kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
April 4th, 2021 at 2:48:52 PM permalink
So we all know that certain members are using sockpuppets which is supposed to be not allowed here. They are getting away with it because VPN are apparently allowed here. No other forum allows VPN to hide IP addresses. Despite whatever rules you post allowing VPN is encouraging sockpuppets.

Sockpuppets are a big part of these guys and their phony claims. When absolutely no one else believes them anymore, they create new friends and supporters via sockpuppet. Rob Singer for example was the KING of sockpuppets. And there are others right now.

I am asking Wizard to reconsider the policy of allowing VPN's in the name of transparency, fairness and truth.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
April 4th, 2021 at 3:05:03 PM permalink
I am not on many forums, but is banning VPNs a common rule? To my knowledge I have never heard of that.

The vast majority of people who use VPNs are for privacy reasons.
kewlj
kewlj
April 4th, 2021 at 3:10:35 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

I am not on many forums, but is banning VPNs a common rule? To my knowledge I have never heard of that.

If not banning them, most forums require a user to unmask for a couple posts so the admins can know if it is a sockpuppet.

No good can come from sockpuppets. It is people that have no credibility making sockpuppets for credibility. And in these times of great trolling, it is a regular forum member using sock puppets to attack someone so the sockpuppet gets banned and not the regular forum member. Almost anyway you slice it, using sockpuppets is about deceit and misrepresenting the truth and the tool for using them VPN's should not be allowed.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
April 4th, 2021 at 3:16:43 PM permalink
VPNs allow for people who are being oppressed by their governments to communicate freely without worrying about people spying on them. they really have no difference when you arent connected to a VPN it all connects the same way, but you are using a FULLY ENCRYPTED connection. If i send a fully encrypted message over the connection to the wizard of vegas - aka i post a reply or any post, the text which i submit to wizard is no longer encrypted because VPNs only encrypt a connection to somewhere.

the only way to do it is ban the VPNs ip address range i would assume

whats happening here is - you think that a vpn is what is allowing a user to "mask" themselves because you believe that an IP address is ALWAYS associated with a user, which its not.

an IP address cant actually identify a user all the time because they are not usually permanent, and will change in time.

the answer to your problem is browser fingerprinting
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 4th, 2021 at 6:13:09 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

VPNs allow for people who are being oppressed by their governments to communicate freely without worrying about people spying on them.

Are you sure about that?

I thought that the government has the ability to track anything and everything to its source, virtual private network be damned.

I'm told that CIA / DIA / NSA has the tools, but then again I'm not tech-savvy.
"What, me worry?"
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
OnceDear
April 4th, 2021 at 6:20:42 PM permalink
Sorry KJ you are wrong about this. There is no reliable way to block users from using a VPN.
heatmap
heatmap
Thanked by
FTB
April 4th, 2021 at 6:59:07 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Are you sure about that?

I thought that the government has the ability to track anything and everything to its source, virtual private network be damned.

I'm told that CIA / DIA / NSA has the tools, but then again I'm not tech-savvy.

VPNs locations are easily trackable - you are talking about TOR

lets put it this way - if you arent on a VPN - your internet provider and anyone who is on your internal wifi or network can see WHAT WEBSITES YOU GO TO and possibly WHAT YOU ARE SAYING TO THOSE WEBSITES

VPNs - anyone knows you are talking to the VPN, but no clue what that VPN is saying back and fourth to you - the VPN is like a PROXY that contacts a website for you so you appear to be coming from a different IP - which is what i think KewlJ is worried about

proxys allow you to "act" like you are coming from a different IP address
kewlj
kewlj
April 4th, 2021 at 7:10:21 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Sorry KJ you are wrong about this. There is no reliable way to block users from using a VPN.

On another website than many members her are also members of, the owner makes accounts suspected of being a sockpuppet and using a VPN, unmask, for one or two posts so he can see their real IP address. This all but eliminates the sockpuppet problem. I just think that should be done here, especially when many members raise concerns over what appears to an sockpuppet account here only to lend false credibility.
heatmap
heatmap
April 4th, 2021 at 7:14:38 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

On another website than many members her are also members of, the owner makes accounts suspected of being a sockpuppet and using a VPN, unmask, for one or two posts so he can see their real IP address. This all but eliminates the sockpuppet problem. I just think that should be done here, especially when many members raise concerns over what appears to an sockpuppet account here only to lend false credibility.

like i said you could have a list of ALL the VPN providers IP address range and anyone coming from the IP range could be known as a VPN user but i would say that work computers use VPNs alot
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
April 4th, 2021 at 8:24:30 PM permalink

There are only a few ways you could do this.

Then first is to compare the IP address against a list of known VPN service IP’s. That might work fine if the sock is using a popular service like Nord VPN or something, but that list is never going to be concise. There are thousands of small “mom and pop” VPN services, it would be like whack a mole.

The other way is that if the IP of the user is from a different geographical area than wherever than what would match their backstory. People post on forums with varying levels of anonymity, but for the most part everyone’s general whereabouts are known. If someone claiming to be a Vegas baccarat whale is posting from a German IP address, something is probably up.

The second method takes a decent amount of sleuthing which I doubt most forum moderation would have an appetite for.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 4th, 2021 at 9:24:50 PM permalink
I got banned here after my first post because Mike seemed to think I was a sock puppet posting from the Mid-West. A week or so later, he sort of apologized and reinstated me.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
April 4th, 2021 at 11:10:09 PM permalink
Trying to tie the source IP address of a communication with who is sending that communication is so last century. VPNs aside, if I post from my cell phone the IP address might be what my ISP provides for my home. Or the cell tower nearest me as I travel. Or the address provided by the WiFi of the coffee shop I’m visiting. Effectively eliminating (or at least reducing) the use of sock puppets is a matter best handled by the policies and procedures used for new account registration.

Edit. And, by the way, browser fingerprinting as a means of tracking identity might work now, but the big dogs continue to reduce the ability to use that.
Last edited by: BleedingChipsSlowly on Apr 4, 2021
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 639
April 5th, 2021 at 4:23:02 AM permalink

So we all know that certain members are using sockpuppets which is supposed to be not allowed here. They are getting away with it because VPN are apparently allowed here. No other forum allows VPN to hide IP addresses. Despite whatever rules you post allowing VPN is encouraging sockpuppets.

Sockpuppets are a big part of these guys and their phony claims. When absolutely no one else believes them anymore, they create new friends and supporters via sockpuppet. Rob Singer for example was the KING of sockpuppets. And there are others right now.

I am asking Wizard to reconsider the policy of allowing VPN's in the name of transparency, fairness and truth.

how about just banning vpn's when creating accts?
allow vpn's after the acct is created?
or allow vpn's after 10 posts?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
speedycrapFTB
April 5th, 2021 at 4:24:39 AM permalink

So we all know that certain members are using sockpuppets which is supposed to be not allowed here. They are getting away with it because VPN are apparently allowed here.

KewlJ. Already, I feel that you are side-stepping the spirit of your recent agreement with Wizard. Timing and context tell me that you are again going after you know who. We don't need any more threads about him! This is my first and final warning to you on that!
Quote:

No other forum allows VPN to hide IP addresses. Despite whatever rules you post allowing VPN is encouraging sockpuppets

Detecting Socks and detecting VPN's is not an exact science. Sometimes we can absolutely identify them. Sometimes we can't. We have had some quite successful socks that did not use vpns and there are perfectly legitimate reasons to use vpns to connect. E.g. I cannot connect to here from certain sites without using my vpn. Also, one might reasonably want to remain anonymous! Both from the visited site and from the internet connection site.

I'll tell you what does encourage sock-puppets: Blabbing about how they might succeed in going undetected.

If not banning them, most forums require a user to unmask for a couple posts so the admins can know if it is a sockpuppet. Almost anyway you slice it, using sockpuppets is about deceit and misrepresenting the truth and the tool for using them VPN's should not be allowed.

Kewl... THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT HERE for anyone to prove who he/she IS OR IS NOT. No demand for face to face interview. No demand to see ID and No demand for unmasking of IP. No need for ANY Personal Identifying Information. NONE!
What other forums permit or demand is up to them.

Here. Users are not obliged to prove that they are not sock-puppets by revealing anything about themselves. Not even real IP address or real location. Sure. It makes life easier for ne'er do wells. Get over it!
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
April 5th, 2021 at 5:24:50 AM permalink
Not to mention all the conspiracy theories about why the site would want an unmasked IP if the site did require it.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
kewlj
kewlj
April 5th, 2021 at 8:23:56 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

KewlJ. Already, I feel that you are side-stepping the spirit of your recent agreement with Wizard. Timing and context tell me that you are again going after you know who. We don't need any more threads about him! This is my first and final warning to you on that!

Detecting Socks and detecting VPN's is not an exact science. Sometimes we can absolutely identify them. Sometimes we can't. We have had some quite successful socks that did not use vpns and there are perfectly legitimate reasons to use vpns to connect. E.g. I cannot connect to here from certain sites without using my vpn. Also, one might reasonably want to remain anonymous! Both from the visited site and from the internet connection site.

I'll tell you what does encourage sock-puppets: Blabbing about how they might succeed in going undetected.

Kewl... THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT HERE for anyone to prove who he/she IS OR IS NOT. No demand for face to face interview. No demand to see ID and No demand for unmasking of IP. No need for ANY Personal Identifying Information. NONE!

Here. Users are not obliged to prove that they are not sock-puppets by revealing anything about themselves. Not even real IP address or real location. Sure. It makes life easier for ne'er do wells. Get over it!

This is more than about any one member. There have been other situations in the past and WILL be more and more after that. It is about doing everything possible to stop it. It is about credibility. And I am not talking about any one present day person. There is a kind of self-policing that occurs and rightfully so. What I mean by that is a person (past, current and future) come on and makes claims that are extremely unlikely, winning by ways that the math dose not support. membership gets to express their doubts and opinions.

And when it gets pretty lopsided, let me go back to the case of Rob Singer and there is no one left that believes the claims...the person has essentially been discredited. Then all of the sudden, "new" members pop up supporting the claims and methodology, giving the claimant new life and new credibility. That is not right. It is not fair. I didn't know the policy in the past, now that I do, I can see how that allows these situations to continue and will continue into the future. I think this loophole should be closed. If it had been closed with Singer and a few others, we wouldn't be talking about it now or with future situation.

I'll address privacy in following, so as not to run on too long.
kewlj
kewlj
April 5th, 2021 at 8:35:33 AM permalink
PRIVACY: I don't see this as a privacy issue. There is no one more concerned about privacy than I. I actually take a lot of heat from fellow AP's because I am not comfortable with meetup's and hanging out as a group of the local AP's are. So this isn't about privacy. It is about deception and misleading. If a member has a back story with unusual claims of success in Vegas, and his IP address reveals he lives in Idaho, or east Bubble-you-know what, or Canada, or Europe, I think management should be able to reveal that. That is not a violation of privacy.

We all give up a little privacy when we participate on a forum. You trust the owner/management to not reveal your name and who you are. During my "hiatus" from here, I was on another forum, Gambling Forums for a while, with a group that included known APs, and members from even here. After about a year it was revealed that the owner was doing some things that make him not trust-worthy of that information and there was a mass exodus. No one feels that way here. No one not trusts Wizard. If he should find out my name or age, or description, I have no doubt he would protect that. But calling out someone posting thousands of miles away from their back story and claims, and calling out sockpuppets designed ONLY to give false credibility to an otherwise discredited claim and member, is not a violation of privacy.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
April 5th, 2021 at 9:49:50 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Frequently VPNs are not allowed.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
April 5th, 2021 at 9:58:09 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Kewlj is simply saying members should not post thru VPNs.

There's nothing wrong with the suggestion.

If two or more members posted from the same IP address it can indicate a sock puppet or multiple member IDs.

Use a VPN if you like, but not when you post on a forum that doesn't allow socks or multiple identities.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
April 5th, 2021 at 10:00:58 AM permalink

This is more than about any one member. There have been other situations in the past and WILL be more and more after that. It is about doing everything possible to stop it. It is about credibility. And I am not talking about any one present day person. There is a kind of self-policing that occurs and rightfully so. What I mean by that is a person (past, current and future) come on and makes claims that are extremely unlikely, winning by ways that the math dose not support. membership gets to express their doubts and opinions.

And when it gets pretty lopsided, let me go back to the case of Rob Singer and there is no one left that believes the claims...the person has essentially been discredited. Then all of the sudden, "new" members pop up supporting the claims and methodology, giving the claimant new life and new credibility. That is not right. It is not fair. I didn't know the policy in the past, now that I do, I can see how that allows these situations to continue and will continue into the future. I think this loophole should be closed. If it had been closed with Singer and a few others, we wouldn't be talking about it now or with future situation.

I'll address privacy in following, so as not to run on too long.

Kewlj, you are one member I envy. You love what you do, you are good at it and you are successful.
But one thing I would like to share with you. When someone says something "unbelievable" or "unreal", it does not mean it is really "unbelievable" or "unreal". Why I say that? My own life experience. I have experienced something that only "happen" in a movie set. "They are so unreal and cannot happen" But it did happen right in front of me and and I was right in the middle of it. The only advice is: Use your judgement. Also, it comes with the old saying. When something is too good to be true, it probably is.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
April 5th, 2021 at 10:05:46 AM permalink

PRIVACY: I don't see this as a privacy issue. There is no one more concerned about privacy than I. I actually take a lot of heat from fellow AP's because I am not comfortable with meetup's and hanging out as a group of the local AP's are. So this isn't about privacy. It is about deception and misleading. If a member has a back story with unusual claims of success in Vegas, and his IP address reveals he lives in Idaho, or east Bubble-you-know what, or Canada, or Europe, I think management should be able to reveal that. That is not a violation of privacy.

We all give up a little privacy when we participate on a forum. You trust the owner/management to not reveal your name and who you are. During my "hiatus" from here, I was on another forum, Gambling Forums for a while, with a group that included known APs, and members from even here. After about a year it was revealed that the owner was doing some things that make him not trust-worthy of that information and there was a mass exodus. No one feels that way here. No one not trusts Wizard. If he should find out my name or age, or description, I have no doubt he would protect that. But calling out someone posting thousands of miles away from their back story and claims, and calling out sockpuppets designed ONLY to give false credibility to an otherwise discredited claim and member, is not a violation of privacy.

Privacy is a very important issue nowadays. I never like to disclose my own identity and location. It does not mean I like to hurt/harass anybody. It is only my preference and I hope other people will observe and respect it.
P.S. I reveal myself to 2 honorable members.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
April 5th, 2021 at 10:09:00 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

If two or more members posted from the same IP address it can indicate a sock puppet or multiple member IDs.

Use a VPN if you like, but not when you post on a forum that doesn't allow socks or multiple identities.

I’ll restate - there is no reliable method to detect and ban VPN use on a website.

This thread seemed to be created with the misconception that VPN’s could be banned on the forum with the flip of a switch. It’s not that easy.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 5th, 2021 at 10:20:42 AM permalink
Ignore a scab and it eventually goes away. Pick at it often enough and it becomes a permanent scar. Something we learned in childhood.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
heatmap
heatmap
April 5th, 2021 at 10:26:29 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

multiple people with the same IP address can happen more often then you think because they can be coming from the same location - such as people who are in school or a coffee shop it is not an indication they are colluding although it could be used as a way to be aware of whats going on
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
Thanked by
OnceDear
April 5th, 2021 at 12:10:40 PM permalink
There are so many ways people can easily defeat the WOV sockpuppet detection task force. The head of sockpuppet security here is limited to his tools, time, and restrictions set by management. No reasonable rules could be set in place to guarantee someone is not a sockpuppet/dupe/ reincarnation. Untill someone makes a mistake, we are left with good old fashion gut feelings and logic. Most of the time it becomes abundantly clear who has the need, reason, and motivation for using supporting sockpuppets. Oftentimes, it's so obvious, it's cringe-worthy, and I'm embarrassed for them. We know the lengths people are willing to go in an attempt to have people believe in their BS, and for no other reason than some sick twisted sickness they have.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
FTB
April 5th, 2021 at 1:50:51 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

There are so many ways people can easily defeat the WOV sockpuppet detection task force. The head of sockpuppet security here is limited to his tools, time, and restrictions set by management. No reasonable rules could be set in place to guarantee someone is not a sockpuppet/dupe/ reincarnation. Untill someone makes a mistake, we are left with good old fashion gut feelings and logic. Most of the time it becomes abundantly clear who has the need, reason, and motivation for using supporting sockpuppets. Oftentimes, it's so obvious, it's cringe-worthy, and I'm embarrassed for them. We know the lengths people are willing to go in an attempt to have people believe in their BS, and for no other reason than some sick twisted sickness they have.

Cheers BNMOAT.

I'll say again. By even having this thread, we give clues to mischief makers as to how they can evade detection. So I'm not going to say what tools I/We have.
Gut and experience is a part of it. Sometimes we see a new user and KNOW it's a sock and ban him/her. We may not have proof and we may not even know which ne'er do well it is. But fortunately we have that authority from Wizard. It's used with discretion, including by wizard.
Quote: BNMOAT

No reasonable rules could be set in place to guarantee someone is not a sockpuppet/dupe/ reincarnation. Until someone makes a mistake, we are left with good old fashion gut feelings and logic.

I just wish* I didn't have to see decent contributing members frequently suspended because they cannot resist taking the bait of other clever members. I also wish junk threads could be allowed to decay gracefully instead of getting bumped all the time by said Decent members.
"I just wanted to challenge his nonsense = I just bumped his thread to the longest and most read"
"I blocked him and ignored his nonsense = I helped to bury that thread"

It's not rocket science.

*I also wish for peace on Earth and an end to disease. I'll settle for 1/3
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
April 5th, 2021 at 2:06:01 PM permalink
We cant ban VPN usage, I don't have anywhere else to keep my dirty Socks.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 5th, 2021 at 3:08:40 PM permalink

I don't think there is an easy way to screen for that. If there is, I am not aware of it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
kewlj
kewlj
April 5th, 2021 at 3:41:31 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I don't think there is an easy way to screen for that. If there is, I am not aware of it.

Dan Druff does it on his forum. I don't know how it works but he is able to detect when someone is using a VPN and requests that they unmask for a post or two to show their real IP and location, to be sure it is not a sock. I am not sure he applied this to every account but he does with the ones suspected of being sockpuppets.

Maybe the technology is different between the forums, but since Dan Druff is a member here, I will ask him to weigh in here or possible contact you privately.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 5th, 2021 at 4:41:41 PM permalink

Maybe the technology is different between the forums, but since Dan Druff is a member here, I will ask him to weigh in here or possible contact you privately.

I'd be happy to hear from him.
OnceDear
OnceDear
April 5th, 2021 at 4:46:18 PM permalink

I check IP addresses at a few info sites and SOME are clearly flagged as VPNs or proxies. But many that are vpns are not flagged as such. For those, I'm not aware of any authoritative test that would flag every VPN. So, I'd value the training too.
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
April 5th, 2021 at 5:28:48 PM permalink

I think many sights have gone to a Facebook/Twitter/Microsoft login. Not sure how that works, but it must do something.

ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
kewlj
kewlj
April 5th, 2021 at 5:35:40 PM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

I think many sights have gone to a Facebook/Twitter/Microsoft login. Not sure how that works, but it must do something.

ZCore13

Well the one I mentioned hasn't. It is a log-on same as here, although different software and that may be the difference. Also Dan Druff, who hopefully will weigh in here, has been working with/on forums for 20 years and has stated he is quite knowledgeable about this stuff.

Maybe it can't translate to here, with this software and setup. I have no idea. Was just a thought about how to get a grip on the sockpuppet problem that seems to be increasing (from my perspective).
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Thanked by
OnceDear
April 5th, 2021 at 10:46:17 PM permalink

I'm not sure how easy it is, but companies like Netflix do this. It's not foolproof and there are workarounds, but it would cut down on some of the sockpuppet accounts. I think it was probably better when people thought their VPN was fooling the sockpuppet task force.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
DanDruff
DanDruff
  • Threads: 1
Thanked by
OnceDear
April 8th, 2021 at 3:43:10 AM permalink
Yes, I am the one who kewlJ was referring to. I run Vegas Casino Talk, for those of you who don't know, and I have a "no VPN/proxy" policy.

It is indeed an inexact science to detect them, but it's not as hard as being portrayed out here. I have a way to automatically detect most of them. In fact, in a few instances when my forum was "under attack" by formerly banned users repeatedly signing back up, I actually shut down all new signups from suspected VPNs for awhile.

The biggest problem is that you get the occasional false positive, so it's not something I recommend doing long term, unless you have a method in place to deal with that. (I gave the user denied signup a way to contact me in case he was falsely detected to be using a VPN.)

But in general, my method is not to inspect IPs until there's a problem. So if someone is suspected of being a fake account or sock, I look at the IP. If it's a VPN/proxy, I tell them I will need to see their real IP address, and that they are going to need to login from their home or work IP, and not a cell phone or from Starbucks.

Once I see that, I save their real IP and tell them they can return to the VPN.

Yes, I realize someone could go to a friend's house or a business with an open Wifi and satisfy my requirement, but at least I'll have their approximate geographic location, which is already a big clue, because you can rule out a lot of possibilities. For example if "John" is suspected of being a sock of a guy named "Henry", I can be fairly certain that John isn't the same person as Henry if John's location is 3000 miles away from Henry's.

None of this is foolproof, but most forum trolls aren't expert hackers. Usually if you demand a "real" home/work IP, and know how to identify one, then you will know a lot more, and it will be harder for people using socks to get away with it.

Anyway, it's not easy, but it's not particularly difficult, either.

I will say that, in my opinion, it's rather foolish to get away with letting a suspected sock hide behind a VPN. If you see that, you should at least force them to very briefly unmask. But I won't tell Mike how to run his forum.
Last edited by: DanDruff on Apr 8, 2021
coachbelly
coachbelly
  • Threads: 1
April 8th, 2021 at 4:55:09 AM permalink
Quote: DanDruff

But in general, my method is not to inspect IPs until there's a problem.
So if someone is suspected of being a fake account or sock, I look at the IP.

Suspected by whom?

Are all such suspicions investigated?
FTB
FTB
  • Threads: 7
April 8th, 2021 at 6:39:36 AM permalink

Cheers BNMOAT.

I'll say again. By even having this thread, we give clues to mischief makers as to how they can evade detection. So I'm not going to say what tools I/We have.
Gut and experience is a part of it. Sometimes we see a new user and KNOW it's a sock and ban him/her. We may not have proof and we may not even know which ne'er do well it is. But fortunately we have that authority from Wizard. It's used with discretion, including by wizard.

I just wish* I didn't have to see decent contributing members frequently suspended because they cannot resist taking the bait of other clever members. I also wish junk threads could be allowed to decay gracefully instead of getting bumped all the time by said Decent members.
"I just wanted to challenge his nonsense = I just bumped his thread to the longest and most read"
"I blocked him and ignored his nonsense = I helped to bury that thread"

It's not rocket science.

*I also wish for peace on Earth and an end to disease. I'll settle for 1/3

Quote: FTB

Incidentally, had some regulars here not responded to that “other” thread when it debuted back in 2019, it probably would have faded away into obscurity back then and before it made it to the overly long thread it is now.

But because the OP got the attention and/or validation OP apparently craved, you can now fast forward to today where some are borderline obsessed over OP and/or OP’s threads across multiple forums.

You reap what you sow, as the saying goes. But it might not be too late. I don’t know. Consider this post “advice.”

Playing #DH Texas Poker# Texas Hold 'Em by Droid Hen Droidhen use referral code 8pjpdna
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 8th, 2021 at 6:40:05 AM permalink

But in general, my method is not to inspect IPs until there's a problem. So if someone is suspected of being a fake account or sock, I look at the IP. If it's a VPN/proxy, I tell them I will need to see their real IP address, and that they are going to need to login from their home or work IP, and not a cell phone or from Starbucks.

Thanks Dan! What site do you prefer to check an IP? What can you tell me about this IP: 72.193.121.71, for example?
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 43
April 8th, 2021 at 6:52:24 AM permalink

Thanks Dan! What site do you prefer to check an IP? What can you tell me about this IP: 72.193.121.71, for example?

Plug that in here:

https://iplocation.com/
Last edited by: teliot on Apr 8, 2021
Climate Casino: https://climatecasino.net/climate-casino/
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
April 8th, 2021 at 7:25:20 AM permalink
🤔 Fighting so many alligators one forgets the purpose is to drain the swamp.
kewlj
kewlj
April 8th, 2021 at 9:39:34 AM permalink

I will say that, in my opinion, it's rather foolish to get away with letting a suspected sock hide behind a VPN. If you see that, you should at least force them to very briefly unmask. But I won't tell Mike how to run his forum.

Thanks for weighing in Dan Druff. Just curious, how many (approximate) members at your forum are using a VPN ?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
April 8th, 2021 at 9:44:55 AM permalink

It tells us that some Math Nerd was located on Via Della Amore between Plaza Navona & via Toscana using Cox Communications 🤓
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
April 8th, 2021 at 9:49:14 AM permalink

Thanks for weighing in Dan Druff. Just curious, how many (approximate) members at your forum are using a VPN ?

There are actually only 10 real members. 😂
kewlj
kewlj
April 8th, 2021 at 10:10:02 AM permalink

There are actually only 10 real members. 😂

I don't know about that, but I was trying to draw out the number of members are using VPN's right now on his forum, because the answer is 1. And that same "1" is on this forum, one of several on this forum, but, in reality, they are all connected. :)

And when you think about that, you have to ask why? You mentioned your need for VPN's in your online gambling. That makes sense. But why does someone need to use a VPN on a message board. The only legitimate reason I have heard is if they are from a country like China or North Korea, Russia or whatever.

Most of us here are from the US or Canada with some other international locations mixed in. Even those of us that have concerns about privacy in real life (mostly against the casino industry), because we are advantage players, there is no need to mask IP addresses on a forum. The only people masking IP addresses are up to NO GOOD. They are doing so to hide sockpuppetry or to hide that they are not where they say they are, not matching up with any back story or claims.
Last edited by: kewlj on Apr 8, 2021
OnceDear
OnceDear
April 8th, 2021 at 10:46:45 AM permalink

The only people masking IP addresses are up to NO GOOD. They are doing so to hide sockpuppetry or to hide that they are not where they say they are, not matching up with any back story or claims.

Very Often, but not necessarily.

Let's say a member habitually uses the internet from a corporate or government network which has strict network use rules. She frequently connects to a forum and the admins identify the connection as operated by say, a specific Walgreens. Walgreens see that an employee is spending hours on a forum and get angry. Both MIGHT intercept the traffic or analyse it later.

She might get disciplined by Walgreens management or she may get harassed at her place of work by a forum moderator. So. Two valid, if weak reasons to use a vpn: To hide destination site from her employer and to hide her employer from destination site admins.

Of course, those are peripheral reasons and I can see no reason why she would need to use a vpn when on her own mobile connection, at any time.

I Like Dan's process. Thanks Dan. There's a few sites that give different and copious info on an IP. Some have a VPN? Yes/no marker. Not an exact science, though.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
April 8th, 2021 at 10:51:30 AM permalink

The only people masking IP addresses are up to NO GOOD. They are doing so to hide sockpuppetry or to hide that they are not where they say they are, not matching up with any back story or claims.

Not always true. One person was for his perception of GOOD.😉

The sign said, "please dont feed the animals." They ignored the sign and got eatin. The sign shouldve said "if you feed the animals, they will eat you."
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
April 8th, 2021 at 10:52:47 AM permalink

I don't know about that, but I was trying to draw out the number of members are using VPN's right now, because the answer is 1.

And when you think about that, you have to ask why? You mentioned your need for VPN's in your online gambling. That makes sense.
But why does someone need to use a VPN on a message board. The only legitimate reason I have hear is if they are from a country like China or North Korea, Russia or whatever.

Most of us here are from the US or Canada with some other international locations mixed in. Even those of us that have concerns about privacy in real life (mostly against the casino industry), because we are advantage players, there is no need to mask IP addresses on a forum. The only people masking IP addresses are up to NO GOOD. They are doing so to hide sockpuppetry or to hide that they are not where they say they are, not matching up with any back story or claims.

The only time I might log into the forums while using a VPN is when I happened to be playing at an online casino from my main devices. However, I guess there are some reasons people might want to use a VPN on the forums.
kewlj
kewlj
April 8th, 2021 at 11:02:44 AM permalink

Very Often, but not necessarily.

Let's say a member habitually uses the internet from a corporate or government network which has strict network use rules. She frequently connects to a forum and the admins identify the connection as operated by say, a specific Walgreens. Walgreens see that an employee is spending hours on a forum and get angry. Both MIGHT intercept the traffic or analyse it later.

She might get disciplined by Walgreens management or she may get harassed at her place of work by a forum moderator. So. Two valid, if weak reasons to use a vpn: To hide destination site from her employer and to hide her employer from destination site admins.

Of course, those are peripheral reasons and I can see no reason why she would need to use a vpn when on her own mobile connection, at any time.

I Like Dan's process. Thanks Dan. There's a few sites that give different and copious info on an IP. Some have a VPN? Yes/no marker. Not an exact science, though.

Funny, you should use the example of Walgreens and the pronoun "she". LoL. I am sure very random. :/
kewlj
kewlj
April 8th, 2021 at 11:05:32 AM permalink

The only time I might log into the forums while using a VPN is when I happened to be playing at an online casino from my main devices. However, I guess there are some reasons people might want to use a VPN on the forums.

Sir, no one is accusing YOU of anything here. YOU are good. No need to defend anything. We all know what and who we are talking about here.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
April 8th, 2021 at 2:48:02 PM permalink

I don't know about that, but I was trying to draw out the number of members are using VPN's right now on his forum, because the answer is 1. And that same "1" is on this forum, one of several on this forum, but, in reality, they are all connected. :)

And when you think about that, you have to ask why? You mentioned your need for VPN's in your online gambling. That makes sense. But why does someone need to use a VPN on a message board. The only legitimate reason I have heard is if they are from a country like China or North Korea, Russia or whatever.

It is more than just the countries you listed. There is a vast swath of the world that you cannot access both, this and WOO legally without a VPN. Basically any country in which gambling is illegal (which also tend be the countries that censor the internet) you cannot legally accesses (and this site) WOO without a VPN.

And, by population (and area) this is a not insignificant portion of the world for those that travel a lot.
  • Jump to: