Thread Rating:

AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
May 25th, 2022 at 6:37:41 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: AlanMendelson

If you called me an idiot for playing craps I would not be insulted.

well, that's very interesting Alan, but that's just you

I think many would be insulted if they were called an idiot because they play craps

so, obviously, the forum cannot tailor its rules just to suit you___________so, that's why there is so much subjectivity

link to original post

Fair enough.

For the record I was against the recent self imposed suspensions over the 2 dice question.

I think the frustration and the expressions made out of frustration only proved my point from the beginning -- that the question was designed to confuse and frustrate because it was so poorly written.

After all, who talks that way?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 25th, 2022 at 6:51:59 AM permalink

Would the meaning of a phrase change if the person using the phrase was on your side of an argument?

Is questioning bad? Does questioning become bad when it doesn't show your point of view?
link to original post

Not to worry, Alan. I saw the rest of it.

Some questions are rooted in the absence of knowledge.
Some questions are intended to further Socratic dialogue.
Some questions are the troll's version of a koan.

Quote: Ben Folds

The answer you seek, my son, only poses more questions.

May the cards fall in your favor.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 25th, 2022 at 7:09:38 AM permalink
I thought only Jewish people answered a question with a question?

No?

Yes?

New?

So?

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3298162,00.html
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
May 25th, 2022 at 7:31:45 AM permalink

No?

Yes?

New?

So?

link to original post

Shalom Alan
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 25th, 2022 at 7:41:22 AM permalink

If you called me an idiot for playing craps I would not be insulted.

If you called me an addict for playing craps I would be insulted, offended and I would want the moderators to take action.

The term "idiot" is loosely used. "Addict" is pointed and damaging and conveys a real problem that can affect someone's life, business and family.
link to original post

If any member calls any member an idiot or an addict, they can expect to be suspended, whether Alan is the subject or not.
We do not maintain lists of who is happy to be insulted.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 25th, 2022 at 8:00:41 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

If any member calls any member an idiot or an addict, they can expect to be suspended, whether Alan is the subject or not.
We do not maintain lists of who is happy to be insulted.
link to original post

Just for reference, how many times would a person have to insult themselves to get permanently banned..
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
Thanked by
DeMango
May 25th, 2022 at 8:14:12 AM permalink
If you guys could just suspend losers, this place would be a lot quieter. (joke)
aahigh.com
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 25th, 2022 at 8:48:31 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Just for reference, how many times would a person have to insult themselves to get permanently banned..
link to original post

We don't penalise for self abuse. If we did, several ****ers would have long been nuked. $;o)

Quote: Ahigh

If you guys could just suspend losers, this place would be a lot quieter. (joke)
link to original post

I believe it's spelled ''luzers"

"Members"
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
May 25th, 2022 at 8:54:11 AM permalink

No?

Yes?

New?

So?

link to original post

Is Coachbelly Jewish? Doesn't seem like it.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 25th, 2022 at 8:57:26 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

No?

Yes?

New?

So?

link to original post

link to original post

You can tell someone's religious background by their posts? Impressive.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
coachbelly
coachbelly
  • Threads: 1
May 25th, 2022 at 9:06:12 AM permalink

What can I do here to seem Jewish?...or more Jewish, whatever the case may be.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 25th, 2022 at 9:40:24 AM permalink

link to original post

Isn't it a common practice in a variety of philosophical pursuits?
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
May 25th, 2022 at 9:42:20 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

link to original post

Are you answering a question with a question? Who does that?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ahigh
Ahigh
May 25th, 2022 at 9:46:43 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: Dieter

link to original post

link to original post

Are you answering a question with a question? Who does that?
link to original post

Speaking of JEWISH people, what do you get when you cross a CHINESE GUY with a ROOSTER? -----

Caucasian!
aahigh.com
darkoz
darkoz
May 25th, 2022 at 9:52:14 AM permalink
Quote: coachbelly

link to original post

Keep answering questions with questions, LMAO.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
OnceDear
May 25th, 2022 at 10:13:52 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

If any member calls any member an idiot or an addict, they can expect to be suspended...

Forum rule number one prohibits ad hominem attacks: " If you disagree with another forum member, politely attack the writing, not the writer."

If Johnny pisses you off you cannot get away saying "johnny, you really suck the big one" you'll be shown the door.

Don't go down that path: post smarter and more politely.

You could write something like: "Johnny, when you wrote about how you saw dice leap off the table and land in a buxom blonde's cleavage 17 times in a row, well, let's just say that not only do I question the foundation and veracity of the observation, I also question your good faith in posting it on this supposedly math-based board. Remember, the laws of probability never sleep, although you yourself may have nodded off and dreamed up the event you just described."

There, see how easy that was kids?

Just tone it down, pretty it up, then fire for effect.
"What, me worry?"
coachbelly
coachbelly
May 25th, 2022 at 10:17:23 AM permalink

Keep answering questions with questions

But you wrote (below) that I don't seem Jewish.

I think you're sending mixed signals here.

Did you ask if I'm Jewish because I've answered questions with questions?

Or did you comment that I don't seem Jewish, because I don't answer questions with questions?

Or was there some non-Jewish characteristic you recognized in my posts?
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
OnceDear
May 25th, 2022 at 10:22:23 AM permalink
Do we see a new potential revenue stream?
WOV fishing licenses?
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
OnceDear
May 25th, 2022 at 12:17:24 PM permalink

No?

Yes?

New?

So?

link to original post

I don't have a thin skin, but this moderator is part Jewish and isn't amused at the ethnic slur in the above post and the string of subsequent posts with ethnic Jewish remarks that were provoked by this. Especially when it comes from a member who just earlier criticized the moderators, per se:

{snip}
In most States there are laws against arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable actions. Forum moderation unfortunately is sometimes arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable.

The most glaring of the arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable is when some participants get only a warning or a more severe suspension than others have received.

{snip}
link to original post

AlanMendelson, I want to avoid being arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable.

Perhaps you would like to step in for the moderators and determine what your penalty should be for making that ethnic slur?
a) No action
b) Warning about making ethnic slurs
c) 3 day suspension
d) 7 day suspension
Show us how easy this is!
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 25th, 2022 at 12:44:29 PM permalink
If you nuked me you'd never have to deal with 1/6 again. But that would be arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable and it would show no Jewish sense of humor and I couldn't call on any Rabbis to come to my defense.

https://youtu.be/GkyzMWxK67U
Ahigh
Ahigh
May 25th, 2022 at 1:27:57 PM permalink
Maybe if you made words bad and attacked the words we could have consistent rules for how to abuse one another online for using the wrong ones.
aahigh.com
darkoz
darkoz
May 25th, 2022 at 1:34:36 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

No?

Yes?

New?

So?

link to original post

I don't have a thin skin, but this moderator is part Jewish and isn't amused at the ethnic slur in the above post and the string of subsequent posts with ethnic Jewish remarks that were provoked by this. Especially when it comes from a member who just earlier criticized the moderators, per se:

{snip}
In most States there are laws against arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable actions. Forum moderation unfortunately is sometimes arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable.

The most glaring of the arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable is when some participants get only a warning or a more severe suspension than others have received.

{snip}
link to original post

AlanMendelson, I want to avoid being arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable.

Perhaps you would like to step in for the moderators and determine what your penalty should be for making that ethnic slur?
a) No action
b) Warning about making ethnic slurs
c) 3 day suspension
d) 7 day suspension
Show us how easy this is!
link to original post

In Alan's defense and as a fellow Jew, I was raised under the guidance that fellow Jews can make fun and make Jewish slurs all day long as long as it's coming from another Jew.

My mom used to read me the most ethnically insulting Yiddish fables but we all just laughed at the stupidity. They were written by Yiddish Jews, after all!.

EDIT:. My favorite Yiddish tale was the Jewish farmer who kept trying to milk the bulls and couldn't figure out why no milk was forthcoming. One wonders just what he kept pulling!!!
DeMango
DeMango
May 25th, 2022 at 1:39:56 PM permalink
Latest ethnic slur; "You Jackie you"!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
MrV
MrV
May 25th, 2022 at 1:45:11 PM permalink

My favorite Yiddish tale was the Jewish farmer who kept trying to milk the bulls and couldn't figure out why no milk was forthcoming. One wonders just what he kept pulling!!!

Speaking of bull semen, I recall a case in the late seventies where some hotel guest was picking his scabs with a needle while sitting in a comfy chair in a hotel lobby and he left the needle there; a different guest later used the chair and accidentally stabbed his hand with the needle.

Seems the victim worked at a dairy and his primary job was to "milk the bulls," i.e. manually stroke their bovine johnsons to produce / collect semen for artificially impregnating cows.

Massive infection and disability ensued from his wound; he lawyered up and argued that he could no longer perform his job.

The poor wretch got a nice settlement.
"What, me worry?"
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
May 25th, 2022 at 1:51:55 PM permalink

If you nuked me you'd never have to deal with 1/6 again. But that would be arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable and it would show no Jewish sense of humor and I couldn't call on any Rabbis to come to my defense.

link to original post

I didn't even list nuking as one of your choices! After the usual discussion amongst moderators, I am issuing you a mildly-worded warning*: Please use better judgment in the future.

*We recognize there was no real malice or intended insult on your part. IMO, the problem with a "no-action" is that others can claim it as a precedent that comments about Jewish people are considered to be permissible. That could spin out of control.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
MrV
MrV
May 25th, 2022 at 1:55:51 PM permalink
Question: if two posters are black and that fact is known to the mods, would it be a suspenable offense for them to refer to each other using the "N" word?

Keepin' it real, yo.
"What, me worry?"
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
May 25th, 2022 at 2:01:22 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Seems the victim worked at a dairy and his primary job was to "milk the bulls," i.e. manually stroke their bovine johnsons to produce / collect semen for artificially impregnating cows.

Massive infection and disability ensued from his wound; he lawyered up and argued that he could no longer perform his job.

The poor wretch got a nice settlement.
link to original post

Seems that disability could affect his personal life as well. I hope the settlement was sufficient for him to get professional help with that. ;-)
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
DieterOnceDear
May 25th, 2022 at 2:02:23 PM permalink

Question: if two posters are black and that fact is known to the mods, would it be a suspenable offense for them to refer to each other using the "N" word?
link to original post

Yes
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
May 25th, 2022 at 2:03:55 PM permalink

In Alan's defense and as a fellow Jew, I was raised under the guidance that fellow Jews can make fun and make Jewish slurs all day long as long as it's coming from another Jew.

My mom used to read me the most ethnically insulting Yiddish fables but we all just laughed at the stupidity. They were written by Yiddish Jews, after all!.

EDIT:. My favorite Yiddish tale was the Jewish farmer who kept trying to milk the bulls and couldn't figure out why no milk was forthcoming. One wonders just what he kept pulling!!!
link to original post

I wondered if Alan was Jewish but felt it was not proper to assume or ask.

I almost always laugh at Jewish jokes as well. But in on-line posts, I think it would be wise to package them so that it is clear that no offense is meant - as you packaged your Yiddish tale by saying that you are "a fellow Jew" whose family has always laughed at stories about Jews.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
May 25th, 2022 at 2:10:22 PM permalink

Keepin' it real, yo.
link to original post

Good job Matlock. 👏
darkoz
darkoz
May 25th, 2022 at 2:26:42 PM permalink

Keepin' it real, yo.
link to original post

Black people refer to themselves with the N-word ending in "ah" affectionately and ending in "er" as an insult to their own kind

I have mixed heritage children and my current family is inter-racial so I hear and am explained the distinction often although I am certain it's an unofficial distinction.

EDIT: I have two families, the one with grown kids already living on their own with my grandkids and my current family living with me, my wife and four year old so I refer to them as my current family. But we all are family lol.
billryan
billryan
May 25th, 2022 at 2:38:06 PM permalink
I suggest we all submit DNA so the moderators will know if it is okay for a member to insult a particular race or religion.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
May 25th, 2022 at 2:54:16 PM permalink

link to original post

Do you remember that somehow you were offended by my "smelling the pot roast" comment, and I was suspended? You never apologized to me, and the mods somehow were arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable by jumping to conclusions without any sort of investigation or PM query. Double standard??

tuttigym
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 25th, 2022 at 3:09:29 PM permalink
DeMango
DeMango
May 25th, 2022 at 3:30:09 PM permalink

link to original post

I wondered if Alan was Jewish but felt it was not proper to assume or ask.

I almost always laugh at Jewish jokes as well. But in on-line posts, I think it would be wise to package them so that it is clear that no offense is meant - as you packaged your Yiddish tale by saying that you are "a fellow Jew" whose family has always laughed at stories about Jews.
link to original post

Obviously someone hasn't seen the iconic wedding picture at Caesars Palace craps table. Maybe on file here?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 25th, 2022 at 3:41:38 PM permalink
Yes I'm Jewish. Bar Mitzvah and all. My children were raised Jewish. I am not Kosher and not orthodox. I love lobster and shrimp and bacon cheeseburgers with a chocolate milk shake.

Actually I'm surprised anyone would consider Jewish people answering a question with a question as a slur?.I always thought it was a joke.

I just learned something -- that others consider it a slur.

And yes, when I was married at a craps table at Caesars Palace a Rabbi officiated a rather lengthy Jewish ceremony and I broke the wine glass following tradition. I don't know if the Rabbi brought it or if Caesars provided it, but the casino grew quiet as the long ceremony continued and when I stomped on the glass there was a roar of Mazel Tov.
MrV
MrV
May 25th, 2022 at 3:46:04 PM permalink
Alas, you sevened out on that one, but hey, hope springs eternal in the heart of a gambler..

Alan, I have the pic and will repost it only with your permission.
"What, me worry?"
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 25th, 2022 at 3:54:45 PM permalink

Alas, you sevened out on that one, but hey, hope springs eternal in the heart of a gambler..

Alan, I have the pic and will repost it only with your permission.
link to original post

It was a long roll before the 7 out. Shelley and I are still close. A couple of years ago we went back to Caesars for a weekend. In fact it was one of those weekends when I hit a 100k royal.

Yes, you can repost the picture. Shelley and I were talking about it just a couple of nights ago.

By the way, last year when she was attending a relatives Bas Mitzvah I arranged for a comped room for her and her boyfriend at Red Rock.

Shelley's uncle was a former NGC Chairman. It's how i met Sheldon.
coachbelly
coachbelly
May 25th, 2022 at 3:57:20 PM permalink

Maybe if you made words bad and attacked the words we could have consistent rules for how to abuse one another online for using the wrong ones.

Quote: Dave Chappelle

This is many years ago, 15 years ago. It was when I was doing Chappelle’s Show. I made a mistake. I didn’t even know I’d done anything wrong. I had written a sketch… that had the word… “f a g g o t” in it. So I had to go to Standards and Practices. They call me up. I don’t know why they’re calling me, but I like the lady that runs the department. She’s usually really fair and was one of my favorite people I’ve ever worked with. So she sits me down. We have a nice conversation. She tells me, “Oh, the sketches are great.” I go, “Oh, fantastic. Well, then… well, then, why am I here?” She said, “Because, David, there’s no way… that you can ever say the word… “f a g g o t” on our network.

I didn’t know I did anything wrong. I didn’t try to defend myself. I said, “All right. F it, I’ll take it out. Have a good afternoon.” And as I was leaving, it occurred to me. “Hey. Hey, Renée, quick question. It’s just a question. Seriously, I wanna know. Like, why is it that I can say the word “n i g g e r” with impunity… …but I can’t say the word “f a g g o t”?” And she said, “Because, David, you are not gay.”

MrV
MrV
May 25th, 2022 at 4:37:24 PM permalink
Dang, can't find the wedding pic.

Anybody else got it?
"What, me worry?"
Ahigh
Ahigh
May 25th, 2022 at 4:45:28 PM permalink
On social media networks, there are those who sadistically troll people into behaving in illegal ways. Those are the worst criminals of all. These type of people antagonize, even children, to cut themselves and other horrible atrocities.

Nothing like what happens in this civil forum.
aahigh.com
coachbelly
coachbelly
May 25th, 2022 at 4:47:51 PM permalink

Dang, can't find the wedding pic.

Anybody else got it?

You should be able to find it on that other forum that you like so much.
coachbelly
coachbelly
May 25th, 2022 at 4:50:31 PM permalink

On social media networks, there are those who sadistically troll people into behaving in illegal ways. Those are the worst criminals of all. These type of people antagonize, even children, to cut themselves and other horrible atrocities

"Every party has a pooper."

- - Debbie Downer
Ahigh
Ahigh
May 25th, 2022 at 4:57:45 PM permalink

On social media networks, there are those who sadistically troll people into behaving in illegal ways. Those are the worst criminals of all. These type of people antagonize, even children, to cut themselves and other horrible atrocities

"Every party has a pooper."

- - Debbie Downer
link to original post

"Everyone who makes vaguely directed insults that are half-jokes and half-serious is a serial killer.
Serial killers often fall victim to slippery slopes.
Therefore be careful of slippery slopes before you kill somebody."

- Someone professing to be logical
aahigh.com
coachbelly
coachbelly
May 25th, 2022 at 5:07:25 PM permalink

Serial killers often fall victim to slippery slopes.

That may be incorrect...

"Serial killers never fall victim to any slopes."

- Someone who knows all about serial killers and their interactions with slopes
MrV
MrV
May 25th, 2022 at 5:11:19 PM permalink
You're both wrong.

"Eat some killer cereal, then hit the slopes."
"What, me worry?"
darkoz
darkoz
May 25th, 2022 at 5:25:31 PM permalink
In some circles "slopes" is a racial comment!

Already a slippery, well,. let's not say slope.

Hmmm, a slippery slant.

Oh, dang, did it again!

What a chink in the armor.

Yikes, did it again!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
UP84
May 25th, 2022 at 5:42:57 PM permalink

Quote: Dave Chappelle

This is many years ago, 15 years ago. It was when I was doing Chappelle’s Show. I made a mistake. I didn’t even know I’d done anything wrong. I had written a sketch… that had the word… “f a g g o t” in it. So I had to go to Standards and Practices. They call me up. I don’t know why they’re calling me, but I like the lady that runs the department. She’s usually really fair and was one of my favorite people I’ve ever worked with. So she sits me down. We have a nice conversation. She tells me, “Oh, the sketches are great.” I go, “Oh, fantastic. Well, then… well, then, why am I here?” She said, “Because, David, there’s no way… that you can ever say the word… “f a g g o t” on our network.

I didn’t know I did anything wrong. I didn’t try to defend myself. I said, “All right. F it, I’ll take it out. Have a good afternoon.” And as I was leaving, it occurred to me. “Hey. Hey, Renée, quick question. It’s just a question. Seriously, I wanna know. Like, why is it that I can say the word “n i g g e r” with impunity… …but I can’t say the word “f a g g o t”?” And she said, “Because, David, you are not gay.”

link to original post

Coachbelly has been immediately suspended for a Rule 18 violation, suspension length TBD, pending review by the full moderator team.
MrV
MrV
May 25th, 2022 at 8:07:33 PM permalink

Coachbelly has been immediately suspended for a Rule 18 violation

A "Hate speech" violation, eh?

Let's dig deeper...

"Hate speech" defined: "abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.?

Where is the abuse or threat?

He was quoting what a black man said lampooning the idiocy of political correctness, and there was no abuse or threat at any point.

What ever happened to having to show bad intent?

What, we dare not utter these words, no matter what the context?
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
May 25th, 2022 at 8:59:48 PM permalink

Coachbelly has been immediately suspended for a Rule 18 violation

A "Hate speech" violation, eh?

Let's dig deeper...

"Hate speech" defined: "abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.?

Where is the abuse or threat?

He was quoting what a black man said lampooning the idiocy of political correctness, and there was no abuse or threat at any point.

What ever happened to having to show bad intent?

What, we dare not utter these words, no matter what the context?
link to original post

I've no problem with that word and a few others never being said again. I can't think of a legitimate use for it.
  • Jump to: