Thread Rating:

kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
February 18th, 2014 at 9:22:53 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

As long as the dust is flying, let's kick up some more.

Stay tuned for sentencing.

Hum... The Moon is now "waning gibbous", so might I suggest that Admins put a stop to that Full Moon Massacre? All-out suspension fest + new stricter rule propositions + two (!) new admins + threads closed, all in a matter of five days. That is Columbine, here?

I gather you guys are, for some reason (*), thinking that things are going out of control, and trying to regain such control. The result is even more chaos. Maybe, just maybe, it would be better to let the dust settle down, closing those culprit threads, PMing near-offensive members to ask them a voluntary restraint for a few days. Wait for the tension to calm down and we can all speak like mature civilized people again.

(*) I have a guess but cannot express it because I'd rather stick to the "no personal implication" standard, and don't want further name-calling and suspensions.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
February 18th, 2014 at 10:13:23 AM permalink
HotBlonde now says she never meant to get DorothyGale suspended, but was trying to make a point about how extremely biased and unfair I am. Given that charges were never made against Dorothy, I'm dropping all charges against her and expunging her name from the suspension list. I also give Dorothy a "Get out of suspension one day early" card.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 18th, 2014 at 10:13:46 AM permalink

Keep in mind that for purposes of the rules, it is like both sites are one site.

Maybe the term for this should be along the lines of "universal default" that the credit card companies use to jack up your rates if you default to another lender.

"Universal Suspension?"

Just sounds less clunky. Feel free to use or not.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
February 18th, 2014 at 10:15:39 AM permalink

HotBlonde now says she never meant to get DorothyGale suspended, but was trying to make a point about how extremely biased and unfair I am. Given that charges were never made against Dorothy, I'm dropping all charges against her and expunging her name from the suspension list. I also give Dorothy a "Get out of suspension one day early" card.

Waaaaaait...HB thinks you're biased and unfair AGAINST her? Wow. I don't think anyone else on this board would ever agree with that. Maybe you should consider treating HB like one of the boys & see how she likes that?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
February 18th, 2014 at 10:25:56 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Waaaaaait...HB thinks you're biased and unfair AGAINST her? Wow. I don't think anyone else on this board would ever agree with that. Maybe you should consider treating HB like one of the boys & see how she likes that?

+1
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 18th, 2014 at 10:29:15 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Everbody, take a step back. Some people have been suspended and not everybody agrees. Some people were not suspended and not everybody agrees. At the end of the day, life isn't always fair and suspensions will not always be fair in everybody's eyes. That is bound to happen when any level of subjectivity is used to dole out the punishment.

Who is really harmed by a suspension? This is an internet forum where we use aliases and with a few notable exceptions, no one really knows who we are anyway. And even if they did, getting a suspension here shouldn't really keep anyone up at night.

I understand many like to discuss, disect, second guess, and provide their own opinions, but at the end of the day, the only people who really matter are the Wizard and the moderators and my hat is off to them for the overall great job they do in maintaing civility on this board.

My thoughts on the subject are thusly:
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 18th, 2014 at 10:30:02 AM permalink
Lady: A well mannered and considerate woman with high standards of proper behavior. Are all women ladies? You tell me.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
chickenman
chickenman
February 18th, 2014 at 10:32:48 AM permalink
Don't draw a generality from a particular :-)
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
February 18th, 2014 at 10:47:22 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

Don't draw a generality from a particular :-)

He's negating a generality with a particular
chickenman
chickenman
February 18th, 2014 at 10:57:17 AM permalink
delete
chickenman
chickenman
February 18th, 2014 at 10:57:54 AM permalink
Quote: wudged

He's negating a generality with a particular

Is that allowed here?
1BB
1BB
February 18th, 2014 at 11:01:19 AM permalink
Better check my past posts. Check for warrants while you're at it. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 18th, 2014 at 11:02:57 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Why is it a personal insult to say someone has a psychological disorder? Mental illnesses are real and they are nothing to be ashamed of. It's no more insulting to say someone has a psychological disorder than it is to say she has a sprained ankle.

The attitude toward mental illness as something to be ashamed of is a huge part of what's keeping society from getting patients much-needed treatment.

It's a little bit different to tell someone that they have a psychological disorder when you are not a doctor. Of course mental illnesses are real but there is no one on here who can diagnose a mental disorder vis-a-vis the internet.

Please tell me via this text if I have a sprained ankle. See? Even the occasional episode of psychosis is not classified as a mental illness.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 18th, 2014 at 11:06:59 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Please tell me via this text if I have a sprained ankle. See? Even the occasional episode of psychosis is not classified as a mental illness.

Can't believe it...but I gotta give boymimbo another +1 here. ;)

+1!
Fighting BS one post at a time!
1BB
1BB
February 18th, 2014 at 11:16:46 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Can't believe it...but I gotta give boymimbo another +1 here. ;)

+1!

What if he has cankles?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 18th, 2014 at 11:18:16 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Um...With all due respect to Axelwolf, I'm not sure he is renowned on this Forum for being the most accurate typist. If that post were to come from me, just for one example, I could certainly understand a Suspension given my 99%+ typing accuracy. The, 'n' is pretty close to the 'g,' by the way.

I think that it's particularly funny that, to complain about the fact that it couldn't possibly be a typo because the keys are not beside each other, EvenBob wrote:

Quote: EvenBob

G in not next to N on my keyboard. Its not a typo.

(emphasis mine)

How close are the n and the s?
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
February 18th, 2014 at 11:34:02 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I think that it's particularly funny that, to complain about the fact that it couldn't possibly be a typo because the keys are not beside each other, EvenBob wrote:

G in not next to N on my keyboard. Its not a typo.

(emphasis mine)

How close are the n and the s?

G ig cloger to N thag S ig.

Or should that be

G in cloner to N thas S in?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
February 18th, 2014 at 11:39:07 AM permalink
MOTION TO HAVE ALL PROTESTS OF SUSPENSION ONLY ARGUED BY SUSPENDEE FROM NOW ON!

(and perhaps your lawyer if one is appointed.)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
chickenman
chickenman
February 18th, 2014 at 11:41:23 AM permalink
Second. Amend to general amnesty for all suspendees. Let the fun begin...
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
February 18th, 2014 at 11:42:07 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

MOTION TO HAVE ALL PROTESTS OF SUSPENSION ONLY ARGUED BY SUSPENDEE FROM NOW ON!

(and perhaps your lawyer if one is appointed.)

But shouldn't witnesses be allowed to testify…(although eyewitness testimony is sorely unreliable…herein, we have documentary evidence rather than merely recall)
aceofspades
aceofspades
February 18th, 2014 at 11:49:26 AM permalink
This is from the 2014 Kentucky Derby thread

Quote: FinsRule

Couldn't you saying "You have no idea how to value a stallion" be considered an insult? Saying you know something isn't the same as actually knowing.

But you're right, maybe someone would have paid 10 mil for WTC after that race, someone did pay 16 million for The Green Monkey.

This entire board is going to turn into a police state with everyone telling on one another in an effort to gain favor with the powers that be. Anything in the world can be considered an insult depending upon the sensitivity of the person it is directed at…I am fearful where all of this is heading.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
February 18th, 2014 at 11:53:11 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

I am fearful where all of this is heading.

Soon we'll be penalized for using weak counts, failure to appreciate hockey, disparaging the Vikings...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
aceofspades
aceofspades
February 18th, 2014 at 11:54:14 AM permalink

Soon we'll be penalized for using weak counts

I am already guilty of that!

I just finished the book The Counter which had some Viking references
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 18th, 2014 at 11:54:58 AM permalink

Soon we'll be penalized for using weak counts, failure to appreciate hockey, disparaging the Vikings...

Oh god, if I get suspended for mocking the Maple Laughs....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
February 18th, 2014 at 11:59:15 AM permalink
So am I to understand that Dorothy was un-suspended because HB said she never intended to have Dorothy suspended?

Why should HB's "intent" matter in evaluating a suspension? I thought suspensions were based on rules, not requests by favored members.

It's shocking how much power "HotBlonde" has over the administration of this forum. Every time a "HotBlonde" incident flares up, it makes the board worse. Yet she continues to receive favored-member status for no reason apparent to me.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 18th, 2014 at 12:08:59 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

What if he has cankles?

LOL
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 18th, 2014 at 12:24:30 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Will never happen in life. I rather enjoy our repartee, no matter how much it sometimes hurts (See: Stan in '14 thread) ;)

This entire board is going to turn into a police state with everyone telling on one another in an effort to gain favor with the powers that be. Anything in the world can be considered an insult depending upon the sensitivity of the person it is directed at…I am fearful where all of this is heading.

I've been an admin here for a majority of your personal membership. Only difference is now my name is in a color I can't see. Don't worry so much, we'll still let EvenBob rag you to your heart's content ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 18th, 2014 at 12:40:55 PM permalink

This always happens when you have too
many mods. Always. Then people get afraid
to post. Hell, I'm afraid to post already, I
have no idea what's considered an insult
anymore.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 129
February 18th, 2014 at 12:50:23 PM permalink

anymore.

14679 with being afraid to post?
Oh man, I wonder what will happen
if you are not afraid!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
February 18th, 2014 at 12:53:59 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

14679 with being afraid to post?
Oh man, I wonder what will happen
if you are not afraid!

Lol
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
1BB
1BB
February 18th, 2014 at 12:54:55 PM permalink

anymore.

The question is how many do we have now?

I wish someone would work four hours a day for me with no pay.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 18th, 2014 at 1:34:56 PM permalink
Moderation, like a pendulum, swings back and forth. Right now, in response to a lot of raised hackles, several things are in flux at the same time, and corrections and clarifications are being made.

As Face noted for himself, I have also been a secret mod, in my case for about 5 months. Both of us have been active, and this flare-up notwithstanding, I don't see a lot changing with standards for the vast majority of situations. We're just more visible in green. And things may get popped a little faster with 4 of us in green, but I don't think there will be a significant increase in the number of incidences, just in the timing.

The part that's so difficult for the Wiz, IMO, is in making this a truly open forum, there tends to be passion behind very different POV's. Culturally, the standards we were raised on (he and I are similar in age) have changed significantly and the line between disagreeing with the statement and mischaracterizing the person making the statement has become blurred and in many cases non-existent.

Look at any newspaper opinion page, television commentary, or dinner conversation with people "you thought you knew"; would Walter Cronkite say the things ANYBODY in news says now? The Wiz is re-teaching that lesson and that era of courteous disagreement in his moderation standard, and it's very hard work. He is also overly kind and tolerant based on his personal ethos; this is not a flaw, but it can and does rise up and bite him. So he's making some hard decisions from his personal point of decorum, which, considering he is the sole host financing this site and DT, is entirely his right.

I think it would be doing him a great courtesy if everybody just relaxed, continued to post their thoughts (because he's been gracious enough to listen to and provide avenues for questions), and above all, assume positive intent on the part of other people rather than jumping into being offended, either on their own behalf, or on behalf of someone else. It's going to be ok, really. Just take 2 steps back as was suggested previously, and give it a few days.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
February 18th, 2014 at 1:56:58 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Moderation, like a pendulum, swings back and forth. Right now, in response to a lot of raised hackles, several things are in flux at the same time, and corrections and clarifications are being made.

As Face noted for himself, I have also been a secret mod, in my case for about 5 months. Both of us have been active, and this flare-up notwithstanding, I don't see a lot changing with standards for the vast majority of situations. We're just more visible in green. And things may get popped a little faster with 4 of us in green, but I don't think there will be a significant increase in the number of incidences, just in the timing.

The part that's so difficult for the Wiz, IMO, is in making this a truly open forum, there tends to be passion behind very different POV's. Culturally, the standards we were raised on (he and I are similar in age) have changed significantly and the line between disagreeing with the statement and mischaracterizing the person making the statement has become blurred and in many cases non-existent.

Look at any newspaper opinion page, television commentary, or dinner conversation with people "you thought you knew"; would Walter Cronkite say the things ANYBODY in news says now? The Wiz is re-teaching that lesson and that era of courteous disagreement in his moderation standard, and it's very hard work. He is also overly kind and tolerant based on his personal ethos; this is not a flaw, but it can and does rise up and bite him. So he's making some hard decisions from his personal point of decorum, which, considering he is the sole host financing this site and DT, is entirely his right.

I think it would be doing him a great courtesy if everybody just relaxed, continued to post their thoughts (because he's been gracious enough to listen to and provide avenues for questions), and above all, assume positive intent on the part of other people rather than jumping into being offended, either on their own behalf, or on behalf of someone else. It's going to be ok, really. Just take 2 steps back as was suggested previously, and give it a few days.

Funnily enough, I felt that it was very likely (although I didn't want to speculate publicly) that you were a secret admin. I'm not sure why; it just sort of seemed that way.

On the other hand, I had no idea at all about Face.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
February 18th, 2014 at 2:28:10 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I didn't know someone else here followed Cricket!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
February 18th, 2014 at 2:30:07 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

The question is how many do we have now?

I wish someone would work four hours a day for me with no pay.

I generally have fun Administrating the Forums, and I'm already cooped up with nothing really to do most of the time I am on here. You'll notice I post much less and rarely, but sometimes, don't make an appearance at all on days off.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
February 18th, 2014 at 2:34:14 PM permalink

Funnily enough, I felt that it was very likely (although I didn't want to speculate publicly) that you were a secret admin. I'm not sure why; it just sort of seemed that way.

On the other hand, I had no idea at all about Face.

Yeah, I kind of outed myself recently in trying to help (from my POV) BizzyB get in synch with the moderation here when he first got on, but oddly enough, I wasn't a SA until a bit after that; I just was giving him an inmate whisper at the time, if you get my drift. I have a little bit of pollyanna in me that can be annoying (feel free to agree without ruffling my feathers) but if I saw an interesting person who obviously didn't read the moderation rules, I would say something to them about the insult they posted just to keep them from being banned and probably not coming back. In a couple cases, they caught on and fixed the problem; in Bizzy's case, not so much. Wasn't often - I think 3 times. Then a couple more since I was an SA.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 18th, 2014 at 2:34:30 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I didn't know someone else here followed Cricket!

The Leafs are a Golf Club with a hockey problem. :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
aceofspades
aceofspades
February 18th, 2014 at 2:36:20 PM permalink
I have a question that is both practical and philosophical in nature…….can a forum member post an insult about themselves (in reality, they are indeed insulting a forum member, that member just happens to be themselves)…?
1BB
1BB
February 18th, 2014 at 2:38:07 PM permalink
Does anyone remember the TV show, Mr Ed? Here's the third verse of the show's theme song:

People yak-it-ti-yak a streak

and waste your time of day,

but Mister Ed will never speak

unless he has something to say ...

Thus makes me think of our own JB. He doesn't feel the need to get his post count up or insert himself into every thread. In my opinion this makes him an outstanding administrator. When he does post, you can be certain that it will be something of value.

This is my opinion of JB and is in no way a swipe, veiled or otherwise, real or imagined against any other person, living or dead. Carry on.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 18th, 2014 at 2:38:12 PM permalink

I have a question that is both practical and philosophical in nature…….can a forum member post an insult about themselves (in reality, they are indeed insulting a forum member, that member just happens to be themselves)…?

thecesspit frequently mentions he's a Lions fan. I believe that answers your question ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
February 18th, 2014 at 2:41:42 PM permalink

I believe we had that happen recently, and as long as no one agrees with you... Then no rules have been broken. A policy which I think does make sense.
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
February 18th, 2014 at 8:40:38 PM permalink
I don't see where she did anything wrong so why did juciejennie get the gavel, hey hey?
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
Mission146
Mission146
February 18th, 2014 at 8:45:25 PM permalink
Quote: soxfan

I don't see where she did anything wrong so why did juciejennie get the gavel, hey hey?

If people are going to accuse me of issuing bans capriciously, I'm just going to start actually doing it, hey hey!

That's why JuicieJennie got banned. I have a Roulette wheel with all of the Members' handles on it.

I'm just kidding, I don't know the reason at this time...there is one, though...and we will soon be enlightened with it.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
February 18th, 2014 at 8:48:16 PM permalink
It's going to turn out she's a hairy man named Jerry Logan???
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 18th, 2014 at 8:48:39 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
February 18th, 2014 at 8:50:29 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

All of the drama is talked about in other forums too....

http://blackjacktheforum.com/showthread.php?20383-Wizard-of-Odds

lol @ the waste of electrons comment
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 18th, 2014 at 8:52:23 PM permalink
So was JJ just an elaborate hoax? That would be so funny.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 18th, 2014 at 8:54:00 PM permalink

lol @ the waste of electrons comment

Yeah, that was such a dumb comment. Why electrons anyway? Why not positrons? lol
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 18th, 2014 at 8:54:09 PM permalink
Tit for tat, but no tit perhaps.
I am a robot.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
February 18th, 2014 at 8:54:57 PM permalink
JJ is real. The explanation is forthcoming. Patience, please.
  • Jump to: