kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 211
April 4th, 2021 at 2:48:52 PM permalink
So we all know that certain members are using sockpuppets which is supposed to be not allowed here. They are getting away with it because VPN are apparently allowed here. No other forum allows VPN to hide IP addresses. Despite whatever rules you post allowing VPN is encouraging sockpuppets.

Sockpuppets are a big part of these guys and their phony claims. When absolutely no one else believes them anymore, they create new friends and supporters via sockpuppet. Rob Singer for example was the KING of sockpuppets. And there are others right now.

I am asking Wizard to reconsider the policy of allowing VPN's in the name of transparency, fairness and truth.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 31
April 4th, 2021 at 3:05:03 PM permalink
I am not on many forums, but is banning VPNs a common rule? To my knowledge I have never heard of that.

The vast majority of people who use VPNs are for privacy reasons.
kewlj
kewlj
April 4th, 2021 at 3:10:35 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

I am not on many forums, but is banning VPNs a common rule? To my knowledge I have never heard of that.

The vast majority of people who use VPNs are for privacy reasons.

If not banning them, most forums require a user to unmask for a couple posts so the admins can know if it is a sockpuppet.

No good can come from sockpuppets. It is people that have no credibility making sockpuppets for credibility. And in these times of great trolling, it is a regular forum member using sock puppets to attack someone so the sockpuppet gets banned and not the regular forum member. Almost anyway you slice it, using sockpuppets is about deceit and misrepresenting the truth and the tool for using them VPN's should not be allowed.
heatmap
heatmap 
  • Threads: 174
April 4th, 2021 at 3:16:43 PM permalink
VPNs allow for people who are being oppressed by their governments to communicate freely without worrying about people spying on them. they really have no difference when you arent connected to a VPN it all connects the same way, but you are using a FULLY ENCRYPTED connection. If i send a fully encrypted message over the connection to the wizard of vegas - aka i post a reply or any post, the text which i submit to wizard is no longer encrypted because VPNs only encrypt a connection to somewhere.

the only way to do it is ban the VPNs ip address range i would assume

whats happening here is - you think that a vpn is what is allowing a user to "mask" themselves because you believe that an IP address is ALWAYS associated with a user, which its not.

an IP address cant actually identify a user all the time because they are not usually permanent, and will change in time.

the answer to your problem is browser fingerprinting
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 313
April 4th, 2021 at 6:13:09 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

VPNs allow for people who are being oppressed by their governments to communicate freely without worrying about people spying on them.

Are you sure about that?

I thought that the government has the ability to track anything and everything to its source, virtual private network be damned.

I'm told that CIA / DIA / NSA has the tools, but then again I'm not tech-savvy.
"What, me worry?"
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
Thanks for this post from:
OnceDear
April 4th, 2021 at 6:20:42 PM permalink
Sorry KJ you are wrong about this. There is no reliable way to block users from using a VPN.
heatmap
heatmap 
Thanks for this post from:
FTB
April 4th, 2021 at 6:59:07 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Are you sure about that?

I thought that the government has the ability to track anything and everything to its source, virtual private network be damned.

I'm told that CIA / DIA / NSA has the tools, but then again I'm not tech-savvy.

VPNs locations are easily trackable - you are talking about TOR

lets put it this way - if you arent on a VPN - your internet provider and anyone who is on your internal wifi or network can see WHAT WEBSITES YOU GO TO and possibly WHAT YOU ARE SAYING TO THOSE WEBSITES

VPNs - anyone knows you are talking to the VPN, but no clue what that VPN is saying back and fourth to you - the VPN is like a PROXY that contacts a website for you so you appear to be coming from a different IP - which is what i think KewlJ is worried about

proxys allow you to "act" like you are coming from a different IP address
kewlj
kewlj
April 4th, 2021 at 7:10:21 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Sorry KJ you are wrong about this. There is no reliable way to block users from using a VPN.

On another website than many members her are also members of, the owner makes accounts suspected of being a sockpuppet and using a VPN, unmask, for one or two posts so he can see their real IP address. This all but eliminates the sockpuppet problem. I just think that should be done here, especially when many members raise concerns over what appears to an sockpuppet account here only to lend false credibility.
heatmap
heatmap 
April 4th, 2021 at 7:14:38 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

On another website than many members her are also members of, the owner makes accounts suspected of being a sockpuppet and using a VPN, unmask, for one or two posts so he can see their real IP address. This all but eliminates the sockpuppet problem. I just think that should be done here, especially when many members raise concerns over what appears to an sockpuppet account here only to lend false credibility.

like i said you could have a list of ALL the VPN providers IP address range and anyone coming from the IP range could be known as a VPN user but i would say that work computers use VPNs alot
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
April 4th, 2021 at 8:24:30 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

There are only a few ways you could do this.

Then first is to compare the IP address against a list of known VPN service IP’s. That might work fine if the sock is using a popular service like Nord VPN or something, but that list is never going to be concise. There are thousands of small “mom and pop” VPN services, it would be like whack a mole.

The other way is that if the IP of the user is from a different geographical area than wherever than what would match their backstory. People post on forums with varying levels of anonymity, but for the most part everyone’s general whereabouts are known. If someone claiming to be a Vegas baccarat whale is posting from a German IP address, something is probably up.

The second method takes a decent amount of sleuthing which I doubt most forum moderation would have an appetite for.

• Jump to: