June 22nd, 2012 at 12:47:31 PM permalink
Subway has a sign on their door of this avacado sandwich:

Looked good so I ordered one. When I opened it at home
it looked nothing like the pic. No avacada was visible at
all. I tore it apart and there was a thin smear of green paste
on one of the buns, that was it. I was furious and looked
it up on the net and there are lots of complaints. Then I
saw an ad on TV with a fireman eating one and it had so
much avacado on it he could barely hold it. That did it.

I stopped in there today and raised hell. They hemmed
and hawed and finally gave me a free sandwich just
to get rid of me. You want a free one, order the avacado
and do just what I did. If enough people do it, Subway
will hear about it.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
June 22nd, 2012 at 1:03:15 PM permalink
Can we combine threads?

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/off-topic/10299-food-stylist/#post157673
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 22nd, 2012 at 1:55:35 PM permalink
Quote: only1choice

Can we combine threads?

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/off-topic/10299-food-stylist/#post157673

The Subway avacado is even more blatant than any of
the pics on the site you posted. Especially the TV commercial.
It had avacado almost falling on the ground and the guy can
barely hold it with both hands. Chunks of avacado. Paste
and chunks aren't even in the same ballpark.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
June 22nd, 2012 at 3:42:10 PM permalink
Sadly, way too many places do this sort of thing. I was at a restaurant with some friends and one ordered a baked potato and when it arrived it didn't have the chives that were shown in the menu picture. When she inquired about them she was told that they didn't have them. Not that they were currently out of them, they don't have, ever, what they show on the menu. I think they ended up giving her the spud for free, but still, what an awful way to do business.
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
June 22nd, 2012 at 4:01:54 PM permalink
I've always thought Hardee's has good advertising. They don't fluff it up too much, and the burgers are actually as meaty as they say.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 22nd, 2012 at 4:39:54 PM permalink
(Un?)Fortunately, there are still places that serve what they advertise: H.A.G.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
June 22nd, 2012 at 5:34:48 PM permalink
Bob, I think it's hilarious that you did this and it was well within your rights to go in there and raise hell.

However, I make it a policy to always expect the worst from Subway when it comes to any of their "seasonal" or "special" sandwiches, like the Pork BBQ they were doing a few months ago. I didn't ever order it, but I saw someone who did, and it was hilariously awful-looking compared to the picture, just like the avocado.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 22nd, 2012 at 6:30:38 PM permalink
When it comes to sandwiches, might I recommend Jimmy Johns? I'm not sure how national they are, but it seems like every week I hear about a new one sprouting up in the greater Seattle area.

Smaller sandwiches, but higher quality with significantly more meat than Subway.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
June 22nd, 2012 at 6:51:03 PM permalink
When I ask for black olives, they have literally given me 6 before. I don't go to Subway anymore...
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
June 22nd, 2012 at 7:53:24 PM permalink
Subway franchisees have only a 7% failure rate to repay the SBL's that are given by Subway. Furthermore, the initial startup cost for your own Subway franchise is only in the neighborhood of $15,000.

Given these positive numbers, my guess is that if a Subway franchise fails it is often due to poor location/traffic, or the cheapness of the owners. If you cannot or will not produce a sandwich that, at first glance, can at least be mistaken for the one that the customer sees on the commercials, the customer will no longer purchase sandwiches at your location and will advise others to refrain from doing same.

It is true that food costs are ocassionally high, especially for a product like avocado, but when a customer enters a Subway, the customer does so with an expectation of both quantity and quality that the brand works very hard to advertise and maintain by investing the royalties it receives into nationally televised commercials and ad campaigns. It can also be taken for granted that, with the low failure rate of Subway franchises, the brand is not asking for anything that cannot reasonably be accomplished with the franchisee still showing a profit.

In effect, then, stores such as the one described in the OP will eventually be casualties of their own cheapness. The only other possibility is that you have a store that has such a great amount of organic traffic that they really don't have to put out a product of reasonable quality because losing a handful of dissatisfied customers isn't going to hurt them in the long run.

I would suggest, though, that these things such as a, "Smear of avocado," or, "Six olives," should not be held against the brand, as a whole, because the Subway brand works very hard to maintain product quality and quantity consistency throughout all of its frachises. Of course, a brand representative cannot be in all places at all times, but I would imagine that there is a clause in the Subway franchise contract that a consistent failure to maintain the expected product quality will result in termination of the contract.

In any case, the best thing that you can do for yourselves and for Subway is to call the Subway corporate line and make a complaint about the poor quality of the product that you received, you could even take a picture of the product and E-Mail it to them if you were feeling especially ambitious.

I know that the Subway I frequent kicks all Hell out of the local Quizno's. I always get the Garden Veggie Pattie, and if you want to talk about, "Running it through the garden," they run it through about three gardens. It's gotten to the point, on occasion, where they have had difficulty closing the sandwich!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 22nd, 2012 at 8:06:15 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I would suggest, though, that these things such as a, "Smear of avocado," or, "Six olives,"
should not be held against the brand.

Its nationwide, not local. The complaints I read from all
over the country mentioned the smear of avacado paste
instead of the chunks of it in the ads. I saw the bucket
of paste today, she said they get it from corporate and
the instructions are explicit on how to apply the smear
and how much it should be. So its a Subway decision,
not a local store issue.
Mission146
Mission146
June 22nd, 2012 at 8:38:44 PM permalink
I am very dissapointed to hear that. I have only had good experiences with Subway and the brand has shown consistently good quality (in my opinion) across many locations.

I don't much care for avocado, but I'll ask for some on my next Garden Veggie Pattie and see what they do with it. I believe that the advocado smear stuff comes from corporate, but we'll see if what that girl was saying about the amount is true.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 22nd, 2012 at 8:53:04 PM permalink
From what I know about Subway, what they put on a sandwich
is determined by corporate. If they say 4 tomato slices, its
4 slices.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
June 23rd, 2012 at 4:24:31 PM permalink
Doesn't everyone watch the subway sandwich artist make the sandwich in front of you? Why not just say more olives... Or more avocado?
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 23rd, 2012 at 4:38:52 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Doesn't everyone watch the subway sandwich artist make the sandwich in front of you? Why not just say more olives... Or more avocado?

Because I was in a Subway/store/gas station. I told her
what I wanted on it and went to buy some other
things and some beer and came back and picked it
up. I never saw her make it.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 23rd, 2012 at 4:52:10 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
June 23rd, 2012 at 5:12:23 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

If enough people do it, Subway will hear about it.

False advertising, complain about it to FTC. Not going to do much, but maybe if enough people complain they might threaten a slap on the wrist.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 23rd, 2012 at 7:42:04 PM permalink
Subway is crap, I've avoided it like the plague for about 1.5 years. Better to go to McDonald's.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
ahiromu
ahiromu
June 23rd, 2012 at 8:40:32 PM permalink
Whenever I eat McDonalds burgers I always feel like absolute crap the next morning (fries and chicken mcnuggets are fine). I don't mean bad digestion, I mean every muscle in my body is out of energy and it just hurts to move. This only happens with McD's burgers, Wendy's/Jack in the Box/Burger King are all perfectly fine with me.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
June 23rd, 2012 at 9:18:38 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I prefer Blimpie. The subs are larger and its cheaper.

I miss them. All of the ones in Las Vegas (and many other places for that matter) went out of business.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
June 23rd, 2012 at 9:33:36 PM permalink
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
June 23rd, 2012 at 9:46:37 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

When I ask for black olives, they have literally given me 6 before. I don't go to Subway anymore...

Wow. I haven't had any real problems with Subway, but I only have 3-4 go to options on their menu, and I only go there once a month or so. I've learned from experience to ask for extra pickles because if I don't, they will give me 4-6 pickles, which just isn't enough. I do love their Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki sub though . . .
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 23rd, 2012 at 10:06:35 PM permalink
Subway franchises include absolutely zero territory, the company often forces the opening of nearby stores that cannibalize each other's markets.

New products often burden stores with new training requirements and of course nothing is as depicted.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 24th, 2012 at 12:31:17 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Subway franchises include absolutely zero territory, the company often forces the opening of nearby stores that cannibalize each other's markets.

New products often burden stores with new training requirements and of course nothing is as depicted.

I think McDonald's did that press release about their food stylists to strike first against the claims that food depicted in commercials is not representative of what you get. McDonald's was arguing that of course we make it look prettier, but we don't misrepresent the ingredients. In Subway's case they seem to be misrepresenting ingredients.

I don't really understand the point of Subway. There used to be sandwich shops everywhere. It was the most basic of mom and pop businesses. I don't see why you should bypass the Subway and just go to a local place.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 24th, 2012 at 12:46:43 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I don't really understand the point of Subway. There used to be sandwich shops everywhere. It was the most basic of mom and pop businesses. I don't see why you should bypass the Subway and just go to a local place.

You can say the same thing about most fast food chains. I'm convinced the average person is such a lemming they have to be told everything, including where to eat, or they are just lost. Hypocritically, I sometimes hit certain fast food places like everyone else. Sometimes there aren't choices, the big chains have run the others out of business.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
June 24th, 2012 at 3:08:59 AM permalink
At first I was a little put off by Jimmy John's, because the bread was so different from Subway. Subway SEEMED better. But after eating Jimmy John's a few times, I like the bread better and the sandwiches in general. There is much more meat, BUT it is more expensive. I get more sandwich, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it. And I'm not sure if Jimmy John's is comparable in health. It seems a little more fattening, with more oil and mayo (which I don't get on my Subs).
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 24th, 2012 at 3:09:17 AM permalink
When Burger King(?) introduced the Bacon Burger with such a skimpy fragment of bacon on it, one man made a multi-million dollar investment decision based on his assumption that costs would be high and satisfaction low.

Avacados? a/k/a Alligator pears. Don't know why they are going for it. Its perhaps suggestive of a Mexican market which of course would be SouthWest Market in politically correct lingo.

Maybe people just get bored with sub shops or maybe the franchisor just wants to come up with more expenses for the franchisees to pay.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
June 24th, 2012 at 5:41:13 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Avacados? a/k/a Alligator pears. Don't know why they are going for it. Its perhaps suggestive of a Mexican market which of course would be SouthWest Market in politically correct lingo.

There's a lot of research that avocados (btw, avOcado is how it's spelled) are very high in good cholesterol and it's very healthy to eat it in small dosages. The amount they advertise would be much too high in fat to be healthy, but the paste certainly could be. Since Subway likes to play to the health crowd anyways, it's a natural fit. Problem is the that it must be consumed in small dosages, which is why guacamole and other avocado dishes are not typically considered health food.

For all those who like Jimmy John's, I always like to brag that I ate there when there were only a few of them! I went to school in Illinois, and there was a Jimmy John's near campus. I had a friend in St Louis, who one day, suggested this new great place for lunch called "Johnny's Jimmy's," where I proceeded to tell him that it's not new; I had eaten there probably twice a week for three years.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 24th, 2012 at 6:05:08 AM permalink
Potbelly Sandwich Works (for those in the Chicago/Midwest area) does a very good sub for about $3.75, I think. They have a lot of outlets now. Jimmy John's is halfway decent (i.e., better than Subway), but still pretty bad.

A lot of immigrants open Subway stores. They seem to have exploded in the last 5-10 years with no rhyme or reason to location/profit/etc. I'm not sure I admire their business model.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 24th, 2012 at 7:16:27 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 24th, 2012 at 7:56:17 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

You can say the same thing about most fast food chains. I'm convinced the average person is such a lemming they have to be told everything, including where to eat, or they are just lost. Hypocritically, I sometimes hit certain fast food places like everyone else. Sometimes there aren't choices, the big chains have run the others out of business.

In Mexico where you still have many traditional eateries, you sometimes get shocked at how much energy we expend in America (gasoline and electric) just to get overpriced bland tasting fast food.

buzzpaff
buzzpaff
June 24th, 2012 at 8:49:06 AM permalink
Just as a side note, if there are lots of cars in a drive thru line, do NOT think you will get out faster if you go inside to order.
Done it many times, nobody in line inside, and yet when I come out I see the car I would have been behind leaving the parking lot.
LOL
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 24th, 2012 at 8:58:20 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

In Mexico where you still have many traditional eateries, you sometimes get shocked at how much energy we expend in America (gasoline and electric) just to get overpriced bland tasting fast food.

And yet you choose a picture with a line of incandescent 100 watt light bulbs, 2 75 watt spot lights, and a large, gas-powered cooking area.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 24th, 2012 at 9:06:47 AM permalink
Whenever I get gas there, the Subway always has people inside and at the
drive thru. Middle aged people, not teens. And its in the middle of nowhere,
out in the country. People will eat anything as long as somebody else makes it.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 24th, 2012 at 10:02:51 AM permalink
This is for you EB, next time you're looking at one of those ads.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 24th, 2012 at 10:18:37 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

This is for you EB, next time you're looking at one of those ads.

I'm still pissed about it today. I was there an hour
ago and they have a hige pic on the door of avacado
chunks just falling out of the thing. And what they
actually put on looks like green baby food. Yuk.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
June 24th, 2012 at 10:22:54 AM permalink
It almost all TV commercials that big burger or subs is actually a ceramic re-creation.

LOL
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
June 24th, 2012 at 11:07:15 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

It almost all TV commercials that big burger or subs is actually a ceramic re-creation.

LOL

When I worked for Papa John's in my younger years they filmed a commercial at my store. The cheese they used was not normal cheese. It had a glue like consistency to help hold it together. I was told it was edible in the literal sense but would not be something you would want to eat.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 24th, 2012 at 11:15:14 AM permalink

People will eat anything as long as somebody else makes it.

Of course. Take a look at The M Resort, they are marketing their "take out" options, not just on holidays. Drop by the casino, try your luck, pick up your dinner and drive home.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
June 24th, 2012 at 1:42:29 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Subway is crap, I've avoided it like the plague for about 1.5 years. Better to go to McDonald's.

"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
June 24th, 2012 at 2:58:46 PM permalink
How do you prove that you're homeless?
Wupper
Wupper
  • Threads: 9
June 24th, 2012 at 4:45:57 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Just as a side note, if there are lots of cars in a drive thru line, do NOT think you will get out faster if you go inside to order.
Done it many times, nobody in line inside, and yet when I come out I see the car I would have been behind leaving the parking lot.
LOL

So true! I've tried that, thinking it was a good move. Never again!
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
June 24th, 2012 at 4:54:57 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I call BS. Local stores can do just fine. You have to have a superior product at a reasonable price (or be able to do it cheaper, which is harder due to the economy of scale advantage the big guys have).

See the Mad Greek in Baker, CA for an example.
Mission146
Mission146
June 24th, 2012 at 7:42:25 PM permalink

Its nationwide, not local. The complaints I read from all
over the country mentioned the smear of avacado paste
instead of the chunks of it in the ads. I saw the bucket
of paste today, she said they get it from corporate and
the instructions are explicit on how to apply the smear
and how much it should be. So its a Subway decision,
not a local store issue.

I think she lied to you. I went ahead and asked for the avocado today, and it came from a plastic squeeze tube very similar to the ones bakers use to decorate cakes. The dollops of avocado were generous, chunky and thick.

In related news, I still don't care for avocado.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
June 24th, 2012 at 8:55:52 PM permalink

I'm still pissed about it today. I was there an hour ago and they have a hige pic on the door of avacado chunks just falling out of the thing. And what they actually put on looks like green baby food. Yuk.

Did you actually eat at that restaurant, or just pass by the sign? Because if you ate there, then it really doesn't matter that they put those avocados in a paste...

This is my biggest pet peeve about consumers. It's very easy to complain about something, but if you continue to patronize the business, then the business wins! You don't have to boycott and picket and be a jerk about it; just stop going there.

Case in point: I received such terrible service from Hollywood Casino, in Lawrenceburg, IN on my last trip, I will never step foot inside the facility again. It's one of the closer casinos with a poker room where I can win consistently, but they angered me so much on my last trip (and previous ones before that) I vowed I would never go there again.

Keep eating those Subways, and they'll keep churning out avocado paste...
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 24th, 2012 at 9:00:33 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

Keep eating those Subways, and they'll keep churning out avocado paste...

In think it was the second time for me at Subway.
Probably the last.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 24th, 2012 at 10:40:17 PM permalink
Quote: tsmith

How do you prove that you're homeless?

Its difficult, especially since food banks require you to live within a certain neighborhood
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
June 25th, 2012 at 2:29:58 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I think she lied to you. I went ahead and asked for the avocado today, and it came from a plastic squeeze tube very similar to the ones bakers use to decorate cakes. The dollops of avocado were generous, chunky and thick.

In related news, I still don't care for avocado.

Boom. Roasted.

I think I'll wander on down to my local 7-Eleven for a hot dog. With onions and relish and ketchup. Mmmmm.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
June 25th, 2012 at 1:24:35 PM permalink
I can't stand avocado. And I miss Blimpy's too. There is a Jersey Mike's near me, I like that place.
  • Jump to: